What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The random gibberish Alexa suddenly interjects into our lives is even more worrying never mind our TV potentially monitoring our conversations unless we keep checking the default setting.

I think the listening software must be buried deep in these things - I’ve turned off Siri but doesn’t seem to make much difference.
I’d never get Alexa fo this reason - I heard reports that a few of them had started laughing in the middle of the night!!!!! Terrifying!

Reactions: geefull and Viv19

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. So low carb high fat end of week one, we weight has gone down by 7 lb I’m sleeping slightly better, my fbg is stable and I’m in board for the long haul. 6.2 this morning following salmon salad for dinner yesterday. Onwards to another week

Oh what great results with the bonus of sleeping slightly better. Very well done.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the listening software must be buried deep in these things - I’ve turned off Siri but doesn’t seem to make much difference.
I’d never get Alexa fo this reason - I heard reports that a few of them had started laughing in the middle of the night!!!!! Terrifying!

They listen to you, even when you sleep.
Apart from the wonder wheel of Libra we don’t have anything electronic above the naughty step in our house (some folk are now using the term “thinking step” but they probably have little understanding of small people [“probably”, probably not needed here]).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They listen to you, even when you sleep.
Apart from the wonder wheel of Libra we don’t have anything electronic above the naughty step in our house (some folk are now using the term “thinking step” but they probably have little understanding of small people [“probably”, probably not needed here]).
Oh, now we are moving to a house we will have a naughty step. I fear I may be spending rather a large proportion of my indoor time there. Suddenly golfing seems like a plan.

Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

Thanks for the man hug. As well as tomato thumb, I now have a dangerous bout of turmeric fingers having chopped up a couple of tumeric tubers this morning to make a new batch of turmeric tea.

I’ve been reading through the new posts, my third finger is throbbing due to trapping it in a door, tearing one side open near the nail.
I used to think that ‘when I was older’ I would be less accident prone. It was my aim to recover from one incident before the next happens. Now I’m way past that - the grey cells are disappearing and I suspect it’s only downhill from now on.

Viv19

6.1 today snap @PenguinMum and fingers crossed it’s hay fever not a cold. The eye injection seems to have come round quickly. I love your shopping list!!!
@dunelm tomato slicing cuts are horrible - the juice really stings. At least they are red so the blood wouldn’t notice in your salad!
@Krystyna23040 lovely analogy with our livers and Dennis type mischief. Glad you managed to stay with a nice level bg. I think you’re absolutely right that Kindles, phones, iPads etc can certainly read our minds, or at least listen in. I’ve tested this sometimes by deliberately talking about a subject I’ve no interest in - such as golf, and lo and behold adverts for golf clubs appear in the next couple of days. Spooky!

The listening in topic is funny. I was told, long ago, of staff at Embassies in the East Bloc (ie behind the old Iron Curtain). I don’t remember which country, but apparently when things in the state-controlled apartment were not working, it was very difficult to get anyone to come to fix anything. So they tried something else. Instead of reporting the problem, they sat with their colleagues in the apartment and talked about how useless this country was, and how nobody could repair anything, words to the effect ‘it just shows how pathetic this system is.’
Result! Somebody arrived at the next possible time to repair the problem which had not been reported. ;-)))

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm step away from the knife drawer immediately..good grief!
@Viv19 that injury sounds horrible too! I am almost afraid to open the cutlery drawer today! @Bildad and @DJC3 the animal antics are funny. Its a good job we love them otherwise...my cats have thrashed all our furniture with scratching but when we move and replace the sofas I have discovered a roll of what I can only describe as giant sellotape on Amazon which is meant to deter them. My late MIL always made us laugh when she related the story of the puppy they left for the afternoon. When they returned it had scratched off all the wallpaper to a certain height all around the room.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The listening in topic is funny. I was told, long ago, of staff at Embassies in the East Bloc (ie behind the old Iron Curtain). I don’t remember which country, but apparently when things in the state-controlled apartment were not working, it was very difficult to get anyone to come to fix anything. So they tried something else. Instead of reporting the problem, they sat with their colleagues in the apartment and talked about how useless this country was, and how nobody could repair anything, words to the effect ‘it just shows how pathetic this system is.’
Result! Somebody arrived at the next possible time to repair the problem which had not been reported. ;-)))

