What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SlimLizzy - Best wishes to Mr Slim for his first day. Hugs for the rat close encounter (I hate them too)

@maglil55 - Could you do a rough outline of a timetable of how / when the virus impacted you, if you don't mind and get a moment. I have a young single Mum further along my road whose in an on and off bad way and can't work out if she's got it or not. I suggested she phones 111 but she's not keen on that idea. (I've never got on with Cafe Hag - it gives me a funny lingering aftertaste.)

@DCUKMod - thanks for the heads up - I will definitely increase my Vit D.

@Brunneria - Good luck in your fight with the slugs. We always slug pellet our garden and the little... blighters.... still manage to get to the plants.

Beautiful sunny day here and the entire road seems to have gone DIY mad!! Next door is sledge hammering his front door step (haven't asked why), the young family opposite seem to be gutting their kitchen, and there is all kinds of crashes and bangs coming from every direction! Mr C has gone on a foraging mission for decent olive oil - last heard from heading towards central Doncaster (10 miles away!)

Food today:

Breakfast: usual omelette with no carb syrup - raspberry this time
Lunch: Actimel and (hopefully) some strawberries if Mr C remembers to get them
Dinner: Oumph! (sort of fake pulled meat with a rather nice slightly hot and tangy sauce) wrapped (for me) in romaine lettuce (Mr C in normal wraps), with grated cheese, sour cream, chopped tomatoes and chopped red onion
Dessert: probably strawberries (if there is any) dipped in melted cheese - failing that, just the chocolate (unmelted)
@Chook, as @Annb said goodness knows what we've had unless they come up with a reliable antibody test. I'm glad she's called for advice. I was convinced I had a very bad cold but now I'm not so sure. Hubby started it with sneezing, sore throat and just generally "off" at the end of February. No fever and apart from being a bit nauseous and not eating for a couple of days he recovered very quickly. First thing I noticed (and it was right at the end of February) was my legs were agony and my BGs went into the 6's. This was followed by starting to sniffle and the worst sore throat I'd ever had. That lasted 3 or 4 days and I was dosed up on paracetamol. At no time did I have a temperature but I had awful night sweats. As soon as the sore throat started I moved to another bedroom. Dry, non productive cough for about 5 days. Followed by nausea but no sickness. As many have mentioned the fatigue was horrendous. I could fall asleep sitting up and couldn't control it. At the start I had aching limbs as well. If I'm honest there were times I could have sat and cried I felt so bad. First 2 weeks were the worst. Only thing that helped was paracetamol, hot showers and Vics. I didn't get everything at once and I did get the occasional break. The whole thing dragged on for 5 weeks. The odd one which came on at the tail end was my sinuses were affected. My nose was incredibly cold in the sinuses and that's what came back again. Once again it was hot showers and inhaling steam that helped. As I said goodness knows what I had but it was pretty horrible.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar
Late Lunch: Left over tuna melts, followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: ribs and roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you’re feeling ‘not too bad’ but that dettol must have really irritated your throat.
The custards are very similar to your creme brûlée but less faff as whole eggs are used. I learnt 2 things with this latest batch: 1) use medium eggs rather than large ( large ones give a more eggy taste and make too much mixture so the pots are overfilled) 2) monkfruit is loads better than erythritol ( to my taste) for sweetening them.
I will be making more as it appears I’ve eaten them all and nobody else got one. Lol.
I've got the same issue with the creme brulee (I refuse to call eating them all a problem)

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
maglil - were those eggs salted? The can be salted in shell (great for picnics, as you don't have to salt with you, or cracked into dips in a bed of salt.

It's tricky to get the timings just right for taste and texture!
Here's the explanation. Honestly, I wouldn't eat it. There's no salt in it. It's just a simple experiment for kids.

https://www.wikihow-fun.com/Make-a-Bouncy-Egg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was pretty aghast as well. Really made me jump as my mouse flicked over the image. Teeth?daughter's sole?
They were tiny obviously but she took a photo and when we enlarged it they looked just like human teeth! What a shock.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook and @Annb here is a photo of the teeth - it’s just the fish head enlarged. Very scary!
IMG_2446.jpg

Reactions: maglil55

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
22-04-2020

Breakfast CWC. Nut Granola. Fried halloumi, mushrooms and baby plum tomatoes. CWC.

