What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg somewhere amongst a range of readings from 5.3 to 6.4, stopping at 6.2 and all stations to whereabouts unknown. Month long "best rest incase" and get as close to carni as I can tolerate pretty dismal failure IMHO - full blood count may reveal something different if'n I needed more white noise. @gennepher I loved those jars as well as the content. @dunelm fbg tickety boo, week with grandchildren = priceless. @OldButBold hugs for fbg anomaly - a wise old owl reckons crumpets are the way forward. @Krystyna23040 thanks for a glimpse of your menus - if you don't want to go public with your data ( height, weight) ta PM with that + amounts of chicken and veggies would be helpful. Seeing pics on the what have you eaten thread seems to me all the superstars have dolls plates and are hobbit sized with sparrow portions. I too have noticed cholesterol rises with weight loss - at sub 22 bmi with lots of IF and fasting it is too high for my liking.
No problem with going public with data - height 5'6" weight 9st 12lb but it sometimes drops to 9st 6lb which is way too low for me.

Chicken is usually 50g per meal and that's usually the same when I have lamb or pork or beef.

Nuts and flaxseeds are in 20g portions. Cheese is 20 to 30g except halloumi which is always 50g. Yoghurt 50g, cream between 80ml and 150ml. Butter - enough to stir fry. Raspberries and blackberries up to 40g.

Asparagus is the thin sort and always 4 stalks (I have absolutely no idea why)
Mushrooms usually 50g. I don't weigh the green veggies or lettuce but I don't have huge portions - I probably have a dinner only half the size of my husbands.

Daily food choices are input into Fatsecret and carb portions are adjusted to get the usual 20g a day. I do weigh stuff because I am rubbish at guessing portion sizes.

I actually enjoy the weighing and logging - especially as it isn't stressful like it was when I was injecting insulin. Yesterday I unusually had 25g carbs during the day which resulted in blood sugars going up to 6.6 two hours after dinner and they didn't drop all evening. Was relieved I was 5.6 this morning.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My favorite chocolate is just a piece of solid chocolate, preferably dark chocolate. I will eat it with nuts, but, like @DJC3 's dad, I want to know what's inside a piece of boxed chocolate. I never liked fruit centers, except the ones Mama made every Christmas, that looked like these:

maraschino-truffles-b1b.jpg

Ooh a homemade cherry chocolate must have been divine, and very fiddly to make.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.8 today
Yesterday was cheese and mushroom omelette
Aldi choc n nut bar 5.9g
Naked chicken and donner kebab with chili sauce and garlic mayo.
Always up slightly morning after due to protein amount. But I'm not eating a naan bread which would have about 80g carbs!!! Its like eating cardboard anyway so I dont miss them.

Read article which I found quite interesting For info:

https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-5-14

I'm doing a social media blog friends and acquaintances that might want to lose a few lb the LC way or control blood sugars. More time consuming than I anticipated. But happy to help. Getting lots of thank you messages so the posts are helping.

Will catch up on thread later today.

Happy Saturday folks
donor kebab my fave i could live on it morning noon and night with tahini sauce :hungry:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another winner @gennepher did you use acrylics?

I agree about expens, art material is so expensive and if you buy very cheap not so nice to use. I will stick to my A5 for daily paintings but you are right bigger does allow you to be free and expressive, my best life class drawings were A1 with large brushes or large pieces of oil pastels.

Today I have to start doing some Seascape sketches for my big watercolour commission, not yet in the mood, another cup of coffee I think.

Sorry, I should have said @Muddy Cyclist
I used acrylics.
Actually I bought a bunch of acrylics, job lot, last year for less than a quarter price. Nice stuff too.
So no problems with the acrylic paints for the moment. It is basically just the paper. Canvas board too expensive for daily painting. And so is dedicated acrylic paper.
I am still on the quest for larger sheet of paper. I don't mind priming it in advance. I am pretty certain there is something out there I can utilise.

I absolutely hate commissions. For me they are soul destroying. I stopped doing commissions 20 years ago when I was about to lose my cool with someone who was being very finicky and demanding. Now is my second childhood...I will do exactly what I want to do, even if it may be irreverent!

Good luck with your Seascape commission. May it proceed easily, effortlessly, and enjoyably!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 today
Yesterday was cheese and mushroom omelette
Aldi choc n nut bar 5.9g
Naked chicken and donner kebab with chili sauce and garlic mayo.
Always up slightly morning after due to protein amount. But I'm not eating a naan bread which would have about 80g carbs!!! Its like eating cardboard anyway so I dont miss them.

Read article which I found quite interesting For info:

https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-5-14

I'm doing a social media blog friends and acquaintances that might want to lose a few lb the LC way or control blood sugars. More time consuming than I anticipated. But happy to help. Getting lots of thank you messages so the posts are helping.

