What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Viv19

@maglil55

I’m taking a block of halloumi and slicing it 3 times on the longest plane. (Think cutting a cake into 3 layers)
Then i cut the layers into fries that are cross sectionally square, either along or across.
Then I’ve been tossing them in olive oil (because that is the only oil i have in the house, but I want to try melted lard).
No coating - not starting with that phaff!
Have been cooking them at 165degrees for 20mins.
This is both cooler and longer than the online recipes suggest, but I’m finding that mine get golden brown and crispy.
Like this, in proportion and colour
View attachment 34629
The cooler they get on the plate, the crisper they get.
It is a fab crunch!

Those look very tempting. I’m going to have to be strict with myself - no airfryer!!

Reactions: maglil55
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Chicken wings and a hot chilli dipping sauce.
Dinner: Y bone steak and veggies, brown onion gravy served up on a thick china plate.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sweeteners, water.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin also caused diarrhoea with me. But for the stomach ache I had pantoprazol/omep.

I also take Esomeprazole but to be honest, I've been taking it for so many years that I've forgotten why it was prescribed. However, these days, if I don't take it I get severe pain where my gall bladder used to be. Maybe that was why it was prescribed - something to do with having my gall bladder removed.

Food today was -
Breakfast chicken sort of mayo (mayonnaise and yoghurt mixed) and a couple of RyVita - regretted the carb because my bowel started playing up.

Lunch was reheated roasted vegetables from yesterday.

Dinner - out again and all that was on offer was either rice and vegetables or wholemeal pasta and vegetables. I had a spoonful of the pasta because I had to have something. I had taken an orange and lemon cake with me and everyone was saying how good it was, so I had a tiny bit of that as well (just a test, you understand). Inevitably by the time I tested before driving home my BG was 10.

My friend's son had been out fishing earlier in the day and brought home about 40 line caught mackerel. So I was given some of those. Mackerel for dinner tomorrow!

Viv19

I haven’t eaten so much today.
Tea
Cwc
Bread with cheese. Yoghurt and berries.
At various times tea, water, white wine. Nuts. 2 baby bels.
I’ve been cooking- trimming and cooking 3 kg of beef is guaranteed to take away my appetite. But the results seem ok. I used the IP!
@DJC3 This isn’t a big party, just some of the family, so we’ll be 12. OH didn’t want to go out, so we’ll celebrate here. We have a long covered verandah so hopefully it will be warm enough to stay outside. We have a good system- I cook, he’s my sous chef/veg trimmer/washer upper/clear up the kitchen person.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t get a chance to post yesterday’s food, so-
CWC first thing.
Late breakfast of poached egg on 1/2 avocado with halloumi
Lunch was 30g cheddar 30g pecans and 3 lc seedy crackers with almond butter. Then stupidly had some chocolate, then a bit more.... about 40g in all I suppose. I should have had one of the 30g bars
Dinner IP ‘roast’ chicken with veg ( cauliflower and buttered cabbage)
Went to the village carnival and had sf jelly with Greek yoghurt when we got back.
@maglil55 yes I can keep the little pots of cream, good result. Such a shame about the rowdy wedding guests spoiling the ambience. I like the Premier Inn policy of ‘Quiet zone’ and guaranteeing a good night’s sleep. I think more hotels should adopt that.
@Viv19 hope the party goes well.
@Goonergal I’ve forgotten the quantities for your choc nut squares - seemed so simple I didn’t put it in my CMT at the time. I know it was 100g chocolate but how much butter and almond butter?
Edit to add Don’t worry I’ve found it on your CMT!

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Feeling bad last night - the wholemeal pasta that I had at my friend's house had a bad effect on my colicky bowel so tea only from 0630 to 0930.
BG was 12 at that time so took a slightly larger dose of insulin than usual and had raspberries and yoghurt. Then pills and more tea.
Lunch will be a veg mix - maybe stew or soup.
Dinner will be grilled mackerel from the boxfull I was given last night - freshly caught by my friend's son. That and some salad will do fine.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@PenguinMum I've just realised that when I spoke of the surgeon finding malignant polyps in my bowel, you may have thought I meant that colicky bowel problems may be caused by cancerous conditions in the bowel. I didn't mean that. The discovery of the polyps was coincidental and definitely NOT the cause of the pain I had. It was put down to Metformin but I now realise that it had something to do with eating carbohydrate. Of course, if you are concerned, do get checked but your problems will probably not be anything to do with cancer.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BGs a bit higher yesterday. Bed 7.4 FBG 7.5. I was having problems with my hip and leg though which probably accounted for it. I was correct about yesterday's wedding though. Despite the pineapple suit there were no late night melees in the corridors (may also have been due to the signs the hotel put at the ends of the corridors asking late night revellers to keep noise down and be respectful of other guests).
B. Stuck with my fry up. 1 slice GF black pudding, 1 rasher of back bacon, 1 fried egg, 2 GF sausages, mushrooms and 1 slice of GF toast. Pot coffee and cream. Meant to mention yesterday was the first time I have seen guests arriving for breakfast in their pyjamas. Some had slippers on some barefoot. There were some this morning too. Anyone ever gone down to a hotel breakfast in their PJ's?
L. Taking into account my dodgy hip and leg we took the Arriva bus to Warrington as I decided it wasn't far. It's not - in a car - but on a bus that goes here, there and everywhere on A roads its 1.5 hours. Still I saw some places I've never seen before. We were able to wander not too far from the Bus Exchange in Warrington and plenty places to sit and rest inbetween. Stopped at a lovely Italian cafe where I had an Americano with cream, bottle of water and bits of chicken and salad from Hubby's very full chicken sandwich.
D. Out with friends in Chester again (same friends we were out with in Liverpool earlier in the week). Went to a place at the side of the canal - Telfords Warehouse. It was packed. Live music on a Friday, people sitting outside, inside and dining was upstairs. Yet more wine. A starter of a warm goat's cheese, beetroot and pine nut salad. To follow rib eye with a mushroom sauce, field mushroom, cherry tomato, grilled halloumi and a mixed salad. Irish coffee. Beautiful day yesterday.
Hubby now under the weather but self inflicted so no sympathy.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BGs a bit higher yesterday. Bed 7.4 FBG 7.5. I was having problems with my hip and leg though which probably accounted for it. I was correct about yesterday's wedding though. Despite the pineapple suit there were no late night melees in the corridors (may also have been due to the signs the hotel put at the ends of the corridors asking late night revellers to keep noise down and be respectful of other guests).
B. Stuck with my fry up. 1 slice GF black pudding, 1 rasher of back bacon, 1 fried egg, 2 GF sausages, mushrooms and 1 slice of GF toast. Pot coffee and cream. Meant to mention yesterday was the first time I have seen guests arriving for breakfast in their pyjamas. Some had slippers on some barefoot. There were some this morning too. Anyone ever gone down to a hotel breakfast in their PJ's?
L. Taking into account my dodgy hip and leg we took the Arriva bus to Warrington as I decided it wasn't far. It's not - in a car - but on a bus that goes here, there and everywhere on A roads its 1.5 hours. Still I saw some places I've never seen before. We were able to wander not too far from the Bus Exchange in Warrington and plenty places to sit and rest inbetween. Stopped at a lovely Italian cafe where I had an Americano with cream, bottle of water and bits of chicken and salad from Hubby's very full chicken sandwich.
D. Out with friends in Chester again (same friends we were out with in Liverpool earlier in the week). Went to a place at the side of the canal - Telfords Warehouse. It was packed. Live music on a Friday, people sitting outside, inside and dining was upstairs. Yet more wine. A starter of a warm goat's cheese, beetroot and pine nut salad. To follow rib eye with a mushroom sauce, field mushroom, cherry tomato, grilled halloumi and a mixed salad. Irish coffee. Beautiful day yesterday.
Hubby now under the weather but self inflicted so no sympathy.
Hug is for your poor husband and also for your hip and leg.

Reactions: maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 fascinated by the wedding guest in the pineapple suit and the breakfasters barefoot in their pjs. Last night in a renowned and traditional restaurant there was a girl in my eyeline wearing a strip of material which barely covered her n***les and lady bits and nothing else. TG she was wearing underwear Sometimes I feel I am another species!
Yesterdays food:
Breakfast: small slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x1
No lunch as travelling but bottles of water, 2 small oatcakes.
Dinner: (out)a soft as butter sirloin steak a few leaves and a tomato. 2 glasses excellent Spanish red. Lots of water.
The tummy issues have finally resolved and the bloating gone. The nourishment of a good steak did me good I think. Out to dinner in a fish restaurant tonight wonder what the dress etiquette will be there!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum I've just realised that when I spoke of the surgeon finding malignant polyps in my bowel, you may have thought I meant that colicky bowel problems may be caused by cancerous conditions in the bowel. I didn't mean that. The discovery of the polyps was coincidental and definitely NOT the cause of the pain I had. It was put down to Metformin but I now realise that it had something to do with eating carbohydrate. Of course, if you are concerned, do get checked but your problems will probably not be anything to do with cancer.
Thanks for the clarification Ann I am not jumping to any conclusions about my episode of intense pain but equally I feel I should pursue it with the doc when I get back home. It was a bizarre and unexplicible two hours. This is the new me who is more interested in my health than any doctor could ever be!

Reactions: gennepher and DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday, I had a busy day on dairy.

Firstly, I made another batch of clotted cream - this time from a 300ml of extra thick double that was still well in date, but really wanted using. This is the result

IMG_3145.jpg

As before, I also have some remaining cream that was drained off.

I'm not going through the straining process to make my Greek yog really thick, then I'm guessing I'll have to add whey back, but it's easiest to handle when very well drained. It also means the very thick youghurt can be stored in smaller jars, then manipulated later to the consistency I want. For example, I'll do a slightly thinner batch for a marinade I'll be doing later, butwill have thicker for brekkers.

The kitchen looks like a production line at the moment.

Reactions: Viv19 and maglil55

Magfit

Eek- here goes my first post!
Breakfast was lardons fried in olive oil and my first no- carb home made baguette. I got the recipe from my new cook book: Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi’s The Diabetes Weightloss Cookbook. The bread is made with almond flour, psyllium husk powder and egg whites. I put 6tbsp of sunflower seeds. I have only done a few recipes but I love this book! I am on 49 on diabetes marker and a good few stone overweight. Have lost weight recently - about half a stone which has cheered me up so much. I also feel calm and happy- I’m thinking this low carb diet is working for me. Hi everyone!!!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was lardons fried in olive oil and my first no- carb home made baguette. I got the recipe from my new cook book: Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi’s The Diabetes Weightloss Cookbook. The bread is made with almond flour, psyllium husk powder and egg whites. I put 6tbsp of sunflower seeds. I have only done a few recipes but I love this book! I am on 49 on diabetes marker and a good few stone overweight. Have lost weight recently - about half a stone which has cheered me up so much. I also feel calm and happy- I’m thinking this low carb diet is working for me. Hi everyone!!!
Welcome and your progress and optimism are very positive. Look forward to reading more of your meals and cheerful posts.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the thread Magfit. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Were you pleased with the bread recipe, was the texture like bread? Am always interested on lc bread in case Sainsburys stop stocking my beloved HiLo bread (5g/slice).

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Welcome to the thread @Magfit glad low carb seems to be working for you.

@DCUKMod if the cream is an IP creation I might be getting more interested.

@DJC3 pleased you found the recipe.

OMAD today. Long, slow walk along the Thames which involved some unexpected free drinks. Wandered into the Doubletree in Bermondsey in search of a loo/drink and spotting an open door to a terrace with people drinking, wandered in only to find it was the executive lounge with a fridge full of free drinks :D would have been rude not to :D

Just polished off slow cooked beef short rib. Yum.

In other news, am eagerly awaiting the arrival of this (why do all of them have pictures of chips?!)

2E21EEE8-85B7-40DD-BA98-BD989C5D51F3.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Welcome to the thread @Magfit glad low carb seems to be working for you.

@DCUKMod if the cream is an IP creation I might be getting more interested.

@DJC3 pleased you found the recipe.

OMAD today. Long, slow walk along the Thames which involved some unexpected free drinks. Wandered into the Doubletree in Bermondsey in search of a loo/drink and spotting an open door to a terrace with people drinking, wandered in only to find it was the executive lounge with a fridge full of free drinks :D would have been rude not to :D

Just polished off slow cooked beef short rib. Yum.

In other news, am eagerly awaiting the arrival of this (why do all of them have pictures of chips?!)

View attachment 34646

This is so exciting! Unlike the IP I do put the air fryer away in between use but I think if I was just cooking for 1 or 2 most of the time it would definitely earn it’s counter top place. What will your first meal be? Chicken wings? Halloumi chips a la @Brunneria ? Lamb chops?
Ps thanks for the choc nut bar recipe. Most of them are in the fridge ( some have mysteriously disappeared)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just about ideal conditions for me to eat as I would LC or not at the moment. No need to cook or go outside my comfort zone although I tried a worthy food today. B = lots of tea. Mid morning 30 gms brazil nuts, worthy, but no idea where they fit. Not unpleasant but not enough for a snack and can't workout where I would "hide" them. NE2 flaxseed crackers spread with Lidl whipped cream cheese and piece of comte. Had 4 cherries during afternoon. Evening meal was tin of mackerel fillets and avocado salad. These are the easy days so all good for now and best not to think about next 2 seasons. Take care.

Last edited: