What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't bother with the ratatouille after all - too sore to move much and certainly couldn't stand at the worktop to cut up veggies. Just had some more of the soup at about 7.30. There's still a little left for tomorrow's lunch.

Where can that ham be bought, Goonergal? Would it be available online, do you think? I like the sound of it.

I got it in Sainsbury’s - it’s only the small local stores that sell it. Complete list here: https://seriouspig.london/sainsburys/

I think it probably is available online. Their snacking cheese (also delicious) is available via Amazon. None of it is cheap. The ham is better value as it actually fills you up, whereas the cheese is just a very moreish crisp like snack!

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love that word! Going to pinch the smoked salmon recipe.

It was sooo easy:

2 parts smoked salmon (i used 4 x 240g)
1 part full fat cream cheese (i used 2 x 240g)
Lemon juice and black pepper to taste
Whizzed with the hand (stick) blender til it reached the texture I wanted.

You could use double cream instead of cream cheese, and the result would be sloppier and less tangy.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was sooo easy:

2 parts smoked salmon (i used 4 x 240g)
1 part full fat cream cheese (i used 2 x 240g)
Lemon juice and black pepper to taste
Whizzed with the hand (stick) blender til it reached the texture I wanted.

You could use double cream instead of cream cheese, and the result would be sloppier and less tangy.

Thanks.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Lost track of dates and days it's so late.
Or early
Breakfast was late again. Around 11am two scrambled eggs with cheeae and spinach. Did think that although it was tasty, it was all a bit soft, needed that little bit of crunch usually provided by toast.
Coffee with milk and cream
Lunch toast and pate, have found some bread that is only 28g carbs per 100g
Had two small slices, did not weigh it but was most likely 40 -50g max few tiny tomatoes. Nearly eaten all we grew. One ripe pear and cup of tea
Tea in the afternoon.
Coffee early evening
Dinner, pork chop with mushroom and cream sauce. Two pieces of potato ,some carrots, courgettes and cauliflower,
Cream pudding after 18g carbs, two glasses of fizz,.
Much later
Another cream pudding and half a bar of. chocolate. It's true what they say about wanting to eat when you are tired. Also less will power, not that I have a lot of that.
Disappointing day. Lost weight. More than expected. My leeks have got rust, so pulling them out and freezing the usable parts. Think it is at least partly due to being under the pear tree which drops mouldy pears. Am considering relocating the vegetable patch and cringing at the amount of work involved.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I get the bread today I made a 90sec keto bread in microwave it hit the spot next time I make it I will grill it with scrambled eggs.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Woke up early today my BSL was 5.8mmol/L I had made my own yoghurt on Thursday so had some of my yoghurt with almonds and sweetened with a touch of honey and a black coffee but it made my bsl raise to 7.2mmol/L 2 hours later just that small amount of honey raise my BSL

I went up the road had to buy another present this time for for my great niece 2nd birthday I was happy with my purchase and just wanted to get home. 2 days of shopping I'm over it lol.. when I came home 4 hours later my BSL was 4.6mmol/L I was also a bit pickerish so ate half an avocado some of my homemade dripped yoghurt cheese with parsley mint thyme herbs and EVOO with a few crackers and black coffee. Dinner I had 2 pork sausages some coleslaw made a 90 second microwave keto bread and a spoonful of homemade tabbelah oh tomatoe sauce. That was a lot of food I think but was really hungry. I've been drinking water all day that's my drink of choice but been adding a pinch of salt to a few glasses of water as suggested by DUCKmod and it seems to be helping me.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s morning activities have (so far) included major waterchange on one fishtank, pandering to The Birds by restocking their feeders, and making mackerel pate this time. Again, fish, cream cheese and seasoning, but today I used horseradish (YUM!) instead of chives. Mr B and the dogs have all pronounced it good. 6 blobs into freezer.

Now I just need to get some chicken liver pate done, and I will have achieved a hat trick.

Yesterday’s food:
Smoked salmon pate for breakfast
Airfried chicken kebabs at lunch
LC pepperoni pepperoni pizza for evening meal.
Oh, and a fortifying full sugar (and disappointing) starbucks hot choc when out on walk. Very weak. Am used to my LC hot chocs. Much nicer. With a lot more oomph to them.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Woke up early today my BSL was 5.8mmol/L I had made my own yoghurt on Thursday so had some of my yoghurt with almonds and sweetened with a touch of honey and a black coffee but it made my bsl raise to 7.2mmol/L 2 hours later just that small amount of honey raise my BSL

