What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@geefull I hope the drift dissipates as the days lengthen and I am sure others value your posts as much as me. Thanks for all the supportive posts today. Suffolk deliveries done, meat collected, Amazon came early. Colonoscopy for Julie tomorrow - still lots of fluid for her to drink tonight which is not very pleasant she tells me.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@geefull I hope the drift dissipates as the days lengthen and I am sure others value your posts as much as me. Thanks for all the supportive posts today. Suffolk deliveries done, meat collected, Amazon came early. Colonoscopy for Julie tomorrow - still lots of fluid for her to drink tonight which is not very pleasant she tells me.

Sounds an unpleasant procedure I know but I hope it proves useful in the long run, and helps to guide diagnosis and appropriate treatment for her.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was really shocked at the way Saffy reacted. She was a brilliant PAT dog and we visited a local hospital every week and a care home so she was well used to being a caring dog. So to completely ignore MIL she must have been really affected by MIL's dementia.

That makes the situation even more sad and bewildering. It must be like @jjraak said, the spirit or essence of the person disappears and that must matter more to a dog’s sense than sight or smell or sound of the person.

Reactions: HarryBeau

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That makes the situation even more sad and bewildering. It must be like @jjraak said, the spirit or essence of the person disappears and that must matter more to a dog’s sense than sight or smell or sound of the person.
Yes - that has to be the reason. At the time I couldn't work out why it was happening as MIL still looked the same. Dogs (and cats) are much more complex than I realised.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to the Crematorium early today to lay red flowers for FIL and MIL. Got there and there was a lake several inches deep near our bit, couldn't even get near. It was sad to see Christmas ornaments and tributes floating on the lake. We had to come away with our flowers but could hear MIL saying “never mind you did your best” never said a bad word about anyone ever. Went on to visit elderly uncle and had a lovely time with him and remembering his late wife. She would be so proud of him.

a winner for the upbeat post and end of day with uncle.., ( think your right in her being proud, from the tone of the evening )
rather then staying upset at not being able to lay wreath & flowers.
i think those you went to visit would have said as you mentioned...

I doubt the spirit world changes peoples perceptions of the efforts we still make in their name.

..and pretty sure those much loved, know only too well, we don't even have to go to their final resting place to pay our respects, that can happen in the kitchen or anywhere else, once we choose to reflect on the love we all shared..now and forever.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.5 this Saturday morning. Yesterday I thought I was circling the McGarrett Plains; today it feels more like I'm in orbit around them.

22.jpg

orbiting-usa-spaceship-earth-photo-748x468.jpg

Hugs for the feeling..but a 'creative ' and much enjoyed view of just how infuriating this woe can be sometimes.:banghead:

The more i read, the more convinced i become the body does NOT like surprises.

eat a lot of meat ?..eat if for a good while..and it KNOWS your a Carnivore..so it adjusts.

Sorry to say it, ladies..but it is very much like a man driving and reading a Map.

it DOES NOT need to stop and ask ANYONE for directions.. it knows EXACTLY where it is ..at ALL times...
(yep, just described me and most fellas, i think..pre sat nav days)

So it preps for the expected and then kicks back watching the liver, kidneys etc, working their But off..while it just chills...

until.. AAGGHH :***:...the alarm bells go off inside us, as we guzzle or fast unexpectedly

HOW very DARE we,spoil the plan by eating too much of something or too little .

i think it's like a mom, in it has it's own special way of looking out/after us
you know, a mum that has a meal plan for days ahead of delicious, nutritious foods and a few of our favourites, to boot.
so everything's planned, defrosted and cooking.as the kids walk through the door, and.then she spots the kids have come home with empty Kentucky boxes.., and it's "cheers Mum but not really hungry now"

just SO she doesn't waste more food, she doesn't bother cooking tomorrow..and then of course the kids come home all 'Hank Marvin'...
and now she's stressed because she feels like she's not being a GOOD mum,
and the kids pick up on this but see it as 'why DON'T you love us anymore':bigtears:..

and then the calls and texting begin again, as she starts to check once again where they are, and pays closer attention to what they are doing, so she KNOWS whether to cook or not.

the kids KNOW they have food to eat at home so don't snack before hand...and it all goes so very well and back to normal..
...Until next time the kids come home with McDonald's and say
"hey mum, don't bother cooking, we ate already"...AAGGHH.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
In my opinion,@ianpspurs, the colonoscopy is not so bad. I always think the effect of Picolax or similar preparation is more unpleasant. Best wishes to Juie for tomorrow.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening everyone :)

4.7 yesterday, 4.7 today

just back from mum's Sunday dinner, mum cooked a roast dinner :) I had two small roasted spuds so we'll see how that goes :sorry: two and a half years of LC eating and mum is still putting mashed and roast potatoes on my plate, thankfully there was lots of cabbage :hilarious:

I'm in 'drift' mode a bit at the moment I think, every now and again I end up feeling like lots of things are an effort. A touch of burn out perhaps :( and I'm trying to post here at least every second day if I'm not making every day.

