RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I realize your forum here is for T2s, but CGMs help T1s, too. Here in California, there is a bill (and I believe there's a national one, too) to make CGMs available for all diabetics. It only makes sense.

Reactions: ziggy_w

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I realize your forum here is for T2s, but CGMs help T1s, too. Here in California, there is a bill (and I believe there's a national one, too) to make CGMs available for all diabetics. It only makes sense.
The forum is for all types. Particular threads may be focused on different types.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My problem is that I don't think the the NHS can afford to provide testing equipment for T2s.
I wonder how many meters & strips the NHS would have to pay for if newly diagnosed people were just given the offer of testing. I suspect a high proportion of T2s would not bother. I understand that in the past UK T2s were issued with meters and a few strips, but not given much guidance as to how to use them, or the benefits of so doing. I have a T2 friend who when first diagnosed was given a free meter and a regular supply of strips. He tells me he used them so little, he would throw strips away that had gone out of their use by date. Now the NHS no longer gives him these supplies he has seen the error of his ways and bought his own meter and funds his own supplies, and he regrets those wasted strips. Because people here are so motivated I think we forget that probably the majority of the T2 population are not.

Reactions: Debandez and jjraak

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
all very useful info, cheers.
sure DUK does sterling work

And for the official, perhaps i should have said, officially recognised, which was the only site i was referred to to at Diagnosis.
if i hadn't found my own way here, would i ever have been pointed to it by others in the health care community?

Shouldn't THAT stop ?

Isn't that what the entire post is about.
Letting others KNOW there is another way, IF they can choose to learn more about.

Why must so many of our fellow sufferers be left alone in the dark at diagnosis, and have to do their own research to find THIS site
Surely they have the best chance to manage their own condition if they have as much information as possible, when they need it.
Bur first we have to let them know it's there, surely.

Sorry you feel i'm name calling.
i did feel DUK didn't offer the value of support that this forum does for ME.
i'm pretty plain speaking, i doubt politics would be my ideal profession, as you could probably guess

here i found clear information that has helped me.
On DUK i didn't
that is what forms my opinion

yes we should all be the best of friends, but doesn't that mean acknowledging there are other avenues.

The amount of posts i run into where too many comment that they found a solution one here, put into practice
with PROVEN benefits, acknowledged by those a such, who care for them, then only to be berated by those very HCP's who should know better, that they must stop, and follow the approved programme.

That to my mind is where the disconnect is, with reality.
it's a disease, overwhelming more and more of us.
the current solutions don't work, the current DUK site information doesn't work for many.

yes i do champion the information on here.
i can't the information on DUK, but then, that doesn't need it, does it.

it is, whether officially or unofficially the only site that newly diagnosed Type two's are pointed towards.

THAT is the reality, and that is why we need to end this lottery of being savvy, connected or just plain stubborn enough to get as much information as possible to make an INFORMED decision, based on as much of that available knowledge as possible.

Others deserve that chance.

In terms of my response, I'll just C&P slivers of your very long post for comment:

"And for the official, perhaps i should have said, officially recognised, which was the only site i was referred to to at Diagnosis. if i hadn't found my own way here, would i ever have been pointed to it by others in the health care community?"

Personally, I was told to avoid the internet as there were some very odd people out there.

" Letting others KNOW there is another way, IF they can choose to learn more about."
Those who want to know more, will seek out information. Those who don't, won't.

"i did feel DUK didn't offer the value of support that this forum does for ME."
That's fine, and I didn't find DUK the perfect fit for me either, but I did join there, and I am still a member.

There are people who say exactly the same about DCUK. They find this place not to be for them.

Is it better that everyone has to come to one place, whether it meets their needs or not? Or is it more important that people find a place they feel comfortable and their needs are met?

"yes we should all be the best of friends, but doesn't that mean acknowledging there are other avenues."
I don't understand what you're actually saying there.

"it is, whether officially or unofficially the only site that newly diagnosed Type two's are pointed towards."
We do have people here who have been directed here, and of course, were their GP David Unwin, Campbell Murdock, Loanne McCormack or Ian Lake, or their diabetes nurse, Cath Cassell, to mention just a few, they definitely would be directed here, if they wanted online interaction.

"Others deserve that chance."
I agree everyone deserves a fair crack of the whip, in terms of their health and the support they get with it.

Not everyone will ever come online. Not everyone has the internet. Change in the NHS is slow. It takes a long time for change to be accepted, then it takes longer still for the direction of travel to gain traction.

In an ideal world, we'd all wake up tomorrow and find the world a different place, but I doubt we will. There are many, many campaigners out there and even more people doing things is small groups or on their own.

Have you become involved within your own community?

Edited to add, very importantly:

I am very grateful to every single person out there who is selflessly proactive in helping improve "things" for those living with diabetes. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In terms of my response, I'll just C&P slivers of your very long post for comment:

"And for the official, perhaps i should have said, officially recognised, which was the only site i was referred to to at Diagnosis. if i hadn't found my own way here, would i ever have been pointed to it by others in the health care community?"

