What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a very bad day at work ( those days when nothing works and everything u do results in nothing and world collapse )

Had a slice of something made out of egg and veggies and cheese at work . Cannot remember the name but it looked like quiche with more cheese
Drink: black coffee and a very small amount of a coconut drink ( just to try it)

Lunch had the smallest lunch possible :
1- very tiny amount of fish ( baby size) with
2- one table spoon of mash potato
3- and a few slices of dried banana as dessert .

To my full surprise: It sent my BG to the roof ( 190 !!! It is always below 140 after means ) . I think 190 is equivalent to 10.5 . Im so sad .

Dinner : I was too sad and unhappy to think of an elaborate dinner !
I just had an egg , 4 mushrooms and some green leaves with a bit of Gouda cheese .

I’m so sad today . Bf gave me a teddy bear for holidays . I gonna go to be now and cuddle my teddy bear and wish I was still able to eat cream puffs

@DJC3 : mushrooms are my favorite food . Try them with a bit of pomegranate sauce. Yummy !
The dried banana would have been the cause of the blood sugar spike, I have eaten kind of green banana's with full fat yoghurt before and a bit of cinnamon and was ok after.

Winnie-the-Pooh

The dried banana would have been the cause of the blood sugar spike, I have eaten kind of green banana's with full fat yoghurt before and a bit of cinnamon and was ok after.

Thanks . I was suspecting it. I won’t try it again .

I read that you are Aussie ! I hope you are safe from bush fires ? I have lived half of my life in Australia. I’m so very sad. Every time I read news , I get so sad , I will have to go shopping therapy or eat something that is bad for me.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Hello all,

A bit late posting tonight -- long day at work.

@Chook -- Good to see you back and glad you've managed to get through the stressful time with family and funeral. I'm sure you're blood sugars will return to normal in a couple of days.
@Annb -- Glad there wasn't much wrong with the car. Btw, excellent blood sugars the other day.
@DJC3 and @maglil55 -- The consequences of cauli leaves/brussels sprouts eating dogs put a big smile on my face. It's easy to visualize (or should I say smellalize?).
@DJC3, @shelley262 and @Goonergal -- I have never had the original myself, guess it's a bit too late now, even though Sacher torte isn't particularly sweet based on what I've heard.

Here's the recipe for the Sacher torte:
Start with chocolate mousse, add a quarter of cup almond flour, bake at 175 degrees for around 30-45 minutes (done when toothpick comes out clean), let cool, cut into two or three layers, spread apricot jam (I found a version made with erythritol and 6g of carbs per 100g), put back together, cover with high cocoa content chocolate (I used 95% chocolate). Detailed recipe attached (including the one for chocolate mousse).

By the way, in the beginning it was a bit dry, but definitely improves with time.

Yum yum yum

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks . I was suspecting it. I won’t try it again .

I read that you are Aussie ! I hope you are safe from bush fires ? I have lived half of my life in Australia. I’m so very sad. Every time I read news , I get so sad , I will have to go shopping therapy or eat something that is bad for me.
I don't watch the news, haven't in years it's so scary and makes me sad as well. Yeah safe from the fires thank goodness.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a very bad day at work ( those days when nothing works and everything u do results in nothing and world collapse )

Had a slice of something made out of egg and veggies and cheese at work . Cannot remember the name but it looked like quiche with more cheese
Drink: black coffee and a very small amount of a coconut drink ( just to try it)

Lunch had the smallest lunch possible :
1- very tiny amount of fish ( baby size) with
2- one table spoon of mash potato
3- and a few slices of dried banana as dessert .

To my full surprise: It sent my BG to the roof ( 190 !!! It is always below 140 after means ) . I think 190 is equivalent to 10.5 . Im so sad .

Dinner : I was too sad and unhappy to think of an elaborate dinner !
I just had an egg , 4 mushrooms and some green leaves with a bit of Gouda cheese .

I’m so sad today . Bf gave me a teddy bear for holidays . I gonna go to be now and cuddle my teddy bear and wish I was still able to eat cream puffs

@DJC3 : mushrooms are my favorite food . Try them with a bit of pomegranate sauce. Yummy !
If the egg/veggie thing wasn't made by you it's possible there could be something carby in it. Also mash and banana are two things that would send my BGs shooting up. I find berries are a better choice. Do you test to see the effect of various foods?