I went up the road had to buy another present this time for for my great niece 2nd birthday I was happy with my purchase and just wanted to get home. 2 days of shopping I'm over it lol.. when I came home 4 hours later my BSL was 4.6mmol/L I was also a bit pickerish so ate half an avocado some of my homemade dripped yoghurt cheese with parsley mint thyme herbs and EVOO with a few crackers and black coffee. Dinner I had 2 pork sausages some coleslaw made a 90 second microwave keto bread and a spoonful of homemade tabbelah oh tomatoe sauce. That was a lot of food I think but was really hungry. I've been drinking water all day that's my drink of choice but been adding a pinch of salt to a few glasses of water as suggested by DUCKmod and it seems to be helping me.
I had forgotten to add my photos
20190914_145802.jpeg
20190914_145045.jpeg
20190914_103118.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Short answer is what I wanted. Tea and water for breakfast - slept until 6.05 = win. Lunch = avocado, eggs and cheese salad with chia seeds and my consistent lc favourite Evo, cider vinegar and dijon vinaigrette. Had 2 rows of Green and Blacks velvet edition mint chocolate mid afternoon. Evening meal will be cheese on skinny bread toast with reduced sugar tommy k. Tea and lots of water, That's food I can live with and like - but close to the full range. Bit snookered if it doesn't do the control jobby.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So yesterday's dinner didn't sit well for me the fat I think made me feel queasy plus I didn't eat enough so it triggered me to eat foods I wish I didn't eat or drink. I went to bed very late at 1:30am a bad habit I've gotten into I did wake up around 8.30ish am but I wasn't feeling well and it was cold morning so went back to bed I got back up at noon... I checked my BSL It was 6.9mmol/L. I figured from my eating last night.... so made myself a black coffee wasn't hungry nor energy to cook I took my cocktail of drugs except I didn't take my diamcron not sure if that's a good idea. By this afternoon at 4:30pm feeling like I was hungry but don't feel like I could tolerate anything. I tried a half an avocado and found boiled egg I had boiled on Sunday night. And now drinking some homemade chicken stock or broth what they seem to call it these days LOL which I'm feeling ok to tolerate... hopefully this takes my hunger away as I really don't have energy to cook or desire . I still have left over lamb bean stew I'm thinking might freeze it hopefully I can tolerate for another day. Sorry for the low mood post today but I thank you for reading my post if you have gotten this far.
Hope you're feeling much better now. My Mum used to always feed me Chicken Soup if I was unwell/feeling off. She always referred to it as Jewish penicillin (as did many of our Jewish friends).

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

Missed a couple of days posting.

@shelley262, @Goonergal, @DJC3 and @maglil55 -- Thanks so much for your votes of confidence re. jazz committee.
@Rachox -- Hope your mother will be able to leave the hospital soon. Sure it's not much fun having your birthday celebration there.
@PenguinMum -- Happy to hear it was only a day feeling off and that you feel better now. Have a wonderful and relaxing vacation.
@annabell1 -- Great blood sugar levels, your low carbing is definitely showing results. Hope your appetite returns soon.
@Annb -- So sorry about your frustrations. Can entirely empathize. Agree with@bulkbiker, it might be worth checking out the insulin angle.
@maglil55 -- Hope the decorators will give you a beautiful new bedroom and you can move back in soon. Your current sleeping arrangements don't sound as if they would contribute to some rest.

Have phoned my GP's practice to set up an appointment to discuss upcoming blood tests. I hate tests being sprung on me without prior warning -- so I'd rather know beforehand what is planned. Absolutely admit I'm a bit of a control freak.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A small serving of low-carb pad thai with scampi and chicken breast.

Lunch: Low-carb chocolate pudding with whipped cream.

Around 5 p.m.: Half a DD keto roll (fresh from the oven) with salted butter, the other half with steak tartare and homemade mayonnaise. A glass of red wine.

Around 9 p.m.: 100g of shrimp.

Today (so far) ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Egg omelet (3 eggs) with shredded cheddar and emmental cheese. Green lentils, red bellpepper, celery, with vinegar, coriander leaves, and feta cheese (absolutely delicious, never thought that green lentils and vinegar would go together). Low carb chocolate pudding with whipped cream.

Getting ready to go out for glass of wine later today.
Glad to say the decorators are coming in on Monday. I didn't expect to see them until Tuesday as this is a holiday weekend here but no, Monday it is although they might not be finished until Wednesday. Bad news is it was a "day off" for me but now I need to be up and about by 8am so bang goes my lie in.
Thursday- think I'm 3 days behind. Bed 6.9 FBG 7.1

Boys here for dinner and they requested mince.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Out shopping after Aqua but grabbed a 39g bit cheese in M&S Cornish cove with balsamic onions.
D. Had mince too but mine was with cauliflower mash and peas. Later lemon drizzle warmed up with raspberries and cream. Gave into a bit Millionaire shortbread too! That DGF stuff is addictive.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
BG dropped very low last night so I had an oatcake with butter and cheese, and then another 2. Should have sent my BG skywards, but it didn't. I didn't take my overnight insulin as a result and my FBG was still only 8.8. That was the result of only having chicken soup yesterday.

