What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the subject of air fryers/gadgets, in one of my carni Facebook groups someone has posted about the interchangeability of accessories between the IP 6L and the large Ninja airfryer. Pics shamelessly pinched.

View attachment 38822 View attachment 38823

I have a glass lid I use when making yoghurt, but it is the lid for one of our sauté pans. It fits perfectly.

Some of these appliances are so similarly it's untrue, although this pair are a surprise, in terms of the interchangeability.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Todays good was my usual breakfast of LL toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch was two slices of nice ham, cheesey coleslaw with more grated cheese, cucumber. Supper will be cod loin baked with med veg in a little tom sauce.
May be a gin or two beforehand. Happy days.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vampire visit accomplished this morning and then another OMAD day - ended up being a 26.5 hour fast aided by a long walk, which always distracts from hunger.

Dinner was oxtail - didn’t quite hit the spot as not very meaty. Supplemented with a piece of cheese and then some hastily thrown together moo grob. Skipped the drying stage so not quite as crisp as usual but pretty tasty and a bit more moist. Perfectly sized small pork belly strips from M&S. May yet need something else.

B8D86A25-98EC-495B-97AB-B8F897AFDC73.jpeg
3C2CCD8A-B619-4B6E-A598-7B62DF5AF479.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast scrambled eggs on half a toasted chaffle
Lunch chicken and veg soup - made enough yesterday for three days, so one last portion in fridge for tomorrow
Pre dinner gin and soda with with one lc seeded cracker and a couple of walnuts
Dinner chicken curry with cauliflower rice.
Later will have - prob after another gin and soda! - lc lemon mousse with yoghurt and decaff coffee.
Bridge still not open to traffic here but water going down - think bets are being hedged because of rainfall in wales.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday 22/02/2020
Breakfast: 50g rolled oats, 250ml unsweetened almond milk to cook in plus a tad bit of water, 72g fresh blueberries, 151g full fat yoghurt. 125ml whole milk in coffee.

Snack: two more coffee in the day with 50ml skim milk, and a double shot of espresso at 1.15 PM

Lunch: 2 white corn tortilla, 125g tomato, 125g cucumber, 17g cheese, 10g butter, mustard, 100g ham, for olives with pits.

Dinner: 3 egg one egg white omelette, 180g broccoli, 0.5tsp olive oil.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's that? I want it.

It’s inspired by @DCUKMod who posted this recipe last year: https://rachelcooksthai.com/crispy-pork/

Mine is just pork belly strips boiled for 15 minutes. Usually I then wrap in foil, but leave the rind exposed and put in the fridge overnight. Then score the rind, salt, cut into little pieces and pop in the air fryer (a high temperature in the oven would work week too). They’re quite delicious!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was after a 14hr 30min fast and was a fry-up at the local pub. Gave my husband half the hash brown. I did have some baked beans and a slice of toast, along with the sausage, fried egg and bacon. I had the toast and half hash brown, as I wanted to see what my bg reading would be. They were 5.3 upon waking and 7.2 after an hour of eating and 6.2 after 2 hours, so not bad really.

Lunch was a small bowl of homemade sweet potato soup with carrots and coconut milk, plus garlic, paprika, ginger and a veg stock cube. This makes enough for a good four or five servings. My bg before was 6.2 and 5.9 two hours after, so again, not bad.

Tea was green salad with two small baby plum tomatoes with Feta cheese cubes and a very nice thin cut beef sirloin steak. Didn’t take my bg beforehand, as I forgot (!), but as it was low carb, expect it will be okay.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s inspired by @DCUKMod who posted this recipe last year: https://rachelcooksthai.com/crispy-pork/

Mine is just pork belly strips boiled for 15 minutes. Usually I then wrap in foil, but leave the rind exposed and put in the fridge overnight. Then score the rind, salt, cut into little pieces and pop in the air fryer (a high temperature in the oven would work week too). They’re quite delicious!
Now there's a recipe that I like. Combining your information and the information from the recipe, I'm getting this:
1. Cook pork belly strips anywhere between 15 minutes and an hour.
2. Either score rind now and apply either salt or salt and vinegar, or do it after step 3.
3. Put overnight in fridge, wrapped but with rind exposed. OR put in oven on very low heat for an hour. OR leave to dry in the sun for at least 3 hours. (Not trying that one unless I want to have very happy dogs and cats and a vegetarian meal.)
(4. do the scoring thing if you've skipped step 2.)
5. Either deep fry for about 5 minutes, pop in airfryer or put in a hot oven.

That looks like the perfect recipe, seems no matter what I do it will turn out yummie!

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now there's a recipe that I like. Combining your information and the information from the recipe, I'm getting this:
1. Cook pork belly strips anywhere between 15 minutes and an hour.
2. Either score rind now and apply either salt or salt and vinegar, or do it after step 3.
3. Put overnight in fridge, wrapped but with rind exposed. OR put in oven on very low heat for an hour. OR leave to dry in the sun for at least 3 hours. (Not trying that one unless I want to have very happy dogs and cats and a vegetarian meal.)
(4. do the scoring thing if you've skipped step 2.)
5. Either deep fry for about 5 minutes, pop in airfryer or in a hot oven.

That looks like the perfect recipe, seems no matter what I do it will turn out yummie!

That’s pretty much what I figured when I made it last week ( or the week before) lots of variation allowed and it’ll still be great. @Goonergal it does look good.
@Antje77 have you emptied the ashtray and done the washing up yet?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 have you emptied the ashtray and done the washing up yet?
:wideyed:
I did both. And filled the ashtray again, and stupidly forgot to take the cutlery right in front of me to the kitchen so it's still there :sorry:. Most of the washing up that had accumulated in the kitchen is gone though :)

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2x black coffee this morning, ate lunch around 2pm

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-tuna-cheese-melt
IMG_1973.jpg

Pretty good, a bit more faff than @Rachox ‘s tuna melt muffins but I made a couple extra Oopsie bread for a sandwich later in the week. @maglil55 you made Oopsie bread recently I remember, I used to make it a lot and had forgotten how useful it is.
D: Fillet steak ( always cheering to send Mr C to the butcher, he never shows restraint and always gets large ones) garlic butter, wilted spinach, fried mushrooms and onions. Glass of Shiraz ( will be 1/2 bottle by the end of the evening)
@shelley262 fingers crossed for water levels continuing to drop.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nibbled about 30 gms Twiska Gouda and 20 gms chorizo around 3.20 . Mackerel and avocado salad with chia seeds and flaxseeds then Chocologic Belgian chocolate as meal. Tea with almond milk and a CWC at home. Removing too big for garden shrubs and trees most of the day. No 1 son did the ones with really big root systems but I took out an elder tree roots and all before he got here. Happy with that and new mattock + mutt.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2x black coffee this morning, ate lunch around 2pm

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-tuna-cheese-melt
View attachment 38841

Pretty good, a bit more faff than @Rachox ‘s tuna melt muffins but I made a couple extra Oopsie bread for a sandwich later in the week. @maglil55 you made Oopsie bread recently I remember, I used to make it a lot and had forgotten how useful it is.
D: Fillet steak ( always cheering to send Mr C to the butcher, he never shows restraint and always gets large ones) garlic butter, wilted spinach, fried mushrooms and onions. Glass of Shiraz ( will be 1/2 bottle by the end of the evening)
@shelley262 fingers crossed for water levels continuing to drop.
Must make oopsie bread again not done for at least a year. I’ve got stuck on chaffle production which, interestingly have very similar ingredients to the oopsie bread just missing the almond flour. Think need to give them a try this week. Do they freeze well? I cant remember if I froze them. I batch cook chaffles - 14 at a session - cool and then freeze in container with a bit of kitchen towel separating them and they toast really well. OH likes them warmed up with sf maple syrup and cream and I’m planning to warm some for pancake day on Tuesday.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cheesy scrambled eggs with cherry tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt and a mix of LC chocolate and keto coconut granolas.
Mid afternoon: coffee with cream in a pub having got very cold walking along the banks of the swollen flooded river.
Dinner: Chinese takeaway, crispy duck, two small pancakes, a smidge of sauce, spring onions and cucumber followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

44959120-6654-4EC4-B5AD-3E4BF9BB7CCE.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Must make oopsie bread again not done for at least a year. I’ve got stuck on chaffle production which, interestingly have very similar ingredients to the oopsie bread just missing the almond flour. Think need to give them a try this week. Do they freeze well? I cant remember if I froze them. I batch cook chaffles - 14 at a session - cool and then freeze in container with a bit of kitchen towel separating them and they toast really well. OH likes them warmed up with sf maple syrup and cream and I’m planning to warm some for pancake day on Tuesday.

Yes the Oopsie bread freezes Its been a while since I made them too, probably because I don’t have a dishwasher here so the extra step of beating egg whites in a separate bowl means more washing up and I’m quite lazy! I was also thinking of Chaffles for pancake day, I miss the old pancake day excess!

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes the Oopsie bread freezes Its been a while since I made them too, probably because I don’t have a dishwasher here so the extra step of beating egg whites in a separate bowl means more washing up and I’m quite lazy! I was also thinking of Chaffles for pancake day, I miss the old pancake day excess!
Thank you @DJC3 im planning OMAD on Tuesday so can have a couple of chaffles for pudding!! May make some keto lemon curd to go with them if get time!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Got rid of 3 different kind of leftovers today, all because I had no idea what I wanted to eat, didn't feel like cooking and postponed until it was late enough to need it to be a quick meal :).
Cooked a small handful of snow peas (not a leftover) and added it to the leftover veg. shoarma/onion/bell pepper mix (in which was included an older leftover bit of slowly fried onions).
Fried two mushrooms and some 'zuurkoolspek' (salted and cooked porkbelly) that had been sitting in my fridge for days, and added it to the rest.
Decided it wasn't enough so I made a one egg paper-thin cheesy crust omelet to wrap the resulting mess and served with the very last bit of cabbage/cucumber salad.

87423135_10219908596219630_5233102481180852224_o.jpg

edit: Look, the cutlery has been moved to the kitchen!