What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Yesterday I ate
Usual breakfast HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch: Thin slice sourdough toast piled with ripe Camembert.
Supper: giant cod fishfingers and broccoli.

Today had the same brekkie.
Lunch will be tomato and basil omelette.
Supper will be h/m chicken curry with spinach and cauli rice.
A couple of gin & sodas.

@Chook sorry to hear about the virus, I think if it were me I would want to test. Hope you improve. @Rachox sorry to read about your mum’s fall coming so soon after your bereavement, hope she will be able to manage at home.

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Has anyone heard from @SlimLizzy - I had a dream about her last night and just want to know that she's okay?

Confusion with FBGs today... I was up an hour earlier than normal and was really pleased when my FBGs were only 5.2!!!! Woo Hoooo!! I had my very low carb breakfast and two hours later my BGs were up to 8.4 (where it would usually be at that time had I got up at my normal time). Normally two hours after breakfast my BGs are the same or very slightly lower than my fasting test. I always thought that eating breakfast stops my dawn phenomenon from getting any higher... but maybe I have been wrong about this. More experimentation is needed.

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup
Lunch: Actimel drink and a bit of cheese (Dolce Gorgonzola)
Dinner: Linda McCartney burgers and salad

A glass or three of red will

@Brunneria - now I'm going to have to track down and try some of that Lindt chocolate!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's really easy to make. I've been doing it for years. I got into it in Italy. You need a bottle you can seal. 500 mls extra virgin olive oil, 2 or 3 dried chillies ( we grow them every year) , about a teaspoon chilli flakes ( mixed if you can get them) and , if you want to get chocolate into it , 20 to 25g cocoa nibs ( amazon & Holland & Barrett have them).

Roast the cocoa nibs in a cool oven for about 15 mins - about 140C. Don't let them burn.
Put the olive oil in a pot with the chilli flakes and warm it slowly for about 15 mins ( don't let the oil smoke).
Put your 2 or 3 whole dried chilli into your bottle then add the oil, the flakes and the cocoa nibs.
Let it cool before sealing.
You can use after a day but the longer you leave it the stronger it gets. You'll see it getting more red as the days pass. If it gets too hot just add more olive oil. Find a nice dark, cool cupboard to store it in. Oh, and give it a shake every day.

Gosh, that's very similar to the HC version.

I have to say, I'd ever have thought of using it as soon as next day, but then we like it hot, hot, hot.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Up at 4.30 this morning. FBG 6.8
Water and co-codamol then tested again at 9.30 - 10.6
Insulin (40 units - quite a lot higher than usual) 2 sausages and tea
Tested at 11.30 - 14.7
I have some soup (lamb shank and veggies) for a meal later on, but I think I'm on a loser today. Wonder if the co-codamol is having an effect on BG.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I will not buy any more of the new Lindt hazelnut choc bar.
Did you copy paste or write it out? You know it won't work if you copy pasted, do you?

Tonight will be fun, and interesting from a diabetes point of view. Diabetes has been behaving very well the last week but I expect I'll break my over 90% in range streak tonight. If I do, I'll thoroughly enjoy it though :)

It's my neighbour's birthday, and we'll have a garden party with a big fire, barbecue, fire crackers, lots of booze and enough room to social distance :)
Should I log in at 4AM tonight and write gibberish, well, you'll know the cause :wacky:

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gosh, that's very similar to the HC version.

I have to say, I'd ever have thought of using it as soon as next day, but then we like it hot, hot, hot.
Cooking the chilli flakes through gently gets some heat into the oil. The alternative is just to simply get the dried chillies into your oil bottle (I have a few of these brought back from Italy) with the oil, put it in a cool dark place and wait for it to turn deep red
I normally have 2 on the go but I muck about with different flavours.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got a bit of catching up to do. Bed Wednesday 7 FBG 6.6 so better going to bed and fasting but I had a horrendous 1 hour late morning where I hit 11.7 before it turning down again. No idea why.
Boys were here on Wednesday so had to calm them down not to fiddle with the new car. Hubby quite keen to get in the car now he knows it won't conk out. Even came with me to Lidl yesterday! Got myself a Homedics Faceial Spa which has a nasal attachment. Worked wonders on the sinuses!
Wednesday - B. TAG and 2 GF seeded crackers, pate and a Dairylea triangle.
L. Nothing - on schoolwork duty.
D. 2 slices roast pork, remains of pate, tomato and avocado salad. DGF Millionaire shortbread.

New garden furniture arrived today too. Got to say the delivery guy did really well getting it to the front door (Lorry too big for the rear) but it was a major operation getting it around the back.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So found this today is this why I'm having trouble

https://www.dietdoctor.com/top-tips-lose-weight-low-carb-women-40

Still at mums breakfast at 8am BSL 5.6 mmol/L had grilled 2 slices of white bread with cheese black coffee bsl 2 hours raise to 12.6 mmol/L lunch had
Bsl 5.6 mmol/L had Leftovers 2 x kafta meat 1 wedge potatoe and small spoon of rice.
Bsl before dinner 4.7 mmol/L
Dinner chicken chips some lettuce and 1/2 tomato and doom garlic sauce. Just got given toblerone icecream oh dear I'm going home tomorrow night then can get back to trying eating as best I can lchf. It is what it is but it makes you realise why the SAD diet guidelines are so wrong.edited to say wish I didn't eat the toblerone icecream I felt like I was eating a bowl of sugar was so sickly sweet I'm now gulping water down to try and wash it out my system.
I think we all undergo a major change with our tastebuds when we've been LC a while. Things I previously loved now taste unbearable sweet if I dare to taste them now. I used to be dreadful when driving from venue to venue for work to eat a Mars Bar. Mainly due to no time to eat and it was something you could eat on the move. Couldn't look at them now.

Reactions: annabell1

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone heard from @SlimLizzy - I had a dream about her last night and just want to know that she's okay?

Confusion with FBGs today... I was up an hour earlier than normal and was really pleased when my FBGs were only 5.2!!!! Woo Hoooo!! I had my very low carb breakfast and two hours later my BGs were up to 8.4 (where it would usually be at that time had I got up at my normal time). Normally two hours after breakfast my BGs are the same or very slightly lower than my fasting test. I always thought that eating breakfast stops my dawn phenomenon from getting any higher... but maybe I have been wrong about this. More experimentation is needed.

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup
Lunch: Actimel drink and a bit of cheese (Dolce Gorgonzola)
Dinner: Linda McCartney burgers and salad

A glass or three of red will

@Brunneria - now I'm going to have to track down and try some of that Lindt chocolate!!
It's having the same effect on me.

I must go look for the new Lindt chocolate.

I must go look for the new Lindt chocolate......

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Geesh! No rhyme nor reason to BGs right enough. I was a bit snuffly but nothing to account for 8.8 going to bed or a 8.2 FBG.
Busy time of year this. DIL birthday, wedding anniversary, Hubby's birthday (Thursday yesterday), son and DIL anniversary approaching , one surviving brother's birthday ....
Hubby wasn't too great for his birthday but it turned out to be down to him lugging most of the new garden furniture through to the back. Even although we opened the box and moved it in bits it was still heavy. A few paracetamol and a good night's sleep and he's fine again.
B. TAG and a slice of LC toast with pate which at least brought the BGs down for a while.
L. Nothing. Went to Lidl to get the spa thing and some groceries and to Iceland as I wanted their red shrimp with chilli and tomato. Hubby had also developed a notion for a Black Forest Gateau.
D. Iceland's wild red shrimp with chilli and tomato and added mushroom, tomato, spinach and cauliflower rice.

@Antje77 - you're still grandson's favourite person. He loves the ginger pig. His 3 are Ginnie, Minnie and Halo. Ginnie is a ginger pig. @Chook - you're correct. @SlimLizzy has been away a few days now but it's probably understandable with everything she has to do.

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 - you're still grandson's favourite person. He loves the ginger pig. His 3 are Ginnie, Minnie and Halo. Ginnie is a ginger pig.
Sending greetings to Ginnie, Minnie and Halo, and to their owner and his grandmother of course!

As if having a boozy barbecue party wasn't interesting enough in itself, the wind has now picked up and there's rain in the forecast. Looking forward to a campfire in 6 - 7 Beaufort :D

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Very glad to have made it to the weekend.

Brunch today was mince fried with onions, 2 eggs and some grated cheese.
Dinner was carnivore pizza topped with pepperoni, chorizo and Polish sausage.
Some cream and almond butter plus a few squares of 85% during the day.

D2630814-E736-4547-AEBF-301FB62C2188.jpeg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Brunneria and @maglil55 - I found the Lindt chocolate.... £3.00 for a 150g bar in Morrison's. I've put it straight in the chocolate freezer to avoid eating the whole thing. @Brunneria When you said you ate the whole bar did you mean this 150g size bar?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
...wha...!?!?

you have a freezer devoted to chocolate?!? KUDOS!!!

LOL!! It does sound funny when you say it like that. I don't eat much chocolate but am given quite a lot so it all goes in the freezer over the fridge waiting for me to remember it. My favourite is the 90% Godiva and I have a couple of squares maybe once (or, more rarely, twice) a week.

The chocolate shares the freezer with ice cubes and opened bags of things that are eaten frequently but, yes, it IS called the chocolate freezer.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LOL!! It does sound funny when you say it like that. I don't eat much chocolate but am given quite a lot so it all goes in the freezer over the fridge waiting for me to remember it. My favourite is the 90% Godiva and I have a couple of squares maybe once (or, more rarely, twice) a week.

The chocolate shares the freezer with ice cubes and opened bags of things that are eaten frequently but, yes, it IS called the chocolate freezer.

That 90% Godiva is delicious.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
I Did watch the documentary film ‘fat fiction’ yesterday evening and thought it was an absolutely excellent film well worth watching. Loved the old adverts from 50s, 60s etc. Lots of great info about cholesterol and nutritional guideline misinformation - it’s American but lots of it also applies to us here in U.K. I found the libre sensor experiment particularly interesting as well as lots of inspirational examples of people who had turned their diabetes round. I watched free as I’m an amazon prime member but if you google the film it will give you other options on how to watch it - think it’s included in Netflix if you are a member or think you can pay to stream as one off. It’s an independent film no food industry sponsorship. Would really recommend it especially to learn about fat in the diet and the low carb way of eating. I’m already planning to watch again with mum when she hopefully comes down in August when hershielding ended. She has never changed from butter and fatty meat and will find it fascinating !
Long day long hike - although not quite your marathon distances @Goonergal ! Managed 15kms. However lots of very steep climbs.
Picnic lots of coffee took two flasks and two boiled eggs with one slice of cooked crispy bacon
Dinner salmon in lemon butter and cauliflower cheese with glass of wine with soda followed by DGF Bakewell tart and Greek yoghurt. Tried these for first time they taste amazing - rest of box in freezer is now under threat! OH agrees that they are one of the best.......

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices of corned beef, mug of earl grey with double cream, 2 squares of 90% dark lindtt chocolate with peanut butter on top (and the best thing is it hardly made my BS rise).

Dinner - 4 egg omlette with mushrooms, cheese, tomatoes and onion (left overs will do for tomorrows brekkie).

I must try Godiva 90% - sounds good.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Very glad to have made it to the weekend.

Brunch today was mince fried with onions, 2 eggs and some grated cheese.
Dinner was carnivore pizza topped with pepperoni, chorizo and Polish sausage.
Some cream and almond butter plus a few squares of 85% during the day.

View attachment 42498
Hiya - do you whisk the eggs up and then add to the mince or what do you do?