Examples

Wojo38

Hi
Can anyone attached me a link to some meals ideas for Dt2?please:)
My hubby uesterday evenning hit the new record 320:(( we had salad,some little puff pastry things with it,then he eat gaze box wit some dried bens,nuts,tiny precels,and 6 non alcoholic hainekens 300ml each.
I check levele about 2 hour later and 320 was there.And he said he is very hungry he need to.eat smth!! I though I will kill him,I made him bacon with scramble 4 eggs that was at 10 pm.I was to scare to check level after that.at 6 am level was 220...hi has holiday so he eat and drink much more now:( He feel ok yesterday,I am worry that he can get some reaction,fit or smth?...i read about ketones.
We will try different beer like coors light on a weekend.he gest angry now becouse it is painfull to take blood samples and he dont see much improvments,it is always high so he is "whatever it is high annyway..";(

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
and 6 non alcoholic hainekens 300ml each.
The non-alcoholic beer does have carbs in it - 4.8g per 100ml according to Heinekens web site (so 14.4 per 300ml bottle) , so the drinks by themselves would have been about 86 carbs - that amount is quite a lot and may well have been one of the reasons why his reading was so high (and that's not even taking into account any of the food). Coors light does seem to be a lot lower at 1.7g per 100ml (note the per 100ml)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
My hubby uesterday evenning hit the new record 320:(( we had salad,some little puff pastry things with it,then he eat gaze box wit some dried bens,nuts,tiny precels,and 6 non alcoholic hainekens 300ml each.
I check levele about 2 hour later and 320 was there.And he said he is very hungry he need to.eat smth!! I though I will kill him,I made him bacon with scramble 4 eggs that was at 10 pm.I was to scare to check level after that.at 6 am level was 220...hi has holiday so he eat and drink much more now:( He feel ok yesterday,I am worry that he can get some reaction,fit or smth?...i read about ketones.
We will try different beer like coors light on a weekend.he gest angry now becouse it is painfull to take blood samples and he dont see much improvments,it is always high so he is "whatever it is high annyway..";(
Hello, the internet is your best friend.
There are a vast amount of low carb recipes, it's simply googling "low carb food ideas". If your husband is hungry then you're not giving him enough protein or fat to eat. You have to be gentle with nuts - some do have carbs in them, same with beans and lentils. Again please read the labels on food packaging - "of which carbohydrates" on labels.
Ketones only happens in type 1 diabetes - where they are insulin deficient, dehydrated and peeing a lot. Ketosis is different, it's to do with a keto diet. He doesn't see much improvement because your family and you are still adjusting and learning. I was high too when I was a few weeks into my diagnosis, through time you learn to manage it better.
Again beers are high in carbs, so he'll have to drink occassionally. Theres a few options of low carb beer - https://www.delish.com/food/g26987069/low-carb-beer/

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol

If it is painful to test his fingers, it's either you're not aiming the side of his fingers - ignore his thumb and index fingers or the depth of the lancet is too deep or you're are pushing or pressuring his finger to force blood out, make sure his fingers are warm, or wash them in warm water.

Reactions: DJC3

Wojo38

Hello, the internet is your best friend.
There are a vast amount of low carb recipes, it's simply googling "low carb food ideas". If your husband is hungry then you're not giving him enough protein or fat to eat. You have to be gentle with nuts - some do have carbs in them, same with beans and lentils. Again please read the labels on food packaging - "of which carbohydrates" on labels.
Ketones only happens in type 1 diabetes - where they are insulin deficient, dehydrated and peeing a lot. Ketosis is different, it's to do with a keto diet. He doesn't see much improvement because your family and you are still adjusting and learning. I was high too when I was a few weeks into my diagnosis, through time you learn to manage it better.
Again beers are high in carbs, so he'll have to drink occassionally. Theres a few options of low carb beer - https://www.delish.com/food/g26987069/low-carb-beer/

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol

If it is painful to test his fingers, it's either you're not aiming the side of his fingers - ignore his thumb and index fingers or the depth of the lancet is too deep or you're are pushing or pressuring his finger to force blood out, make sure his fingers are warm, or wash them in warm water.
So can you tell me how to test blood so it is not painful please?

Reactions: woollygal

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So can you tell me how to test blood so it is not painful please?
How to test your blood sugar

Blood sugar testing requires the use of a small electronic device called a glucometer. The meter reads the amount of sugar in a small sample of blood, usually from your fingertip, that you place on a disposable test strip. Your doctor or diabetes educator can recommend an appropriate device for you.

Your doctor or diabetes educator can also help you learn how to use a meter.

Follow the instructions that come with your glucose meter. In general, here's how the process works:

1. Wash and dry your hands well.
  2. Insert a test strip into your meter.
  3. Prick the side of your fingertip with the needle (lancet) provided with your test kit.
  4. Gently squeeze or massage your finger until a drop of blood forms.
  5. Touch and hold the edge of the test strip to the drop of blood.
  6. The meter will display your blood glucose level on a screen after a few seconds.
If your meter can test blood taken from an alternate site, such as the forearm or palm, it's important to understand that these readings may not be as accurate as readings from the fingertips, especially after a meal or during exercise when glucose levels change more frequently.

I linked a video :)

Reactions: Wojo38

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Pastry and pretzels are high carb foods - and they cause a rise in blood glucose to quite high levels, then as levels fall it brings feelings of hunger.
My low carb meals are based around meat, or fish, or sea food, sometimes eggs and cheese - they are all very low carb - I do not buy anything covered in batter or breadcrumbs or with a sauce as they are usually high in starch.
Lots of salad stuff, or low carb veges are added - sometimes both. and I only need to eat twice a day as it is filling and satisfying.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
You already have been told the carbs are a problem and will spike him, yet still there's beer and pretzels, beans, and puff pastry. So yeah, that will spike him horribly, and he has a carb addition, meaning he will always be hungry for more of it unless he kicks that habit. (No exaggeration, it IS an addiction, hence there always being a need for more). You did good with the eggs with bacon though. He really needs to figure this out, because right now it sounds like it's all on you, and honestly... It's his health, he needs to want to turn it around.

Cut out anything made with flour, meaning any sort of pastry, bread, pasta, cookies, all of that. No beer, that's liquid carbs and they hit his system faster and harder than solid ones, so that's not a treat, that's sheer poison. Alcohol free or not is a moot point. No rice, fruit, no beans/legumes, no cereal, corn.... Just stick with meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheeses, extra dark chocolate, olives, leafy greens and above ground vegetables, berries are the only ok fruit, preferably when taken with something fatty like clotted cream... I know it is a big change, but if he gets his numbers down, maybe that'll motivate him to stick with it. I know I've posted this before but have a read through again:https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ There's a few meal ideas in there as well.

I'm sorry, I don't usually come on this strong, but it's like the bunch of us have been talking to a wall. We told you it was the carbs, he eats carbs anyway, and you get to be in a panic because his numbers are high! Of course they're high, he's carb-loading. And that shouldn't be your responsibility. I took control of my T2 because I didn't want my husband to have a horrible life between work and taking care of me, and then becoming an early widower. I was motivated because of my love for him. I think you husband might need a kick in the bum, see what he's doing to you.

And the finger pricking is less painful if you do it on the side of the finger, there's too many nerves in the pad.

Good luck. But don't forget to take care of yourself too eh. Don't make excuses for him because he's a big man with a hard job. He's not the only one here for whom that goes, and they did it too.
Jo

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
6 non alcoholic hainekens 300ml each

Coors light does seem to be a lot lower at 1.7g per 100ml (note the per 100ml)

Yes, the low alcohol beers tend to be high in carbs. Better to go for the low carb ones instead, which do have alcohol. But 6 beers? Alcoholic or not, surely that is overdoing it.
Though honestly, if he wants to go for alcohol, he might find wine or spirits less carby.

