What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In our culinary adventures this trip, we are going for our usual adventurous choices and sometimes random eating patterns. The other day we were hungry during the afternoon and decided to have a very rare snack, somewhere we hadn't eaten before. MrB had the Thai Jerky with Chilli Dipping Sauce, and I had grilled pork neck with a chilli, lime and garlic dip. Both were stunning.

The lady who served us in this particular place spoke really excellent English, which is very unusual in these parts, having been married to a Brit (who has since passed away, apparently), so we're looking to learn quite a bit from her in terms of all manner of "stuff".

This is the basis of the Thai Jerky (although not the recipe used - we'll work up to that!). It's very, very doable, I'd say, and I'll likely use the dehydrator for the drying part, then spray with oil and AF for the ending.

http://thaicookingschool.org/thai-bbq-classes/pork-one-sun/

The pork neck was probable a bit like this: http://www.followmefoodie.com/2014/...ork-shoulder-with-spicy-dipping-sauce-recipe/

Some of the flavours here are just outstanding, and for sure, I will be cooking with more ginger (which we both love) when home again.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goonergal - it's worth checking your pot is defaulting to high pressure, not the lower setting if you feel it needs much longer? Being away from home, I can't check out the button sequence or light configure to check it, but either someone here or on the FB page will have the information at their fingertips. (Or Dr Google, or YouTube of course).

Glad you got the tenderness at least though.

It is defaulting to high - the ‘high pressure’ light is the one that comes on! Now that I’m getting used to it, it shouldn’t be a problem as I can just factor the timing into when I set it off.

Reactions: Chook

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was a two meal day. Brunch was three grilled rashers topped with two fried eggs. Supper was small amount of chilli ;(smaller than usual as No 2 son turned up)with cauliflower rice. I did have a few slices of Milano salami with a glass of wine beforehand.
Today is a day of options depending on whether No 2 son comes back for dinner. Mr PM and I will have brunch before he goes to the football. If I am dining alone tonight I might have some stirfried veg, if son turns up I will roast some chicken breasts with roasties and veg for him, just veg for me. I verymuch lke the COYO strawberry yogurt which is made with coconut milk and 6.6g carbs for the 125g pot. I will try not to buy more than two a week and slot them in on “light” days. They didnt affect me as badly as 10 cal jelly oddly.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
hello everyone it has been a while posting on here and have missed so many posts. so will try and read up when I can. but I hope everyone is doing well. just giving you an update of my T2D and Ulcerative colitis after so many months of feeling unwell with my UC the other day I stopped taking Junuvia tablets as I read that it can cause diarrhoea so I stopped it for three days the first day for dinner made tomato soup with lentils. woke up feeling okay and no diarrhoea good sign I was feeling hungry for a change and felt like eggs with bacon so scrambled two eggs and cooked some bacon with tomato for breakfast and it didn't make me unwell. I also been drinking coconut water for dehydration and added a few drops of oregano oil. the next day for dinner I had a grill rump steak with mustard and made a cabbage salad with carrots and small tomato with a lemon garlic dressing. I was able to eat it it but was very bloated an hour later. but next morning I didn't have the trots another good sign but very tired still and had a good sleep in breakfast I combined 3 eggs with some cream cheese and vanilla and made pancakes with some butter I only ate one as was very filling. throughout the day I could only stomach some fruit and cheese for the rest of the day. dinner was cheese and crackers as well. today I slept in again Insomnia I don't sleep till very late and then I end up sleeping in. the next day. but today decided to start back on januvia as my BSL is between 5.6 and 7 in the mornings. breakfast this morning was left over pancakes with some butter and a bit of maple syrup. dinner I made chicken kebabs made with breast chicken and a side of coleslaw. I have not experience any diarrhoea so I am not sure if stopping januvia had helped but I am back on it as of today and I am having no diarrhoea so to me this is a good sign and happy I am able to eat some foods so hopefully this will continue. I have no idea if stopping januvia for 3 days helped some how but hopefully things start to settle down and I can continue to go back to eating Low carb again.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Storm has cleared here - even some blue sky for a few minutes. Hope everyone else has survived it OK.

Unintended OMAD today - decided mid-morning that kippers bought yesterday wouldn’t be needed so stored in freezer and awaited dinner.

Said dinner was slow-cooked lamb shoulder with a topping made of fat left over from yesterday’s dinner mixed with garlic, rosemary and zest of lemon and lime. Pretty delicious. Pic below - may have gone back for an extra slice for seconds :D

5D9C8EB2-7EA1-4C86-BFE5-29C124FC9B16.jpeg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my. Do you only have plates I instantly fall in love with?

Hands off! I got this (and another one the same) for next to nothing on the street market near where I live. Over time I’ve also found 2 different sizes of bowl with the same pattern in other places. The larger bowls are no longer used as they were what I used to serve my pasta in :hilarious:

Reactions: Quinn1066 and Chook

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hands off! I got this (and another one the same) for next to nothing on the street market near where I live. Over time I’ve also found 2 different sizes of bowl with the same pattern in other places. The larger bowls are no longer used as they were what I used to serve my pasta in :hilarious:
You tempt me to barter one of my plates for one of your bowls!

86876490_10219851650756029_1500879087546138624_o.jpg

Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can have one of the bowls, but it won’t be coming with pasta :D
I prefer not to eat pasta, so happy with that! Want one of the plates in return? Left is traditional Dutch 'Boerenbont' instantly recognised by every Dutchie, middle is a cute breakfast plate, right is English and comes from my great-grandmother I believe. But I have 4 of them, plus a small soup terrine, and 3 should be enough to make sure I don't break them all :)

And on topic: Had an Atkins low carb wrap (4.5gr I think) with fried black pudding and bacon for lunch. Will be posting a pic of my evening meal tomorrow, as Ive been craving a 'kroket' for 4 days now and gave in, so todays meal is for another thread I fear.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday 11/02/2020 weird day
Breakfast: 4 white coffee 100ml milk between, 50g roled oats, 63g fresh bluebeerries, 23g peanut butter, 125g fat free natural yoghurt

Snack: 11.00 AM white coffee

Lunch: 1.00 AM, 112g cucumber, 137g tomato, 65g tuna from can, 52g sprouted bread, 39g Camembert cheese, mustard

Dinner: 6.45AM, 30g Camembert white getting ingredients from store, they had samples.. 70g baby spinach, 2 white corn tortilla and "steak pie filling" made by my parents. It had gravox instant gravy powder, canned cherry tomatoes, peas, green string beans, carrot, rump steak chopped up, and usually fora bif batch a tablespoon on white flour/cornstarch to thicken. I had a small serve, I would say a very scant cup measurement, mixed with the spinach and dunked the tortillas. Not much meat throughout. I would judge I had about 100g of rump steak in the serving.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer not to eat pasta, so happy with that! Want one of the plates in return? Left is traditional Dutch 'Boerenbont' instantly recognised by every Dutchie, middle is a cute breakfast plate, right is English and comes from my great-grandmother I believe

The breakfast one, please. It is cute! And also getting back on topic, just rounded off dinner with a Teaolat with cream. Perfect.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
72E2BAFC-908B-45A0-933D-03CAA70D5795.jpeg
F341CA96-47D0-4A50-A0FE-98BAAD68B43C.jpeg
41B13437-D326-4C9A-B840-93963D75D1CC.jpeg

Bewdley where I live was taken by surprise last night with a storm Dennis flash flood on top of the predicted normal river rise so environment agency were having to work waist high in flood water to try and sort out our flood barriers - difficult times and a very fierce River Severn. Some properties got flooded for first time in 20 years as, in past, floods have been more predictable but this was sudden. Environment agency had predicted peak for Tuesday but got it wrong - mind you it all seems a bit unpredictable at the moment and I’m pleased I live up the valley a bit! I sometimes curse the climb up back home from the shops in Bewdley but not today!
@SlimLizzy hope your ferry crossing goes well.
@Antje77 good luck with your plate and bowl negotiations with @Goonergal but I can’t see her giving up her plates easily! Even without pasta!

Breakfast one sausage, bacon,egg and half a toasted chaffle
Dinner a few LC seeded crackers with glass of Rioja then broccoli with venison casserole and pudding LC raspberry pudding with yoghurt. About to have some decaf coffee and lacto free milk.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening everyone. 2 mistakes today I think. Tea with almond milk ( hardcore IF would have no milk - can't do that - at least yet) then 2 poached eggs on 1 slice Hovis low(er) carb bread. for breakfast. Breakfast was mistake No 1 - just makes me feel hungry and bread sub optimal - should have just cut losses and thrown it away. Rearranging bedrooms - moving beds, cupboards, boxes, exercise bikes etc as I made a mistake with where my exercise equipment went on moving day (haven't put weight machine together thank goodness). Some cheesies and a slice of cheese after that - follows the breakfast mistake. Mistake No 2 - watching Dr D Unwin talk on Can we beat T2 Diabetes? HOPE on the horizon - thoroughly despondent that I can't. Evening was first try of new oven. No 1 Pork crackling rack roasted in oven while broccoli and cauliflower were steamed in said oven. Nothing wrong with the food and I know I'm blessed to be able to eat such food. Just that the results of this never match the promises held out by Unwin and co. Its the hope that kills. innit?

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening everyone. 2 mistakes today I think. Tea with almond milk then 23 poached eggs on 1 slice Hovis low(er) carb bread. for breakfast. Breakfast was mistake No 1 - just makes me feel hungry. Rearranging bedrooms as I made a mistake with where my exercise equipment went on moving day. Some cheesies and a slice of cheese after that - follows the breakfast mistake. Mistake No 2 - watching Dr D Unwin talk on Can we beat T2 Diabetes? HOPE on the horizon - thoroughly despondent that I can't. Evening was first try of new oven. No 1 Pork crackling rack roasted in oven while broccoli and cauliflower were steamed in said oven. Nothing wrong with the food and I know I'm blessed to be able to eat such food. Just that the aim of this never matches the promises held out by Unwin and co. its the hope that kills. innit?
I need a photo of your 23 poached eggs all stacked upon one slice of toast!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cheese cubes with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and Wildings crackling followed by LC chocolate brownie with cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon raspberry phd bar with black coffee.
Dinner (not at the ILs this week so no Jaffa cake :wideyed:, hubby getting over flu and didn’t want to spread his bugs :wacky:): roast chicken, one small roast potato, cauliflower and broccoli and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cheese cubes with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and Wildings crackling followed by LC chocolate brownie with cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon raspberry phd bar with black coffee.
Dinner (not at the ILs this week so no Jaffa cake :wideyed:, hubby getting over flu and didn’t want to spread his bugs :wacky:): roast chicken, one small roast potato, cauliflower and broccoli and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Hug for you missing out on your weekly Jaffa cake!