Will catch up on thread later today.

Happy Saturday folks
Have bookmarked the article as it was really interesting and good that they followed people over 44 months. Very interesting that some of the control group switched to low carb as soon as they were allowed to.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No problem with going public with data - height 5'6" weight 9st 12lb but it sometimes drops to 9st 6lb which is way too low for me.

Chicken is usually 50g per meal and that's usually the same when I have lamb or pork or beef.

Nuts and flaxseeds are in 20g portions. Cheese is 20 to 30g except halloumi which is always 50g. Yoghurt 50g, cream between 80ml and 150ml. Butter - enough to stir fry. Raspberries and blackberries up to 40g.

Asparagus is the thin sort and always 4 stalks (I have absolutely no idea why)
Mushrooms usually 50g. I don't weigh the green veggies or lettuce but I don't have huge portions - I probably have a dinner only half the size of my husbands.

Daily food choices are input into Fatsecret and carb portions are adjusted to get the usual 20g a day. I do weigh stuff because I am rubbish at guessing portion sizes.

I actually enjoy the weighing and logging - especially as it isn't stressful like it was when I was injecting insulin. Yesterday I unusually had 25g carbs during the day which resulted in blood sugars going up to 6.6 two hours after dinner and they didn't drop all evening. Was relieved I was 5.6 this morning.
Thanks for that data. Unfortunately, it has left me even more forlorn. Looking at those portion sizes my only hope is to fast most days. I clearly have a long hard road ahead to control my appetite. Thank you so much for sharing - last cheeky request. Do you know the average cals in and out for extrapolating macros/percentages? I appreciate that you have far better things to do with your time so thanks for all the information so far and I understand if you say enough is enough.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that data. Unfortunately it has left me even more forlorn. Looking at those portion sizes my only hope is to fast most days. I clearly have a long hard road ahead to control my appetite. Thank you so much for sharing - last cheeky request. Do you know the average cals in and out for extrapolating macros/percentages? I appreciate that you have far better things to do with your time so thanks for all the information.
I agree that my portion sizes look small - but my total calories are around 1700 a day - mainly because of the cream and butter. My husband would literally starve on what I eat - and I think you would also.

My smaller portions are not for managing diabetes but I truly cannot eat larger meals. The managing diabetes part is the lower carbs - never ate huge amounts before but my diet was high carb and low fat.

I looked at a typical day on Fatsecret. It gave a calorie- breakdown - cals 1700, carbs 12% fat 77% , protein 11%. I have absolutely no idea if that is good or bad - nor how to work out macros.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that my portion sizes look small - but my total calories are around 1700 a day - mainly because of the cream and butter. My husband would literally starve on what I eat - and I think you would also.

My smaller portions are not for managing diabetes but I truly cannot eat larger meals. The managing diabetes part is the lower carbs - never ate huge amounts before but my diet was high carb and low fat.

I looked at a typical day on Fatsecret. It gave a calorie- breakdown - cals 1700, carbs 12% fat 77% , protein 11%. I have absolutely no idea if that is good or bad - nor how to work out macros.
Thanks so much for that. Interestingly, that breakdown looks almost identical to my chrono-meter analysis - probably slightly higher cals and a higher protein ratio. Looks like bg control wise I have a great future behind me/LC was the future once.:angelic: You've given me more of your time than I deserve so thanks again.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for that. Interestingly, that breakdown looks almost identical to my chrono-meter analysis - probably slightly higher cals and a higher protein ratio. Looks like bg control wise I have a great future behind me/LC was the future once.:angelic: You've given me more of your time than I deserve so thanks again.
Am just wondering if what is going on with you health wise is messing up what is happening to your numbers as I know that you do 'play down' the seriousness of what is happening at the moment.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I absolutely hate commissions. For me they are soul destroying. I stopped doing commissions 20 years ago when I was about to lose my cool with someone who was being very finicky and demanding. Now is my second childhood...I will do exactly what I want to do, even if it may be irreverent!

Good luck with your Seascape commission. May it proceed easily, effortlessly, and enjoyably!

Thanks, I'm with you on commission work, I will only do a painting if the subject is a challenge and I'm happy with the brief, I won't work from the photos people send so if they are not happy with my ideas I don't do it, I am however quite persuasive and they accept my ideas and if they don't I just walk away. I never charge even for the materials just do them for the love of it so no pressure really, just self inflicted pressure which keeps me on my toes wanting to do the best I can. I look at commissions as making me produce an actual painting otherwise I just fill sketch books and never do a complete piece of art :joyful:

I used to get off cuts of thin unwanted plywood from a local wood yard to do oil paintings on, they used to keep them for me, all sorts of sizes. You could try any local trades men, home improvement types they always have off cuts.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

4.4 today

chilly and a bit damp here today and I'm just makiing a pan of soup :)
A quiet day with a walk later and some tidying up ;)

Looking at all the talented people here and thinking I should go do something too :)

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hugs for fbg "anomaly" - a wise old owl reckons crumpets are the way forward.

I should have succumbed but, I had a protein-only breakfast. Walk home via the park took 30 mins and a retest showed 6.9. Bizarre, so I changed pots for new strips, no difference.

I wonder if lime marmalade goes on crumpets?

there is no understanding why this happens, just need to go on your merry way.

Indeed, I usually content myself with the fact that the rest of the days' readings are low, not today though :bag:;)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should have succumbed but, I had a protein-only breakfast. Walk home via the park took 30 mins and a retest showed 6.9. Bizarre, so I changed pots for new strips, no difference.

I wonder if lime marmalade goes on crumpets?

Indeed, I usually content myself with the fact that the rest of the days' readings are low, not today though :bag:;)
Hope you’re not coming down with anything, take care.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I'm with you on commission work, I will only do a painting if the subject is a challenge and I'm happy with the brief, I won't work from the photos people send so if they are not happy with my ideas I don't do it, I am however quite persuasive and they accept my ideas and if they don't I just walk away. I never charge even for the materials just do them for the love of it so no pressure really, just self inflicted pressure which keeps me on my toes wanting to do the best I can. I look at commissions as making me produce an actual painting otherwise I just fill sketch books and never do a complete piece of art :joyful:

I used to get off cuts of thin unwanted plywood from a local wood yard to do oil paintings on, they used to keep them for me, all sorts of sizes. You could try any local trades men, home improvement types they always have off cuts.
Thanks for that. That's an idea @Muddy Cyclist
Where I lived before there were skips just about everywhere.
All kinds of goodies to be found. Especially plywood.
I almost never see a skip now.
But there are woodyards near here...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am just wondering if what is going on with you health wise is messing up what is happening to your numbers as I know that you do 'play down' the seriousness of what is happening at the moment.
Interesting idea BUT either this WOE works or it doesn't regardless of the hitchhiker. A very pleasing letter arrived today just after I posted a reply to you. I had a "little local difficulty" aka haematuria (Nordic walking?) on Dec 5 which I followed up (hence month sitting on bum) Test on Dec 28th (pee in pot basically) came back today - no cancer cells :):):). Camera in the hon member for Fenland Jan 21st as 1st follow up since op. Have managed to move my treatment/follow up to Addenbrookes, Cambridge - much happier. Still think this WOE either works or it doesn't but there have been all sorts of odd chemicals in my body since August so maybe some disruption. We'll get this 90th for MIL over tomorrow, rearrange rooms to get ex bike back where I want it, access to weights and start again. May even go back to PT but not be quite so competitive.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting idea BUT either this WOE works or it doesn't regardless of the hitchhiker. A very pleasing letter arrived today just after I posted a reply to you. I had a "little local difficulty" aka haematuria (Nordic walking?) on Dec 5 which I followed up (hence month sitting on bum) Test on Dec 28th (pee in pot basically) came back today - no cancer cells :):):). Camera in the hon member for Fenland Jan 21st as 1st follow up since op. Have managed to move my treatment/follow up to Addenbrookes, Cambridge - much happier. Still think this WOE either works or it doesn't but there have been all sorts of odd chemicals in my body since August so maybe some disruption. We'll get this 90th for MIL over tomorrow, rearrange rooms to get ex bike back where I want it, access to weights and start again. May even go back to PT but not be quite so competitive.
Great news about today’s results, dont envy you the check up with the camera though. You really have had a lot of stressful events this last year, house selling/buying, health, dogs, and if you’re anything like me when I am stressed I dont always recognise it for what it is. Also lovely as it is to be laying on celebration tomorrow that carries its own worry. I think when you get to your new pad and get a couple of pups it (bg) will all get a lot better.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. That's an idea @Muddy Cyclist
Where I lived before there were skips just about everywhere.
All kinds of goodies to be found. Especially plywood.
I almost never see a skip now.
But there are woodyards near here...
Hi Gennepher do you have a shop called The Works near you. They sell books and artists materials and crafting bits and pieces and are very reasonably priced. I have never looked at the art range so dont know if its any good but just a thought!

Reactions: trick60

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I broke my promise to myself and have gone from A5 to A4 for my 4th painting of the year and slow spent 1 hour instead of 30 mins, my excuse being it's a sketch that might work for my Seascape Commission which has been requested A1 size. I think I will have to make the sky a little more moody and the refelction in the damp sand more prominent to please them, we shall see...

I have included the photo they sent, too dark for a watercolour IMO, need to get the finished one between the painting and photo.

Yes, I know I have also turned it around but the view down Barmouth Beach is much better towards Harlech. :)

IMG_2395.JPG