Coming here to the society of like minded folks definitely helps, so thank you all :)

I'm going to try to start catching up on reading the bits of thread I've missed now

Hope your day is treating you and yours kindly :)

edited to add @jjraak so glad for the news of your nephew :) home for Christmas
and @ianpspurs expect you will conquer your logistics in your usual effective way and I must say your grandaughter is a sweetheart :)

It can be all consuming cant it? A touch of burn out I'm sure. But we bounce back after it takes its course. Onwards and upwards. All for one and one for all on our wonderful supportive friendly thread. Dinner sounds yummy, hope you enjoyed the roasties.

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope all goes well for Julie tomorrow.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist enjoy your peaceful lunch with your sister today, sounds like a perfect bit of time out from your Mil worries. Is it tomorrow she moves to the care home near you
Yes @DJC3 it is Monday that MIL is moved to nursing home, we did not visit today as we were seeing my sister but a cousin went.

@jjraak What great news for your family and nephew.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The more i read, the more convinced i become the body does NOT like surprises.
My body did this to me today. Lunch with Sister and BIL was most enjoyable. After the few weeks of dealing with MIL and for the first time since my T2 diagnosis in April I decided to throw caution completely to the wind and just eat a Roast Lunch and Sweet with no regards for the Carb intake, I knew I would pay for such recklessness. My sister laughed saying I wouldn't bother testing your BG for the rest of the day you've blown it.

So 1 had Roast Beef, Large Yorkshire Pudding, 4 huge roast potatoes, Red Cabbage, Carrots, Parsnips roasted in honey, onion marmalade, greens, English mustard, I glass of red wine. Then a Pavlova and coffee to finish. 2 hours later a 4.8 I never get that low after a fast. I took it again after another hour and it was 5.2. For the rest of the evening it's not gone above 5.5 even though I had a smoked salmon with cottage cheese salad followed by yoghurt, nuts and seeds, cheese and nuts and some 90% chocolate for my evening meal. I wonder what the Morning will deliver, watch this space.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My body did this to me today. Lunch with Sister and BIL was most enjoyable. After the few weeks of dealing with MIL and for the first time since my T2 diagnosis in April I decided to throw caution completely to the wind and just eat a Roast Lunch and Sweet with no regards for the Carb intake, I knew I would pay for such recklessness. My sister laughed saying I wouldn't bother testing your BG for the rest of the day you've blown it.

So 1 had Roast Beef, Large Yorkshire Pudding, 4 huge roast potatoes, Red Cabbage, Carrots, Parsnips roasted in honey, onion marmalade, greens, English mustard, I glass of red wine. Then a Pavlova and coffee to finish. 2 hours later a 4.8 I never get that low after a fast. I took it again after another hour and it was 5.2. For the rest of the evening it's not gone above 5.5 even though I had a smoked salmon with cottage cheese salad followed by yoghurt, nuts and seeds, cheese and nuts and some 90% chocolate for my evening meal. I wonder what the Morning will deliver, watch this space.
Amazing for the bs . and the meal. Sounded delish. You have had one hell of a rollercoaster ride and throwing caution to the wind was no doubt a great tonic for you today.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Popped up to niece's last night... Nephew home, on couch.. Watching football.... Whoop. Whoop.

The boys like to nickname every one..
My dad was Rambo, due to trying to stitch his arm himself..:woot::hilarious:

I'm going to throw in Jack Black's "Tenacious D' as a suggestion.... The sheet tenacity of the boy.
A few weeks back, we were told to consider a priest,.. Yet now.:wideyed::happy:
..a Christmas miracle?

Who knows... We are just grateful to have him back among us, so we do thank God.

I am glad all is okay with your nephew. The best possible Christmas present you could have.
Enjoy your Christmas.
Take care.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from the northern (Bossanova) school of cramp dancing.

The wonder wheel of “early to bed, early to rise but can we negotiate a reasonable time” came in at 4.8 this am

I went all Ultravox yesterday; started a huge jar of sauerkraut and then made Viennese stuffed cabbage with sour cream - this means nothing to me, Oh! Vienna.

MIL has now decided that she does not want to come round for Christmas Dinner tomorrow because she would not be able to do it justice. So, we have booked a table at a restaurant for lunch time tomorrow. It has both a Christmas menu as well as their regular one and she can choose a smaller plate. She should be fine at our daughters on Christmas Day as it is a buffet affair and she can pick.

@ianpspurs - all the best for Julie today. A Megga Bus of extra festive hugs to all that need them - take one anyway - they keep. Have a great day if you can and rember, everything is on it’s way to somewhere.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs Best wishes and prayers for Julie today and for you, and all the medical team involved.

@Muddy Cyclist Best wishes and prayers for you and Mrs MC and MIL for the move, and for all the staff and residents at the nursing home.

Comfort and joy to everyone today, as we begin the time of longer days and more light, and shorter nights that will hopefully continue to provide restful sleep and sweet dreams.