What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Out this morning to an American diner for breakfast/ brunch. 2 rashers, 1 sausage, 1slice black pud, 1/2 tomato mushrooms and 2 poached eggs. Didn’t get a chance to test at 2 hrs but after 3 hrs bg was 8.0!! Heaven knows what it was earlier.
A sane person would have decided that a water only fast would be the best option for the rest of the day but I decided to eat half my emergency HC Easter egg I’d hidden in the back of my wardrobe!!! Didn’t test later.
The family have decided on fish and chips this evening and although I’m not hungry I’ve asked them to get me a steamed fish as I know the smell will make me ravenous when they get in.
Wonder what was in sausage and black pudding? Must admit I swerve sausage and black pudding when out at cafes etc as they often choose to cook and serve the cheap filler versions! Gluten free breakfasts can be a good way of avoiding the fillers but not Always! Good luck with the fish sounds like you are taking the sensible route.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch was essentially missed due to my car breaking down at the swimming pool :arghh:: Luckily they sell Carb Killas so had a Mint Carb Killa and sugar free squash which I had in my water bottle while I waited for the RAC. (Battery had died completely so I’m now the proud owner of a shiny new one!)
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner was takeaway: crispy duck with veggies, two small pancakes, a smidge of sauce followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch was essentially missed due to my car breaking down at the swimming pool :arghh:: Luckily they sell Carb Killas so had a Mint Carb Killa and sugar free squash which I had in my water bottle while I waited for the RAC. (Battery had died completely so I’m now the proud owner of a shiny new one!)
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner was takeaway: crispy duck with veggies, two small pancakes, a smidge of sauce followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Hug for car battery but pleased now sorted x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonder what was in sausage and black pudding? Must admit I swerve sausage and black pudding when out at cafes etc as they often choose to cook and serve the cheap filler versions! Gluten free breakfasts can be a good way of avoiding the fillers but not Always! Good luck with the fish sounds like you are taking the sensible route.

I should have swerved them - I usually do. Everyone else had pancakes so I felt quite virtuous in comparison but that’s not really the point. They used to serve steak and eggs for breakfast at this place but stopped due to lack of demand ( only me ordering probably!)
Gluten free is a good tip.

Reactions: maglil55

mouseee

Evening all!

Breakfast... none

Lunch .... apple and peanut butter

Dinner... chicken stir fry.

As predicted making the dress completely occupied my mind and time so I forgot to eat. Dress all done and i have to say it looks great! Very proud of it. Although I had one biscuit today which didn't cause too much of a problem for me. Increased bs less than the evil crisps!

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Liquid lunch at the bowls club, seafood platter, several pots of XXXX Gold to wash it down with.
Dinner: Baked pork loin chops and veggies, brown onion gravy.
Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no sugar, beer, water.

Fathers day here in Australia today, as well as the first day of spring, both grandsons cooked breakfast for my partner and me which saved me a job.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was going to make it a 500 calories day today but my GDaughter came at 0930 so that her Mum could go to work and she was ready for breakfast, wanting bacon, ham and a fried egg. I made a mess of 2 eggs, so I had them myself and finally managed a half decent fried egg (tried to fry the first 2 eggs in the same pan as the bacon, which was a mistake.

Nothing after that until Mum and Dad invited us both out for a meal at 1700. I asked for a burger, minus brioche, with some salad and some fried onions. It turned up with chips and fried onion rings in a thin batter, cole slaw with a sweetish mayonnaise and the salad (if you could call about half a dozen strips of lettuce and some bits of tomato swilling around in a very sweet dressing, a salad). I ate the burger and the slaw and shook most of the dressing off the "Salad", tasted the onion rings, vastly underdone, and one chip - would have made better myself if I wanted to have chips. That and a bottle of sparkling water was all. Calories probably are down near the 500 but I didn't count them so now that I have put GDaughter to bed (she's having a sleep-over), I think I might indulge in something or other. Yoghurt with strawberries maybe, or cold roast beef with some pickles. Nothing to outrageous but it might put my BG up.

Actually, I took my insulin pen with me but hadn't checked how much was left in it - about 2 units, not much use so I took it when I got home again. Right now BG is 6.5. Haven't had enough to drink today, but it's too late to make it up now, if I want to get any sleep at all.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Tipetoo, post: 2125297, member: 308541"

Fathers day here in Australia today, as well as the first day of spring, both grandsons cooked breakfast for my partner and me which saved me a job.[/QUOTE]

What a smashing treat for you @Tipetoo , hope they did the washing up too.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@Annb
Re cole slaw with a sweetish mayonnaise: my son mentioned tonight that a restaurant he previously worked for used half mayonnaise, half condensed milk in their coleslaw. Leaving me wondering if there is any such thing as a "safe" food.
@ianpspurs love the idea of halloumi eggy soldiers too. Are you home now? Am a bit behind here what with visitors and a minor health crisis of my own.
@DJC3 salad from the garden is lettuce, in abundance radish, intermittent,( must put in more seeds tomorrow), tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, originally from the garden, now remnant ripening on a tray in the kitchen and spring onions. Which are almost impossible to find in the shops. Am very pleased with my first ever crop of them as this is first time out of numerous sowings( in UK, ) that failed.
Settled in? Trying to be and making the best of it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They certainly did, their parents have trained them up to be self sufficient in life. They also gave me a bottle of single malt whisky for Fathers Day.