Personally, I was told to avoid the internet as there were some very odd people out there.

" Letting others KNOW there is another way, IF they can choose to learn more about."
Those who want to know more, will seek out information. Those who don't, won't.

"i did feel DUK didn't offer the value of support that this forum does for ME."
That's fine, and I didn't find DUK the perfect fit for me either, but I did join there, and I am still a member.

There are people who say exactly the same about DCUK. They find this place not to be for them.

Is it better that everyone has to come to one place, whether it meets their needs or not? Or is it more important that people find a place they feel comfortable and their needs are met?

"yes we should all be the best of friends, but doesn't that mean acknowledging there are other avenues."

"it is, whether officially or unofficially the only site that newly diagnosed Type two's are pointed towards."
We do have people here who have been directed here, and of course, were their GP David Unwin, Campbell Murdock, Loanne McCormack or Ian Lake, or their diabetes nurse, Cath Cassell, to mention just a few, they definitely would be directed here, if they wanted online interaction.

"Others deserve that chance."
I agree everyone deserves a fair crack of the whip, in terms of their health and the support they get with it.

Not everyone will ever come online. Not everyone has the internet. Change in the NHS is slow. It takes a long time for change to be accepted, then it takes longer still for the direction of travel to gain traction.

In an ideal world, we'd all wake up tomorrow and find the world a different place, but I doubt we will. There are many, many campaigners out there and even more people doing things is small groups or on their own.

Have you become involved within your own community?

well in that spirit .;)

"Personally, I was told to avoid the internet as there were some very odd people out there."
yet doctors seem happy to direct patients to the DUK site.

"Those who want to know more, will seek out information. Those who don't, won't. "
mmhh..so we don't tell them there is an alternative, because they should find that out for themselves..but lets point them to DUK, tho'

with reference to that it is that MAYBE it should all be more inclusive .
if we tell most of the DUK, why not tell most about the DCUK ?

We do have people here who have been directed here, and of course, were their GP David Unwin, Campbell Murdock, Loanne McCormack or Ian Lake, or their diabetes nurse, Cath Cassell, to mention just a few, they definitely would be directed here, if they wanted online interaction

And yet in terms of numbers, it's a long way off the mark for equal footing, even if not all came or wanted to come.
the point is there should be more transparency..
i never got directed by Dr Unwin here, or any of the others
i doubt i am a lone exemption.

i hear your balance in what you say, and a lot i DO agree with.
but i do not accept that the status quo is where we should stay, the move forward must be to be better transparency
for those who do ask at surgery "What can a do now, Where can i seek help"

Those, as was i,,, are in that moment of dire need, and a little shocked i'd expect...they should be given as much help as possible,
not left to HUNT on line, because if they needed help they'd look for it..

if that means we tell them about OTHER website beyond the DUK one, i say let it be so.
all inclusive, means we tell newly diagnosed, of every avenue that show real merit, of which i say this is One..

Your last point is relevant.
and no i have not, i still have one HBA1C to go before i feel confident in 'confessing' i rejected their advice and went LCHF.
For me, My doctors should be a safe haven of confidentiality and caring, pertinent advice..so not happy to make it a fraught experience because i buck the advice given, as so many on here post it has become for them.....for now.

I do however hold out hope that next year i will be offering something back in the hope my small involvement can change a few mindsets.

I am also conscious we may be in danger of derailing this thread.

let me leave the last word to your reply,
and just say i admire the outlook and effort you make on here and elsewhere.
i have much to be grateful for from this site.
I hope while we can agree to differ, the outcome we both seek, isn't too far away.

best regards.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
In Oz our health system tends to subsidise health items such as prescriptions, test strips etc as well as using this to impose some restrictions on who is eligible for a rebate etc. Maybe that is something to aim for with the NHS rather than the usual? Yet as has been pointed out Dr Unwin has shown how BSL testing can be cost-effective.
It is ironic in a way that the NHS is fast tracking the low carb program for T2Ds to save billions of UKPs in the next 10 years yet does not appear to see the benefit of BSL testing in the same group. Could it be that the idea is that the low carb diet 'push' obviates the need, in NHS mind ( ? a hive?) , of T2Ds to do BSL testing? Daft I know what money talks.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I'm aghast at that. How does it marry with your serial rebuff of suggestions you test your blood glucose, in order to discover what's going on. I'm sorely tempted to consider your approach as a case of "do as I say, no as I do".

Hey ho. Every day's a school day in my world.
I do not think that merits a response.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well in that spirit .;)

"Personally, I was told to avoid the internet as there were some very odd people out there."
yet doctors seem happy to direct patients to the DUK site.

