What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all from a slightly warmer North. After only a slight skirmish (bruised ego) with doomy, a 7.9 was petulantly thrown at me, and it sat on the bench seething that I had the temerity to prod it into life! I am trying to revise for my NEBOSH Fire Risk Management exams tomorrow and it's not going well, for the first time in my life nothing is going in, or staying in. So I will prepare myself to have to resit it next year, I might actually retain some of it when I re-read it all. At least I have passed the Risk Assessment part!!

Take care everyone.
When Mrs MC did her open uni exam she took all the main bullet points, diagrams, formulas, wrote them in large letters on paper and blue tacked them all around the house, she reckons they acted in a subliminal manner, it might work for you. Good luck with the exam.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The balaclava was brilliant and I was warm and toasty. So far so good - the local constabulary haven't spotted me. You are right about the walking. There is no way on earth that I would have walked this morning if it wasn't for two Labradors looking at me accusingly.

I have Nordic walking poles - they helped my rehab enormously after a white van came out of a side turning and ran me over as I was cycling along the main road 15 years ago.

When my walking improved I did try walking with Nordic Poles and a Labrador. We were in the Lake District at the time. This didn't go well and once Labradors lead and poles were untangled we had to dash to the nearest chemist to get some plasters for my knees.
Glad the walk and balaclava were good and hug for the accident way back when. I did use the NW poles when we still had 2 dogs - carried them for the short distance to open country then let dogs off and used them. Quite a few people combine the 2 activities around here. Hopefully we will have another dog or 2 when we move and there appear to be plenty of walks in the area. Enjoy your day and new balaclava.

Last edited:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.8 today

it's bright and not raining this morning so off we will go to mum's for lunch, the soup is already in the making. We were expecting the delivery of the fuel logs to mum's this morning but we got a call from mum yesterday afternoon to say they had already arrived :) Good job we cleared a space ahead of time.

We shall be putting up mum's Christmas lights and decorations probably, high level and out of the way of small poodles who's instinct is to try tasting and chewing everything ;)

Hope your day treats you well :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.8 today

it's bright and not raining this morning so off we will go to mum's for lunch, the soup is already in the making. We were expecting the delivery of the fuel logs to mum's this morning but we got a call from mum yesterday afternoon to say they had already arrived :) Good job we cleared a space ahead of time.

We shall be putting up mum's Christmas lights and decorations probably, high level and out of the way of small poodles who's instinct is to try tasting and chewing everything ;)

Hope your day treats you well :)
Another one with what sounds like a dream day - soup excepted. I really miss stacking logs this winter as no point ordering 4 ton loads to leave for buyers and we agreed to leave all fruit trees:arghh:. I do enjoy reading your posts they give me an idea of what my life could be like if only I could make LC work for me any other way than (mainly) 1 salad a day. Please think of me whilst stacking those logs and enjoy on my behalf. Not sure if we can install (for a sensible price) a wood/multi fuel burner in next home and definitely no room for 4 tons of logs (or chickens) outside - I want the garage for a gym but maybe Bob the builder can partition it (for logs obs)

Last edited:

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I decided a slippery bike ride to my Health Centre was easier than defrosting my campervan so cycled there and went a very nice 2 hour ride afterwards to get rid of the frustration.

Thanks @jjraak and @mojo37 @ianpspurs and others for asking about the review. It was a strange affair, results two weeks ago HbA1c was 42, I was called to the health centre for a review, I thought about my HbA1c but apparently not, it was because my cholesterol which had risen from 6.2 to 6.3 and the they wanted me to take Statins, here we go again. So a rise of 0.1 with my good cholesterol rising 1.7 it's just unbelievable but I suspect the pharmasist was just doing his job. So after doing the useless qrisk I am told I have 24% chance of having some heart problem in the next 10 years, I said does it take into account 4 to 8 hours aerobic Mountain Biking a week
I decided a slippery bike ride to my Health Centre was easier than defrosting my campervan so cycled there and went a very nice 2 hour ride afterwards to get rid of the frustration.

Thanks @jjraak and @mojo37 @ianpspurs and others for asking about the review. It was a strange affair, results two weeks ago HbA1c was 42, I was called to the health centre for a review, I thought about my HbA1c but apparently not, it was because my cholesterol which had risen from 6.2 to 6.3 and the they wanted me to take Statins, here we go again. So a rise of 0.1 with my good cholesterol rising 1.7 it's just unbelievable but I suspect the pharmasist was just doing his job. So after doing the useless qrisk I am told I have 24% chance of having some heart problem in the next 10 years, I said does it take into account 4 to 8 hours aerobic Mountain Biking a week and my diet and loss of weight, of course not so I will take my chances thank you very much. The pharmasist did comment on how well I had done to get prediobetic in a short time. I mentioned I had been following the enlightened Doc David Urwin and his healthcentre of course he had never heard of him, I explained the LCHF approach and he said oh yes a study had been done in Newcastle that suggests T2 can be be put into remission but he was sceptical, am I not proof I said but his eyes glazed over and I could see he was not interested.

Just out of interest the resident pharmasist is not the Lloyds Chemist attached to the centre but a Pharmasist working along side of the medical team.

@jjraak good to hear about the positive change in your nephews health. What a relief for you all.

Off for meal with friends at local pub, catch up later.

Edit .. typed quickly so apologise for mistakes worst being Wrong name should be Doc David Unwin

and my diet and loss of weight, of course not so I will take my chances thank you very much. The pharmasist did comment on how well I had done to get prediobetic in a short time. I mentioned I had been following the enlightened Doc David Urwin and his healthcentre of course he had never heard of him, I explained the LCHF approach and he said oh yes a study had been done in Newcastle that suggests T2 can be be put into remission but he was sceptical, am I not proof I said but his eyes glazed over and I could see he was not interested.

Just out of interest the resident pharmasist is not the Lloyds Chemist attached to the centre but a Pharmasist working along side of the medical team.

@jjraak good to hear about the positive change in your nephews health. What a relief for you all.

Off for meal with friends at local pub, catch up later.

Edit .. typed quickly so apologise for mistakes worst being Wrong name should be Doc David Unwin
Ignore the negativity you know how well you have done ( and so do we) :)

Last edited:

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, just had a phone call from my medical practice wanting me to attend for my annual diabetic check, this was due in September but I've been dodging it mainly due to work, and me being too much of a tightwad to have time off, anyway it's now been arranged for after I have broken up for Christmas, so all good there, but then whoever the jobsworth was on the phone said that if I didn't make this appointment they would withhold my prescription. I'm not the sort to throw my toys out of the pram but really.... and anyway if she was looking at my notes she would have realized I have been off any medication for about ten months.
Classic case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing lol

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shameful, I think an email to the centres management politely outlining your experience with the person and asking if it is a policy of the centre to withhold prescriptions.

Since my original diagnosis I have had two further HbA1c tests and reviewed after each. I was told on diagnosis and again today I would be called for my next by text and email. I had to request both HbA1c tests, apparently the practice lets them redline for two months before they start sending text, why? I have asked this of the manager by email with no reply as of yet. Oh, and today the Pharmasist said why did you request a Cholesterol Test this time we would only usually do them every 12 months, he even said someone, I don't know who someone is, will start asking questions if this continues. I assured him I had not requested one just the HbA1c test, I'm not sure he believed me.

Like @jjraak mentioned when the NHS performs it is excellent, I have experienced this on a few occasions but often on the day to day non emergency stuff it can be very poor indeed, probably the fault of an overwhelmed system which throwing money at may help but not fix.

Then you get the sublime to the ridiculous, where the NHS and Social Services are completely out of touch with one another, and health and safety makes things difficult to perform good care, although I can see all sides to this one in the society as it is. Mrs MC's mom is 93 with very bad Alzheimer's but she is still living at home where she feels safe and with Mrs MCs organising she self funds carers who go in three times a day to help dress, wash, feed and medicate. Last week Mrs MC's mom was found on her bedroom floor by the first carer of the day who called Mrs MC to say she could not help her off the floor because she was not allowed to and had called the Paramedics who could not come for more than 2 hours as there were more urgent emergencies but not to worry as MIL was Ok even though still on the floor. Now MIL is less than 8 stone and does have enough strength if helped to get off the floor so why not let the carer try, but due to health and safety the Care Company's policy says there must be two carers to do this, surely they should allow carers to risk assess and take appropriate action? MRs Mc dashes over, well it took her 2 hours so hardly a dash. Paramedics arrive at the same time as Mrs MC, they were professional, caring and stayed and made MIL tea and chatted to her, MIL loved them, this is the brilliant side of the NHS. They told Mrs MC that lots could be done to keep MIL safe in her home and that social services would be of great help in giving advice, providing equipment putting up wall handles and such to allow MIL to stay in her own home where she was comfortable and happy. Later that week a rather stroppy social service lady got in touch with Mrs MC she was rude and angry because Mrs MC could not tell her what was required to help MIL, Mrs MC asked what can social services offer and can they come and asses the situation to provide and advise, the lady continued to be obnoxious saying there is a three part system why have you not followed it, Mrs MC explained she wasn't aware of such a system and what should she do to follow it, social service person got more stroppy eventually saying you will get a form in the post, that's the first part and rang off. Form came, filled in sent back and more phone calls, end result NOTHING they can't do anything to help. Basically if you are like MIL with a Mrs MC fighting your corner and more than a few quid in assets you are on your own, not that that's a problem, why not self fund equipment and carers if you can afford it. But surely some good advise should be given by those who must know what can be done to help old vulnerable people. Mrs MC then called MILs doctors to get a doctor to visit to check out MILs meds as Paramedics explained some of the combination of meds she was on could be causing light heads. Doctors will not do home visits and insist MIL can go to health centre, she is 92, frail and disorientated outside her home. So horns are locked battle rages, will a doctor come, I doubt it unless we start making suggestions that if MIL ends up in hospital we shall be mentioning the docs refusal to home visit to assess MIL and her medication, but how terrible if it amounts to that. Watch this space.

Sorry I have rambled on but this situation and the experience of @trick60 @gennepher many others and myself with Pharmasist must be similar all over the country, it's going to take some mending.

Put winner for Mrs C, not just taking it.
And I know you can't see it but I am shaking my head in disbelief that
A the person could be SO rude
B so blind & uncompassionate re Mil's needs.

Sadly the'threats' do seem to be the way to go.

Can't help feeling each department is like a little "feifdom' that none of them want to give up, and are happy carrying on as if the rest of the world or other departments don't exist.

So sorry you all have to suffer this.

Like you say, a long way to go to fix.. Sadly

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit late but here I am. Large discrepancy again with fbg. 5.0 from CGM and 6.1 from finger prick. I’d like to believe the first but after a late dinner of red meat last night I know it’s the latter one.
@SaskiaKC Dennis is with ZkC on the noisemaker and tries to see it off every time it appears, he is winning, it doesn’t appear as much as perhaps it should!
Just popped into my surgery for results - she wasn’t able to give me a print out ( it seems nobody has every asked before) but will get someone else to do it this week. She was able to tell me my HnA1c is 36 which is very cheering news as it was 40 last time. I feel motivated enough to resist the crumpet chat now (I think)

Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit late but here I am. Large discrepancy again with fbg. 5.0 from CGM and 6.1 from finger prick. I’d like to believe the first but after a late dinner of red meat last night I know it’s the latter one.
@SaskiaKC Dennis is with ZkC on the noisemaker and tries to see it off every time it appears, he is winning, it doesn’t appear as much as perhaps it should!
Just popped into my surgery for results - she wasn’t able to give me a print out ( it seems nobody has every asked before) but will get someone else to do it this week. She was able to tell me my HnA1c is 36 which is very cheering news as it was 40 last time. I feel motivated enough to resist the crumpet chat now (I think)
Brilliant A1c - told you you would be fine. Really pleased for you - well deserved.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning/evening folks, a straight 5.0 on the dice, very welcome especially after home made pitta pizza for tea last night.