CWC

Lunch garden salad .raw Carrot. Red cabbage coleslaw. Pâtè on toast. Tea and water to drink.

Tea

stuffed courgette, made yesterday and reheated. Nicer today as slightly undercooked before. Carrot "rice". Well grated carrot fried with nigella seeds. Whatever you want to call it.

There is a whole kilo of carrots in my fridge and am obviously not going to be able to eat all before they start going off. The carrot "rice" was an experiment.

Made lemon and almond shortbread @Rachox. No almond flour, but ground almonds and an extra tbs of butter seemed to work. Now - if I could just stop eating them.

@annabell1 glad to read you got some sleep.

@Krystyna23040 thank you. Am currently making an effort with meals. Not sure how long that will last though. And Yes Emailing amusing videos is contributing to improving morale. We all need upbeat stuff at the moment.

@DJC3 thanks for hugs.

@maglil55 good to know you are getting better, it has been a long haul.

@PenguinMum top of the daily list

KEEP BUSY.

Although it's not difficult, there is always something needing doing.

Today moved and sorted a couple more boxes of stuff out if the living room. It's almost tidy now.

Put in several rows of seeds. Went for a completely illegal bike ride. I need to increase my control and stamina if I am ever going to be able to get to a supermarket. Can now manage to signal turning left. Turning right still a bit dodgy. Good thing the roads are almost empty.

We put up a summer house? gazebo? Last year. It has six panels which we painted. One of them is in terrible state and peeling off. Others are fine. Am assuming failure of preparation somewhere along the line and attempting to repair the damage.

Then there is the vegetable mountain. I riced cauliflower, fried mushrooms and leeks. Froze it all.

Also made lemon and almond shortbread

Discovered there are bees nesting in the chimney so had to have a fire tonight. Felt a bit guilty, but no alternative. Heard them humming, opened the door and bees came flying out.
20200422_194904.jpeg
20200422_192746.jpeg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Made lemon and almond shortbread @Rachox. No almond flour, but ground almonds and an extra tbs of butter seemed to work. Now - if I could just stop eating them.

Yes they are irresistible aren’t they? And I used ground almonds, mush cheaper than flour :)

Reactions: Chook
D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual bacon eggs and tomatoes.
Lunch: Cheese and ham lc wrap.
Dinner: Marinated chook legs, salad.

Drinks, Black coffee, water.

Woolies are going back to online shopping for everyone now with contract drivers.

Dear XXX,
QvSES7Opw0pOzn66RKF6MO0HS2GH7O_mAr_g_2VIqmzE3F2-lSr1hlJr3a6Ym-w1ASQ=s0-d-e1-ft

We’re delighted to let you know that we’ve re-opened our online delivery and pick up services for all customers. We have been working hard to double the available online windows and we now have thousands of Delivery and Pick up windows available by partnering with on-demand delivery companies in your area.

You’ll now start to see these new delivery windows at checkout which will be identified as ‘small vehicle deliveries’. When you select one of these windows, your order of up to 40 items will be hand picked by one of our Personal Shoppers, and a contactless Delivery will then be made to your doorstep by one of our partner drivers.

Although we are opening more windows, we are still experiencing unusually high demand for selected products. If your first choice is not available, we will do our best to provide a suitable substitution.

To place an order, please log into your online account using the details created at sign up.
QvSES7Opw0pOzn66RKF6MO0HS2GH7O_mAr_g_2VIqmzE3F2-lSr1hlJr3a6Ym-w1ASQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Sincerely

