What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd be wondering what advice they had been given on testing their BG's or if indeed they had been given any advice on it.

Yes. I agree.
I was given no advice at all to test my blood glucose @Debandez and @Bubbsie

I was told blood glucose testing was not necessary. And it was adequate to wait for my next yearly blood test at the surgery. I did say I wanted to test myself, but was told it was not necessary and that it wouldn’t help. I was told to follow the dietician’s advice which was very high carb and resulted me in needing more medicines

What poppycock.

A whole year away??!!??

In the end I bought the stuff myself off Amazon. Tested myself. I was far too high in double figures. Even in 20’s.

It’s taken me some time, but testing frequently gives me an indication how foods affect me, how intermittent fasting affects me, what time of day to eat, and more.

Obviously you on this thread know I have been getting my sugars down to 6’s and 7’s. This would have been absolutely impossible if I hadn’t tested myself.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was given no advice at all to test my blood glucose
It will be interesting to hear what response Debs might get if that question is included...however I'm more interested in how T2's non dependent on hypo causing medication are advised not to test...is it the same old nonsensical 'arguments' so far I have heard 'there is no need' or 'it will be too emotional' possibly 'you won't understand the results' usually anything negative that will deter patients...anyone got anymore excuses (apart from above) they'd care to share?...when we know it's all about the money honey (sorry couldn't resist).

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Muddy Cyclist what a lovely view! Thank you for posting that pic. What is/was the building on the right?

@Krystyna23040 and @jjraak et al., what is a 3-point turn? I am always reading about drivers doing them in UK novels but I can't picture what they're doing. Do y'all really have to back around corners? We have to show we can parallel park, that is the big bugaboo of teenage drivers over here.

@gennepher your sun and sherry afternoon sounds idyllic. You also gave me a good idea ... the local animal rescue ran a name-the-kittens contest awhile ago. If they have another one, may I suggest Sunny and Sherry to them, please? Even if the kittens aren't gingers? ^. .^

And as long as I'm posting ... 6.7 this morning after a very late night-morning last night and starting a new anti-anxiety med.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our roads are much narrower @SaskiaKC
So the idea is to turn car around in between pavement on either side of road.. Essentially have car pointing now in the opposite direction then when you first began manoeuvre.

The 3 points relate to how many times you should move back and forth to accomplish that.. It's no fail to do so in more "turns" s long as the goal is accomplished.
The younger lads in London seen to delight in the fact they can do it. Usually on quite a busy street.. Perhaps not realising how stupid they looking taking 7-10 turns to achieve it.
(Little quarter given for them, so most other drivers take up the once free available space they COULD have used to complete turn around)
Like I said.. going Around the block easier and more considerate of others.

I think your equivalent would be those Hollywood style handbrake turns...;):hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

The reversing around corner.. All skills needed to exit rearward from a parking space or obstruction, the skill in staying inches from the kerb rarely gets used once learned.

And ditto here for the Parralel parking, Saskia
Almost all parking UK. If not in carpark is parallel parking.. So a skill most all achieve with some success.

And not bad numbers for you, given the last but of info.

Have a good un.
Weather here sunny and dry.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist what a lovely view! Thank you for posting that pic. What is/was the building on the right?
It's a folly, we were asked to perform by The National Trust who this year have been looking at their Landscapes through social change and historical interest. Mow Cop is famed for its Social significance in that Primative Methodism held its first camp meeting on the high hill. We are a Quire who sing music in costume from that period the reason we were asked to perform as a pop up Quire which meant a lot of walking about with stops to sing. We did learn some new pieces relevant to Primitive Methodism, it all went extremely well and the breeze was gentle which meant my Tricorn hat remained firmly in place.

http://www.mowcop.info/htm/industry/castle.htm

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

@Krystyna23040 and @jjraak et al., what is a 3-point turn? I am always reading about drivers doing them in UK novels but I can't picture what they're doing. Do y'all really have to back around corners? We have to show we can parallel park, that is the big bugaboo of teenage drivers over here.

@gennepher your sun and sherry afternoon sounds idyllic. You also gave me a good idea ... the local animal rescue ran a name-the-kittens contest awhile ago. If they have another one, may I suggest Sunny and Sherry to them, please? Even if the kittens aren't gingers? ^. .^

And as long as I'm posting ... 6.7 this morning after a very late night-morning last night and starting a new anti-anxiety med.

Sunny and Sherry sounds lovely @SaskiaKC

upload_2019-9-8_14-15-26.gif

Reactions: geefull

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak , thank you. :) The 3-point turn sounds sort of like a U-turn (which can take a lot of maneuvering).

I never before thought of backing out of a parking space as backing around a corner, but you are of course right -- it is. And it became a whole different skill when people starting replacing their nice normal-size cars with huge SUVS, making reversing around them not just a skill but a gamble since the rest of us could no longer see over adjacent car's trunk but had to back blindly into possible oncoming traffic.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It will be interesting to hear what response Debs might get if that question is included...however I'm more interested in how T2's non dependent on hypo causing medication are advised not to test...is it the same old nonsensical 'arguments' so far I have heard 'there is no need' or 'it will be too emotional' possibly 'you won't understand the results' usually anything negative that will deter patients...anyone got anymore excuses (apart from above) they'd care to share?...when we know it's all about the money honey (sorry couldn't resist).
They were all the exact words the diabetic nurse said to me as well...they must be in The Diabetic Nurse's Handbook....

