What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I am up all night like you!.
Am communicating with daughter in Oz who is telling me Australia is slowly shifting into action, trying to follow the right path, but being neutral of when to commit to lockdowns etc . Works talks in progress at mo there.
All okay.
Cat is training me for litter tray duty.
How's it with you?
How is daughter?
so sorry @gennepher ..went back to sleep.

GOOD lets hope they make a good fist of it.
don't think you CAN be too slow out of the box regards this.
the better responses have been those who went early and tested heavily.
Misinformation and malaise are the killer

Singapore had the best message from govt re this by far for me.

Singapore 243 ..no deaths..quite near china, so much better then expected, i would say

Here is his latest update..calm, measured, believable.
Listen, believe & act or keep calm and carry on?
Sorry Boris...HE gets MY vote, everytime.

https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/pm-lee-to-address-nation-on-covid-19-situation-at-8pm

Last edited:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

4.6 today

we did a run to the shops this morning to pick up a couple of things for mum. Never seen the shop shelves so empty. A friend of ours who works part time in one of the local shops says they can't keep up with things and people are buying the weirdest stuff, probably stuff they wouldn't dream of touching with a 10 foot barge pole most of the time :banghead: :hilarious:

On the other hand Lidl had only shelves of empty cartons where the multi packs of crisps and the biscuits used to be ;)

Stay safe and I hope your day is treating you kindly :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think one can be much more precise than "the generations" - May 3 1979 - but I am well aware of my bias. To be fair, unlike this guy, she at least had basic competence which is a minimum expectation. Other people will have their own dates for the day we all went to hell in a handcart which is as it should be. Your next post was brilliant. Top, top man.

in France: Big supermarkets such as Carrefour and Intermarche have decided this week to open their doors half an hour earlier in the morning and let in only customers over 70 (on showing of their ID cards) during that time, thereby allowing those people potentially more at risk to shop, away from the crowds (and possibly away from younger people elbowing them to get to pasta and toilet paper more quickly!).

My first Google of May 3 1979 resulted in one NFL draft of an Ohio State player and one MLB player hitting his 300th home run. Just a reminder how big the world is and how wide the oceans.
So then I searched May 3 1979 UK and learned who "she" was.

As for Carrefour and Intermarche, what a wonderful thing for them to do, I only hope French elders are morning people unlike so many of my neighbors who consider a 9:45 am shopping trip too early to get on the bus. :) I guess decades of having to get up early to go to work (or fix family breakfasts) left many retirees feeling they deserve a lie-in every morning but Sunday.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning @SaskiaKC that was a strange dream but hey what a great FBG. I have been helping my friend with personal care and encouraging her to start the physio exercises. She had a bad night of pain and all I could do was encourage deep steady breathing with her until it came down a bit. I am no nurse but the first few days after surgery can be very difficult to get the pain relief schedule work. She is being so brave and all going well we know by the end of this week she should be in a better place.
Mr & Mrs Fuzz had a companionable morning in the sunshine after a romantic breakfast. Bobs decided to sunbathe on the top step which is the Fuzzes feeding station and even has the cheek to drink from their water bowl. Such a minx! Hope your day continues to go well.

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes, Just a cold i suppose @PenguinMum , but called 111, told to self isolate..makes sense in the current climate.

as a pointer to one or two of the issues.

the flatmates mum also over during week,
and had tea etc with the girls.
flatmate has elderly granddad, she and her mother tend to his needs.. as carers, lets just say he has issues with them.
now the mum is freaking out whether she can visit him, or should stay away..

it all just seems a roll of the dice, that could, i say could..
have tragic consequences, that will echo if worst comes to worst..
that nagging doubt is was you who passed it on, will haunt many, io fear.

lauren is contemplating getting steph back with us, but hampered by me, sadly.
so for now we are hoping it's just a cold, and counting days to friday and the weekend,
when it could , by most accounts IF, highly likely it's not.. be Covid, turn nasty.
But i do stress we are treating it as overly overly cautious but still just a cold.
Stephs fine, work are fine..so all good.

Done a food run for laurens dad, fit but still elderly, thought wouldn't like that description
he was my valentines date if you remember..:D

anyway, she gets foods, i pick her up in car, she calls him, explains (pre steph) to explain we got food, going to leave it outside, so he only has to come out to get once we leave..Plan A.

anyhow, we went Plan B..much better apparently because plan A was a quaint nickname for certain part of a gentleman anatomy, so he said.

We got there , he was at pavement waiting for us, as i pooped out of car to do the handover, all business and secret spy stuff,
lauren concerned re working all week, meeting many who may have passed on symptoms
i was nominated ...i get out of car, say hi, pop hands up as he goes for the old handshake,
so we bump elbows cool guys style..lol...

THEN he hugs me..:rolleyes:............do i ..:hilarious: or :arghh:..who can tell.

the old F*** em spirit, as per norm..( that's going to be hard to change in many at risk.)

air kisses to Lauren as we get ready to drive away, with his eyes rolling at the drama..:rolleyes:

damned if ya don't...and ridiculed if you do..not sure which is worse.:***:

so yeah, all good, thank you for asking.
has your friend arrived now, do wish her well from me.
you are such a good friend, sure she's knows she's lucky to have you..

Thank you to you and FIL for making me laugh, I needed that. :D
I have been wondering whether to try a Namaste thanks to the Hindu lady who bags my groceries sometimes at the store ... now might be a good time to try without giving offense.
I hope Lauren's cold is just that, a cold. :)
I trust you actually only popped out of the car ... :D

Reactions: Ryhia and HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning @SaskiaKC that was a strange dream but hey what a great FBG. I have been helping my friend with personal care and encouraging her to start the physio exercises. She had a bad night of pain and all I could do was encourage deep steady breathing with her until it came down a bit. I am no nurse but the first few days after surgery can be very difficult to get the pain relief schedule work. She is being so brave and all going well we know by the end of this week she should be in a better place.
Mr & Mrs Fuzz had a companionable morning in the sunshine after a romantic breakfast. Bobs decided to sunbathe on the top step which is the Fuzzes feeding station and even has the cheek to drink from their water bowl. Such a minx! Hope your day continues to go well.

I hope the week will go by quickly for your friend and you ... the end of the week can seem so far away on a Monday. :( I hope they have given her something really effective for the pain. I remember one time when my mother was in the hospital the nurse told me that once the pain has kicked in it can take longer for any pain meds to take effect. :(
Very gentle (and thankfully virtual) hugs to you both.

I enjoyed reading about Mr and Mrs Fuzz. How sweet! I wonder if they are starting a family?
I also enjoyed reading about Bobs -- how catlike! ^. .^

I am planning a quiet indoor day, hopefully the clouds will bring rain and I won't feel tempted to go out. I went out for a walk yesterday evening but it was chillier out than I'd expected and I didn't want to get a chill, so I came back in. The pollen might give me sniffles and a scratchy throat anyway and then I'd be terrified! :wideyed:
But it was nice to see that the trees outside my window turned green overnight, all pale and fuzzy. Spring has definitely sprung!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you to you and FIL for making me laugh, I needed that. :D
I have been wondering whether to try a Namaste thanks to the Hindu lady who bags my groceries sometimes at the store ... now might be a good time to try without giving offense.
I hope Lauren's cold is just that, a cold. :)
I trust you actually only popped out of the car ... :D

I would say GO For IT..smile and explain its all new to you, hope you haven't offended.
makes people more friendly, may even break the ice most days..
Yet to meet anyone that didn't respond well to anyone trying a greeting or
use of a persons practices or own language, no matter how mangled..
( :bag:..so i'm told, as i try and Lauren looks on in horror).

Am liking the hand over heart, when greeting.
lots of Arabic customers over the years seem to use it, and seems most friendly.
might even really suit itself to the American psyche.

the elbow..meh...not so cool and real awkward looking for most.

and the start trek Vulcan?.....can't seem to do that without
A. looking like a t***
B. spending far too long looking at and getting my fingers to do it properly..:rolleyes:

But DO
Live long and prosper
@Saskia.

love from the Uk x
stay well
stay safe.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If we're being honest it is just dishonest and purely to throw red meat to their base in order to maintain a spurious narrative.

Just one more example of people who can afford to pay for a membership getting the lion's share of supplies that other people could use but can't afford the membership fees.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure if this falls within coronavirus greeting guidelines but it made me happy to see ...

90091586_901359226988214_8406039163425521664_n.jpg

Reactions: Ryhia and ianpspurs

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't been brave enough to read it yet, just wanted to say Good Job with your emoji! :)

it is simply a paper by a govt department PHE as a briefing for senior NHS officials

it basically says that the current thinking that the epidemic/pandemic will be here until next year at least.

All the rest is out there on the web, so not much new, just the news part of it,
is the fact the govt seems to be acknowledging

But for those, and i DO get it,who don't want to hear such

Maybe don't read further.

but for others, who like to see where we are heading and make appropriate provision for family etc
it is a valuable tool.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs bravo to the French supermarkets. I think its high time ours starting being more proactive in their communities.
agree.

did see something that sainsuries i think were considering doing this here.
the main gripe was twirlies, might have to get up early to do it...;)
(so called because when they get on buses (time restricted free passes) the response is" too early love" )

iceland.stores
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51906744

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One for you @SaskiaKC
Horse related..no crowds at racing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/51907903

shame it's all so late after allowing cheltenham festival attracting infecting thousands..
while other sports (football :watching: *** not known for it public spirited thinking)
being much more socially responsible :rolleyes:

Aviation in crisis.
airlines and associated industries at serious risk,
as Virgin appeal to the government

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51904769

PSA factories close .
ellesmere port..breaking news
volkswagen shutting down in germany

am i wrong in thinking jail time would be a nice idea but misplaced.
Working in a hospital as a cleaner so he can see how scummy the low lifes actions really are.
might just learn what basic goodness and humanity really means..doubt it, but i can hope.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51909045

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Coronavirus: How to Protect Your Mental Health"

Very helpful article on WHO's recommendations:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51873799

Including this advice:

Limit the news and be careful what you read
Reading lots of news about coronavirus has led to panic attacks for Nick, a father-of-two from Kent, who lives with anxiety.

"When I'm feeling anxious my thoughts can spiral out of control and I start thinking about catastrophic outcomes," he says. Nick is worried about his parents and other older people he knows.

"Usually when I suffer I can walk away from a situation. This is out of my control," he says.

Having long periods away from news websites and social media has helped him to manage his anxiety. He has also found support helplines, run by mental health charities such as AnxietyUK, useful.

• Limit the amount of time you spend reading or watching things which aren't making you feel better. Perhaps decide on a specific time to check in with the news
  • There is a lot of misinformation swirling around - stay informed by sticking to trusted sources of information such as government and NHS websites

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just one more example of people who can afford to pay for a membership getting the lion's share of supplies that other people could use but can't afford the membership fees.
Saskia the membership fee is just £30 per year & most of the people who shop there do so for the savings it will,bring them those with large families on a budget it's not elitist in any sense of the word.