What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t manage three meals but ate three times!
Breakfast chipolata sausage, one slice of bacon and egg
Mid pm one piece of deliciously guilt free millionaires shortbread
Dinner half a chicken marinated with Indian spices and baked served with salad and glass of dry white wine, pudding sf jelly, a few home grown berries with spoon of yoghurt and cream.
Lovely weather again today not looking forward to heavy rain and storms forecast tomorrow I’m booked for and was looking forward to a catch up with close friends tomorrow but it’s an outdoor cafe - would have been great today but not sure about tomorrow!

Saur

Hi Saur,
We are all different and it depends upon low much carb you can tolerate, but Cashews have by far the highest carbs of any popular 'nut'. They have over 5 times as many as Brazil nuts and Pecans, 3 time Walnuts, as over twice as many as Almonds ro Pine nuts.

So they are on my list to avoid except as a very rare treat like chocolate.

Edited for link : Here is a link to the relevant DietDoctor web page: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts
You are right they should be had as a treat.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: No low carb coconut ‘porridge’ today as I was fasting for bloods tests this morning! :wideyed:
Late morning: coffee with cream to take my am tablets with.
Lunch: fry up, egg, bacon, two cherry tomatoes and mushrooms followed by blackberries, raspberries, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: raspberry phd bar and black coffee on the riverside in blazing sunshine!
Dinner out at local Hungry Horse: two chicken skewers with stir fried veg, side salad and coleslaw followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola at home afterwards.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Another liquid lunch at the club, pork fillet, salad, XXXX Gold low carb beer.
Dinner: Marinated lemon and peri peri chook drumsticks.
Breakfast: Usual c&m omelette, bacon, tomatoes, spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, beer, water.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

@shelley262 -- My experience is similar to yours -- since losing much of the weight, I get hungry a lot more and skipping breakfast or dinner tends to raise my blood sugar levels. Kind of eerie how our metabolism changes over time.

Managed to miss another three days posting again. Was out and about a lot lately, so missed some meals and foods, but days tended to be similar, so will only post yesterdays meals.

Breakfast: Some homemade soup with beef, merguez, celery, green beans and white beans. A small slice of egg liqueur cake. One half of one half of a DD keto roll with butter.

Lunch: Nothing.

Out to an evening of jazz (including some time selling tickets), a glass of red wine during the second half of the concert.

Back home late: 40g of chicken liver pate, 50g of Northsea shrimp, 80g of camenbert, another glass of red wine.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No B but LC/creamy hot chocolate around 11.00. Lunch= avocado, cucumber,2 hard boiled eggs and vinaigrette then turkey breast. Evening = lamb shoulder, roast celery, tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli and W...... lamb gravy. Viscosity of gravy spot on but so, so salty. We struggle to achieve the right viscosity (for me) but I really don't like salty food. Hot chocolate > coffee for me - I remember now but 20 mins on the exercise bike for first time since op + few bites of a russet apple from our tree were the best parts of the day.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all a grey wet day today really affects my mood ...
No breakfast today too busy
Lunch cheese omelette, followed by coffee and four squares 100% choc
Dinner steak, halloumi chips, coleslaw and a few tomatoes and mushrooms with two glasses of red wine followed by lc lemon and lime mousse with cream.
All being well only three more days until our hols crossing fingers and Toes!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

An eating day :D
B: a large LC hot choc
L: ham and fried eggs and a v small portion of chips. Oops
D: reggae reggae chicken kebab and oomi noodles followed by sloe gin. The size of the sloe gin glasses are getting gigger, day by day. :D It has occurred to me how inconvenient it would be to take the dregs of the half bottle home on Friday. Besides, I like it V V V much :D:D:D

Also had some 70% choc and a kind bar at different points.

What a decadently enjoyable, and totally unsustainable day...

Edit: please note that gigger = bigger, and the typo has absolutely nothing to do with the growing glass sizes... ;)

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lagging behind yet again. Crazy week followed by a weekend way, but hopefully back into more of a normal routine starting tomorrow.

Friday lunch of bacon, eggs and cheese at the cafe near work and a dinner of chicken liver pate, ribeye steak with garlic butter at Cafe Rouge as part one of University cricket team reunion. Dessert made by me back at friend’s house - Montezuma’s 100% with orange and cocoa nibs melted with clotted cream. Not universally appreciated.

Yesterday at the T20 finals with the team. Started with a large breakfast at friend’s house. For me this was 3 fried eggs and a few rashers bacon.

During the day consumed home made carnivore pizza, chicken wings marinated in lime and butter, lamb ribs marinated in olive oil, garlic and thyme, salted almonds, 85% chocolate and about 25 litres water: our seats were in direct sunlight all day.

