What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t get excited that I’ve caved in.... I just wanted to share some photos of what government are sending out as their box of food to feed you for a week if you are classified as vulnerable. These are photos of contents of box just sent out. I know it’s difficult you may be starving and it’s food but can’t help but feel that eating it would make you even more vulnerable!
View attachment 39790 View attachment 39791 View attachment 39792

Not even sure that what's in the box you showed would constitute a healthy normal diet. I've eaten some carbs recently - just an experiment and it makes my BG go crazy these days. I suppose they have to take what the supermarket will give them. Pity there are no fresh veg other than potatoes. Better than starving, I suppose. I suppose.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: salted caramel Phd bar with a black coffee.
Late lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by raspberries with cream, coconut chia pudding and berry and almond paleo granola.
Dinner: roast lamb breast, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Missing my weekly Jaffa cake today! :(
Thought about you missing your Jaffa cake today!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not even sure that what's in the box you showed would constitute a healthy normal diet. I've eaten some carbs recently - just an experiment and it makes my BG go crazy these days. I suppose they have to take what the supermarket will give them. Pity there are no fresh veg other than potatoes. Better than starving, I suppose. I suppose.
Agree why not cauliflower and or broccoli rather than fruit? Should be more protein and fat in there it’s heavy on fruit and carbs especially.........

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@ianpspurs Is Julie okay? #worried

I am definitely eligible for the 'how many times have you stared in the fridge ' club - this evening i even ate chocolate (I am not a great fan of chocolate and have no idea how long it has been in the freezer) but it tasted okay.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55
D

Deleted member 308541

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs Is Julie okay? #worried

I am definitely eligible for the 'how many times have you stared in the fridge ' club - this evening i even ate chocolate (I am not a great fan of chocolate and have no idea how long it has been in the freezer) but it tasted okay.
Julie just seems very sleepy at the moment. Quite hard to keep much of an eye on her via video link. She ate and drank - I can operate the toaster and kettle.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Julie just seems very sleepy at the moment. Quite hard to keep much of an eye on her via video link. She ate and drank - I can operate the toaster and kettle.

I'm thinking of you both - virtual hugs and lots of positive wishes to both of you x

Reactions: maglil55

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Today had two of the failed biscuits for breakfast, even dipped in coffee they still taste dry. Then three slices of halloumi fried in butter. Seemed very salty to me.
Two more low carb biscuits with my morning coffee. Can't be eating these for a week.
Lunch. I made Low Carb bread rolls and had two with pâté. Salad of artichokes and olives with red pesto dressing. Was going to add sun dried tomatoes, but they were a most unappetizing colour and two years out of date, so binned them. You can tell we are at the end of the storecupboard.
Dinner. Chicken, bacon and leek casserole. Added a can of mushrooms and served it with roast potatoes for MrSlim and celariac for me. Glass of Mouton Cadet 2010. Disappointing, gone a bit over. Looks wonderful but a bit acidic. Few months more would have been undrinkable. Several cups of tea, nearly out of milk.
No plumber needed, 're bathroom stench, the pack of activator seems to have done the trick. Made mental note to apply monthly. MrSlim has been reconstructing the huge, heavy armoire he dismantled and painted yesterday. While I have been pottering, doing a bit here and there. More experimental cooking last two days than for a long while. That is after I helped him carry all the pieces upstairs.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today had two of the failed biscuits for breakfast, even dipped in coffee they still taste dry. Then three slices of halloumi fried in butter. Seemed very salty to me.
Two more low carb biscuits with my morning coffee. Can't be eating these for a week.
Lunch. I made Low Carb bread rolls and had two with pâté. Salad of artichokes and olives with red pesto dressing. Was going to add sun dried tomatoes, but they were a most unappetizing colour and two years out of date, so binned them. You can tell we are at the end of the storecupboard.
Dinner. Chicken, bacon and leek casserole. Added a can of mushrooms and served it with roast potatoes for MrSlim and celariac for me. Glass of Mouton Cadet 2010. Disappointing, gone a bit over. Looks wonderful but a bit acidic. Few months more would have been undrinkable. Several cups of tea, nearly out of milk.
No plumber needed, 're bathroom stench, the pack of activator seems to have done the trick. Made mental note to apply monthly. MrSlim has been reconstructing the huge, heavy armoire he dismantled and painted yesterday. While I have been pottering, doing a bit here and there. More experimental cooking last two days than for a long while. That is after I helped him carry all the pieces upstairs.
Fantastic news about the bathroom odour. Must be a big relief.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All
@ianpspurs best wishes to Julie, hope its short lived and isnt IT presume neither of you have been out in 2 weeks. @SlimLizzy hug for all the tribulations. @Annb hope you can get supply of food.
Yesterday I roasted a large chicken so leftovers for various meals to come. I am running out of green veg and hoping a farm shop can help, waiting to hear. Also bread till end of week only. Otherwise ok but checking on Sainsburys at least 10 times a day to find a slot to Click & Collect my trolley.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No food so far today - just tea. Had a phone call from the council social work department about my e-mail. The young woman on the phone thinks it's OK for Neil to go out and do my shopping for me. There is no way to get deliveries by the supermarkets here - slots are all booked for the foreseeable future apparently and they are not being particularly helpful. One item of information though - our local shop and Post Office are doing deliveries in the area so I can get in touch with them. Their range of items is limited, of course, and their prices are about double town prices, but better than nothing at all.

What I was surprised at was the advice to get Neil to go shopping every so often to make sure we have food in. I'm pretty sure that goes against government advice. The girl sort of confirmed that there are no cases of the coronavirus on the island, but since there is no testing, who knows? If I do have the virus, now easing off, he should be self isolating for himself for the next 2 weeks. If I don't, he could just bring it back to me - not that I am especially worried about that, but I'm sure that is the wrong advice.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Morning All
@ianpspurs best wishes to Julie, hope its short lived and isnt IT presume neither of you have been out in 2 weeks. @SlimLizzy hug for all the tribulations. @Annb hope you can get supply of food.
Yesterday I roasted a large chicken so leftovers for various meals to come. I am running out of green veg and hoping a farm shop can help, waiting to hear. Also bread till end of week only. Otherwise ok but checking on Sainsburys at least 10 times a day to find a slot to Click & Collect my trolley.

@PenguinMum - Try for a slot just after midnight (works for me). :):)

@Annb - Just a thought - does your Tesco do click & collect? One if my step daughters uses it and says it has minimal (if any) contact.

@ianpspurs - I hope Julie is feeling a bit better today and manages to keep hydrated and eat something if possible. Hugs to you both.

Breakfast: usual 3 egg omelette with carb free syrup (getting a bit bored with this)

Lunch: slice of cheese on Burgen toast

Dinner: cannellini beans, spinach and pesto (my favourite ultra quick hot meal)

Stay safe everyone x

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@PenguinMum - Try for a slot just after midnight (works for me). :):)

@Annb - Just a thought - does your Tesco do click & collect? One if my step daughters uses it and says it has minimal (if any) contact.

@ianpspurs - I hope Julie is feeling a bit better today and manages to keep hydrated and eat something if possible. Hugs to you both.

Breakfast: usual 3 egg omelette with carb free syrup (getting a bit bored with this)

Lunch: slice of cheese on Burgen toast

Dinner: cannellini beans, spinach and pesto (my favourite ultra quick hot meal)

Stay safe everyone x

Thanks for the thought @Chook - sadly, our nearest Click and Collect point is 40 miles away, on the other side of the Minch (a 21/2 hour ferry ride away, at a cost of about £20 per person, if the ferry was running, which it isn't for normal use). So, as a system, it doesn't work for us, I'm afraid.

I did eat something - RyVita with some Dairylea triangles. Probably not a very good idea but I didn't feel like doing much and it was easy. I do have a chicken breast from the freezer that I can do something with later on and still have the broccoli to use up.

Must stir myself and fold the dried washing. At least that will be one of the many jobs I keep telling myself I must do. If nothing else, I must make some headway into the task of sorting out my husband's books - the ones I will never read (Boatswain's Manual, West Coast Pilot, Almanacs and so on, as well as various nautical tables and a selection of sea-going fact and fiction). They don't do much for me, I'm afraid and they are just collecting dust on the bookshelves.

Edited to correct spelling of boatswain - can't think why I misspelled it earlier - "senior moment" no doubt.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. Tried to eat a little more today and learn to operate some of the new toys. Breakfast: TWAM+S; B+2 hrs: TWC+chunk cheddar; Dockey: CWC + SF caramel syrup; L:4 or 5 thin slices salami then 1 hr later TWAM : Aft: TWAM; Meal: Tinned Tuna and avocado salad with chia and flaxseeds; Stewed rhubarb - last of that - Greek yogurt - Fage, tea. Managed to run the steam clean programme on 1 cooker and cook Julie a cannelloni using that. I think I have worked out the hob so just the combi microwave to go. Take care of yourselves and your loved ones - as if you need a clown like me to tell you.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I hope Julie is feeling a bit better, if she is eating?

Cold today. The wind has been sucking all the heat out of the house. Bitter.
Fortunately, the mutts make excellent hot water bottles.

B: none
L: smoked mackerel with chilli
D: stew and a teensy blob of Mr B’s mash

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I hope Julie is feeling a bit better, if she is eating?

Cold today. The wind has been sucking all the heat out of the house. Bitter.
Fortunately, the mutts make excellent hot water bottles.

B: none
L: smoked mackerel with chilli
D: stew and a teensy blob of Mr B’s mash
Thanks for enquiring about ]Julie. Yes, she is eating - the menu is limited by my familiarity with new kitchen tools and layout but that has improved exponentially today. New toys kinda walk you though things on screen. No idea where most of the cookware is though beyond in a box underneath lots of other boxes neatly stacked for when the builder can return to work.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently being tortured by the aroma of Beef Rendang at the near final stages of the alchemy.

This is the recipe we use. We do the whole shebang, but to be fair Tom Yum paste can be used as a sub for most of the ingredients in the paste: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beefrendang_78767

Utilising the IP, it's much quicker, and the smell when the lid is opened is fab!

In other news, I don't do sweet, and rarely do any desserts at all, but I sort of want this. We have all the ingredients, s it may happen, although the danger is that by the time it has had it's cook, then over-nighter in the fridge, I'll have gone off the idea.

https://twosleevers.com/low-carb-cheesecake/