What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A day of annoyingly high bg readings today. No breakfast apart from CWC
Late lunch out bacon, poached eggs, avocado spinach and mushrooms. Black coffee
Dinner watching Strictly start was cold buffet at daughter’s: cured meats, cheeses, olives, smoked salmon pate and a flaxseed roll I took myself. 2 glasses red.
Muddy 5K Race for Life tomorrow morning, I maybe should have done some training, gulp!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A day of annoyingly high bg readings today. No breakfast apart from CWC
Late lunch out bacon, poached eggs, avocado spinach and mushrooms. Black coffee
Dinner watching Strictly start was cold buffet at daughter’s: cured meats, cheeses, olives, smoked salmon pate and a flaxseed roll I took myself. 2 glasses red.
Muddy 5K Race for Life tomorrow morning, I maybe should have done some training, gulp!

Good luck @DJC3

Reactions: DJC3

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- Good luck for the race tomorrow.
@Goonergal -- Thanks so much for your kind words. I am so happy to be back on this thread, this is were the very best people congregate.
@Annb -- Hugs for the scrape and the stress that came with it. Yes, stress can definitely raise blood sugars. Hope they have come down by now.
@maglil55 -- Hope they get your bedroom fixed soon. Must have been scary to have the ceiling come down.
@DJC3 -- We have a lot of immigrants from Turkey in Germany, so Turkish cuisine has become quite common. So, today they sell food like pide, börek, döner, kebab on almost every street corner. The pide worked well with the fat head dough. The only issue was that it didn't rise much, where it was covered with the spinach mixture, so only around the edges -- was still delicious though.

Went out for a couple of glasses of wine on Friday, so didn't get to post that day.

Friday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Steak tartare with two fried eggs and mayonnaise.

Lunch: A small bowl of homemade oxtail-celery-bean soup and half a DD keto roll with butter.

Dinner: Two glasses of red wine. Later at home: 100g of shrimp and 60g of chicken liver pate.

Saturday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A bowl of the oxtail soup, some fathead flatbread with butter, 60g of chicken liver pate.

Early dinner: Homemade low carb Pad Thai with scampi and chicken, one glas of red wine. A couple of small pieces of fudge, some low-carb bitter lemon.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Friday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Steak tartare with two fried eggs and mayonnaise.

Lunch: A small bowl of homemade oxtail-celery-bean soup and half a DD keto roll with butter.

Dinner: Two glasses of red wine. Later at home: 100g of shrimp and 60g of chicken liver pate.

Saturday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A bowl of the oxtail soup, some fathead flatbread with butter, 60g of chicken liver pate.

Early dinner: Homemade low carb Pad Thai with scampi and chicken, one glas of red wine. A couple of small pieces of fudge, some low-carb bitter lemon.

Ziggy your menus always sound so interesting. Having lots of ideas about alternative uses for my (well actually @dunelm ’s) carnivore dough that to date has always ended up as a pizza base.

My office is in a part of London with a very large Turkish population and you can barely walk 50 yards without coming across either a kebab house, pide place, restaurant or very cheap butcher’s shop selling delicious lamb. Makes eating out very delicious.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose it is, just not my ‘normal’ eating :)

But then, you're not normally in Belgium for a few days, building special memories. Don't beat yourself up, which "cheating" suggests, would be my view.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- We have a lot of immigrants from Turkey in Germany, so Turkish cuisine has become quite common. So, today they sell food like pide, börek, döner, kebab on almost every street corner. The pide worked well with the fat head dough. The only issue was that it didn't rise much, where it was covered with the spinach mixture, so only around the edges -- was still delicious though.

I love Turkish cuisine. My brother lived in Istanbul for a few years and I discovered it when I first went to visit him. Borek was one of my favourite things in the world. There are quite a few Turkish restaurants in London but sadly I’ve not come across any in Cornwall. I hadn’t ever really thought of making my own.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But then, you're not normally in Belgium for a few days, building special memories. Don't beat yourself up, which "cheating" suggests, would be my view.
I didn’t beat myself up with how my blood sugars reacted, 4.8 before, 6.1 at the two hour mark and 4.1 at the three hour mark! Very happy with both my numbers and the break away in Belgium, definitely made some special memories :happy:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
today I tried a chaffle but mainly just use one egg and put a tablespoon of mozzarella cheese at the bottom of waffle maker and then added one whipped egg when cooked it folded it to make a sandwich and had some streaky bacon with tomato some avocado and a few lettuce leaves to make it into a sandwich, a black coffee. for dinner I was tired so I made a sort of platter with some salami ham cream cheese avocado, olives and chopped carrot have left overs for tomorrows meal. oh and a zarta cracker
I forgot to add yesterday for dinner I had left over chicken and made tabbelah it does have bulgur in it but I was craving it as I hadn't eaten it for a while with lettuce and some carrots

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck today @DJC3. You gave me a laugh this morning as I read your Turkish dish as "Borat". Created some very strange mankini pictures in my head. @SlimLizzy - you've had more than your fair share of living on a building site as have we. Only ourselves and one other couple were living on this estate at the beginning - the rest was a building site and the mud and muck was something to deal with. Then we made the mistake of staying here during a large extension build so the bedroom rebuild is mild to me. I did have to rewash, dry and iron almost everything in our bedroom because of the dust but it's now safely sealed so nothing else will get in. @ziggy_w - fortunately we were not here when the ceiling came down. Heaviest part would have landed on Hubby's head. We came back from holiday to this and to be honest I've been more concerned with sorting out the insurance and contractors.
I am delighted to say I found more clothes which I've now ironed and put in a drawer under the bed I'm currently in. Still not a lot but enough so long as I keep washing and ironing for the next 2 weeks until my clothes are "freed" from the restriction of the king size mattress.
B. TAG with ADOC. Rest of morning was dedicated to a clothes hunt.
L. Nothing. Got an online shop done, nipped out to get what wasn't available online (and took son along) then back to iron the latest batch of clothes before going along to watch the boys for a few hours.
D. A quick meat'zza before going to watch boys. Later when I got back had the last 4 raspberries with a microwaved DGF brownie from the freezer.

Is Hubby deliberately dicing with death? Found a rocking horse and the hoover in my temporary bedroom last night.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday was strange day of food as we were out to a buffet lunch at a Golden Wedding party. I tried to choose carefully and had cheese, slice salami, 2 inch size quiche and green salad. I sat opposite another T2 who informed me the potato salad was the best and went back again to load up. It wasnt the place to say anything and he is my OH’sfriend and he has been informed how I manage before. He looked a bit down in the dumps while everyone tucked into celebration cake and I felt for him. Denial is a powerful weapon.
We werent planning supper but neither of us ate much at the do and it was very cold when we got back for Strictly so ended up having emergency supermarket curry which didnt do me any favours.
Today’s fare:
Breakfast: usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: 2 eggs, 3 slices bacon.
Supper: Will be roasted aubergine, red onion, tomato, pepper drizzled with EVOO and sprinkled with dried Italian herbs. Plant to keep some over to go in a frittata tomo.

Running down the fridge a bit this week as we are off to Spain next Saturday.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to add to my post above I was worried the buffet might be all sandwiches, sausage rolls, pastry, etc. To be fair there was a good selection and if I hadnt gone to the table when it was busy I might have found other things but I couldnt hold up the hungry queue so it was my fault I didnt eat much.
To be on the safe side I breakfasted yesterday on scrambled eggs with grated cheese in. OMG it as so tasty, I cant think why I never thought of it before since I regularly have cheese omelette!

Reactions: ianpspurs

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Brunch at 1.30 - peppers fried in butter with 6 cherry tomatoes and 2 eggs baked on top.
I'll probably eat again at about 8 pm, after my Sunday telephone rant with my brother. It will be some salami and some chorizo.
No idea how many calories that will be but at least it's precious little in the way of carbs.
Had an awful pain in my side (where my gall bladder used to be) all day, so haven't done much today.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

I love Turkish food too -- unfortunately a lot of it has carbs, but döner and regular kebab are definitely okay, as is ayran. What I miss most is Iskender kebab.

@DJC3 -- How exciting. For how many years did your brother live in Istanbul? Did he enjoy his time there? I spent a couple of weeks in Istanbul in the 90s and then a couple of days in 2014. The city has definitely changed a lot.

@Goonergal -- I'm intrigued, what is carnivore dough?

@maglil55 -- Have you tried the car yet, now that it has been fixed?

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol

Late lunch: A small steak with mushroom cream sauce. Green lentils (6.5g of carbs) with homemade balsamico imitation (reg. vinegar, eryhritol, red wine, lemon), bellpepper, celery, feta and cilantro (very nice, but limited portion size due to the carbs in it), half an avocado. Two small cubes of homemade fudge.

Two glasses of red wine throughout the day.

