What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had exactly the same among my friends @jjraak

I have warned them for long enough...a couple of months actually.

Now they haven't a clue what bombshell has just got them.
Just got a text from one, she lives 40 miles away. And she (and her husband) has steadfastly refused to learn computers and get on the internet. So now, by text (she is not even on WhatsApp which would make stuff easier), she wants me to to send her details of where pensioners shopping hours are. I don't know her local area for shop things on that. Trying to download a Google docs PDF which would give me the coronavirus group in her area, but I think it is Facebook only. I am going to tell her to update her very basic mobile so she can get Facebook and whatsapp, and any pleas that she can't do it will fall on deaf ears literally....
If it helps all Tesco sTores other than Tesco Express are opening 9 till 10 am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday's for OAP shopping and limiting all items to 3 and removing multi buy. A bit late in my opinion but they say that empty shelves can be replenished. Mrs MC and I will put it to the test next Wednesday.

More scary is we had a power cut, we never have power cuts and it only lasted 30 minutes, is this a result of demand, lack of maintenance personnel or just coincidence? Must order more Kiln Dried wood.

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got my replacement small cooker this morning, and a spare kettle. My current one keeps turning off as it is heating up. That wee lottery win yesterday was useful... very.

On the food front, just about nil in the shops as regards goods on shelves. Frozen food appears stocked. But not the shelves.i went looking for three packets of butter. There was only one packet in the chiller.(I just went out like a light, fell asleep writing this, a good job this saves draft messages!). No more butter left anywhere. No useful tinned food for me. Sweets and chocolates were in abundance, so I decided if these were going to be my last days, I was going to enjoy the bags of chocolate mis shapes!!! And got two dark bounty's. Got cough sweets (no I don't have a cough but people were hacking around me). Had my skull bandana up over my nose and a black snood over that. The snood didn't drop down so I didn't frighten anyone...sigh.

I got spare leads for my tablet devices.

What else? Not much else. Only junk food was left on the shelves like noodles. No use to me. Oh I know I got some microfibre cloths to dry my hands on, my cotton towels stay too wet with the amount of hand washing I do.

And filled the fuel tank.

I just had a WhatsApp message from another friend saying there was nothing to buy in the shops...I had been warning her for weeks as well. And she insisted the shops would always remain fully stocked...

I need a cuppa and a nap now, then try and help my non internet friend again...

Oh boy, more panicked WhatsApp messages at the top of my screen...

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, but not the selfish panic buyers.

A gentle 5.5 for me and me's this Morening.

Being late on parade today has given me a chance to glance at all the posts, but not fully digest, some are far to high in carbs!
Well " having read the news today O boy about etc " well you all know lyrics and it appears not confined to Lancashire.

Mrs J has written a shopping list cyanide and strychnine are at the top of the list. Hmmmm lock down must be taking effect.

Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it helps all Tesco sTores other than Tesco Express are opening 9 till 10 am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday's for OAP shopping and limiting all items to 3 and removing multi buy. A bit late in my opinion but they say that empty shelves can be replenished. Mrs MC and I will put it to the test next Wednesday.

More scary is we had a power cut, we never have power cuts and it only lasted 30 minutes, is this a result of demand, lack of maintenance personnel or just coincidence? Must order more Kiln Dried wood.

Thanks @Muddy Cyclist I will pass that on to my friend. I know she has a Tesco near her.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, everyone. 7.2 this morning, and the view from my window is this:

20200319_090334.jpg

Although whether it's a view of just the morning, or of the future ...

Anyway, it reminded me of Carl Sandburg's poem "The Fog."

The fog comes
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.

That's the way he wrote it.
I wonder if he ever actually had a cat.
This is my version:

The fog comes
on little cat feet.

It bounds up
onto the bed
on top of you
meows in your ear
until you get up
and feed it.

It is nice, though, to be reminded that, like the fog, the future moves on, leaving cities and harbors clear.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

4.7 today

out this morning to get a bit of shopping (we needed milk), some local cafe's are closed but some supplies have reappeared albeit in small quantities so that's a bit better :)

hope your day is treating you well :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 this morning, although why I'm worrying about FBG during this crisis is beyond me. Maybe it's because it is something I can, to an extent, control?

Today I'm remotely setting up Zoom for a group of people, I know we have teachers on here and I don't know if you're aware that free software exists that allows classes to be held online. I'll put a link below although it seems they have become very popular overnight. Alternatives are Google, Skype both of whom offer a limited free service. Zoom lets you conference up to 100 people for free which is enough for most people.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2020/03/9561576/zoom-online-meetings-classes-coronavirus

Stay safe :)

What a wonderful service you are providing those people! Thank you for doing that for them. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
However, he is not a murderer or anti democratic as per Putin etc and neither he nor this crisis will last forever. The big question, IMHO, seems to be what we do next to avoid ever being in this mess again. W

I copied it because it bears repeating. Thank you for posting it.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
People are posting about wanting our "leaders" to do something.
I think these leaders are wishing they themselves had someone to tell them what to do.
"Blind leading the blind" sound familiar?

I just checked one of my local websites that purported to recommend ways to help the most vulnerable. The homeless, the elderly, animals in shelters.
For each group, there were a couple of paragraphs reiterating what everyone already knows: these groups are vulnerable and need our help.
These paragraphs were followed by statements that, since these groups are vulnerable, we should stay away from them to avoid infecting them. What we should do is send them hand sanitizer.
There was no recommendation as to where we could expect to actually buy this hand sanitizer, or how to get it to these vulnerable groups, since we're not supposed to go near them for fear of infecting them.
Never mind infecting ourselves.

The one helpful suggestion was to adopt or foster a shelter animal. "You're stuck at home anyway, why not have a furry playmate?"
I wonder if all the vulnerable shut-ins, the elderly and homeless staying in shelters, are expected to adopt/foster an animal, and, if so, what agency plans to get the animal to them, help them walk it or clean its litter box, and make sure they get food for it, seeing as how, being shut in, they can't get to the stores themselves.

I really think it is a case of the blind leading the blind, and it's interesting that -- unlike during other plagues hundreds of years ago -- none of our "leaders" are calling on us to pray for deliverance.

But then, they're not calling on us to sacrifice virgins either. And thank goodness they're not rounding up all the vulnerable elderly who keep cats!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't understand how opening National Trust properties free is good news, especially as farther along in the same article is the reminder to avoid public spaces.
I would worry that these properties would be taken over by the homeless population who will overrun them with tent cities, and by drug dealers (who aren't known for socially distancing themselves from their customers), and after a few days Boris will be able to send in his ministers with poop scoops and collection bags for samples for his Cabinet.