And the bacon and egg is fine for his sugar levels.

Is he overweight? If he is at all then going low carb will help him, irrespective of the blood sugar advantage.

I know you are trying to help him, but he should be taking some responsibility for his own health. Sugar is amazingly addictive, and it's hard to give it up, but it's not like nicotine, the cravings do go away in a couple of weeks.

Good luck, to both of you.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But 6 beers? Alcoholic or not, surely that is overdoing it.
Though admittedly they were only 300ml bottles, so 6 equates to 3.16 UK pints, which probably doesn't sound quite so bad as 6 beers :) but is still a fair amount of liquid (high carb liquid in the stated case).

Wojo38

Thanks for respons,
I am being honest with what he eat and now I feel like I shouldn't...Yes I got the small idea what he should eat,and yes I am the kind of person need to he told few times unfortunatly,I know you all try to help.it is all new and learning curve.some website says eat chees some says dont,I dont only read english websites.some says fat milk some says skiny milk.that is why I am asking becouse you been through it.I wanna find some recipies I can use all the time,some of them have carbs but not much,I thought salad and few tiny sausages rolls will make him full up,becouse he hover to plates of salad.I think it must be the beer,and no he dont drink every day but he has 2 weeks holiday,normaly he only drink on a weekend,and dont tell me you dont know anyone who has a drink of wine or smth.every other day.I dont drink at all.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your husband can eat protein and fat - that is meat, fish, eggs and cream, cheese, butter etc.
He should avoid things made from starch, such as pastry, pasta, and vegetables which are high carb such as potatoes.
Better to have proper sausages than sausage rolls, because they have fewer carbs, though check the packaging as some have additions which are high carb.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for respons,
I am being honest with what he eat and now I feel like I shouldn't...Yes I got the small idea what he should eat,and yes I am the kind of person need to he told few times unfortunatly,I know you all try to help.it is all new and learning curve.some website says eat chees some says dont,I dont only read english websites.some says fat milk some says skiny milk.that is why I am asking becouse you been through it.I wanna find some recipies I can use all the time,some of them have carbs but not much,I thought salad and few tiny sausages rolls will make him full up,becouse he hover to plates of salad.I think it must be the beer,and no he dont drink every day but he has 2 weeks holiday,normaly he only drink on a weekend,and dont tell me you dont know anyone who has a drink of wine or smth.every other day.I dont drink at all.
I think what we are all trying to say is you as a beautiful wife, partner and a mummy to your child that your husband should take matters into his own hands and take responsibility for his own health. Until his blood readings are settled and his hba1c is at a good number, what you're feeding him is only going to aggravate his health even further. Yes we all have diabetes, we all had our hard times where we didn't care and running high numbers, what was the cost? Our hands, feet, eyes and infections, is it worth it? absolutely not. I appreciate you are doing everything you can, but theres only so much you can do, he has to do his part which is eat better, test more, learn about his condition and exercise. I can promise you things will get better, only if he does his part.
Theres actually a number of people who drink very occasionally or don't drink at all, I have a cider once in a blue moon and I have to take insulin for it. You can read up on people who work out who load up on protein and protein is very good at keeping us fuller for longer. Dinners doesn't have to be complicated, keep it very simple - use your plate and food scales as a guidance, 3/4 of plate of protein mixed with a bit of fat and 1/4 of vegetables or just a plate full of meat of any kind. Also your husband will feel better in the long run. Results don't happen over night, he has to keep trying.

Reactions: Wojo38

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing low carb for 17 years and unlike those people whose diabetic go away because they were overweight and have now lost the weight with me the diabetes is inherited so no chance!! All my family have Type and no one has ever been overweight. My father was skinny as is my sister.
I do not eat , bread, pastry, rice, pasta, potatoes sugar, cereals (except my homemade muesli with oats, seed, and nuts) . I do eat eggs, cheese, meat, fish , nuts, seeds, veg, salad, and fruit (but only within a meal never on its own) He needs to be on full fat food- no low fat products. The fat will feel him up e.g Double cream. Fry his food with coconut or olive oil. If he has to have bread Waitrose have LivLife bread which low carb high protein. A spoon of peanut/almond butter will fill him up on celery sticks. Instead of beer tell him to get a taste for a glass or two red wine as that will actually lower his blood sugar .
A quick meal is a load of spinach in a microwavable quiche dish, mixed with sliced mushrooms, onions, tomatoes if you want. Pop 2 eggs (prick the yolks) on the top, sprinkle with grated cheese and put into the microwave for 3 mins. Another is to stir fry loads of spinach, grated courgette etc. pour on 2 whisked eggs mixed with grated cheese , season well to taste and you have a filling omelette. Crustless quiches can be made. Roast dinner without potatoes . Sweet potato/ mashed cauliflower instead is acceptable. Just vary his usual meals that he likes without the carbs and substitute allowed veg. (no parsnips, swede , carrots as they are high carb when cooked)
As someone have said -loads of recipes online. Check out Keto recipes.
All the best.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for respons,
Always be honest: we can't help you weed out where things are going awry if you keep things to yourself. And I am sorry. I had a horrid day yesterday, but that's no excuse to put you through the wringer. Just really found it hard, seeing you go through all this anxiety and fear, when he should be the one on the forum sorting himself out. At the same time, I had my husband's support from the get-go, so I know how invaluable an involved/interested spouse is to a T2. So do carry on, and I hope you accept my apology: I was out of line.

Rule of thumb: Fats are good. They are a glucose flatline, and better yet, they can slow down the effects of any carbs that are eaten, so they reduce the spike. So when given a choice, always go for full fat options. That means milk, greek yoghurt, clotted cream, cheese etc. Whenever something is fat free or skimmed, there are always more carbs in there. Usually to compensate for loss of flavour, as fats are very rich in flavour and they still need things to taste good when the fats are left out. (Usually by putting in sugar, as it is a taste enhancer). So you don't have to remember all the separate food items, just keep in mind the fat thing when shopping, and you're all good.

Breakfast and lunch could be any and all of these things: Eggs, bacon, mushrooms, cheese, high meat content sausages, full fat greek yoghurt with a couple of berries, maybe with coconut shavings or about 30 grams of assorted nuts. If he misses bread, try keto mug cake, it takes about 2 minutes to throw together. ("The secret: Mix the dry ingredients and add the wet later. 15 g of melted butter, 22 g of almond flour, ½ a teaspoonful of baking powder. Mix in a mug. Then add an egg and mix. Microwave at highest W for 90 seconds. Done" @briped 's recipe as she wrote it out for me). Just make slices from it and toast them, it's marvelous with some proper butter on and more filling than you might think. Of course there are leafy green salads, which you can bulk up with a can of tuna, mayo, capers and olives, or warmed goat's cheese, walnuts and some apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Just leafy greens will make him hungry again after 10 minutes, so do toss something fatty & filling in there. In the evening veggies and a lot of meat/fish/poultry'll do fine, and if you need to replace spuds with something, try cauliflower rice or celeriac, that could go over well.

After a while he won't be hungry anymore because the carb cravings'll go away as he reduces them. And if you read something online and doubt whether it's true or not, use the meter. It'll tell you whether someone was giving you a load of nonsense or whether something truly does work. Oh, and another thing: If he's not on insulin, or something like gliclazide, which lowers bloodsugars by making the pancreas produce more insulin, he can safely drink alcohol. The thing is, the liver can't do multiple things at once, so if it's filtering alcohol, it can't dump glucose, which is why some medicated diabetics go hypo after a night of heavy drinking. But if he's not on anything like that, there's plenty he can drink without issue: (dry) red and white wine, champagne, sparkling wine, whiskey, brandy, tequila, martini's, vodka... Just not beer, mixers or sugary liquors, as the carb content flies up with those.

There's a lot to learn, and you can't know it all overnight. But trust that glucose meter. It'll never steer you wrong.

Wojo38

Always be honest: we can't help you weed out where things are going awry if you keep things to yourself. And I am sorry. I had a horrid day yesterday, but that's no excuse to put you through the wringer. Just really found it hard, seeing you go through all this anxiety and fear, when he should be the one on the forum sorting himself out. At the same time, I had my husband's support from the get-go, so I know how invaluable an involved/interested spouse is to a T2. So do carry on, and I hope you accept my apology: I was out of line.

Rule of thumb: Fats are good. They are a glucose flatline, and better yet, they can slow down the effects of any carbs that are eaten, so they reduce the spike. So when given a choice, always go for full fat options. That means milk, greek yoghurt, clotted cream, cheese etc. Whenever something is fat free or skimmed, there are always more carbs in there. Usually to compensate for loss of flavour, as fats are very rich in flavour and they still need things to taste good when the fats are left out. (Usually by putting in sugar, as it is a taste enhancer). So you don't have to remember all the separate food items, just keep in mind the fat thing when shopping, and you're all good.

Breakfast and lunch could be any and all of these things: Eggs, bacon, mushrooms, cheese, high meat content sausages, full fat greek yoghurt with a couple of berries, maybe with coconut shavings or about 30 grams of assorted nuts. If he misses bread, try keto mug cake, it takes about 2 minutes to throw together. ("The secret: Mix the dry ingredients and add the wet later. 15 g of melted butter, 22 g of almond flour, ½ a teaspoonful of baking powder. Mix in a mug. Then add an egg and mix. Microwave at highest W for 90 seconds. Done" @briped 's recipe as she wrote it out for me). Just make slices from it and toast them, it's marvelous with some proper butter on and more filling than you might think. Of course there are leafy green salads, which you can bulk up with a can of tuna, mayo, capers and olives, or warmed goat's cheese, walnuts and some apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Just leafy greens will make him hungry again after 10 minutes, so do toss something fatty & filling in there. In the evening veggies and a lot of meat/fish/poultry'll do fine, and if you need to replace spuds with something, try cauliflower rice or celeriac, that could go over well.

After a while he won't be hungry anymore because the carb cravings'll go away as he reduces them. And if you read something online and doubt whether it's true or not, use the meter. It'll tell you whether someone was giving you a load of nonsense or whether something truly does work. Oh, and another thing: If he's not on insulin, or something like gliclazide, which lowers bloodsugars by making the pancreas produce more insulin, he can safely drink alcohol. The thing is, the liver can't do multiple things at once, so if it's filtering alcohol, it can't dump glucose, which is why some medicated diabetics go hypo after a night of heavy drinking. But if he's not on anything like that, there's plenty he can drink without issue: (dry) red and white wine, champagne, sparkling wine, whiskey, brandy, tequila, martini's, vodka... Just not beer, mixers or sugary liquors, as the carb content flies up with those.

There's a lot to learn, and you can't know it all overnight. But trust that glucose meter. It'll never steer you wrong.
Thank you for your lovelly massage:)helps a lot :))

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@briped 's recipe as she wrote it out for me)
Oh no, please don't credit me for the recipe. I got it from someone in here ages ago, but unfortunately I can't remember who. All I did was help you make it fluffy :)

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It's wonderful you are willing to cook for him and are trying so hard to help.
Just a thought though, unless he's willing to help himself, you are easier and handy to get mad at and "blame" that he's not getting better versus himself and some changes he's not happy with making. I'm not saying to change what you are doing because at least you are trying, but he does need to want to help himself.