Edited to add: Was planning on no supper, but got hungry after all. So, have to add 60g of chicken liver pate and about 50g of fathead flatbread with butter.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I dutifully analysed my menu as always, kept it as low carb as possible within my limited range of food likes. There was no LC menu that was ever going to compete with feeding and cuddling 4 month old granddaughter so pointless commenting on it. B = tea and water + cuddle no prizes for guessing best part there. Lunch was last blob of Friday's ribs. cucumber, cherry toms and W.... cheese coleslaw then DGF millionaires shortbread. Evening was chicken and avocado salad. No side effects tomorrow = good day and try again.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch at 1.30 - peppers fried in butter with 6 cherry tomatoes and 2 eggs baked on top.
I'll probably eat again at about 8 pm, after my Sunday telephone rant with my brother. It will be some salami and some chorizo.
No idea how many calories that will be but at least it's precious little in the way of carbs.
Had an awful pain in my side (where my gall bladder used to be) all day, so haven't done much today.
Oh Ann soery about the pain but your food all sounds nice but very frugal to me. Hope the phone call doesn't raise your BG but it important to keep in touch! Hope tomorrow is better, no pain and more food.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dutifully analysed my menu as always, kept it as low carb as possible within my limited range of food likes. There was no LC menu that was ever going to compete with feeding and cuddling 4 month old granddaughter so pointless commenting on it. B = tea and water + cuddle no prizes for guessing best part there. Lunch was last blob of Friday's ribs. cucumber, cherry toms and W.... cheese coleslaw then DGF millionaires shortbread. Evening was chicken and avocado salad. No side effects tomorrow = good day and try again.
That post literally bought a tear to my eye about your tiny grandaughter and you. Foid was good and I could go with that without the mil s/c and the avo. Hey we are all individuals though.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

A slow day today but also a fair amount of cooking/food prep.

Was planning OMAD but during afternoon stroll around Greenwich found myself inside the vegan, keto cafe that @Rachox and I visited a few weeks ago. Decided to try their new triple chocolate cake and chocolate ice cream. The latter was totally tasteless - had initially been disappointed with a tiny portion, but no desire for any more.

The cake was good, slightly too much of a coconut flavour in the base for me, but the frosting, which was about 3 times the size of the base (right up your street @ianpspurs :D) was absolutely delicious. Intense chocolate flavour, not too sweet and could definitely have eaten more of that. And in line with @maglil55 and @shelley262 ’s recent cake experiences, BG went down.

Dinner was slow cooked beef short rib and some carnivore pizza. Yes, a very odd combination, but I’ve started prepping food for a Uni reunion in a couple of weeks time as there won’t be much time between now and then.

@ziggy_w the pizza is made using carnivore dough - basically fathead dough but without any ‘flour’ - ground up pork crackling mixed with a mixture mozzarella, cheddar and cream cheese as the dough baked, then topped and baked again. Ate a couple of small pieces and then froze the rest. Pic attached.

Chicken wings are marinating in lime, chilli oil and butter ready to be airfried and frozen tomorrow as the second reunion dish, with lamb ribs defrosting ready for prep tomorrow as the final dish. Am going to enjoy that reunion!

@annabell1 what is a zarta cracker?

FFE8696D-FDB8-47A9-809C-F42737924D7D.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh Ann soery about the pain but your food all sounds nice but very frugal to me. Hope the phone call doesn't raise your BG but it important to keep in touch! Hope tomorrow is better, no pain and more food.

Yes, I enjoyed my brunch very much. Just had quite a few slices of salami and chorizo - enjoyed that too. I could have eaten more of it, but decided to leave the rest in the packets for tomorrow. Tea will keep me going for the rest of the evening. Reading it back, it does sound frugal, but I'm not too hungry as a result. I think this might be a 500 calorie day, or near enough - I did use quite a lot of butter to fry the peppers.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

A slow day today but also a fair amount of cooking/food prep.

Was planning OMAD but during afternoon stroll around Greenwich found myself inside the vegan, keto cafe that @Rachox and I visited a few weeks ago. Decided to try their new triple chocolate cake and chocolate ice cream. The latter was totally tasteless - had initially been disappointed with a tiny portion, but no desire for any more.

The cake was good, slightly too much of a coconut flavour in the base for me, but the frosting, which was about 3 times the size of the base (right up your street @ianpspurs :D) was absolutely delicious. Intense chocolate flavour, not too sweet and could definitely have eaten more of that. And in line with @maglil55 and @shelley262 ’s recent cake experiences, BG went down.

Dinner was slow cooked beef short rib and some carnivore pizza. Yes, a very odd combination, but I’ve started prepping food for a Uni reunion in a couple of weeks time as there won’t be much time between now and then.

@ziggy_w the pizza is made using carnivore dough - basically fathead dough but without any ‘flour’ - ground up pork crackling mixed with a mixture mozzarella, cheddar and cream cheese as the dough baked, then topped and baked again. Ate a couple of small pieces and then froze the rest. Pic attached.

Chicken wings are marinating in lime, chilli oil and butter ready to be airfried and frozen tomorrow as the second reunion dish, with lamb ribs defrosting ready for prep tomorrow as the final dish. Am going to enjoy that reunion!

@annabell1 what is a zarta cracker?

View attachment 35552
Oh no. I have given up frosting for half way to Lent:angelic: