What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
21-07-19
Breakfast, 2 scrambled eggs, 40g bacon in a croissant.
Mid morning 2 biscuits with LG tea
Lunch smoked salmon and baguette (30g)
Salads and dips as yesterday, a pear.
Dinner chicken thighs, few potatoes from my veg patch, the first so far. Seems the woodmice have taken their tithe.
Courgette, onion, peppers and tomato fry up ,Sort of ratatouille. Several glasses of wine. Lot of cheese for snacks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah I’m glad the UHT method worked. Thanks I’ll give it another go I think. Using a coffee filter is a good idea too - wouldn’t have thought of that, how long did it take to strain?
I didn’t know you could use the whey to start the next batch either, good to know.

To be honest, it depends how thick you want it. I actually need to add more whey back, as it was gorgeus this morning, but very, very thick and rich.

It strained faster first time, when I used a muslin cloth, but I rather liked the idea of tip over the paper, give it a little shake and throw it away. I'd guess, through muslin about an hour, maybe double that for coffee filter.

I was delighted to read there's no real need to refrigerate whilst straining, as the yog is acidic enough to be safe for a few hours. I did have a food cover over it when straining though, so that protected it frrom any adventurous flies or the like.

For me, the whey started batch was silkier too.

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doubt you ever look like a clown. Wrong day but as I have told y'all frequently, I don't wear makeup on Thursday. No makeup for Dennis? BTW, how many carbs in makeup?

He looks a million dollars au naturel. Hopefully nobody will be looking at me.

Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

To be honest, I only bake rarely these days, so the bread/scones option will be very infrequent. In my search for other uses, I found this article:

https://saladinajar.com/recipes-with-yogurt/18-ways-to-use-whey-a-by-product-of-greek-yogurt/

What I like about the coffee filters is it's just a turn over, the almost cheese-like yoghurt peels away, and throw away the paper. Repeat or rinse the seive.

The filters were bought for clarifying alcohol infusions, but didn't quite work (too much lost in the process), so my rhubarb and ginger gin just stays a little cloudy. My Ginnamon remains legendary (in this hacienda anyway.).

I tried making ricotta cheese with the whey but wasn’t successful. I read that it works with whey from making cheese. No idea what difference might be.
Agree, with LC the bread/scone option is no longer usable.
Keeping feta cheese fresh is a good idea. I always have some that I have to throw away because OH doesn’t eat it.
I also read about using it as a fertiliser for tomatoes. Can’t try it out this year, we were away too long to be able to keep them going. Only surviving plant has no flowers.
Do you make tzatziki with your greek yoghurt? It’s gorgeous. The extremely thick version is perfect for it because, even after removing seeds and salting, cucumber usually thins it down.
Actually thinking about that, I’ll make some for our mini bbq tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Cashew nuts

Breakfast at a wi fi place (I have nearly run out of data for this month.so updated my devices there)
Eggs Royale on Salmon with hollandaise sauce
Cappuccino

Came back home...
Cooked mushrooms and heated up the chicken, and had baby leaves heated in butter.
Tea and more and more tea
Then a very small tin fruit salad, and double cream

Water

Tea again, and with freeze dried fruit

Tea and water for rest of day

>^..^<

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Tea with co-codamol at 0730, which put me back to sleep for an hour.
Still groggy at 1115 but had one Ryvita with peanut butter so that I could take my morning pills. By that time my BG was up from 9 to 15.9 - just on tea and co-codamol! I took extra insulin before the Ryvita and by lunchtime it came down to 10.5. so I took more insulin and had a few spoons of yoghurt and more tea.
Dinner will be baked beans with lots of vegetables in the sauce with some slices of chicken poached in chicken stock. Of course, baked beans are supposed to be haricot beans but I realised that I didn't have any, so had a choice of chickpeas and butter beans. I might want the chickpeas for hummus so I used the butter beans. In the oven now, but I'm not sure how they will turn out. The sauce is good though, with lots of basil in it.
Anyone would think I was feeling enthusiastic about cooking. I was earlier, but it has faded again. Just as well the beans are in the oven and the chicken already poached. I did think I might have some lamb tagine left for today, but when it defrosted it turned out to have more sauce than solids - it was good though, even if I had to finish it off with a spoon.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah I’m glad the UHT method worked. Thanks I’ll give it another go I think. Using a coffee filter is a good idea too - wouldn’t have thought of that, how long did it take to strain?
I didn’t know you could use the whey to start the next batch either, good to know.
Do you think this would work with soya milk? My son goes through loads of soya yoghurt and our local shops are very haphazard in their supplies of it. He can't eat any other type, though, due to allergies.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried making ricotta cheese with the whey but wasn’t successful. I read that it works with whey from making cheese. No idea what difference might be.
Agree, with LC the bread/scone option is no longer usable.
Keeping feta cheese fresh is a good idea. I always have some that I have to throw away because OH doesn’t eat it.
I also read about using it as a fertiliser for tomatoes. Can’t try it out this year, we were away too long to be able to keep them going. Only surviving plant has no flowers.
Do you make tzatziki with your greek yoghurt? It’s gorgeous. The extremely thick version is perfect for it because, even after removing seeds and salting, cucumber usually thins it down.
Actually thinking about that, I’ll make some for our mini bbq tonight.

I thought rennet or lemon juice was the way to ricotta, but haven't trried it.

To be honest, as plants, such as tomatoes loveit, I think I'll be saving enough for a starter, a bit spare for loosening existing yoghurt, should I want to, then feed the garden with the rest.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think this would work with soya milk? My son goes through loads of soya yoghurt and our local shops are very haphazard in their supplies of it. He can't eat any other type, though, due to allergies.

There seem to be endless recipes and YouTube videos for it. It's a long incubation period (14 hours), but done overnight, with pre-planning should be OK, I guess.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I see @DCUKMod has already answered, happily as I didn’t know either! Hope it works for you.
Edit to add a hug for the Co codamol effects. I do hope you feel better soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eaten today

Cashew nuts

Breakfast at a wi fi place (I have nearly run out of data for this month.so updated my devices there)
Eggs Royale on Salmon with hollandaise sauce
Cappuccino

Came back home...
Cooked mushrooms and heated up the chicken, and had baby leaves heated in butter.
Tea and more and more tea
Then a very small tin fruit salad, and double cream

Water

Tea again, and with freeze dried fruit

Tea and water for rest of day

>^..^<

I love the sound of your breakfast. Sounds like a good place.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
22-07-19
Feeling a bit strange this morning. Physically fine, just a bit tired. Hardly surprising after the intensity of tbe last few days and weeks. Should be packing, we leave very early tomorrow morning. Instead have finally made the nut granola, had to use olive oil, hope that won't come through too strongly. Didnt get organised enough for breakfast until gone 11pm
Fried eggs and bacon on beau et bon toast. (16g carbs in 2 slices) LG tea. Have been making but not drinking it for a few days.
About an hour later had
Coffee, and two slices of toasted brioche, finishing it up is my excuse.
We need to change bedrooms before the family arrive. So mass washing of bedding. Its not dirty, but a bit stale. Needs freshening up. Quick dash to the shop for obligatory goodies.
Lunch: avocado, tomato and locally produced goats cheese salad, with home grown lettuce and radish,( must put some more seeds in) finished up the hommous.
More not doing the neccessary in the afternoon.
Finally getting organised, piles of clothes on the bed, bedding in the motorhome and I get phone call from MrSlim, come and share champagne... so you can guess where we are now

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Coffee and cream times 3. And I'm still tired.
Lunch: Confit Duck, mushrooms and broccoli. Yoghurt, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, blueberries, dark chocolate. Two GG Scandinavian crispbread with cheese and marmite.

Hi @ert your food sounds lovely. Did you make the duck confit yourself?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it’s been an interesting day with the photo shoot for The Sun article this morning. I said to the photographer ‘this is worse than my wedding day’ I meant all the forced smiling for photos. I think he knew what I meant. Dennis behaved for the most part but I don’t think he has a career in front of the camera ahead of him.
Started the day with my usual jug of CWC
Lunch DD breakfast sandwich then one of the 30g bars of Montezuma’s Absolute Black which arrived today. I’d forgotten I’d ordered them so it was a lovely surprise. Fewer than 3G carbs per bar!
Dinner: leftover cauliflower cheese, leftover gammon and sf jelly with cream and a sprinkle of lc choc granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
22-07-19
Feeling a bit strange this morning. Physically fine, just a bit tired. Hardly surprising after the intensity of tbe last few days and weeks. Should be packing, we leave very early tomorrow morning. Instead have finally made the nut granola, had to use olive oil, hope that won't come through too strongly. Didnt get organised enough for breakfast until gone 11pm
Fried eggs and bacon on beau et bon toast. (16g carbs in 2 slices) LG tea. Have been making but not drinking it for a few days.
About an hour later had
Coffee, and two slices of toasted brioche, finishing it up is my excuse.
We need to change bedrooms before the family arrive. So mass washing of bedding. Its not dirty, but a bit stale. Needs freshening up. Quick dash to the shop for obligatory goodies.
Lunch: avocado, tomato and locally produced goats cheese salad, with home grown lettuce and radish,( must put some more seeds in) finished up the hommous.
More not doing the neccessary in the afternoon.
Finally getting organised, piles of clothes on the bed, bedding in the motorhome and I get phone call from MrSlim, come and share champagne... so you can guess where we are now

What a lovely end to your day.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hot, trending towards scorchio and BBC took the liberty of having some woman on the 6 O'clock news talking from my back garden:angelic: Very samey menu again but 7 consecutive days being able to function totally exceeds my expectations so change ain't gonna come anytime soon. B = tea a plenty. 14.00 hrs flaxseed and PHP not cracker with 4 egg h/m mayo. Did eat some Cornish blue and garlic and herb cheddar while making that. Evening meal - approx 4.5 hrs later - cheddar, twiska gouda and avocado salad with plenty chia seeds and extra drizzle of EVO. One does find the snack cucumbers amusing. More herby garlic cheddar while making.
You will be smiling all the time @DJC3 once we are led by that overstuffed Oxfam bag looky likey.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Todays food:
Breakfast: usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: 2 small slices ham, 2 tabsp Cheese coleslaw to use it up.
Supper: a kind of Spanish casserole (pack from Waitrose) chicken, chorizo, peppers abd beans, added tin of tomatoes. Serve with rice for OH and either on its own or small green veg for me.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot, trending towards scorchio and BBC took the liberty of having some woman on the 6 O'clock news talking from my back garden:angelic: Very samey menu again but 7 consecutive days being able to function totally exceeds my expectations so change ain't gonna come anytime soon. B = tea a plenty. 14.00 hrs flaxseed and PHP not cracker with 4 egg h/m mayo. Did eat some Cornish blue and garlic and herb cheddar while making that. Evening meal - approx 4.5 hrs later - cheddar, twiska gouda and avocado salad with plenty chia seeds and extra drizzle of EVO. One does find the snack cucumbers amusing. More herby garlic cheddar while making.
You will be smiling all the time @DJC3 once we are led by that overstuffed Oxfam bag looky likey.
Glad you are feeling better.