Reactions: DJC3 and jjraak

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a folly, we were asked to perform by The National Trust who this year have been looking at their Landscapes through social change and historical interest. Mow Cop is famed for its Social significance in that Primative Methodism held its first camp meeting on the high hill. We are a Quire who sing music in costume from that period the reason we were asked to perform as a pop up Quire which meant a lot of walking about with stops to sing. We did learn some new pieces relevant to Primitive Methodism, it all went extremely well and the breeze was gentle which meant my Tricorn hat remained firmly in place.

http://www.mowcop.info/htm/industry/castle.htm

I'm glad all went well, especially with your tricorn and the sunshine. :) Your music sounds very interesting. I grew up Methodist and have always enjoyed learning more about John Wesley, the more so because he and Charles were among the first Englishmen in my home state of Georgia. I don't know anything about Primitive Methodism, though, so will start Googling it. Can you tell me the names of some of the pieces you sang so I can see if they're on YouTube? I would like to hear them.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak , thank you. :) The 3-point turn sounds sort of like a U-turn (which can take a lot of maneuvering).

I never before thought of backing out of a parking space as backing around a corner, but you are of course right -- it is. And it became a whole different skill when people starting replacing their nice normal-size cars with huge SUVS, making reversing around them not just a skill but a gamble since the rest of us could no longer see over adjacent car's trunk but had to back blindly into possible oncoming traffic.

Now here a U turn is complete in one, with perhaps a stop if using a carriageway that has an island in it..(a raised step to protect pedestrians or to separate traffic flowing in different directions..)

This English / American is a bit more involved then it should be .lol.

Agree fully with the hassle of reversing with some of the oversized Chelsea tractors we get here... Gawd knows how much harder that must be over there...:woot:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hoi d'you mind... I've done a three point turn on a major road when the traffic ahead is grid locked...it takes about 10 seconds...well that is apart from you 'chaps' who like to 'whirl' their steering wheels with one hand see if anyone is watching to demonstrate their driving prowesso_Oo_Oo_O

And indeed as have I.. When it's needed.
But for most it just saves then driving one block up.. While blocking up a major road.:rolleyes:

(Think popping in to pick up the takeaway dinner, parking within walking distance of the pavement, and once back in car , they get let out, with the expectation they will join forward flow of traffic, then regardless of how busy the traffic flow is insist despite the obvious pitfalls of their skill to perform that many pointed manoeuvre, cursing the driver who let them out for reducing the space available further by trying to park in the vacated space...;))

As for the "Single handed, skilled drivers..."

Couldn't possibly comment...:bag::wideyed:

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now here a U turn is complete in one, with perhaps a stop if using a carriageway that has an island in it..(a raised step to protect pedestrians or to separate traffic flowing in different directions..)

This English / American is a bit more involved then it should be .lol.

Agree fully with the hassle of reversing with some of the oversized Chelsea tractors we get here... Gawd knows how much harder that must be over there...:woot:

"Chelsea tractors" -- I love it! We could use a similar term for them here as they are ridiculous in city streets.

Some wide streets here have islands too and making a U-turn around one is easy -- although usually illegal! I think drivers my age probably don't think about cameras at major intersections nowadays, and go ahead and make the U-turn as needed.

Sometimes when I see one of these in a city street
2020-cadillac-escalade-001-1567021710.jpg

I feel like saying, "I see your
cq5dam.web.1440.1440.jpeg

and I'll raise you a

cbb2b6466e_640.jpg

which is what my friends use for

2017-F-350-Super-Duty-4X4-Crew-Cab-Lariat.jpg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Chelsea tractors" -- I love it! We could use a similar term for them here as they are ridiculous in city streets.

Some wide streets here have islands too and making a U-turn around one is easy -- although usually illegal! I think drivers my age probably don't think about cameras at major intersections nowadays, and go ahead and make the U-turn as needed.

Same here Saskia.
However we are one of the most surveilled populations in the world.
I doubt many places beat London for camera surveillance.

So it's always one eye out for the cams
But they are sneaky how they do it.

Currently taking all the joy out of driving with an ever expanding average speed limit camera network.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 today. Too much protein as I has a large kebab. Weight at 10st 6lb and I dont like going under 10st 7lb.

Dr Zoe on this morning kept on about the weight loss and DIRECT (800 calorie shakes for 12 weeks) . Basically saying that lowering the calorie intake was the solution. It's not the weight loss that has me in remission. It's down to lowering my carbs. I know this because of my bg monitor. Cant think of anything worse than just drinks for 3 months! Torture! I love my food too much.

Researching between painting and thought this was interesting so sharing:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/why-calorie-counting-fails.html

Ps I just received £75 for answering questions on facetime with DUK about remission. I gave it with both barrels and got paid. Happy days

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1 today. Too much protein as I has a large kebab. Weight at 10st 6lb and I dont like going under 10st 7lb.

Dr Zoe on this morning kept on about the weight loss and DIRECT (800 calorie shakes for 12 weeks) . Basically saying that lowering the calorie intake was the solution. It's not the weight loss that has me in remission. It's down to lowering my carbs. I know this because of my bg monitor. Cant think of anything worse than just drinks for 3 months! Torture! I love my food too much.

Researching between painting and thought this was interesting so sharing:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/why-calorie-counting-fails.html

Couldn't agree more, Deb's.:bookworm:

Good link too.