What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Today was usual breakfast of LL toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch was soup followed by small amount ofham & cheesey coleslaw.
Supper was omelette with only one chopped tomato and very little grated cheese.
Some salted peanuts after which may not be wise for the FBG.

D

Deleted member 308541

Best wishes for the blood tests. Your numbers and graphs always show you know how to deal with your T2 so I have no doubts it will go well. Very striking photo.
Thanks @ianpspurs, my average three monthly bgl have been running around the 5.7 mmol/l mark so hopefully I will still be in the mid 30 mmol/mol area with the hba1c test.

Not many people at the pathology shop first up, only three or four of us were wearing face masks, The staff all were wearing them, and there was a lot of hand sanitiser dispensers as you went into the waiting area.

Dunno what the white bit in the pix is, shoulda chopped it out... :meh:

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thought I would post in this thread, as most of the people I know are here. I had rolled oats again for breakfast, with yoghurt and blueberries. A salad with sardines for lunch, and I plan to have eggs and green beans for dinner. But things are becoming too much. My knees hurt, my stomach is playing up constantly, and eating is becoming a challenge, along with the simplest of daily tasks. Heck I can't even take blood glucose measurements anymore, as the circulation to my fingers is non existent. I will keep my account here, I will be back when I am in proper health. I have met many great people here, especially some of the Aussies and peeps from England. Hugs to everyone.I have the support of my family, and a mental health team, I am safe and not planning to do anything, it's just posting about food is re-inforcng the bad thoughts.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought I would post in this thread, as most of the people I know are here. I had rolled oats again for breakfast, with yoghurt and blueberries. A salad with sardines for lunch, and I plan to have eggs and green beans for dinner. But things are becoming too much. My knees hurt, my stomach is playing up constantly, and eating is becoming a challenge, along with the simplest of daily tasks. Heck I can't even take blood glucose measurements anymore, as the circulation to my fingers is non existent. I will keep my account here, I will be back when I am in proper health. I have met many great people here, especially some of the Aussies and peeps from England. Hugs to everyone.I have the support of my family, and a mental health team, I am safe and not planning to do anything, it's just posting about food is re-inforcng the bad thoughts.

Certainly sounds like things are very difficult for you Quinn. Very pleased you’re getting the support you need and please do come back when you feel able.

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chicken Breast with skin from roast chicken. Cauliflower mash with Mascarpone, Butter, Parmesan and seasoning. Curried sauce with, coconut milk, Mascarpone and cream.

I get the impression I am enjoying this more than OH is :D

Supper: Mozzarella Tomato salad, Avocado, Slice of ham wrapped around Mascarpone and 3 slices of cured beef.

Be happy for someone to let me know if I have got this low carb thing wrong :)

Attachments

• 20200304_120142-min.jpg
    20200304_120142-min.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 262
  • sup__1583346930_91.165.222.4.jpg
    sup__1583346930_91.165.222.4.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Woke up at 5 am with low FBG (2.8) but, oddly, feeling OK so I didn't realise it was so low. I was going to fast today (should have started the fast yesterday - 19 days sunrise to sunset - but didn't because of going to the dietician) but starting with such a low BG wasn't on. I am actually considered too old to be fasting, and I wouldn't be expected to anyway, but I do want to do it, if I can. I had to have 2 digestive biscuits to bring BG up to a reasonable level and I realise that, if I'm going to keep my fluid levels reasonable, I'll have to drink during the day. So I had my cup of tea and the first pill of the day. Should have some lunch about now, but I think I can do without, but don't see me making it to sunset.

I have some chicken-NOT-pie in the freezer so I'll get that out; might spice it up and have it with cauliflower rice. I find that cauli rice is too wet used directly so I usually dry it in the oven for a while - gives it a better flavour as well as drying it off.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Failed Fell short x 2 today menu wise. Not strictly IF and not fasting for Ember day. I don’t need to drop any more weight and The Almighty didn’t decree I fast on Ember days so we’ll just keep it strictly entre nous. Breakfast/brunch: 2 x 700 mls Tea 1x AM + sweetener 1 AM + dash cream; CWC + SF caramel syrup : :arghh: aftertaste so ordered Monin - cheaper ends up costing more again; Very hungry by 2.45 so 2 small bags pork scratchings (<0.2 gms carb total); Eve: Will be shoulder of lamb:); cauli + broc cheese and tenderstem broc + Heston’s finishing jus (2.6 gms carb for my half). Mint sauce but finally some meat I am ok with. Meat was gorgeous jus made this as I want- if bg ok a real breakthrough :) On a scale of 1-10 I was a 25 on the IanP hunger scale though. @Ann B 19 day fast - is that the variant that includes a prayer schedule as well? Not wanting to intrude but that would be a proper task even sunrise to sunset. Take care.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not wanting to intrude but that would be a proper task even sunrise to sunset. Take care.

Not exactly a schedule but devotional time and meditation time. That's not hard but the food part is the bit that I seem to be unable to handle. Being diabetic, I am not expected to take part in the fasting aspect and being over 70 I am told it is not advised. Just awkward - that's me! I want to. Sadly, BG dropped again and I had to have another 2 digestives mid afternoon. Shan't have a meal until after sunset though. It's my, flawed, attempt at keeping the fast anyway.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Quinn1066 take care - thinking of you and we are here whenever you feel ready to come back to this thread- hugs heading your way.
Peak on River Severn now on reverse and going down very slowly - let’s hope this continues!
Nearly lost my temper today at a local carers group when we were told several times to look after our health by sticking to the eatwell plate! Graphic of the high carb low fat plate was held up for veneration by a very ‘big middle’ group leader! Interestingly at the same time she said we needed treats as carers so she had brought along biscuits and boxes of chocolates for us to share and give ourselves a few treats alongside the eatwell plate! So many in group are type two who are struggling.
Busy day so OMAD
Dinner lamb chop, halloumi fries, sprouts and mushrooms fried in avocado oil and butter and a couple of cooked cherry tomatoes with glass of dry red wine followed by lc lemon and lime mousse with yoghurt and cream.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Quinn1066
I will miss your posts.

last few days have been repeats of bone broth and bovril for breakfast, sometimes with a lc hot choc.
Then lunch of prawns or cheese or nothing.
Then evening meals of the pea pasta bake (mainly chicken) or cheesy mince.

i have also had goatsmilk yog and 70% choc - and one small Costa hot choc, with cream, on a dog walk that had zero bg impact. :)

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Three egg cheese omelette (out of mushrooms), bacon, snags, spudlite.
Lunch: Cold meat and salad Mission low carb wraps.
Dinner: Steak and veggies, pan juice gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, water.

Just done our online shopping for the fortnight, there does not seem to be any food shortage except for cherry tomatoes. We have not had any from out at the block for a while either.

They have sold out of toilet paper though... :meh:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee x few this morning.
H/b eggs, smoked cheese, pastrami and dill pickle for lunch followed by 30g bar Montezumas
Dinner was a glorious beef rib I bought at the weekend and forgot to freeze. Cauliflower cheese. Lc hot chocolate just now.
@Quinn1066 you’ll be missed, I’m glad you have caring people around you and hope you come back soon.
@shelley262 fingers crossed the water levels continue to fall. How did you keep your mouth shut at your Carer’s meeting? I always wish I’d said something at this sort of occasion but I’m never sure I can strike the right balance and not come across as ‘Angry of Uxbridge’

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: birthday cake phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: Gammon steak with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Quinn1066 take care - thinking of you and we are here whenever you feel ready to come back to this thread- hugs heading your way.
Peak on River Severn now on reverse and going down very slowly - let’s hope this continues!
Nearly lost my temper today at a local carers group when we were told several times to look after our health by sticking to the eatwell plate! Graphic of the high carb low fat plate was held up for veneration by a very ‘big middle’ group leader! Interestingly at the same time she said we needed treats as carers so she had brought along biscuits and boxes of chocolates for us to share and give ourselves a few treats alongside the eatwell plate! So many in group are type two who are struggling.
Busy day so OMAD
Dinner lamb chop, halloumi fries, sprouts and mushrooms fried in avocado oil and butter and a couple of cooked cherry tomatoes with glass of dry red wine followed by lc lemon and lime mousse with yoghurt and cream.

I've heard that one, about carers needing to be good to themselves. It is kindly meant, but often the self-caring is not what is needed. Even a whole box of chocolates wouldn't have taken away the stress and anxiety when I was nursing my husband - even if I could have eaten them. I probably did the wrong thing and I quite deliberately ignored my own needs - that made me feel better somehow (suffering alongside him?). Foolish. But the Eatwell plate! Are people really flogging that one still? Even our dietician, who doesn't believe in low carbing, gave me a booklet with carbohydrate levels of food in for me to check with.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: birthday cake phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: Gammon steak with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola

Just added gammon steak to my next shopping list - you've reminded me how much I enjoy it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not exactly a schedule but devotional time and meditation time. That's not hard but the food part is the bit that I seem to be unable to handle. Being diabetic, I am not expected to take part in the fasting aspect and being over 70 I am told it is not advised. Just awkward - that's me! I want to. Sadly, BG dropped again and I had to have another 2 digestives mid afternoon. Shan't have a meal until after sunset though. It's my, flawed, attempt at keeping the fast anyway.

I did make it to sunset (and beyond) but I was ravenous. Had quite a large portion (for me) of the chicken and cauli rice. Chicken dish contained peas and carrots which should have put my BG up, but even now, after 4 hours, it hasn't gone beyond the 2 point rise of 11/2 hours. Hasn't fallen again either. Must watch tonight and check when I wake up around 3 or 4 am (I pretty well always wake up about then but don't usually check).

Edited for typo and incomplete sentence.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Quinn1066 -- So sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. Hope you will find a way that works for you. We will miss you.
@Tipetoo -- Keeping fingers crossed for your blood test, but I am sure you will be doing great, no luck needed.
@Annb -- Hugs for the hypos, especially while meeting with the dietician.
@KathyFrance -- Your meals look perfect and, if I may mention it, absolutely delicious.
@shelley262 -- Glad to read the water levels are falling. Hope there won't be any more rain during the next few days. Also admire your staying calm during the presentation of the eatwell plate.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Missed posting yesterday, so here it goes ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Explore Cuisine mung bean-edamame fettuccine with pesto alla Genovese and sea bass. Half an avocado.

Dinner: Out for a glass of dry red wine. Upon getting home, two halves of a DD keto roll with butter, a chicken-meat wiener.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Two half DD keto rolls with butter, about 50g of Manchego cheese. A tiny piece of Sacher torte.

Dinner: Half a ribeye steak and sauerkraut with cream and caraway seed. Dry red wine. About 20g of 85% chocolate.