Your Woolworths Team

A pix of the chook legs before getting marinated,

OjyaafD.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a strange place here tonight what with @Goonergal's bug, @SlimLizzy's bees and @DJC3's Dover sole with a set of falsers Simon Cowell would be proud off. Bed 5.9 FBG 5.5. Have you heard how things have gone for Mr Slim today @ SlimLizzy? Your bees reminded me of when we were extending our house. We were held up by a hive that had taken residence at the rear and it was a few months before they moved on. I'm glad to say I'm starting to feel almost normal again. Still bothered with this cold nose but otherwise OK.
B. TAG with slice of bacon, a tomato sausage and a fried egg. Hubby wanted tomato sausages so that and the bacon were done in the air fryer.
L. Just a couple of Dairylea triangles.
D. Hubby wanted mac and cheese. Air fryer came into it's own for me again. I cut a chicken breast into strips, dipped in egg and crumbed in my mix of golden flax, oat fibre, sesame seeds, parmesan and seasoning. A spray with olive oil and air fried on the wire tray lined with greaseproof. 10 mins at 200C then turned and another 10 mins. Came out wonderfully crisp but soft chicken. Had with a small salad of tomato, 1/2 avocado and lettuce. Had the last small prosecco (only have large bottles now). Later yet another LC creme brulee with raspberries.
In the interests of weirdness here's a pair of soles with gnashers (yes they are for real). Someone actually sells them.
20200422_232738.jpg

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
22-04-2020

Breakfast CWC. Nut Granola. Fried halloumi, mushrooms and baby plum tomatoes. CWC.

CWC

Lunch garden salad .raw Carrot. Red cabbage coleslaw. Pâtè on toast. Tea and water to drink.

Tea

stuffed courgette, made yesterday and reheated. Nicer today as slightly undercooked before. Carrot "rice". Well grated carrot fried with nigella seeds. Whatever you want to call it.

There is a whole kilo of carrots in my fridge and am obviously not going to be able to eat all before they start going off. The carrot "rice" was an experiment.

@Krystyna23040 thank you. Am currently making an effort with meals. Not sure how long that will last though. And Yes Emailing amusing videos is contributing to improving morale. We all need upbeat stuff at the moment.

@DJC3 thanks for hugs.

KEEP BUSY.

Today moved and sorted a couple more boxes of stuff out if the living room. It's almost tidy now.

Put in several rows of seeds. Went for a completely illegal bike ride. I need to increase my control and stamina if I am ever going to be able to get to a supermarket. Can now manage to signal turning left. Turning right still a bit dodgy. Good thing the roads are almost empty.

We put up a summer house? gazebo? Last year. It has six panels which we painted. One of them is in terrible state and peeling off. Others are fine. Am assuming failure of preparation somewhere along the line and attempting to repair the damage.

Then there is the vegetable mountain. I riced cauliflower, fried mushrooms and leeks. Froze it all.

Discovered there are bees nesting in the chimney so had to have a fire tonight. Felt a bit guilty, but no alternative. Heard them humming, opened the door and bees came flying out. View attachment 40658View attachment 4

I just half cooked lots of cubed carrots and put them in the freezer because I knew I wouldn't use them before they went off. Did the same with quite a lot of the veg that I had in the fridge last week. Gradually using up ready cooked meals from the freezer but tonight I had some of the chicken wings with quite a few left over for tomorrow.

Neil has been busy today - pruning bushes that are already getting rampant despite being cut back at the end of last year and then he started work on repairing an old trunk that his dad used to take to sea with him. Goodness knows how - it's about 31/2 feet long, 2 feet wide and 11/2 feet deep. How he managed to cart that around and his accordion as well, I just can't imagine. We used to use it as a coffee table when we were first married. Of course, in the "old days" travelling to ships was by train and ferry, not by plane as it was latterly - and there used to be porters to help transport luggage. My goodness - I'm showing my age now.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
22-04-2020

CWC

Tea

@DJC3 thanks for hugs.

KEEP BUSY.