Sounds like a great day all round.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tipetoo happy Fathers Day.
Yesterday my intake was
Breakfast: usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: 2 h/b eggs Little Gem leaves, mayo (am using Heinz and loving the texture)
1 small apple from my tree sliced. Checked bg 2 hours later was 5.6 so good news because I have a bountiful crop. Took two buckets of Bramleys and pears to the sheltered housing on Friday, still lots left.
Supper: Tandoori prawns and cauli bhajee (son missing Indian t/a hasnt found one yet in his new neighbourhood).
2 G&ST.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Out this morning to an American diner for breakfast/ brunch. 2 rashers, 1 sausage, 1slice black pud, 1/2 tomato mushrooms and 2 poached eggs. Didn’t get a chance to test at 2 hrs but after 3 hrs bg was 8.0!! Heaven knows what it was earlier.
A sane person would have decided that a water only fast would be the best option for the rest of the day but I decided to eat half my emergency HC Easter egg I’d hidden in the back of my wardrobe!!! Didn’t test later.
The family have decided on fish and chips this evening and although I’m not hungry I’ve asked them to get me a steamed fish as I know the smell will make me ravenous when they get in.
Just read this and have visions of a sign on that Easter egg - in case of emergency break packaging. In what world do people hide emergency supplies at the back of wardrobes? I am also unaware of any emergency that would make me eat a HC Easter egg but have recently had a very deep course in the meaning of "it takes all sorts" so on you go.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am also unaware of any emergency that would make me eat a HC Easter egg
You might change your mind on Oct 31 o_O You should see my stockpile...coming on nicely...mostly in the garage though since OH recently spent 10 hours tidying to make more space (but not for my plans). Oh just thought the boys wardrobes are empty!
Edit: hope I havent broken any forum rules. Mea culpa

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Egg and chips!
For breakfast!
O joy!

This was inspired by the marmite eggy haloumi soldiers upthread.

We dug the microwave poacher out of the cupboard (it has been languishing there for a couple of years.
Since Mr B is the only person who has ever used it, he took command of it.

Meanwhile, I melted a tablespoon of butter in a bowl, squidged in a splot of marmite, stirred til blended, and then gently coated the halloumi fries (one entire pack of Tescos own, sliced into may 20-25 batons). Then I air fried them til golden and crispy melty.

2 eggs and 10 or so fries. Delicious!
I am suitably fortified for the dog walk, the rest of the day, and (it currently feels like) right into next week.

We are planning lunch out at somewhere I can get steak, but I think it will be a v LATE lunch.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Planned OMAD but ended up TMAD as appetite dictated otherwise.

Lunch - fuelled by halloumi fry (but definitely not marmite) envy was 2 rashers back bacon and a few halloumi fries. Finished off with the remains (no more than 15-20mls) of a pot of extra thick double cream.

Dinner was slow cooked oxtail. Yum.

8CE89608-0A73-4320-99A0-9045A64D2FBA.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tea - a few cups before GDaughter woke up at 0615 and the mayhem started. She's a lovely and loving child but she won't amuse herself and keeps me on the hop. She had strawberries and cream for breakfast. I waited until 1430, when her Dad came to collect her, to have mine - cold meats, thinly sliced salami, chorizo and roast sirloin.

A few strawberries grabbed from the bowl on the way past.

This evening it will be lamb chops (Lewis lamb just in at the butcher's). I have 2 gigot chops but I will probably only have one and a pile of roast green beans.

More tea during the day. Had a long conversation with GDaughter about "good" and "bad" food. She's very aware of diabetes because she is aware of the danger to her elder brother, who is well overweight at 13 and cannot stop eating sugary products even though his mother refuses to buy any sugar or sugary products, he still gets hold of them. He is much more at risk than she is because they do not have the same father and his father was also well overweight and diabetic, as is their mother. His Dad died as a result of the diabetes. Little Em is not averse to scolding her brother when she sees him having anything he shouldn't.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Breakfast one chipolata sausage, rasher of bacon,and egg
Replaced my cream in coffee with full fat organic non homogenised milk tastes fine so probably doing a longer term swap - no bg impact/difference for me just like the cream but breakfast pretty much minimal carb otherwise.
Lunch cheese, celery and walnuts followed by two squares of 100% chocolate
Dinner - autumn must be arriving decided to slow cook beef put on before breakfast. Slow cooked beef with a few green beans and steamed cauliflower ( green beans caused a spike when first tested about 18months ago and have avoided since but wanted to retry) the beans gave a tiny rise but negligible and already back below where should be so will reintroduce. Glass of dry red wine. Pudding SFjelly, a few home grown berries and extra thick cream.
I’m using my current libre sensor to checkout some food choices as rarely have any raise from food these days so a few experiments are happening!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Weathermen tell us it is autumn but I can't let that spoil things too much. Today was an OMLAD - one meal, lasted all day. Water, then decaf tea then decaf coffee with cream and skinny bread toast with president butter. Deliberated, cogitated then had 2 baby bels and some cheddar. 2 rows of Green and Blacks exquisite mint. Liberated some lemon drizzle cake from the freezer so I ate some with cream - I don't really like it but everything must go as they say. More water, watched some rowing then decided I wanted cheese on skinny bread toast with a little low sugar tommy k. Had a break for football and facetime with granddaughter then had salmon, haloumi fries and coleslaw. Can't say I feel nourished by that but I have been told not to exercise so bored something less and subliminally must have wanted to kick over the traces. Think it still fits low carb - about 2 days worth of calories though properly pigged out.

Last edited: