What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I just couldnt do that...I would have to round up on the mince and would have the 200g steak. It clearly is very tricky on so many levels. So that makes you a saint and me a sinner.:angelic:
No saint and you are definitely not a sinner. It was a really good idea to have given this a try and find the pitfalls before a full attempt. I know there are 2 members doing the DD weight loss plan - they sometimes say they are full and can't eat all the food - for quantity not taste. I am staggered by that but we are all different.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 5.5 for me Having my coffee black this morning in an attempt to wean myself off cream.
@Krystyna23040 good luck for your eye appointment today and commiserations for also being a Wednesdays child. I feel a sense of solidarity that you were also annoyed by it as a child!
@gennepher another lovely painting, it looks familiar, The sort of lovely tranquil place I like to walk a dog. Hugs for the fbg though, to you and @PenguinMum.
@jjraak thanks for the informative video, nice concise explanation of dp.
@HarryBeau hope you get the tax return done, I hated the substitutions - stopped online shopping for groceries completely now as it always seemed to be the 1essential item which was substituted by something totally unsuitable.
@ianpspurs sorry but not surprised by your reaction to DD plan. The strange little quantities are only because you’ve scaled down a recipe designed for 4 or 6 people. It would happen with any recipe if you did that. The DD ones are very forgiving though, you really don’t need to be that accurate with them, asking a butcher for 113 gm mince is quite amusing though - why not just say 1/4lb? You can always leave things out or tweak to suit your taste. I follow their plans often and really like them, they are so simple. I usually do as they suggest and make double the dinner quantities and use it for lunch next day so I’m only cooking once a day. Never mind though, you gave it your best shot and now you’ve proved to yourself you don’t like it, you can move on to something that suits you better.

Reactions: HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just relax and enjoy the peanut butter, your A1c is fine. No saint but I think the 1/4 avo etc points to using lots of frozen food as weights are crazy and not amenable to standard uk portions. Bog standard Waitrose sirloin is 200 gms. What use is the extra 56 gms? Butchers went apoplectic when I asked for 113 gms mince and 144 gms sirloin. More chance of working if Julie's advice for diverticulitis wasn't to avoid fat as much as possible and whack in the fibre.

them avo's hard to keep once cut..do they freeze ok ?

do hear you about portion/sizes...:wideyed:

i doubt ANY of that would satiate me, unless i ate all the meals at once.
and in the afternoon moved on to the next days..which would leave a day or two of fasting at the end..:bigtears::***:

But well done for giving it a good go.
be curious to see how it pans our for you at end.

good luck..

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs sorry but not surprised by your reaction to DD plan. The strange little quantities are only because you’ve scaled down a recipe designed for 4 or 6 people. It would happen with any recipe if you did that. The DD ones are very forgiving though, you really don’t need to be that accurate with them, asking a butcher for 113 gm mince is quite amusing though - why not just say 1/4lb? You can always leave things out or tweak to suit your taste. I follow their plans often and really like them, they are so simple. I usually do as they suggest and make double the dinner quantities and use it for lunch next day so I’m only cooking once a day. Never mind though, you gave it your best shot and now you’ve proved to yourself you don’t like it, you can move on to something that suits you better.
@DJC3 we know each other quite well, virtually, and I know you are friendly so I post in friendship as I know you do. I didn't scale down the recipes. They sent me a personalised plan that I paid for. I really don't want yesterday's food for lunch the next day - never really done that or liked it ( 2 very different meals and purposes IMHO). Not so sure about simple - IF/no breakfast/OMAD is far easier. Putting on the oven for breakfast - especially such small amounts seems very inefficient but probably ok if batch cooking. We did several chicken thighs yesterday but if I'm honest they are likely to disappear into fridge/freezer and never be used - no problem if we had dogs. 1/4 lb - wouldn't I/he get arrested for that?:angelic: Not giving up just aware of the issues and retrying later in the year. The keto and cancer link is obviously of massive interest and importance to me (and you) so I want this to work as well as possible. @jjraak you can buy frozen avos which are smaller and at least come in 1/2s. I have never tried freezing ordinary ones and Julie really dislikes avos

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskiaKC and DJC3

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They put the Queen in an impossible position and I suspect they wont be both satisfied with their new lives either. All that travel goes against everything they preach, not to mention the financing. I think this story will roll on for a long time.
Sadly I think you're right PM as for the financial figures being bandied about it doesn't sound real and with so much bad news world wide you'd think that would take precedence.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
spotted this posted by another on here.
link

made good sense to me.

Time linked to play from relevant part re DP.

anyone able to tell me HOW to timelink like this..?
@OldButBold , maybe...:D;)

It's pretty easy...

1. Play the Youtube vid to the point you want timelinked
2. Pause
3. Right click on the timeline at the pause point
4. follow options

:)

edit - nearly forgot. You can also use this https://youtubetime.com/

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 we know each other quite well, virtually, and I know you are friendly so I post in friendship as I know you do. I didn't scale down the recipes. They sent me a personalised plan that I paid for. I really don't want yesterdays food for lunch the next day - never really done that or liked it. Not so sure about simple - IF/no breakfast/OMAD is far easier. Putting on the oven for breakfast - especially such small amounts seems very inefficient but probably ok if batch cooking. We did several chicken thighs yesterday but if I'm honest they are likely to disappear into fridge/freezer and never be used - no problem if we had dogs. 1/4 lb - wouldn't I/he get arrested for that?:angelic: Not giving up just aware of the issues and retrying later in the year. The keto and cancer link is obviously of massive interest and importance to me (and you) so I want this to work as well as possible. @jjraak you can buy frozen avos which are smaller and at least come in 1/2s. I have never tried freezing ordinary ones and Julie really dislikes avos
Have you got any links to the Keto and cancer link? Whenever I googled best cancer diet to prevent/maintain remission I only ever found the Eatwell and its US equivalent.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You had me at "Copious amounts of alcohol"..where do i sign up..:D

been working on it..
hows this sound..
(slow old blues stylee...john lee hooker, muddy waters, et all)

"Woke up this morning.
Bg's in my head..

left the kit in the kitchen,
so i slipped out of bed...

cos i'm a pricker, yeah yeah yeah yeah
cos i'm a a pricker, doo doo doo doo
(Sax right here..bass drum beat )

make it to the kitchen
checked out the meter

stabbed my finger
didn't hurt none either

cos i'm a pricker, yeah yeah yeah yeah
cos i'm a a pricker, doo doo doo doo
(Sax right here..bass drum beat )

the blood it flowed
my meter posed

i gave a cry
.....it's 5.5...(more sax here..)

cos i'm a pricker..etc "

:D
Blues is good, I see a slow blues in the key of E so Chords for anyone wishing to join in will be E, A7 diminished, B7
BUT @jjraak I have to INSIST I do the music, can't have any of this SAX here and Drum beat interference if we are going to do this. Anyway a Clarinet would be much better than a SAX.
Of course we could do a Jazz/Blues in the key of Dm that would be Chords Dm, A7 and a Jazzy Bflat. Along the lines of the wonderful 'St James Infirmary Blues'

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you got any links to the Keto and cancer link? Whenever I googled best cancer diet to prevent/maintain remission I only ever found the Eatwell and its US equivalent.
I have read it before and @DJC3's doc/consultant said it was both the best woe from her reading of research and that she had switched to this woe. Hope I am not posting out of turn @DJC3 (Have PMd you to warn and apologise x 2)
Links
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6375425/
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326043.php#1
https://www.cancertherapyadvisor.co...genic-diet-as-an-adjunct-to-cancer-treatment/
As an add on re Meghan and Harry this is close to the mark IMHO. UK electorate due to FTTP, are claimed to want the Royals but also to be racist, homophobic, intolerant et als to judge by how they can be persuaded to vote. Those choices have a cost and this is part of it. Cake and eat it bill part 1. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...han-harry-dire-royal-circus-duchess-of-sussex

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskiaKC

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quote from the NHS "Eatwell Guide" online at 14.1.2020.

"Base meals on potatoes, bread, rice, pasta or other starchy carbohydrates.
Starchy food should make up just over a third of the food we eat. Choose higher fibre wholegrain varieties, such as wholewheat pasta and brown rice, or simply leave skins on potatoes.
There are also higher fibre versions of white bread and pasta.
Starchy foods are a good source of energy and the main source of a range of nutrients in our diet".

My elderly mother, high BG, refuses to listen to my advice ref. LCHF. She refers to the "Eatwell advice".

A previous health campaign had a slogan "Don't die of ignorance". Seems very apt in our T2D context.

Last edited:
Reactions: gennepher

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 we know each other quite well, virtually, and I know you are friendly so I post in friendship as I know you do. I didn't scale down the recipes. They sent me a personalised plan that I paid for. I really don't want yesterday's food for lunch the next day - never really done that or liked it ( 2 very different meals and purposes IMHO). Not so sure about simple - IF/no breakfast/OMAD is far easier. Putting on the oven for breakfast - especially such small amounts seems very inefficient but probably ok if batch cooking. We did several chicken thighs yesterday but if I'm honest they are likely to disappear into fridge/freezer and never be used - no problem if we had dogs. 1/4 lb - wouldn't I/he get arrested for that?:angelic: Not giving up just aware of the issues and retrying later in the year. The keto and cancer link is obviously of massive interest and importance to me (and you) so I want this to work as well as possible. @jjraak you can buy frozen avos which are smaller and at least come in 1/2s. I have never tried freezing ordinary ones and Julie really dislikes avos

Ah! Yes I understand your frustration with it a bit better now. They’ve obviously just scaled down before sending it to you and haven’t thought about it becoming completely impractical. I don’t know what your personalised plan was, I’ve not seen that advertised ( and I do pay an annual membership) there are good meal plans for free though and if you look through the week you can remove particular meals and substitute ones that suit you better. I wouldn’t put the oven on for breakfast either.
Agree re the cancer link - not sure if I posted here or on the food thread but the oncologist I saw last week was completely in favour of it for cancer prevention having researched it and the scientific papers herself, so much so that she is ‘doing’ keto too. That’s good enough for me, but I’m lucky that on the whole I enjoy the food.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read it before and @DJC3 's at last appt doc/consultant said it was both the best woe from her reading of research and that she had switched to this woe. Hope I am not posting out of turn @DJC3 (Have PMd you to warn and apologise x 2)
Links
https://www.cancertherapyadvisor.co...genic-diet-as-an-adjunct-to-cancer-treatment/
As an add on re Meghan and Harry this is close to the mark IMHO. UK electorate due to FTTP, are claimed to want the Royals but also to be racist, homophobic, intolerant et als to judge by how they can be persuaded to vote. Those choices have a cost and this is part of it. Cake and eat it bill part 1. https://www.theguardian.com/comment...han-harry-dire-royal-circus-duchess-of-sussex

No you’re not posting out of turn - I just replied to your first post though without seeing this, sorry.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah! Yes I understand your frustration with it a bit better now. They’ve obviously just scaled down before sending it to you and haven’t thought about it becoming completely impractical. That’s good enough for me, but I’m lucky that on the whole I enjoy the food.
I came to the same conclusion re scaling without thinking , after reading your first post today. I also enjoy much of the food but the weird amounts caused by the scaling was creating problems around here. The food fairy is not a Sunday's child like me and sometimes also needs gently reminding she's not in Bermondsey now. I make allowances but ....:angelic:

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read it before and @DJC3 doc/consultant said it was both the best woe from her reading of research and that she had switched to this woe. Hope I am not posting out of turn @DJC3 (Have PMd you to warn and apologise x 2)
Links
Thanks for the links and it is very interesting. I did read @DJC3 post last week about her oncologist being on board

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Forgot to post 5.5 this morning. Snap @PenguinMum
Mr C has just taken a reluctant Dennis out in the horrible weather for his afternoon constitutional. We found our old dog’s little Barbour jacket and it fits D perfectly. Once we’d managed to get it on him he seemed quite happy and trotted off outside all proud. Tilly used to do the same, you could tell she felt really stylish wearing it. Lol
So good to see you @johnpol but I can well understand your anxiety about Friday. Will you be awake throughout or is it done under general anaesthetic ? I hope all goes well, will be rooting for you.
Another wonderful painting @gennepher, hope your roof stays intact and the wind calms down both inside and outside your cosy nest.
@SaskiaKC the monk+cat video was really funny.
Glad to hear you’re feeling a bit better now @dogslife , long may it continue.
I'm not being given General Anaesthetic at all, as my Consultant doesn't have a Anaesthetist so face being paralysed it is, doesn't help with the nerves at all.:):)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blues is good, I see a slow blues in the key of E so Chords for anyone wishing to join in will be E, A7 diminished, B7
BUT @jjraak I have to INSIST I do the music, can't have any of this SAX here and Drum beat interference if we are going to do this. Anyway a Clarinet would be much better than a SAX.
Of course we could do a Jazz/Blues in the key of Dm that would be Chords Dm, A7 and a Jazzy Bflat. Along the lines of the wonderful 'St James Infirmary Blues'

You do KNOW I haven't a Scoobies what ANY of THAT means, once you get past.. 'BLUES is Good.... ". Right.. :woot:

Think I should just stick to my old tambourine..:sorry:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read it before and @DJC3 doc/consultant said it was both the best woe from her reading of research and that she had switched to this woe. Hope I am not posting out of turn @DJC3 (Have PMd you to warn and apologise x 2)
Links
Re Harry and Meghan I am not denying any of those views being the cause of Cake and Eat it. I like everyone else dont know the extent of their mental health issues but I cant help feeling that running away isnt the answer. Its not like they are going to live in obscurity so I cant see them being left alone anywhere. They could keep on just running away to find solutions. But hey what do I know!

Reactions: DJC3

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
a very belated good morning, busy trying to get the works yard sorted as we have been told we have the possibility of a tidal surge so all hands on deck to sort (the last one flooded the yard with the loss of 32 cars) so busy, busy. a 9.2 greeted me this AM, stress is a good way of raising the old levels.

Take care everyone, and stay safe in this bit of weather we are having. Really, stay safe.

Reactions: dunelm and trick60

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.5 this morning. I've thought long and hard about this, and the only reason I can think of for this number is that today is Tuesday and I am Monday's child.
So I will put a "fair face" on this rainy day.
@jjraak I liked what you posted about Thursday's child going far in life, rather than the idea of having a long way to go just to catch up. I would like to think that "Monday's child is fair of face" might mean being fair in their outlook on life and their view of others (I just now thought of that as I recalled what you posted about Thursday's child's long and successful life).
That kind of "fair" would be a lot for a Monday's (or any) child to live up to!