Had the remaining half bowl of chicken soup poured over raw, whisked up egg so that the egg cooked in the bowl. Keeping soup, I find, improves the flavour and it was really good. I could have had more if there had been any.

Just had a few slices of plain old cheddar with some unsweetened apple sauce. The cheddar was a bit sharper than I had expected, but it was OK. Don't think I shall have anything other than tea this evening. I'm not doing anything much in the way of food prep just now - still too sore and stiff. Even had to call off going to the children's class last evening.

And I don't even want to look outside at present, the weather is so bad, and, I'm told it will be getting worse tonight. Right now, our islands are cut off because the ferries and planes can't run. Just as well I don't want to go shopping because the shops will be empty.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fry up of egg, bacon, mushrooms and two orange rapture tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon at Nero’s: coconut cappuccino with a birthday cake phd bar
Dinner: cold garlic and herb chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad, pork scratchings and coleslaw followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: smoked mackerel pate :D
L: cicken soup with diced matterson’s sausage and some cheese grated on top. :)
D: chicken shashlik, paneer ghost and an onion bhaji. This time, I checked the menu description. Onion, chickpea flour and egg. Which explains why I had no gluten repercussions last time.:couchpotato:

I could never get bored of indian spices. The variety is endless. And delicious.

I seem to be drifting into veg-as-a-garnish more often. Guts ok-ish about it. So far.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal - gee that was a walk and a half! I drove many times from Birmingham to Wolverhampton but walk?? Thank goodness it was a canal walk - I had visions of you jogging along past the Five Ways, Aston Expressway, Spaghetti......yikes!
@ianspurs - today I joined you in the TV hunt. Got back from shopping, having s coffee and Pow
Bang went our TV. we have one upstairs in No 1 grandsons room when he stays so that's downstairs for now. Can't really do much until Wednesday after the decorators finish as we need to pull everything out and sort out the wires. We'll be a Samsung and like you we're going big! Hubby wants to stick at 65". Which stores do you haggle with? At least that's my 3rd disaster.
Yesterday - day off for the holiday weekend but was reorganizing freezer and fridge again. Bed 6.1 FBG 6. Been very stable in the low 6's with forays into the 5's in the afternoon.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing busy with the fridge & freezer
D. M&S best ever burger with cheese melt, 1/2 avocado, veggie chips, 4 mini portobello mushrooms, 3 santini tomatoes. 5 blackberries and cream and later munched through more than a few king cherries.

Bought myself a little garment hand steamer. It wont replace my steam generator iron but will be handy for steaming fold creases out and I'll use for now until my ironing board is freed!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal - gee that was a walk and a half! I drove many times from Birmingham to Wolverhampton but walk?? Thank goodness it was a canal walk - I had visions of you jogging along past the Five Ways, Aston Expressway, Spaghetti......yikes!
@ianspurs - today I joined you in the TV hunt. Got back from shopping, having s coffee and Pow
Bang went our TV. we have one upstairs in No 1 grandsons room when he stays so that's downstairs for now. Can't really do much until Wednesday after the decorators finish as we need to pull everything out and sort out the wires. We'll be a Samsung and like you we're going big! Hubby wants to stick at 65". Which stores do you haggle with? At least that's my 3rd disaster.
Yesterday - day off for the holiday weekend but was reorganizing freezer and fridge again. Bed 6.1 FBG 6. Been very stable in the low 6's with forays into the 5's in the afternoon.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing busy with the fridge & freezer
D. M&S best ever burger with cheese melt, 1/2 avocado, veggie chips, 4 mini portobello mushrooms, 3 santini tomatoes. 5 blackberries and cream and later munched through more than a few king cherries.

Bought myself a little garment hand steamer. It wont replace my steam generator iron but will be handy for steaming fold creases out and I'll use for now until my ironing board is freed!
Sorry to hear about your TV @maglil55. We haggled with Currys trying to get everything we paid for the original. Wanted an LG again but to justify price near to what we paid it had to have features of original which weren't available on any other (built in sub woofer) so ended up with the Sony 82". Did get £1k more than their original offer at the second branch and will be functional for the rugby.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear about your TV @maglil55. We haggled with Currys trying to get everything we paid for the original. Wanted an LG again but to justify price near to what we paid it had to have features of original which weren't available on any other so ended up with the Sony 82" did get £1k more than their original offer at the second branch.
I didn't know Currys haggled. Currently, the model we're looking at best price, surprisingly, is Amazon. I'm kind of philosophical about the whole thing - just another bit of chaos to add to the existing chaos. Never mind, work will be finished on Wednesday.

Reactions: ianpspurs