What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eek- here goes my first post!
Breakfast was lardons fried in olive oil and my first no- carb home made baguette. I got the recipe from my new cook book: Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi’s The Diabetes Weightloss Cookbook. The bread is made with almond flour, psyllium husk powder and egg whites. I put 6tbsp of sunflower seeds. I have only done a few recipes but I love this book! I am on 49 on diabetes marker and a good few stone overweight. Have lost weight recently - about half a stone which has cheered me up so much. I also feel calm and happy- I’m thinking this low carb diet is working for me. Hi everyone!!!

Hi @Magfit and welcome to this thread. I read on another thread how good this book is and I’m now tempted to buy it. Especially having seen the Caldesis talk at the PHC conference earlier this year. Do they give carb counts for their recipes?

Reactions: gennepher

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A very quiet relaxing day for me.
CWC this morning.
12:00 chicken leg and veg left over from yesterday. Made some Choc nut squares and ate some. Also made lc Bounty’s but not eaten any (yet)
Dinner was fillet steak from our wonderful butcher with asparagus and spinach. Glass of red ( at least 1) and some cheese in a few mins.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 fascinated by the wedding guest in the pineapple suit and the breakfasters barefoot in their pjs. Last night in a renowned and traditional restaurant there was a girl in my eyeline wearing a strip of material which barely covered her n***les and lady bits and nothing else. TG she was wearing underwear Sometimes I feel I am another species!
Yesterdays food:
Breakfast: small slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x1
No lunch as travelling but bottles of water, 2 small oatcakes.
Dinner: (out)a soft as butter sirloin steak a few leaves and a tomato. 2 glasses excellent Spanish red. Lots of water.
The tummy issues have finally resolved and the bloating gone. The nourishment of a good steak did me good I think. Out to dinner in a fish restaurant tonight wonder what the dress etiquette will be there!

So glad your tum is ok now. Can’t beat a good steak. I’m sure the fish will be good for you too.
Paul Simon’s ‘Mother and child reunion’ has just come on the radio and made me think of you. Have a good weekend.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What will your first meal be? Chicken wings? Halloumi chips a la @Brunneria ? Lamb chops?

Depends when it arrives. Due at the collection point tomorrow. I have some lamb ribs (never cooked them before but they looked nice) so if it arrives in time for my evening meal, will give those a whirl. Otherwise maybe chicken wings and halloumi fries on Monday.

Am impressed that any of the choc squares are left. Seriously moreish.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh. Be still my heart.

Moo Grob. Thank you @DCUKMod
No pics cos I was digging in.

35 mins in IP, 15 mins in oven (but will use airfryer turned v low next time. You can have far too much watching up, you know). Then 15mins on 180 in airfryer.

Also have 3 more portions cooling ready for stages 2 and 3.

Oh, and nearly forgot, B was a muffinless maccies egg sausage macmuffin after a wonderfull dog walk.
Amazing how a treat focusses the mind on bringing the ball back...

And L was 3 airfryer egg cups, like these. Basically mini quiches. 6 fit into the airfryer tray, and they only take 11 mins. My version was courgette, tom, peppers, chorizo and goatscheese for Mr B, with just chorizo and goatscheese for me. 7 eggs made 12 cups, so only 2/3rds egg per cup. I will encourage Mr B to eat 3 of them, plus beans, or sausage, or another protein. While my batch is veg-less so ok alone for 2-3 as a smallish meal.

https://paleoishkrista.com/air-fryer-breakfast-cups/
upload_2019-8-3_20-8-7.jpeg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fry up eggs, bacon and two orange rapture tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon at Nero’s: coconut cappuccino and peanut PhD bar.
Dinner: lamb kebab with salad and garlic mayo and two small mouthfuls of pitta, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Welcome to the thread @Magfit glad low carb seems to be working for you.

@DCUKMod if the cream is an IP creation I might be getting more interested.

@DJC3 pleased you found the recipe.

OMAD today. Long, slow walk along the Thames which involved some unexpected free drinks. Wandered into the Doubletree in Bermondsey in search of a loo/drink and spotting an open door to a terrace with people drinking, wandered in only to find it was the executive lounge with a fridge full of free drinks :D would have been rude not to :D

Just polished off slow cooked beef short rib. Yum.

In other news, am eagerly awaiting the arrival of this (why do all of them have pictures of chips?!)

View attachment 34646

I hate to tell you this Goonergal, but the answer is a big, fat "Yes"!

To be fair, I reckon it could be done in the slow cooker. All you need to do isheat the cream to c82c, then keep it warm for 8-10 hours, so the heating could be done on the hob, then transferred to the slow cooker, on low? It could be worth a whirl, but then when you read @Bruneria 's review of Moo Grob and it's deliciousness, you may teeter on the edge.

The Moo Grob can be done without an IP, but it just makes it much, much quicker.

D

Deleted member 308541

Anyone ever gone down to a hotel breakfast in their PJ's?
Not much good to me as I do not wear pygamas and I am not people friendly in the morning. I go to bed in my underpants. I cannot see the point in getting undressed then dresssing again for bed.

When I stay in hotels / motels room service is the go.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate to tell you this Goonergal, but the answer is a big, fat "Yes"!

To be fair, I reckon it could be done in the slow cooker. All you need to do isheat the cream to c82c, then keep it warm for 8-10 hours, so the heating could be done on the hob, then transferred to the slow cooker, on low? It could be worth a whirl, but then when you read @Bruneria 's review of Moo Grob and it's deliciousness, you may teeter on the edge.

The Moo Grob can be done without an IP, but it just makes it much, much quicker.

Oh dear. At this rate I’ll need to ditch the gas oven (currently used mainly as an oversized plate warmer) to make space for all the gadgets :D

Reactions: Viv19 and maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear. At this rate I’ll need to ditch the gas oven (currently used mainly as an oversized plate warmer) to make space for all the gadgets :D

If it's any help, the IP has a two-heat slow coking function, so you might find your slow cooker superfluous.

The IP entered our lives when I noticed a crack through our slow cooker inner, and I decided anything new coming into the kitchen had to do more than slow cook. The footprint of the 6qt pot is about the same as our old slow cooker.

Just a thought.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@maglil55 love halloumi fries.
02-08-19. Reconstruction from memory
Breakfast: nut granola, scrambled eggs,
tea x2
Lunch Salad, ham, pate, small piece of baguette coleslaw.
Dinner BBQ chicken thigh, courgette, mushroom and pepper skewers, Salad, pistachio creme dessert with raspberries and generous helping of cream
Tea at bedtime.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends when it arrives. Due at the collection point tomorrow. I have some lamb ribs (never cooked them before but they looked nice) so if it arrives in time for my evening meal, will give those a whirl. Otherwise maybe chicken wings and halloumi fries on Monday.

Am impressed that any of the choc squares are left. Seriously moreish.

I bet lamb ribs would be good, but I’ve never seen them anywhere.
Agree those choc nut squares are very moreish. I’m feeling quite proud of myself for not having scoffed the lot.

Reactions: Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh. Be still my heart.

Moo Grob. Thank you @DCUKMod
No pics cos I was digging in.

35 mins in IP, 15 mins in oven (but will use airfryer turned v low next time. You can have far too much watching up, you know). Then 15mins on 180 in airfryer.

Also have 3 more portions cooling ready for stages 2 and 3.

Oh, and nearly forgot, B was a muffinless maccies egg sausage macmuffin after a wonderfull dog walk.
Amazing how a treat focusses the mind on bringing the ball back...

And L was 3 airfryer egg cups, like these. Basically mini quiches. 6 fit into the airfryer tray, and they only take 11 mins. My version was courgette, tom, peppers, chorizo and goatscheese for Mr B, with just chorizo and goatscheese for me. 7 eggs made 12 cups, so only 2/3rds egg per cup. I will encourage Mr B to eat 3 of them, plus beans, or sausage, or another protein. While my batch is veg-less so ok alone for 2-3 as a smallish meal.

https://paleoishkrista.com/air-fryer-breakfast-cups/
View attachment 34651

I’ve missed moo grob post. What on earth is it?
Also - those egg cups look v quick and easy in the airfryer. I didn’t realise it could be used for that sort of thing. Are they silicone cups?

Reactions: Viv19 and Goonergal
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Toasted prawn sandwiches and several of the foaming low carb XXXX Gold beers at the club.
Dinner: Rolled leg of mutton, veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, smokey bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sweetener, beer, water.

rrfZS.jpg

D

Deleted member 308541

I bet lamb ribs would be good, but I’ve never seen them anywhere.
The only thing I can think of it's another flash name for cut up mutton flaps or breast of lamb as they are sometimes called.

By the look of the ribs in this pix that is exactly what they are.

organic_lamb_ribs.jpg

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Magfit and welcome to the thread. I almost feel as though I am replying to myself. @ianpspurs- dodgy indeed. 5.7 proof but he still claims it was nice as the time. Trouble is he likes dark beer which is not too easy to get this side of the border. The place we were in was great and actually brought a tray for his own "beer tasting" and the German beer won! In the hotel he's been on Black Sheep - a Theakstons but the German beer stopped his finishing his full large bottle tonight. We move on tomorrow but only as far as Manchester Airport. SIL & BIL start the long haul back to Australia on Monday so feeling a bit down. @Brunneria - love the look of the mini quiche. Chester was mobbed today but tomorrow will be worse - race day!
Bed 5.7 FBG 6.7. Libre has finally settled.
B. Usual pot of coffee with cream. 2 GF sausages, 1 rasher back bacon, 1 fried egg, mushrooms, 1 Slice GF black pudding and my 1 Slice of GF toast. I'm really going to miss breakfast being made although Hubby pointed out its only 9 weeks until we meet up with my ex workmates/spouses in Newcastle.
L. Coffee with the in laws people watching. Been really lucky with the weather.
D. Campari and soda and two white wine spritzers. Started with chilli and tomato king prawns - spicy but nice spicy. Main was a warm steak salad with halloumi fries. This was really good and dressed in lemon, garlic and chilli. Had yet another Irish Coffee.
Still had people coming to breakfast in PJs and bare feet. Can't help thinking my Mum would have killed me. @Tipetoo - did have a laugh at the thought of someone heading for breakfast in boxers! The pineapple suit has left but there were a lot of superheroes today in Chester - batman, Spiderman, Darth Vader, iron man, Anakin Skywalker, obi wan, storm troopers......and many more. No idea why.

Reactions: Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing I can think of it's another flash name for cut up mutton flaps or breast of lamb as they are sometimes called.

By the look of the ribs in this pix that is exactly what they are.

organic_lamb_ribs.jpg

I bet they are really tasty. Prefer the name lamb ribs to mutton flaps though!!!

Reactions: maglil55