What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Ate the same meal twice today. Discovered some pork belly strips that needed eating lurking in the fridge.

Chopped a couple up, coated in chilli oil and salt and air fried for lunch. So delicious I did the same for dinner.

Also had some cream and almond butter.

View attachment 42448

Looks wonderful

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just had the most disappointing belly pork EVER!
V jealous of your good stuff @Goonergal

good news about the new car @maglil55 - I remember the feeling of relief well, when my clapped out (but well loved) old banger was replaced by something I could trust.
Also good news about @DJC3 ’s phone.

I agree with @DCUKMod about that rash @Chook
Keep an eye on it?
Have you downloaded the COVID symptoms app? I have been filling it in daily for weeks now. I even signed up for their testing survey, if selected.
So when I got a sore throat and stuffy nose last week, and recorded it on the app, they called me in for a test (which was negative :) ).
One of the questions I was asked was about rashes.

food today:
B: buttered kippers
L: home made chicken soup
D: tough, noncrackly, rubbery belly pork :(

Also too much choc. Lindt have a new bar. With whole hazelnuts. Lower carb than expected. Bought one to try. Ate the whole thing. It was like eating crunchy nutella. Mustn’t get another. EVER.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also too much choc. Lindt have a new bar. With whole hazelnuts. Lower carb than expected. Bought one to try. Ate the whole thing. It was like eating crunchy nutella. Mustn’t get another. EVER.

Sounds delicious and dangerous!

Sorry about the pork.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today was guinea pig day! Which meant I completely forgot to eat something before leaving the house at around noon. So apart from a couple of bites from an apple (which I'd brought for the guinea pigs) to make sure I wouldn't drop while driving, breakfast had to wait until 4pm, when we got back. This late breakfast was a low carb cracker with a thick layer of over-mature (on the line of gone off) brie, eaten while working to quickly improvise a couple of hiding places for the guinea pigs.
Good thing I like my cheeses strong and tasty :)

Evening meal was a quickly thrown together mix of cauliflower rice, onion, mushrooms, bok choy and remarkably tasty vegetarian chicken pieces from Lidl with black bean sauce, Indonesian hot sauce, powdered ginger and cumin, and lots of fresh garlic

That is one heck of a Guinea abode. No 1 grandson would love you. His 3 pigs have a double decker house with different area. His eyes will pop when he sees this.
Haven't figured out to do the thumbnail pictures, so filling the screen now with guinea pig spam. My apologies, but I promised @maglil55 's grandson no. 1.
It's the new piggies ride from the guinea pig shelter to their new home, the pen with added hiding places, and a picture of them getting used to their new house :)

Tomorrow I'll get back on track with food pictures again, but I couldn't disappoint Maglil's grandson, could I?

82478816_10221209288376121_1037966037895202168_o.jpg

75412315_10221209715386796_4369136836947677938_o.jpg

85152668_10221209713746755_6990740606303358021_o.jpg

Reactions: maglil55 and Pipp

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dentists first appt done thankfully and half bill paid - rest and completion in two weeks time. It was an odd experience but didn’t feel worried about cv19 because of their scary PPE - despite dentist talking about how concerned he was that his wedding in early August may not be able to happen unless things improve in Leicester where his fiancée lives! He in effect had two masks on to protect him from me and me from him. Me and OH also did another joint hairdressing session today as not sure when will be able to get hair appt as can’t get hold of our hairdresser!
Just one meal as early appt and massive freeze took a while to wear off so was hard to eat or drink! Had some coffees with cream though early and later.
Dinner two lamb chops,salads and celeriac chips with glass of mix of dry white wine and soda water pudding three garden raspberries with Greek yoghurt. Small piece of 100% choc with decaff coffee.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just had the most disappointing belly pork EVER!
V jealous of your good stuff @Goonergal

good news about the new car @maglil55 - I remember the feeling of relief well, when my clapped out (but well loved) old banger was replaced by something I could trust.
Also good news about @DJC3 ’s phone.

I agree with @DCUKMod about that rash @Chook
Keep an eye on it?
Have you downloaded the COVID symptoms app? I have been filling it in daily for weeks now. I even signed up for their testing survey, if selected.
So when I got a sore throat and stuffy nose last week, and recorded it on the app, they called me in for a test (which was negative :) ).
One of the questions I was asked was about rashes.

food today:
B: buttered kippers
L: home made chicken soup
D: tough, noncrackly, rubbery belly pork :(

Thanks for the warning about the chocolate. I’d better give it a wide berth.
I fill in the Covid symptom app too, I was pleased to see they added questions for diabetics about how it’s controlled, HbA1c, use of CGMs etc. I didn’t realised you’d be called in for a test if you had symptoms though. Good to know.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the warning about the chocolate. I’d better give it a wide berth.
I fill in the Covid symptom app too, I was pleased to see they added questions for diabetics about how it’s controlled, HbA1c, use of CGMs etc. I didn’t realised you’d be called in for a test if you had symptoms though. Good to know.

I think they only call you in for testing if you signed up for the study.
When I signed up, it asked if I was willing to take part in their Testing study, which consists of people with, or without symptoms being tested.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I signed up, it asked if I was willing to take part in their Testing study, which consists of people with, or without symptoms being tested.

I’m fairly sure I signed up too - it’s good to know.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been doing it since it started too. I get extra questions from them because it's been coming back in waves. They also asked for photos of my rash which I'd taken for the doctor anyway. No test though. Probably because I'm in Scotland and it appears not a lot are registered on it here. They did get me to register Hubby as well.

Reactions: Brunneria

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone recommend a good - not too hot - chilli oil? I finished the Hotel Chocolat cocoa and chilli oil I’ve been using today and that’s been discontinued (probably just as well or it’d be yet another excuse for a visit) so am looking for another option.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone recommend a good - not too hot - chilli oil? I finished the Hotel Chocolat cocoa and chilli oil I’ve been using today and that’s been discontinued (probably just as well or it’d be yet another excuse for a visit) so am looking for another option.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean (how does chilli oil relate to hotel chocolate?). But if you get a nice oil, olive or whatever you fancy, and you chop up some chilli peppers and add them to the oil it gives you a very nice chilli oil.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure I understand what you mean (how does chilli oil relate to hotel chocolate?). But if you get a nice oil, olive or whatever you fancy, and you chop up some chilli peppers and add them to the oil it gives you a very nice chilli oil.

I had a bottle of chilli oil which also contained cocoa, which was produced by Hotel Chocolat - it was a gift and I’d never previously tried chilli oil. Don’t fancy chilli chopping so am looking for something mild and off the shelf.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/sw-shell.html

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today was guinea pig day! Which meant I completely forgot to eat something before leaving the house at around noon. So apart from a couple of bites from an apple (which I'd brought for the guinea pigs) to make sure I wouldn't drop while driving, breakfast had to wait until 4pm, when we got back.

From a dreadful moment or two, I thought you were going to eat guinea pigs.
:arghh::bag:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@Anjte77 is right about nfusing your own oil, although just adding some chillis and waiting, it can taake a while to pick up the chilli flavours.

I have made various infusions in oil - initially slow time, the quickened up in the SV, and now I can do it with a Nitrous infusion. Not too sure how I'd get the chocolate thread through it though. @maglil55 is the flavourmeister, so I wonder if she has any ideas.

Most of the supermarkets now do flavoured oils, including chilli, so they might be a decent starting point. If they're too perky for you, just "water" it down with a bit more oil, or use part chilli/part your plain oil of choice.

Finally, I have made this, but, trust me, it's fierce! https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-make-chili-oil/

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a bottle of chilli oil which also contained cocoa, which was produced by Hotel Chocolat - it was a gift and I’d never previously tried chilli oil. Don’t fancy chilli chopping so am looking for something mild and off the shelf.
Sounds very interesting! What did you use the chilli/chocolate oil for? I might fancy some experimenting but I have no clue how to use the resulting oil :)

The no chilli chopping made me laugh, shows how different people are. Fresh red chilli peppers are a staple in my kitchen and are chopped as often as onions or garlic.
However, I get wanting chilli oil off the shelf :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds very interesting! What did you use the chilli/chocolate oil for? I might fancy some experimenting but I have no clue how to use the resulting oil :)

Used it to add flavour to air fried chicken wings/chicken/pork belly pieces and such like. Just added a hint of flavour and heat - which is more than enough for me. It was good either drizzled over the finished product or used as part of a rub.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At 12 euro's a pig, no thanks, way too many little bones and not enough meat for your money. Besides, I like watching them do guinea pig things :)

Antje, if you like a chilli hit, the earlier recipe i,posted is fab. The resultant oil is fierce, but you can use less/more depending on your taste. It is great for stirfries, or as a rub or brief marinade before cooking or airfrying chicken pieces.

I've also used it to perk up mayo, or Greek yoghurt for salad dressings.

I adore chilli.