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 08/01/2020
Breakfast: 45g rolled oats, 60g full fat greek yoghurt
Lunch: Two white corn tortillas, 100g kimchi, 40g classic hummus, 111g peeled cucumber, 67g spicy tofu (the last slice)
Dinner: 189g carrot cabbage slaw, 167g butternut squash, 50g kalmata olives, 130g roast salmon

course of tablets for thrush ran it's course, didn't clear it up completely, but the tablets and coming off keto did a number on my digestive system, and general well being, starting to feel much better today. Still using peppermint tea and ginger and lemon tea but tummy is behaving much better. I think I developed an intolerance for eggs after using so many of them while doing keto, not uncommon from anecdotal evidence, as I never ate a lot of them before. Can still cope with diary thank goodness, and beans don't seem to be a problem. Went and purchased some fresh blackberries and planning to try to see how they go on my porridge tomorrow. Also purchased some sprouted sunflower kernels and sprouted khorasan grain sourdough bread to try. Lets see if I can have vegemite, tomato and cheese on a slice of toast, it was always a favorite growing up. When I was first diagnosed and hot my A1C down to 30, I was still eating rye bread with hummus and tofurky slices. So lets see what this sprouted bread does. Linky for those interested, but by god it's expensive, $12 Australian dollars a loaf. Will test more specifically in a fortnight when I get a blood glucose monitor, but for now just going from what I ate right after diagnoses, till about 6 months ago. https://purelifebakery.com.au/product/sunflower-sourdough/

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
So, yesterday I prepped the stir fry I'd planned for dinner and noticed I still had a raw going slightly soft beetroot in the fridge, so rather than waste it all I cut about a quarter of it in to matchstick size and added it to the stir fry. Well.... I won't be doing THAT again. 1) it turned the entire stir fry deep purple red (very off-putting) and 2) my BG went from 6.2 before dinner to 9.7 two hours later!! Ouch!

Dry January and no GF has been fine for me (so far). Its more difficult giving up the nightshade vegetables - I keep forgetting what I can and can't eat (peppers are a special problem because they go in to so much of my favourite meals). I'm going to cancel them from this week's Asda order although Mr C is getting worried about how restrictive my diet is becoming but I'm managing so far.

@ziggy_w - that sachertorte sounds wonderful - and this is from someone who doesn't like chocolate cake - but how do you make the chocolate mousse?

Today's menu is:
FBG was 9.1 (a bit of an improvement from yesterday but far from low enough)
B: Mozzarella chaffle with a heaped teaspoon of almond butter spread on top.
2 hours later still 9.1
L: Will be some dolce Gorgonzola with a few baby plum tomatoes and cucumber slices - I'm still working my way through the Christmas cheese mountain. The Christmas wine lake now resides in the garage where I can't see it.
D: Not sure - I'd originally planned the same stir fry as yesterday but am re-thinking it after that steep BG rise - probably will be a small amount of roasted mushrooms, garlic cloves, fennel and a few tomatoes with the last of the quorn roast diced and all stirred in to some fake noodles.
Drinks: 2 x huge mugs of black decaff coffee, diet caffeine free Pepsi with tablets, then water the rest of the day with maybe a glass of carb free lime tonic (from Asda) in the evening. I seem to need that bitter evening drink. Strange.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Quinn1066 glad you’re feeling a bit better
@Chook hugs for the BG spike after beetroot but the idea of a purple stir fry did make me chuckle a bit.Glad that GF is going well.

Today was my usual work day lunch of bacon, eggs and grated cheese. Dinner was deliciously tender slow cooked lamb breast (finally got the setting on the IP right first time) flavoured with garlic, thyme and lemon zest.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in West London. Nothing to eat today as I have horrible abdo pain. Didn’t even finish my morning coffee - always a sign something’s up. Hope to goodness it’s gone by tomorrow, I couldn’t spend an hour on the tube like this.
Sent Mr C down the road for chicken oxo as I want something hot and salty but not solid. I have a load of h/m bone broth in Cornwall which is irritating. No idea what carb count of oxo is but don’t care atm.

Reactions: Quinn1066

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in West London. Nothing to eat today as I have horrible abdo pain. Didn’t even finish my morning coffee - always a sign something’s up. Hope to goodness it’s gone by tomorrow, I couldn’t spend an hour on the tube like this.
Sent Mr C down the road for chicken oxo as I want something hot and salty but not solid. I have a load of h/m bone broth in Cornwall which is irritating. No idea what carb count of oxo is but don’t care atm.

Big hugs and take care. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. x

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should have got Mr C to get Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillion. It's readily available in supermarkets and it's powdered. It's actually quite pleasant and handy to have if you just want a tasty drink. Hope you're OK soon. Hugs xx

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.4 FBG 5.6. BGs are very stable which is good. Not surprisingly my daily carb totals are also very low. Back on the school run. It was a struggle getting out of bed as I hate the dark mornings and I didn't have a great night for some reason. I reckon I'll sleep tonight. The storm had given way to a chilly but dry morning thankfully. Boys back to school quite happy while Hubby was busy making broth for when they get in.
B. TAG with ADOC. 2 rashers of crispy back bacon, 2 fried eggs.
L. A few almonds and hazelnuts on a trip to Costco with son.
D. Tonight's DD delight is buffalo chicken with butter fried cabbage and spicy mayo. Yes it's cabbage night. Hubby is having broth.

DD-538-KetoBuffaloChickenThightFriedCabbage2-1.jpeg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 sorry to hear you are still having tum pain. I think if it was the mussels you would have had a violent reaction within 12 hours but thats not much comfort atm. Hope the salty stock helps. I love Knorr Chicken granules (jar) but they are hard to come by. Bigger branches of Sainsbury and Tesco used to stock them but I bought a big haul about 18 months ago. Take care.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BG last night was 9.8 and FBG today was 9.0. Ah well, another day...

Breakfast was at 9.30 this morning - I was expecting my floor cleaning lady to come, but she didn't so I could have left it until later. Anyway it was a chaffle with 2 fried eggs.
Lunch - coffee with cream.
Dinner is going to be another chaffle with some "sloppy joe" out of the freezer. Some paprika and tomato in it, but not too many carbs. Until I can 1. empty my freezers a bit of things with veg in them and 2. get to the butcher's shop to get more meat, I can't really do all animal products, so the sloppy joe was, I think, a reasonable concession.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all, much appreciated, he bought gluten free Knorr it’s 0.6 g carbs per cube and tasted wonderful. Might have a warm bath and another mug in a bit. Pain is lessening.
Mr C is happy I’m tucked up in bed as there is only 1 chair downstairs now and we were ‘discussing’ on the way up how we would decide who sat in it.
Bg before stock drink was 6.9 blimey!

Reactions: maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, yesterday I prepped the stir fry I'd planned for dinner and noticed I still had a raw going slightly soft beetroot in the fridge, so rather than waste it all I cut about a quarter of it in to matchstick size and added it to the stir fry. Well.... I won't be doing THAT again. 1) it turned the entire stir fry deep purple red (very off-putting) and 2) my BG went from 6.2 before dinner to 9.7 two hours later!! Ouch!

Dry January and no GF has been fine for me (so far). Its more difficult giving up the nightshade vegetables - I keep forgetting what I can and can't eat (peppers are a special problem because they go in to so much of my favourite meals). I'm going to cancel them from this week's Asda order although Mr C is getting worried about how restrictive my diet is becoming but I'm managing so far.

@ziggy_w - that sachertorte sounds wonderful - and this is from someone who doesn't like chocolate cake - but how do you make the chocolate mousse?

Today's menu is:
FBG was 9.1 (a bit of an improvement from yesterday but far from low enough)
B: Mozzarella chaffle with a heaped teaspoon of almond butter spread on top.
2 hours later still 9.1
L: Will be some dolce Gorgonzola with a few baby plum tomatoes and cucumber slices - I'm still working my way through the Christmas cheese mountain. The Christmas wine lake now resides in the garage where I can't see it.
D: Not sure - I'd originally planned the same stir fry as yesterday but am re-thinking it after that steep BG rise - probably will be a small amount of roasted mushrooms, garlic cloves, fennel and a few tomatoes with the last of the quorn roast diced and all stirred in to some fake noodles.
Drinks: 2 x huge mugs of black decaff coffee, diet caffeine free Pepsi with tablets, then water the rest of the day with maybe a glass of carb free lime tonic (from Asda) in the evening. I seem to need that bitter evening drink. Strange.
@Chook sorry for the beetroot blip. I love it and sometimes have two baby beets from a jar dried off with salad and goats cheese which is a lovely combo but not too often.

Today my intake as follows:
Breakfast: slice LivLife toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: h/m Leek & brocolli soup, two bits cheese, three tiny slices apple. (Mainly down to giving lunch to a non D friend.
Supper: Two giant cod fish fingers and sprouts. (Crossing fingers re carbs but it is a case of bare fridge syndrome).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late Lunch: Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee.
Dinner: salmon fillets with peppercorn sauce and mixed veg followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola.

Baked a low carb carrot cake today. Some will be shared with a newly diagnosed type 2 friend, who has asked me to help her, tomorrow and some with low carb friends at the weekend :)

CDED8BBD-B1B7-472C-8E7E-08D1FFC4B492.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 pleased tummy calming and hope continues to improve so you get rest and tomorrow isn’t made any harder than it already is. Take care and look after yourself. Will be thinking of you and your family tomorrow.
Almost lunch (carpenter turned up first thing to do a repair and was here 2 hours) boiled egg and half a toasted chaffle
Lots of coffee as usual throughout day some with lacto free whole milk and some with cream and square of montezumas 100% choc with almond - lovely not tried before
Dinner a couple of meatballs in a veg and tomato sauce ( done in slow cooker) served on bed of mushrooms and with a ‘garlic bread’ chaffle done in air fryer - def a keeper plus glass of red wine followed by hm lc raspberry cake (heated up so was like a sponge pudding) with full fat Greek yoghurt.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast yesterday: Usual three egg omelette with cheese and mushrooms, bacon, tomato.
Lunch: Cold meat and salad sandwiches.
Dinner: Roast leg of goat, veggies, brown onion gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no sugars, water.