Type 1'stars R Us

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee best story of the day. Glad you escaped.
So I received a text message saying my medication was awaiting collection at the chemist. Strange me thinks, I haven’t ordered anything. Anyway off I pop, and awaiting me is a 7 litre sharps bin. What?? Why?? For some unknown reason it is now on my repeat prescription and it was ordered for me. The litre option is still in place also. The Drs receptionist could not find out why and here’s the best bit, they only take the small full ones back at the GP. The large ones have to be taken to the hospital. Half an hour away and expensive parking. Now I know it would take 7 months to fill but really. What an utter waste of money. I don’t want it. And I cannot get to the bottom of why it is now residing in my spare room.

Reactions: Marie 2

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all,
Silly o'clock waking again and silly BG 3.6...no symptoms, just needed the loo. So I gobbled pastilles and fruit juice and still only 4.8 an hour later. Fed up and tired
I lowered yesterday evening's basal so at a bit of a loss

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@SueJB Sometimes that has happened to me where I have dropped for no apparent reason, it usually only happens a day and then that night, but sometimes it's been a couple of nights. I have never figured out why!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee best story of the day. Glad you escaped.
So I received a text message saying my medication was awaiting collection at the chemist. Strange me thinks, I haven’t ordered anything. Anyway off I pop, and awaiting me is a 7 litre sharps bin. What?? Why?? For some unknown reason it is now on my repeat prescription and it was ordered for me. The litre option is still in place also. The Drs receptionist could not find out why and here’s the best bit, they only take the small full ones back at the GP. The large ones have to be taken to the hospital. Half an hour away and expensive parking. Now I know it would take 7 months to fill but really. What an utter waste of money. I don’t want it. And I cannot get to the bottom of why it is now residing in my spare room.
@becca59 I can't remember if you use Libre, but when I had my training with the Abbott rep, he was clear that the insertor part of the Libre had to be disposed of in a sharps box as the tiny needle had been inserted into my body and therefore ranked as contaminated. The small sharps boxes don't have large enough apertures to take the insertor, so evers ince then I've had a large sharps box. Initially it was 7 litres, but these days i have a more convenient 4l box. I don't have them on my prescription but I'm fortunate as the diabetes nurse at the surgery gets them for me and I can return them to my surgery. I'd check with yours again, especially the nurse who deals with diabetes (if you have one). Just a thought...

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 the training I had at the hospital, I was told to put it in the bin. Been using it for over 2 years. No nurse at the drs. I have nothing to do with them for diabetes only the hospital. But they showed me the size of box they take back at the GPs and it’s only the litre one.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB I found when changing basal that the effect doesn’t show for 2-3 days. So tonight may see an improvement.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 the training I had at the hospital, I was told to put it in the bin. Been using it for over 2 years. No nurse at the drs. I have nothing to do with them for diabetes only the hospital. But they showed me the size of box they take back at the GPs and it’s only the litre one.
Oh for goodness sake you'd think there'd be some consistency by now, wouldn't you? How is it possible that we still get such totally opposing information? I'd be interested to know what you're told to do with your finished sensors; again, I was told in no uncertain terms that they go in a sharps box too.

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone!

High BG again this morning :(
I also did something silly last night .. .. .. I managed to knock my Libre sensor off!
I've only had it 6 days :facepalm:

I hope everyone has a great day :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
This has been going on since April. As long as you fit the criteria you are eligible. Got mine a few weeks ago.
@becca59 thanks for the basal info. A quick question. What's the difference between a flash glucose monitor and a continuous glucose one? Did you first self fund and got reimbursed?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning!

A flash one has to be scanned to see the reading, a continuous one feeds numbers continuously to a phone or receiver.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh for goodness sake you'd think there'd be some consistency by now, wouldn't you? How is it possible that we still get such totally opposing information? I'd be interested to know what you're told to do with your finished sensors; again, I was told in no uncertain terms that they go in a sharps box too.

Rubbish bin too! Though I do actually put those in my small sharps box. Mainly because they have particles of blood on. The needle on the applicator retracts and you fit the two pieces back together. I know in some areas people put needles into the ordinary waste. Husband has just Googled it all and low and behold, yes certain areas want the applicators in a sharps bin. Confused? You won’t be after this weeks episode of soap!! (One for the much older generation out there)
At GPs this morning seeing an actual Dr, not done that in years! So will try and clarify again. Will report back.

Reactions: hh1

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning!

A flash one has to be scanned to see the reading, a continuous one feeds numbers continuously to a phone or receiver.
Thanks @Mel dCP I'm assuming you've used both, which do you prefer?
Hope the studies are going well

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Just thinking and feel it is worth adding ...
@SueJB if you are considering getting a Libre, I highly recommend reading through the threads on it available on this forum.
There are quite a few people who find it does not meet their expectations in terms of accuracy, stickability and anti-allergicness.
Being aware of this will allow you to get the most out of the sensors.
Not being aware may drive you to distraction.
Thanks @helensaramay I'm just thinking some form of monitor might, just might, help me sleep more easily. Or madam BG might just be having a blip and "normality" may resume tomorrow.
Hope the driving isn't too stressful

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning, the run today was altered as a car caught fire on the A road, so we took the scenic countryside route, weather was pretty appalling this morning, but brightening up now.

Over the past 10 days or so, my BG (with depression and a feeling of low self worth, which at times, rears it's ugly head) has affected me a lot, so I decided on Monday to reduce my carb intake regarding potatoes, rice and pasta, or not having these and my BG has been much better, more stable and with a straighter line on my Libre. I was under 100 carbs anyway, maybe getting older and not doing exercise first thing in the morning ( as I am sitting in vehicle for about 2 hours) could be affecting me ?

Reactions: Antje77 and porl69

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
anti-allergicness

Just brilliantly put! ;)

@SueJB I'd call your DNS and say you've been waking in the night with low BGs for the last few nights - they'll probably say reduce your basal, which you'll say you've done and they'll say give it a few more days - might be worth saying it's impacting on your ability to function the next day though and could you trial the Libre? (to get a better picture of whats going on) - worth a go?

One thing to note though is that the Libre is susceptible to 'compression lows' at night too, where if you sleep on your side and the pressure on your arm/sensor affects it's accuracy - so you'd still need to double check with a BG finger prick test anyway if you were to wake and scan and get a low reading.

Oxford are one of those CCGs that aren't so liberal with the criteria as some.

My BGs were good yesterday although have been slightly raised overnight but now back in target.

Reactions: hh1