Today Hotel Chocolat hot chocolate with cocoa whip and bunless bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise and grilled onions at Five Guys at New Street station for brunch with bacon and eggs and almond butter and cream for dinner at home.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Chicken chasseur and mixed veg, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: white chocolate phd bar and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Random question but important to me with Autumn and winter coming. Raw onions appear to have nearly double the carbs than frozen ones from the values given on a well known (to me) supermarket website. Is this fake news and if not is this down to the variety of unging or would the same be true if I chopped and froze my own? Also, what is the "official" carb value for frozen onions as supermaket M is wildly different to supermarket W and Iceland. TIA 'cos I want passata and ungings back in my world - carb values for both of those vary substantially as well:banghead:

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Saturday went a bit off towards the end. I had only had some cold meats for lunch - those that Em had left because they were in a pack and, as far as she was concerned, some of the proscuitto and all of the salami was contaminated by slices of chorizo which had been resting on them she had pulled it all out and inspected it all before refusing it so there wasn't a great amount left). I took my offerings to the Fund Raiser and for my evening meal was left with only a tiny portion of the spicy chicken I'd made and nothing much else I could have. Result when I checked (because I started shaking) BG was down to 4. I found some of my funny eggy "noodles" left in a box, so I finished them off. Stopped the shakes anyway and had some tea and an oatcake when I got home which pushed BG back up to 7.8 before bed.

Sunday, BG was 8.8 when I got up and stayed a little high all day. Missed lunch and made some minced beef to have with some more eggy noodles. I'd taken a 1lb pack of mince from the freezer on Saturday so I made the mince and a couple of beef burgers. Had about half of the mince, so a quarter lb.

The rest will go back in the freezer and I'll have one (or maybe 2) of the burgers with some salad and maybe some cheese melted on top, later today (Monday), probably about lunch time. I'll also make some butternut squash soup for this evening (one onion, half a squash and some veg stock which I need to use up today - doesn't sound much, but it makes a reasonable soup in my little soup maker).

I haven't been getting any notifications from the forum in the last few days and I was beginning to feel abandoned, but found an old link on my e-mail to get in today. Nothing either from the other fora that I keep in touch with. Anyone else having a problem with this, or is it just me, as usual?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Random question but important to me with Autumn and winter coming. Raw onions appear to have nearly double the carbs than frozen ones from the values given on a well known (to me) supermarket website. Is this fake news and if not is this down to the variety of unging or would the same be true if I chopped and froze my own? Also, what is the "official" carb value for frozen onions as supermaket M is wildly different to supermarket W and Iceland. TIA 'cos I want passata and ungings back in my world - carb values for both of those vary substantially as well:banghead:

I would be very surprised if the nutritional profile varied much at all for frozen veg of any kind. A cursory google search has thrown up this snippet which may be worth further investigation:

From Livestrong.com ‘According to the American Council on Exercise (ACE), the freezing process does not change the mineral, fiber or carbohydrate content of vegetables significantly, but water-soluble vitamins can degrade during blanching.’

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Back to basics today.

Lunch was rotisserie garlic chicken from Waitrose and dinner was ribeye steak from my local butcher with a fried egg. Several cups of tea with cream aside from that.

D983ACCA-CECF-4A38-B8C7-5E52D77BC13A.jpeg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that some frozen foods are frozen with a v thin layer of water over them (such as prawns).
I am sure there are many reasons for this (protective, cuts down on freezer burn...) but it will also mean that 1kg of the food is actually food+water, and therefore lower carb than just the food would be...

B: LC hot choc
L: bacon, egg and a few chips
D: chook wings

And choc, of course.
Oh, and sloe gin.

Sign in eggnbacon cafe today: Let The Drinking Be Gin
Want one.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Back from hols which was mainly panfried fish dinners, lots of salad, red wine, and I erian ham and manchego platters.
Today: slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: cheddar and small sliced apple from my tree.
Supper: 3 egg, 2 tomato chopped and grated cheese omelette.
My Sainsbury has decided to no longer stock HiLo due to poor sales. So I am left with LivLife for my toast but it is not as good to toast IMO. Trials and tribulations.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal and @Brunneria thanks for comments even though I'm not sure they help me at all. McCance and Widdowson led nowhere - pickled onions appear to be same %carbs as W........e frozen ones but clearly not the same product.
Tea and a latte from a supermarket until 3.00 pm then 1 slice ox tongue and 70 gms comte. Evening was lamb stir fry (Edamame and veg) with extra mushrooms, .5 sweet yellow pepper and lemongrass sauce plus 2 rows chocologic - Tesco sell that 80p cheaper than Morrisons so bought 5 bars. Food was OK but absolutely not today's priority - if I had thought a little more clearly I should have avoided the latte.

Last edited: