What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual three egg omelette, bacon, tomatoes.
Lunch: Cold goat meat and salad.
Dinner: Pork chops, mushrooms, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, water.

I support our local butcher Des with his great meat that helps me keep my T2 under control.

1426809663239.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy days! Scan was all clear so I have another 6 months of living it up. Yeeha!
As for food, no breakfast ( only water before scan)
Lunch at 5Guys ( I kept expecting you to walk in @Goonergal even though it’s not your side of town!) bacon cheeseburger with mushrooms.
Had a couple of coffees and teas with milk while out - we had 4 hrs to kill before the clinic appt in the afternoon.
I asked the doc what her views were on a ketogenic diet for cancer prevention - she became very animated and enthusiastic, YES! She said absolutely! Then she talked about it for several minutes and said she had reviewed the evidence herself and was also on keto. She has also been in contact with Jason Fung and spoke highly of him. She was very impressed about my diabetes results. I came floating out of there on cloud nine. A double whammy this time.
@Chook on a more distressing note I saw that story about the dog too and reacted the same way you did. Horrible.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Absolutely brilliant news @DJC3

@Chook @DCUKMod when I was about 11 we moved into a house that was essentially a building site (my parents seemed to like those) with a cement mixer in the front room. As a kid it was quite good fun, but for my folks with 3 kids I can only imagine how they managed!

Carnivory continues. Lunch was bacon eggs and grated cheese. Dinner was leftovers and probably about 1.5 meals worth - some of the meatloaf and the remaining lamb breast. Delicious.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well it's been a while, but at last I can post on this thread again! This week I have maintained a ketogenic diet, a little heavy on the protein but still registering ketones over 0.5 all the time. Today (OMAD) I had crustless quiche made with eggs, butter, cheese and a small onion, slow cooked mushrooms and a side of cucumber pieces in olive oil.

I would really like to get through the weekend without getting out of ketosis, but if I don't make it this weekend I will not beat myself up... I have fresh determination to get carbs at bay though.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've heard about sprouted bread but agree at $12 a loaf never brought it.I'll be interested in how you find it.
It was actually really good, 1.5 slices was 91 grams. It's a very dense loaf I have to slice it myself. khorasan wheat has a GI of about 40, the sunflower seeds add some buffering fat, it's sprouted so that makes some of the anti-nutrients in the wheat go away mainly the phylates and the tannins. It's a sourdough so that would affect the GI even more and make it lower. I like dense bread, and it was really a very nice lunch especially with the lovely native pepper berry sauerkraut and hummus. Plus the 91g serving had 6.3g fiber and 10g protein just for the bread. Heck if $12 is the cost I have to pay to eat bread, have a nice lunch and enjoy life again then it's a price worth paying.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - amazing results and also interesting stuff re keto and cancer.
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg and one whole small toasted chaffle
Coffee with lactofree whole milk and cream whilst working throughout the day as well as a couple of squares of 100% montezumas choc with almonds
Dinner rainbow trout with lemon butter with cauliflower and broccoli cheese and glass of white (cheers @DJC3 ) pudding hm lc raspberry sponge pudding with full fat yoghurt.
Will be working right through weekend catching up on a paid work project neglected due to dental probs and caring but now need to get done to pay for dentistry done to date plus forthcoming dentistry! But notice weather good tomorrow so determined to get out there tomorrow at some stage walking at least for an hour!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had to live in building sites three times - twice without working kitchens for six months or more. I think back and wonder why on earth I was thinkinig to do something so daft when my daughter was just two years old the first time and 7 years old the second time! The first one I moved in to in a November and none of the windows fitted and no loft insulation so it was absolutely freezing. I had those dalek like calor gas heaters everywhere and the windows ran with condensation. Its amazing how quickly I forgot about the hardships and did it all over again - and then again many years later. The second time I managed to get the cooker fitted on Christmas Eve which was a relief as I had been having nightmares about having to BBQ the turkey.

Reminds me of the time 45 years ago when we moved to a house in the Hebrides in mid December. We had been on the Island since August in a rented house, but we had to leave that house and had bought an old wreck in another village. When we got to the house, through snow and ice, with much of our house contents inside and on top of an Austin Maxi, we found that the walls of the empty house running with condensation (concrete walls and floors), The house had been truly cleared by the people who had been renting the house but had moved to their own brand new house in the next village - all the light bulbs had been removed, as had the toilet seat. There was no kitchen stove, which would have run the hot water system - that had also been taken out and broken up in the garden and the pipework and hot tap taken out along with the built in kitchen units. We were left with a cold tap and a Belfast sink on a rusty iron frame. We knew there was no bathroom, never mind a bath or shower. The hole in the wall that the stove pipe had gone through was still there. The house itself was a bit of a wreck but it did have 4 fireplaces with poor drafts so we had to open the windows to clear the smoke - and doors which we could close - once we got them open first. Bathing meant we had to go to the swimming pool in Stornoway, 7 miles away. The boys were 7 and 5. It was a pretty bleak Christmas. But we managed. Never did put a bathroom in, or a proper hot water system. We built a new house instead. We made sure that everything was in place and working before we moved into the new house. Can't imagine how we did it now.

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've had to live in building sites three times - twice without working kitchens for six months or more. I think back and wonder why on earth I was thinkinig to do something so daft when my daughter was just two years old the first time and 7 years old the second time! The first one I moved in to in a November and none of the windows fitted and no loft insulation so it was absolutely freezing. I had those dalek like calor gas heaters everywhere and the windows ran with condensation. Its amazing how quickly I forgot about the hardships and did it all over again - and then again many years later. The second time I managed to get the cooker fitted on Christmas Eve which was a relief as I had been having nightmares about having to BBQ the turkey.

LOL. Re-reading my post I realise I might have given the wrong impression - those houses were renovation projects which I bought to do up and sell - basically part of my master plan (after leaving the first Mr C) that took longer than unexpected a couple of times.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast (before we went shopping) was the last chaffle with some butter and marmite with tea and pills.
Lunch was some crowdie and cream with some more tea and water pills which I couldn't take before going out.
Dinner was 2 pork chops, pan fried in some chicken dripping. Very tasty. Made a little gravy to go with them of the pan juices and a little chicken stock. More tea and another pill. I thought I wouldn't be hungry after that, but I am. Not sure what to do about that.
A bit low on the fluids today so I'd better have some more tea or coffee to make up the volume. Might stop me feeling so hungry as well.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Heres my confessional of my abject failure of low carb diet,

Tomorrow will succeed.....

@aard We all have days where it goes wrong, what I do love about this post is your honesty. Gold Star for that.
And success tomorrow? Might just be less fruit, possibly avoiding the biscuit temptation. Or it could be a complete low carb day :)
Stick with it. We are cheering you on.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Chook Just now I am living in a building site- for the umpteenth time. I think eighth. Possibly the most difficult was the second one , when for several months we had no kitchen. While it was remodelled and renovated We cooked in what had been the garage, using a two ring camping gas cooker. With the only water supply a tap in the garden.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
09-01-2020
Bad start to the day with a bathroom call at approx 3.30am. Didn't manage to get back to sleep got up about 4.45am.
Tested about 7 15am. Pleased with a 5.8
Breakfast 2egg cheese omelette. One slice toast with peanut butter. 2x CWC.
Lunch. Superb seeded bread. Chicken and mayo, salad.
Worked outside, in the sunny late afternoon. Ofc this meant was late starting on dinner. We eventuality ate at 9.15. So may be rpurcussions in FBG tomorrow.
Dinner. Roast pork. Veggies were cooked way before the meat. Suffered from predation. potatoes. I had two. Turnip and celariac. Was officially served with carrots brocolli and the remaining roast veggies no potatoes this time. Teaspoon of Apple sauce. Same cheesecake as yesterday. Glass of Sav blanc.
Got to do washing up then off to bed.
The building continues upstairs. We have actual rooms marked out now.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

@DJC3 -- Glad the scan came up all clear. So very happy for you. Also great to hear your doc is so supportive of keto.
@aard and @jpscloud -- great to see you on this thread.
@Annb -- imho, your story takes the price. Can't imagine how cold and uncomfortable this must have been.

My story can't quite compete -- when I was about 13 or 14, my parents built a new house (or at least the lower story), we moved in when there was no plumbing yet. It was winter and when we wanted to have a bath, we had carry in the snow and melt it a huge pot on the stove to fill the bathtub.

Today's meals ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Lamb's lettuce with Caesar's dressing, shredded cheese and chicken cracklings. A bowl of lamb-vegetable soup.

Lunch: Nothing due to long day at work and not a moment's break.

Dinner: A pack of chicken cracklings on the way home. Later another 30g of chicken cracklings, half a DD keto roll with butter and bresaola, and a small piece of Sacher torte.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Sitting at my hair dresser after work, so I thought I would write about my food today :

Breakfast : a quarter of a wrap (egg , veggies and cheese ) , a quarter of a sausage, a piece of broccoli. With black coffee .

Morning snack : keto , sugar free , carb free ***** bears .

Lunch : 3-4 pieces of tofu , one spoon of yogurt . Was not filling and hated it. Yuk !

Afternoon snack : half a glass of hot chocolate ! Yummy .

Dinner : if the hair dresser finishes on time , will take myself out on the same street . Might get prawns or stake and salad .

Today it rained so I wore my red rain boots that make me feel hyper active, happy and daring so let’s hope it does not lead to eating unhealthy food .

Thanks to red boots , I came up with a very good solid idea at work . So I deserve a nice (aka unhealthy ) dinner maybe ??

Edited typo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy days! Scan was all clear so I have another 6 months of living it up. Yeeha!
Lunch at 5Guys ( I kept expecting you to walk in @Goonergal even though it’s not your side of town!) bacon cheeseburger with mushrooms.
Had a couple of coffees and teas with milk while out - we had 4 hrs to kill before the clinic appt in the afternoon.
I asked the doc what her views were on a ketogenic diet for cancer prevention - she became very animated and enthusiastic, YES! She said absolutely! Then she talked about it for several minutes and said she had reviewed the evidence herself and was also on keto. She has also been in contact with Jason Fung and spoke highly of him. She was very impressed about my diabetes results. I came floating out of there on cloud nine. A double whammy this time.
@Chook on a more distressing note I saw that story about the dog too and reacted the same way you did. Horrible.

Excellent news DJC3. And now,......... breathe.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 10/01/2020
Breakfast: 45g rolled oats, 41g blackberries, 16g protein peanut butter, 100g greek yoghurt full fat, cinnamon.

Lunch: 59g sprouted bread, 75g paneer cheese, 149g tomato, 33g classic hummus, 47g pepper berry sauerkraut, 41g dill pickles.

Dinner: Another portion of the same stir fry from yesterday, and two boiled eggs.

Snack: Three of the coffee's today had 60ml of whole milk split between them.

Stomach is feeling better the probiotic that I have started taking must be doing something, the increase of fibre is doing something good as well so feeling much better. I have a nice balance of insolule and soluble fibre in my current eating range, going to introduce red lentils and more chickpeas in the coming weeks, as I ate falafels and red lentil curry before without problems.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

@Annb -- imho, your story takes the price. Can't imagine how cold and uncomfortable this must have been.

My story can't quite compete -- when I was about 13 or 14, my parents built a new house (or at least the lower story), we moved in when there was no plumbing yet. It was winter and when we wanted to have a bath, we had carry in the snow and melt it a huge pot on the stove to fill the bathtub.

At least we had water inside the house, and a top floor. We were young then, and much more flexible. It was the lack of a toilet seat that got me. Seemed so mean. We had a good few laughs about it all.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Great news! And great to get a doctor who understands and appreciates your choice of lifestyle.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was actually really good, 1.5 slices was 91 grams. It's a very dense loaf I have to slice it myself. khorasan wheat has a GI of about 40, the sunflower seeds add some buffering fat, it's sprouted so that makes some of the anti-nutrients in the wheat go away mainly the phylates and the tannins. It's a sourdough so that would affect the GI even more and make it lower. I like dense bread, and it was really a very nice lunch especially with the lovely native pepper berry sauerkraut and hummus. Plus the 91g serving had 6.3g fiber and 10g protein just for the bread. Heck if $12 is the cost I have to pay to eat bread, have a nice lunch and enjoy life again then it's a price worth paying.
An American web site THM (Trim Healthy Mamas) are big on sprouted bread. They have a baking mix but regrettably it would cost a fortune to get it imported to the UK. I've been fiddling about with the ingredients I can get here to make a "pretend" THM baking mix for a while now but the sprouted wheat is pretty impossible to get. The last mix I did tasted fine but you still need raising agents to get it to work. You might have more chance in Australia of getting the THM mix if you want to try baking your own.

Reactions: Quinn1066

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday bed 5.8 FBG 5.9. @ziggy_w the buffalo chicken was delicious. It would have been better in the marinade overnight so next time. @Chook - I even enjoyed the cabbage since, like you, I've steered clear of it since "cabbagegate". I "only" bought 2 dozen eggs and I still have 10 left. I have to say DD is a lot more flexible now. Most of the things we pleaded for are incorporated in the web site now. I think we had this under a different thread - something like the diet doctor 2 week challenge.
@DJC3 - so happy for your results and an enthusiastic GP. I know with my family how nerve racking the run up to the tests are. @DCUKMod says - now breathe!
B. TAG with ADOC and 2 scrambled eggs with added parsley.
L. Had a few almonds and 1 fine milled oatcake with Dairylea as I felt a bit off.
D. Today's DD delight is a keto butter burger. Quite spicy with jalapeno and filling with avocado, lettuce, tomato and I added some cucumber but substituted emmental slices for the cheddar. I did have a few raspberries and blackberries later.

It won't let me post the photo for some reason but here's the link.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-butter-burgers