Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks @Mel dCP I'm assuming you've used both, which do you prefer?
Hope the studies are going well
Sort of - I had just Libre for a bit and then added the MiaoMiao transmitter which converts it into a CGM. And full CGM gives you alarms etc, so you can forget about diabetes and just get on with stuff. Studies are fantastic, I absolutely love it!

Reactions: Marie 2

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB following on from what @Mel dCP said, bear in mind that without pimping the Libre doesn't give you alarms so it won't wake you if you do go low overnight.

Great to hear you're really loving uni Mel, go get 'em!

Not much to report here; bg a bit high, not sure if it's puppy stress (!) or lack of activity or something else entirely. Am having a day where I can't be bothered enough to worry so I'm just correcting as and when. And I now have to go get some groceries, which doesn't fill me with cheer either.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone!

High BG again this morning :(
I also did something silly last night .. .. .. I managed to knock my Libre sensor off!
I've only had it 6 days :facepalm:

I hope everyone has a great day :)
phone abbott and tell them its fell off and you will get a replacement :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Morning Y'all

Disposing of the Libre waste.....I dismantle the insertion thingymajig and pull the needle out and that goes in the sharps box and the rest in recycling bin. I do the same with the Mio infusion set....

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

Diabetes a bit on the low side - 4.2 and my graph looks shocking. I'm in a bit of a pickle, I've been offered two jobs - A is much closer and B is the one that is an hour away. B offered me the job some time ago while A was waiting for my NI document. so I start today at job B, but A wants me to hand in my passport and NI number document for them to photocopy and the manager saved the position for me there.
I don't know why I agreed to job B, I didn't think to tell them "I'll think about it". The awkward thing is if job A offers me the job, how would I get out of job B? Or do I tell job B the truth today and not be in? would that not look bad? :(
But what if job A wants my documents etc but not offer me the position but to someone else? Then I'm out of two jobs. OR Stay at job B until job A gives me a confirmation?
Yep my head is blowing up from thinking all the scenarios that could happen.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@MeiChanski What a fabulous position to be in - well done you :)

Which job do you really want ? It sounds like job A but you need to firm things up, as to why you accepted job b, well sounds like you have the same problem as me, you can't say no !!! :hilarious:

Words of advice - cross that bridge when you come to it :)

Reactions: MeiChanski

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear that @Robinredbreast - I don't think the changing seasons helps mood much either, try and get outdoors as much as you can, when feeling low I always find a walk or spending time outdoors helps me x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Me too @Juicyj, especially while things are still fairly greened up. Exercise is supposed to encourage the production of serotonin, so it makes sense. Hope your black dog beats a retreat before the day’s out @Robinredbreast.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve had a bit of surgery in the mouth, nothing drastic, all voluntary. However, there are stitches in gums and so soft food, sadly no spices, is the order of the day. So far, soft wholemeal roll and soft cheese, yogurt, mashed potato carrot and swede, bovril to drink. Any good ideas to provide variety? I’m feeling like a proper old fashioned grandma with her bowl of pap. Ugh!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had a bit of surgery in the mouth, nothing drastic, all voluntary. However, there are stitches in gums and so soft food, sadly no spices, is the order of the day. So far, soft wholemeal roll and soft cheese, yogurt, mashed potato carrot and swede, bovril to drink. Any good ideas to provide variety? I’m feeling like a proper old fashioned grandma with her bowl of pap. Ugh!
Soft eggs? - my mum use to mix eggs and steam it and it'll look like silken tofu.
Soups?
Smoothies - veggie or fruit variety?
Slow cooked meats and veggies?
If worst comes to worst - you can get those all in one vitamins and minerals breakfast drinks, it does have carbs in it though.
Grandma eh? Nah, far from it, let me join in and we'll be team granny. :) I hope you get better.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother My dad had dental implants and during his time, he would eat over cooked veggies and meat. When he was working, he would drink the breakfast drinks that you mix with water to keep up his calories. I would say the easiest would be soups, smoothies and overcooked foods, anything you can drink would be much easier. Chai seeds and coconut milk if you want something sweet. :) Or jelly and ice cream?

@helensaramay Thank you, that is reassuring. I think the hiring manager did say something about a probation period. But in the moment of panic, I didn't think much of it.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Soft eggs? - my mum use to mix eggs and steam it and it'll look like silken tofu.
Soups?
Smoothies - veggie or fruit variety?
Slow cooked meats and veggies?
If worst comes to worst - you can get those all in one vitamins and minerals breakfast drinks, it does have carbs in it though.
Grandma eh? Nah, far from it, let me join in and we'll be team granny. :) I hope you get better.
Thank you! But I am a real granny already, just one who’s trying not to keep her teeth in a jar by the bed.
Soups and veggies that’ve been pulverised in the food processor already thought of after I posted, and bananas bought too. May just stick with food processing everything into oblivion. Only had it done yesterday and the big fear is infection

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you! But I am a real granny already, just one who’s trying not to keep her teeth in a jar by the bed.
Soups and veggies that’ve been pulverised in the food processor already thought of after I posted, and bananas bought too. May just stick with food processing everything into oblivion. Only had it done yesterday and the big fear is infection
Did they not prescribe anything to keep your mouth wounds clean? I hope you're dosed up on pain killers and enjoy something off the food processing menu. If you have a huge pot, you can do overcooked stuff in it with sauce or stew, which might help you over the next few days.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done @MeiChanski on two jobs.
@Robinredbreast sorry about the black dog. Definitely agree exercise is a great help. But it is always hard to motivate yourself.
The bin thing rumbles on. Waiting for Gp pharmacist to let me know where it has to be returned when full. As Chemist doesn’t want it, Gp doesn’t want it and Leeds doesn’t have a collection service.
Good result at Gp for back though. It turns out there has been more going on. Water infection for starters, which answers why I have needed 4 times as much insulin to keep levels down this past week and also suspected arthritis in hip. At Gp at 10:35 and by midday I had been to the hospital and had my X-ray, and filled my prescription. How fantastic is the NHS! Feel more positive now I have sought help and less miserable. Never had water infection in my life.

Reactions: MeiChanski

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Did they not prescribe anything to keep your mouth wounds clean? I hope you're dosed up on pain killers and enjoy something off the food processing menu. If you have a huge pot, you can do overcooked stuff in it with sauce or stew, which might help you over the next few days.

I have co-amoxiclav, mouthwash, instructions to rinse out with salt water, and I’ve chewed up a few rosemary leaves with the unaffected side. Painkillers, just paracetamol, and very few needed.
I suppose the fear arises from knowing that bacteria are evolving and are finding ways to avoid destruction - it’s a war between species.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well done @MeiChanski on two jobs.
@Robinredbreast sorry about the black dog. Definitely agree exercise is a great help. But it is always hard to motivate yourself.
The bin thing rumbles on. Waiting for Gp pharmacist to let me know where it has to be returned when full. As Chemist doesn’t want it, Gp doesn’t want it and Leeds doesn’t have a collection service.
Good result at Gp for back though. It turns out there has been more going on. Water infection for starters, which answers why I have needed 4 times as much insulin to keep levels down this past week and also suspected arthritis in hip. At Gp at 10:35 and by midday I had been to the hospital and had my X-ray, and filled my prescription. How fantastic is the NHS! Feel more positive now I have sought help and less miserable. Never had water infection in my life.[/

I hope the antidote works swiftly in your inhabited waters! No wonder your back felt bad. Big cheer for the NHS!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Just brilliantly put! ;)

@SueJB I'd call your DNS and say you've been waking in the night with low BGs for the last few nights - they'll probably say reduce your basal, which you'll say you've done and they'll say give it a few more days - might be worth saying it's impacting on your ability to function the next day though and could you trial the Libre? (to get a better picture of whats going on) - worth a go?

One thing to note though is that the Libre is susceptible to 'compression lows' at night too, where if you sleep on your side and the pressure on your arm/sensor affects it's accuracy - so you'd still need to double check with a BG finger prick test anyway if you were to wake and scan and get a low reading.

Oxford are one of those CCGs that aren't so liberal with the criteria as some.

My BGs were good yesterday although have been slightly raised overnight but now back in target.
Thanks @slip Good idea, I'll get onto the DSN at OCDEM, really helpful info. Glad you're back on target

Reactions: Marie 2

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Sort of - I had just Libre for a bit and then added the MiaoMiao transmitter which converts it into a CGM. And full CGM gives you alarms etc, so you can forget about diabetes and just get on with stuff. Studies are fantastic, I absolutely love it!
Cheers @Mel dCP good info even if I'm not sure I understand it.Thanks for taking time from studying to write, appreciated

Reactions: Marie 2 and porl69