"Those who want to know more, will seek out information. Those who don't, won't. "
mmhh..so we don't tell them there is an alternative, because they should find that out for themselves..but lets point them to DUK, tho'

with reference to that it is that MAYBE it should all be more inclusive .
if we tell most of the DUK, why not tell most about the DCUK ?

We do have people here who have been directed here, and of course, were their GP David Unwin, Campbell Murdock, Loanne McCormack or Ian Lake, or their diabetes nurse, Cath Cassell, to mention just a few, they definitely would be directed here, if they wanted online interaction

And yet in terms of numbers, it's a long way off the mark for equal footing, even if not all came or wanted to come.
the point is there should be more transparency..
i never got directed by Dr Unwin here, or any of the others
i doubt i am a lone exemption.

i hear your balance in what you say, and a lot i DO agree with.
but i do not accept that the status quo is where we should stay, the move forward must be to be better transparency
for those who do ask at surgery "What can a do now, Where can i seek help"

Those, as was i,,, are in that moment of dire need, and a little shocked i'd expect...they should be given as much help as possible,
not left to HUNT on line, because if they needed help they'd look for it..

if that means we tell them about OTHER website beyond the DUK one, i say let it be so.
all inclusive, means we tell newly diagnosed, of every avenue that show real merit, of which i say this is One..

Your last point is relevant.
and no i have not, i still have one HBA1C to go before i feel confident in 'confessing' i rejected their advice and went LCHF.
For me, My doctors should be a safe haven of confidentiality and caring, pertinent advice..so not happy to make it a fraught experience because i buck the advice given, as so many on here post it has become for them.....for now.

I do however hold out hope that next year i will be offering something back in the hope my small involvement can change a few mindsets.

I am also conscious we may be in danger of derailing this thread.

let me leave the last word to your reply,
and just say i admire the outlook and effort you make on here and elsewhere.
i have much to be grateful for from this site.
I hope while we can agree to differ, the outcome we both seek, isn't too far away.

best regards.
I agree with @jjraak here. What is the point in seeking to confine the spreading of the word, to the forum alone? The solution to the reversal of T2 diabetes symptoms should be broadcast loud and clear to all at the point of need, surely.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not think that merits a response.
Have to say I’m curious too. You’ve been resistant about testing for yourself (your prerogative entirely) but advocate it now as highly important. It does seem contradictory

M

Member496333

I do count myself most fortunate to have found MY way here..

I'm still sort of surprised that I only found myself here after I'd already been through the mill and found the solution to reversing my diabetes. I did a whole bunch of research, read several books and a ton of literature, put it all into effect, and THEN found this place. Doh! :wacky:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @jjraak here. What is the point in seeking to confine the spreading of the word, to the forum alone? The solution to the reversal of T2 diabetes symptoms should be broadcast loud and clear to all at the point of need, surely.
That’s not what I took from @DCUKMod post ie to confine the knowledge. more that it’s here if they want it. Maybe a little despondent about people’s lack of motivation to hunt down info the way we all did.

I think we all want it spread far and wide don’t we? So that everyone who could benefit has the option available

Reactions: Debandez

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to say I’m curious too. You’ve been resistant about testing for yourself (your prerogative entirely) but advocate it now as highly important. It does seem contradictory
It isn’t in the sense that it provides valuable evidence for the patient and the health provider. Just because I opted not to use it does not mean I do not advocate it. Two completely differing things which should be obvious.

On that footing I would like to repeat my earlier post which was that in the spirit of this thread I believe it would be a good idea to encourage the NHS to ensure that the DESMOND courses include videos that not only demonstrate how the two forms of testing work but also the responses each would give to key food types. For T2 and Prediabetics of course.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s not what I took from @DCUKMod post ie to confine the knowledge. more that it’s here if they want it. Maybe a little despondent about people’s lack of motivation to hunt down info the way we all did.

I think we all want it spread far and wide don’t we? So that everyone who could benefit has the option available
I think that it needs more than a “it’s here if you want it”.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the point in seeking to confine the spreading of the word, to the forum alone?

Where do you see that being said? I don’t see anyone on this thread advocating that.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that it needs more than a “it’s here if you want it”.
I agree and should clarify I was making comments about how I took @DCUKMod post not trying to put words in her mouth. Apologies if that wasn’t clear

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still sort of surprised that I only found myself here after I'd already been through the mill and found the solution to reversing my diabetes. I did a whole bunch of research, read several books and a ton of literature, put it all into effect, and THEN found this place. Doh! :wacky:
Exactly. Not easy to find. And that’s for you Jim. How about Joe Average?

M

Member496333

Exactly. Not easy to find.

Honestly though, I don't think I ever did much "Googling" as it were. I was always mindful that the internet is full of quackery and misinformation. I would probably have been very skeptical of any website that claimed to be able to help me reverse diabetes, so I did it all old-school with books and literature (25 books so far, and still counting).

With hindsight it would have been much easier if I'd found (actually looked for) this website first :hilarious: