What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Lots to catch up on today - you’re a chatty bunch!

@Brunneria glad mutt 1 survived in tact.
@Chook hugs for the hands and the shock this morning. Last week we took a break during a long conference call, and as I returned to my laptop heard someone crashing about in the kitchen - somewhat worrying given I live alone - only to discover it was a colleague who had left their sound on!
@maglil55 and @DCUKMod lockdown is likely the only thing between me and the Lidl air fryer. Nearest Lidl is 25 mins walk away so in the absence of public transport it may have to wait.
@DJC3 leave Heather’s bottom alone!

On to today. Lunch was tuna mixed with cream cheese - am loving that as a mayo alternative. Prepped dinner before my afternoon walk. Ended up leaving the Thames Path in favour of backstreets as keeping 2 metre distance was getting stressful - perfectly possible, but taking too much concentration. Ended up finding some woodland I didn’t know existed and spotting a nesting swan. Wonderful to have beef short ribs ready and waiting on my return.

View attachment 40064View attachment 40065

Would you like me to buy one and shamelessly use keep it until I see you next?

Is there an Aldi closer? I bet they'll have it soon. In our locale the items just seem a few weeks apart.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The remains of the Dairy Milk bar has disappeared from the cupboard. Now, how could that have happened? I shouldn't have reminded myself that it was there. I keep telling myself that I don't like chocolate and I used to mean it, but then, Dairy Milk is more like a kind of candy than chocolate. I actually do like real, dark chocolate, the more bitter the better, and that's why I keep denying that I do and never buy it. Now there really isn't anything to hunt around the cupboards for. The cupboard isn't exactly bare but there's nothing there just to grab and eat on impulse.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you like me to buy one and shamelessly use keep it until I see you next?

Is there an Aldi closer? I bet they'll have it soon. In our locale the items just seem a few weeks apart.

That is very tempting! Aldi is about 200 metres closer LOL. I shall now give this some serious thought :D

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is very tempting! Aldi is about 200 metres closer LOL. I shall now give this some serious thought :D

Oh heck - No pressure on me then! I haven't seen this one in the emails, but they could be behind Lidl on this one.

I never flap too much if I miss something I want in Lidl, as Aldi might have it, and it'll be back around on another cycle,..................... usually!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and raspberries (as I didn’t have enough strawberries left) and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and salted caramel phd bar
Late Lunch: 2 x Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: sausages with mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and berry and almond paleo granola.

Edited to add the last few words as I clicked send too soon!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: recent discussions about trips to the fridge/eating during lockdown. Just seen this on Facebook - and hope my edit is sufficient to hide the ‘naughty’ word.

7626F905-5C69-466D-9526-B55C36CDA0B1.jpeg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ravenously hungry today. Very strange.
Large breakfast of egg and sausage (am sausaged out now!)
L: large steak
D: beef mince in red wine and herbs. Forgot the garlic! Won’t do that again. Lol.
s: strangely hungry again at 9pm, so had an emergency vanilla protein shake, which worked very well.

mainly watering/feeding bits of garden and watching Netflix today.
Back working tomorrow, which is good.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
A wee bit behind as, like @Goonergal, I had a bit of a relapse which I reckon was down to trying to do too much plus this gum issue. @ianpspurs - the gums have improved but still causing problems. Inflammation is going down but not pleasant. Dentist reckons my body has been so busy fighting off whatever was infecting me left the way clear for the gum flare up. Since it is subsiding, better to persevere rather than get antibiotic. @Goonergal - hope you are recovering again. I have a lot of posts to catch up on. @DJC3 - Happy belated birthday x Caught that on a brief scan. @Chook - how are you doing keeping Mr Chook inside?
Think my last post was Wednesday. Thursday bed 5.5 FBG 5.3.
B. TAG
L. Brought another "unknown" from the freezer which I hoped was soup. It was, but it was Scotch broth which is a bit carby. I felt so vile that I ate it which put my BGs to 9.2 at their worst but they came down quite quickly.
D. IP went into action to do beef olives with carrot, onion and chucked potatoes in for Hubby as well. I had the beef olive with mashed carrot.

Felt almost normal again at bedtime.
Do hope you feel better soon

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not even Heather’s haunches remain now - I’ve scoffed the whole 200g egg in 3 days. Good grief!
I think you should definitely not look a gift horse in the mouth and if Mr Maglil55 wants the airfryer/ rotisserie then strike while the iron’s hot!
I heard on this afternoon’s news about the Scottish CMO - more than embarrassing, I don’t see how she can survive this.
I hope you are finally seeing the back of this bug.
#Heather'sHadIt - Poor Heather!
I saw last night before going to bed that the CMO had eventually resigned. There really wasn't another option as she was on our TVs more than once a day telling us "Stay at Home". Story still isn't going away though.
Fear not, I shall not look the gift horse in the mouth (or should that be I shall?). Wonder if he'd go for an IP Mini as well? I'll be quite disappointed now if it doesn't come in next Monday. I have two Lidl's near me and not a lot of difference in distance so hopefully one of them will have it. It doesn't seem to be up and coming yet in Aldi yet although they do currently have a pizza oven to fit on your garden BBQ.
I did feel pretty much normal yesterday - no funny turns. Today still not 100% and oddly I got a stuffy nose again about 1 hr ago which is passing over. Think it must be the sinuses again. I just don't get it how it switches between being totally clear then stuffy. That's a month now I've been fighting this off.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
#Heather'sHadIt - Poor Heather!
I saw last night before going to bed that the CMO had eventually resigned. There really wasn't another option as she was on our TVs more than once a day telling us "Stay at Home". Story still isn't going away though.
Fear not, I shall not look the gift horse in the mouth (or should that be I shall?). Wonder if he'd go for an IP Mini as well? I'll be quite disappointed now if it doesn't come in next Monday. I have two Lidl's near me and not a lot of difference in distance so hopefully one of them will have it. It doesn't seem to be up and coming yet in Aldi yet although they do currently have a pizza oven to fit on your garden BBQ.
I did feel pretty much normal yesterday - no funny turns. Today still not 100% and oddly I got a stuffy nose again about 1 hr ago which is passing over. Think it must be the sinuses again. I just don't get it how it switches between being totally clear then stuffy. That's a month now I've been fighting this off.

I see that medics are admitting that the devillish covid19 doesn't necessarily go away quite as quickly as people might hope (eg Boris not getting over it yet) and that folk would feel very weary for a while afterwards. It's only to be expected, of course, that's normal with many viral infections. Don't expect too much, too quickly @maglil55 and do try to be a bit easy on yourself. Neil and I are both much better from our bout of whatever it was but both still having to clear our throats frequently and my nose keeps running. Obviously a lot still to clear away before we are back to normal.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On subject now - food. The brisket and the beef ribs were lovely and tender after the 4 hours I gave them. And the gravy, especially from the brisket, was divine. I'll have one of the ribs for my evening meal - they are huge! The rest I'll put away along with the brisket in its gravy. Probably get some of the frozen courgettes out to go with that and maybe add some salad.

Breakfast was leftover sausage plus some chorizo chopped up and put into an omelette. The vegetables last night were actually more tasty than the sausage, but that's the way with the sausages I seem to be able to get these days. Now that I have a bit of meat in hand, I will have another go at making my own.

Managed to get quite a few items of bedding into vacuum bags yesterday. I had to wait until more bags came from Amazon - many of the ones I bought locally (cheap shop) didn't hold the vacuum so they will just have to be used as containers but still taking up space. The ones that work will go into trunks in the loft meantime. Also waiting for an order of archive boxes from Amazon - I have oodles of paperwork that needs to be kept, but I need the filing space, so that stuff will go into archive boxes (wrapped in plastic to keep the damp out) and in the loft. I just hope the 10 archive boxes I've ordered will be enough.

My phone packed up last night (I was sitting beside it, waiting for my weekly call from my brother). When it didn't ring I decided to check. No dialling tone! But the internet was still working, so it had to be the phone itself. After much deliberation (waiting for Neil to wake up) I figured out that it could just be the answerphone playing up. That meant I had to work out how to take it out of the system - not difficult for most, but for me, it was a major exercise. Disconnected the answerphone and voila! a dialling tone. By that time it was far too late to make a phone call. I had already sent an e-mail to explain the problem, so that was allright.

Neil came through this morning and fixed the problem in about a minute! I'm afraid I felt a rather withering glance when I explained what I'd had to do to get the phone to work. I didn't look to see. I'm sure, as time goes on, that Neil thinks I'm getting dumber - and I think he ay be right.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I do wonder if the sore throat, inability to inflate my lungs fully and dry cough I had a week or two ago might have been a very mild bout of coronavirus - it lasted about a week then faded away. As I'm not sure it is definitely best to assume that it wasn't.

So far today (right now its only 11.45) Mr C has walked the dogs (at 5am in the rain!), turned over a lot of the veg patch in a failed attempt to find the remains of last years Jerusalem Artichokes (which means he's scattered them and they'll come back up everywhere), divided and replanted the raspberries, had a work conference call, and has started on sorting out the garage. Oh, and, of course, he's been to the bakers so he could get his breakfast while it was still warm.

Today's menu

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup (lemon and elderflower flavour) - Mr C had two warm eccles cakes

Lunch: Actimel and cheese

Dinner: low carb bubble and squeak (celeriac, swede, Brussels sprouts and leftover veg from yesterday's roast), pickles and Linda McCartney burgers - Mr C will have cold roast chicken and chutney with his B&S

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Just got a letter pushed through the letterbox from the Police saying we had breached coronavirus restrictions.... there was a few minutes of total panic until I phoned them and found out it was delivered here in error - should have been put through the letterbox of someone who lives in a house with a very similar address. Phew! Bit worried now that if we ever should need them that they would go to the wrong address.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook
Bet that livened up your day!
Has it (temporarily) cooled Mr C's habit of visiting DIY stores? :D

All v peaceful here, except that Mr B went shopping for his Ma first thing this morning, and came back with a Morrisons steak and kidney pie for his lunch. The smell was heavenly. I had to leave the room.

No dog walk today, on account of Mr B being on call (from home during the present crisis), and there being no time for him to walk them. So far we have had one bored widdle accident (best described as a flood) on the kitchen doormat, thank you Pup3), 3 plant labels brought in from the garden with heavy duty toothmarks, several clumps of garden moss brought in and crumbled on the kitchen floor, a cacophony of barking at the pigeon that DARED to land on the bird feeder, and a lot of brattish attention seeking. And the day is still young. I think we need a treadmill.

B: none
L: halloumi fries in chilli oil
D: will be pork chops

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I do wonder if the sore throat, inability to inflate my lungs fully and dry cough I had a week or two ago might have been a very mild bout of coronavirus - it lasted about a week then faded away. As I'm not sure it is definitely best to assume that it wasn't.
We (Neil, DIL and myself) think that what we have had may be covid19, but we are aware that it may not. So we assume it was something else and go on as before.

Due to his long term bad health, Neil has been unable to be employed for the last 20+ years and has been on some sort of benefit for much of that time. Now we find that the benefit that is paid via a Post Office account can't be accessed because he is being shielded. There is, apparently, a form that he could submit to get a second card issued so that I can draw cash for him (only being "vulnerable" and not "shielded") but our local Post Office doesn't have them and they can only be had from the main Post Office in Stornoway. There's no way I can get there.

I did ask if there is some other arrangement in place for people in the same position as Neil, but there isn't. Not too bad for us, I have my pension and we can live off of that - as long as no big bills come in, but there must be others who are in a less fortunate position. I worry for them. For us, it just means that Neil will have to rein in his spending for a while (he just bought an ex-showroom, huge electric mower, so must be about cleaned out) but he'll just have to look at things online for a while. Part of this is because of his insistance on security (it's an Asperger thing) so he won't use online banking, which means he can't access his bank account proper and can't transfer his benefits into that account. Maybe No 2 son can help once he is back in circulation

Turns out that Neil only had to press a few buttons to reset the answerphone. Simple! Buttons on electronic equipment are my downfall. Can never remember how to use them. That's why I'm so hopeless with my mobile phone.