Discovered there are bees nesting in the chimney so had to have a fire tonight. Felt a bit guilty, but no alternative. Heard them humming, opened the door and bees came flying out. View attachment 40658View attachment 40659

your carrot rice" looks good mmm have you thought of pickling your carrots

Edited by moderator for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
breakfast I brought to try a packet of Oat free porridge toasted almond meal with coconut quinoa & chia and figs that I cooked up on the stove top I had it with heated full cream fat milk it was warming to eat but found it a bit of a strange sweetness to it but was something different for a change but I must say I still prefer Oats if only I could eat them sigh..... but this is an alternative to having a hot cereal for breakfast for a change instead of eggs or pancakes. 2 mugs of black coffee

this morning got a phone call from the nurse from the Stelara support program, and arrange a time for to come over to my home to show me how to give myself my Stelara injection which I have to give myself in a few weeks time.

lunch made a sandwich with sourdough bread and added my leftover Lebanese zucchini omelette, some cheese and tomato that I toasted in a snack maker and had a pot of tea.

the weather has been lovely here so about an hour after lunch I decided to go for a walk around the neighbourhood and found some Galahs singing in the trees and pigeons on the power lines cheerfully singing I took some photos as well which I post later as I am on my notebook at the moment, and a family of 5 was walking as well and one of their children he looked about 5 or 6 stopped near by me and got excited and chatted with me when he see the galahs although he thought they were cockatoos at first until he realised they were galahs. but was such a lovely kid and then the whole family caught up and we acknowledged hellos but kept our social distancing from each other. but it was nice to see other humans lol..... after my walk I was very fatigued a fatigue I get that is hard to explain and my left hip was sore when I went for a walk and and was still sore when I got home I think this was also making me feel this way so took some panadol osteo and had a lay down just resting did help a bit but I didn't sleep but was good few hours lay down which I think I needed.

dinner: about 7 pm was hungry and really didn't want to cook anything and didn't pull anything out but found Pasta so boiled up the pasta and combined garlic lemon zest and garlic and EVO together to make garlic pasta, haven't eaten pasta for I can't actually remember as it is not something I eat these days but for some reason I have a few packets in my cupboard go figure.

just finished watching on Netflix the show "Unorthodox" it was quite an extraordinary story based on the true story of Deborah Feldman".

today : woke up around 9.30am BSL 5.6mmol/l breakfast two boiled eggs on sour dough toast with butter and 2 black coffees

lunch I had a tin of smoked Riga Sprats in oil with chilli that I bought from aldi a few weeks ago so had them on salada biscuits with butter and mint leaves and made of pot of tea. not sure if I like the Riga Sprats I think it was because of the smoke flavour I do have another tin in the pantry which will be for another meal but will not buy them again and stick to my Brunswick sardines in chilli oil which I prefer. does anyone have a good cracker biscuits recipe? I need to found a recipe for biscuits that is healthier to eat instead of salada biscuits.

then made some sour dough starter this afternoon so I can make my own bread never made a sour dough bread before but may as well give it a go whilst I am self Isolating it takes 3 to 4 days I think to make the starter then you make the bread out of some of the starter so be a project will see if it works will keep you posted. although trying to limit my carbs I have read that home made fermented sour dough is actually good for our gut microbes.

dinner for tonight I have pulled out some chicken wings they are defrosting in the fridge but as lunch was late will see if I am hungry whether I make them or not

oh it is bold and beautiful time on TV so signing off to watch it I have missed a few episodes so need to catch up on what is happening with Sally anyone else watch it?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Mr C wants to go shopping for new curtains in a proper shop ... I can't go out on my own (sort of phobia about falling over, I suppose) and he has, when left to his own devices, an 'unusual' taste in home furnishings.... hmm

Mr C tells me that we can expect these lockdown measures to continue in to next year. Wooppee

Food....

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup
Lunch: Actimel and a bit of brie
Dinner: Chilli - made with veggie mince topped with grated cheese, chopped tomatoes, chopped red onions and sour cream - with a green side salad. Mr C will have the same but with the addition of tear and share garlic bread (which he won't be sharing with me but probably the dogs will get some - they all love the crunchy ends of garlic bread)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

BG is finally starting to look a bit more sensible after running ridiculously high for a while. Hopefully that means the virus is shifting itself at last.

Lunch today was 2 Waitrose 1 free range Cumberland sausages and 4 rashers streaky bacon.
Dinner was a GBK burger (supermarket bought) with some cheese, bacon and a duck egg on top.

My morning walk took me past an enormous Tesco, which opens early (6am) and as I passed around 6.45 there was no queue - noted for future reference as a potential time saver and safer shopping experience.

509D31E0-4E13-4A87-9C37-1C6F1496DE2B.jpeg