@SaskiaKC there is a release mechanism on all lift doors, sometimes its a small round hole or an inverted V shape, the building manager should know where this key is located, generally hanging up in the lift motor room or the key safe. The key is a lever that locates into the keyhole and mechanically opens the locking mechanism enabling the doors to be pushed apart, if the lift isn't at that particular floor though you may be looking at a long drop, glad it all turned out ok for you and the KC, and good on the lobby clerk for bringing your groceries up for you.

Every blessing,
Trick

Thank you. :) That is good to know. I will say this for this particular clerk, she has come a long way from her first week here, when she did not know how to unlock the freight elevator after a team of movers had booked it. Not her fault at all, rather, lack of proper training by our "management" and her own firm. She herself is a super person, and does a great job with what information she is given.

I am just so grateful I was not inside the elevator when it got stuck, unlike poor @gennepher . There would probably have been dents in the inner doors, and a puddle of raving lunatic on the floor when they were finally opened!

Blessings to you, Trick. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The balaclava was brilliant and I was warm and toasty. So far so good - the local constabulary haven't spotted me. You are right about the walking. There is no way on earth that I would have walked this morning if it wasn't for two Labradors looking at me accusingly.

I have Nordic walking poles - they helped my rehab enormously after a white van came out of a side turning and ran me over as I was cycling along the main road 15 years ago.

When my walking improved I did try walking with Nordic Poles and a Labrador. We were in the Lake District at the time. This didn't go well and once Labradors lead and poles were untangled we had to dash to the nearest chemist to get some plasters for my knees.

Your new balaclava sounds brilliant. I was also interested to read about your Nordic Poles. I think mine are the same thing -- a neighbor has a pair for walking, and I ordered a pair. They have been great and I am working on being brave enough to walk farther afield with them. I usually take my shopping cart because most of my walking here is in the shopping area anyway and I usually come home with some groceries or something.
Thank goodness I don't have to take the KittenCat walking with me! :)

These are like my poles:

51w1KAwb7NL._AC_UX679_.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Muddy Cyclist and @gennepher May I offer two suggestions for your consideration, don't know if they are appropriate, but having been a librarian this is what I would try:
I would ask a local librarian (the head librarian, not just library staff) for help in finding local resources for MIL.
I would also ask MIL's vicar/priest/clergy. Some can be great sources of local info; others ... meh. :( But maybe worth a call?

I apologize if I am speaking out of turn, I realize I'm not exactly local! I am just part hound, part terrier when it comes to chasing down and ferreting out whatever info exists.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your new balaclava sounds brilliant. I was also interested to read about your Nordic Poles. I think mine are the same thing -- a neighbor has a pair for walking, and I ordered a pair. They have been great and I am working on being brave enough to walk farther afield with them. I usually take my shopping cart because most of my walking here is in the shopping area anyway and I usually come home with some groceries or something.
Thank goodness I don't have to take the KittenCat walking with me! :)

These are like my poles:

51w1KAwb7NL._AC_UX679_.jpg
Those look very professional @SaskiaKC. Nordic walking poles have gloves https://nordicwalking.co.uk/product/fizan_pro_100_carbon_pair/ and more here http://www.nordicacademy.com.au/ind...-poles/nordic-walking-poles-or-trekking-poles

Last edited:
Reactions: gennepher

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Congratulations on your 36! :) And also on your plan to resist the crumpet chat -- I would go out and eat one; I need your discipline!

Hmm ... wonder if your Dennis would enjoy attending a Christmas camp with @geefull 's young Katie ...
Might go OK with a couple of Labradors as camp counselors ...

t31180.gif
t0482.gif
t0482.gif
t0482.gif
t0482.gif
t31126.gif