Haha brilliant!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well photo shoot for the article in The Sun is done thank heaven and you’ll all be pleased to hear I got to keep my top on!
Dennis was very confused about having to walk the same 4 yards down the lane again and again, and point blank refused to sit nicely in the flower bed looking angelic - there was a big bee buzzing around so no chance! He only tried to chew the camera man’s case once at the end so a good result I think. No idea when it’s appearing.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well photo shoot for the article in The Sun is done thank heaven and you’ll all be pleased to hear I got to keep my top on!
Dennis was very confused about having to walk the same 4 yards down the lane again and again, and point blank refused to sit nicely in the flower bed looking angelic - there was a big bee buzzing around so no chance! He only tried to chew the camera man’s case once at the end so a good result I think. No idea when it’s appearing.
Well done to you and Dennis, superstars. When you find out give us the heads up on when it will be published.

Viv19

Well done- and clothed even!! You must tell us where we can read/view the article.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

4.6 today

anyone know how to reset the default typeface setting on here? since I've reinstalled stuff I have to log in again every day and it keeps defaulting to tiny 'times new roman' which is a bit bizarre :sorry: so I must have done something wrong.

It's raining gently here so we're having a quiet day pottering around doing jobs around the house after our gutter cleaning endeavours yesterday at mum's. Mr gee is indeed a 'keeper' @jjraak :D

@ianpspurs I'm not so keen on the gooseberry picking myself, endlessly spiky, there are two green gooseberry bushes at mum's and one red gooseberry bush here, ours doesn't always do well because of the sandy soil but with all the rain it's done pretty well this year. mr gee and his mum both like gooseberry fool or crumble and at least they are easier to 'top and tail' than blackcurrants.

Hope your day is treating you well :)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
anyone know how to reset the default typeface setting on here? since I've reinstalled stuff I have to log in again every day and it keeps defaulting to tiny 'times new roman' which is a bit bizarre :sorry: so I must have done something wrong.

I just check the coding and it uses the default, so, you can't change it via the site. I see it in Verdana because my browser is set to Verdana, not the site. So you will have to change your browser settings, as you have re-installed everything they will have all gone back to defaults.

Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Viv19 and @PenguinMum I’ll certainly let you know when I find out. @Debandez was doing the same thing this afternoon so maybe she knows more?
Kept my clothes on too! Photographer said that all he knows is that they prepare these articles ready for a lull in the news. Not going to happen any time soon! But a few of us had photos done today so my guess is it might be sooner rather than later. My interviewer said it's a full week on diabetes. DCUK behind it I'm sure she said. Happy days.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like your style JJ that sounds amazing! Thats where I go wrong I always celebrate with a G&T ;) Thanks to you and @dunelm for explaining the excess sugar after fasting...very useful I didnt know that. Bet @Krystyna23040 feels much happier now.
Check out Jason Fung on you tube. He puts it in simple terms (great for me!) And is pure genius.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got text back, to say happy an understatement.

"HBA1c NORMAL..stop...EATWELL OBVIOUSLY WORKING..stop..HAVE A BIG BANANA SANDWICH TO CELEBRATE..stop..."

Ok it did only say bloods normal...;)
and i'm still awaiting actual score, but jolly happy...

thank YOU ALL so much for the Guidance, Camaraderie, Banter, Fun & laughs.

You helped me stay on track AND kept me sane in a ever increasingly mad world.

Love you all.xx
Right back at ya! So happy for you.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Safe and sound @PenguinMum just slept very late for me -2 mornings running at the hotel 8.00 to 8.30. Julie needed plenty of tramadol before moving about so dash for breakfast, room clearance and home. Now home and tucking into several pints of tea. @gennepher great news about being in the 6s. @jjraak fantastic results and I am pretty certain you could pass as normal - in some areas of Norfolk at least. That IR tool is useful and thanks to @ziggy_w for the link. She seems to have dropped off the radar unless she is on other threads. The trigs element is my saviour but you should storm it with those results.
Ziggy hasn't posted for a while so must be busy.

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19