What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A6F9DE9D-63E0-4757-8F9E-509ECDECF178.jpeg

Made low carb cheese scones today ready for my mums visit - we are bringing her down next weekend, so trying to get some preps done. As busy day today I did plan a one meal day but the smell of the cheese scones cooking at normal lunchtime made me cave in to lunch! Meant too that my scones no longer divided into portions of three scones - whoops had to cut one in half - still at least know they are delicious!
Unplanned lunch one cheese scone with some pancetta and Camembert. Then had two squares of 100% choc with coffee while they cooled and could be frozen away from temptation!
@Goonergal OMAD days are probably best spent away from alluring food smells!
Dinner lc chicken curry and Corriander with a couple of gin and soda followed by sf jelly and cream.
Chaffles being made for freezer tomorrow they make great lasagne ‘pasta sheets’ And great toasted with breakfast think need to do them early on to help me with temptation.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevenses: black coffee with Mississippi phd bar
Lunch: Babybels and pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt, chia pudding and LC granola.
Dinner: Spaghetti bolognese, no spaghetti for me, but fried sliced courgette instead followed by LC carrot cake and cream,

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and eggs for a late breakfast. Lots of black coffee.
Lunch - a few slices of salami, about 30g smoked cheese and a lc custard.
Dinner Roast belly pork with creamed cabbage. The joint wasn’t big enough for 3 do Mr C and I ate it between us while daughter was out. She had the air fried strips of frozen belly pork when she came in - they were crisp and delicious, thanks @Brunneria Also had 2 glasses red wine.
@Antje77 glad your tum survived yesterday’s room temp mince.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 glad your tum survived yesterday’s room temp mince.
I'm sure I'm even more glad about it than you are! :hilarious:
Evening meal will be a surprise again, no clue yet what I'll make.
Update: Definitely not my prettiest meal but filling and tasty nevertheless :). I did contemplate making a small salad to go with it to make my plate look prettier but I was too lazy. Didn't matter, it was a fine meal without salad as well!

Slice of celeriac with spices, gorgonzola, parmesan and bacon, left over from lunch and zapped in microwave, and a low carb wrap with a filling of onion, garlic, (very) hot pepper (tried another variety, definitely need to look those peppers up on google before using them!) and fried slices of the Spanish black pudding sausage from Lidl :hungry:
116156297_10221417894151135_1247807601058460883_o.jpg

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brekkie - yesterday's small leftover from dinner omlette with mushrooms, onions, cheese and tomatoes and extra mushrooms

then off to the hairdressers for my colour and cut - wow ... I feel like a new woman LOL! :happy:

Dinner was bitty today - one slice of hovis low carb bread toasted (I can't remember the last time I had bread) with loads of butter and pate, couple of slices of egg and pork roll while I was waiting on the toaster, SF jelly and double cream, 2 squares of Lindtt 90% dark chocolate washed down with cup of earl grey and double cream and nothing else! - me bad - I couldn't resist and had a little of my teenage son's takeaway box last night - sometimes it is so hard when you can see and smell it :banghead: and since it is Saturday night a couple of dark rums with diet coke.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having a few days at the seaside, blowing the cobwebs away. One longish walk in the morning then it poured all afternoon. Did get out again for 30 minutes after dinner in a spot of late sunshine

B: nothing
L: half a scotch egg, Turkey slices and green salad. 4 strawberries about an hour later
D baked cod and veg with soy sauce. Was ok but didn't look nearly as nice as hubby's curry and rice. 2 glasses wine

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262
You can’t post cheese scone pics like that and not post the recipe! I an drooling!

Tescos delivered today.
Major thrills and spills. Literally.
MR B dropped a bag in the hall and the jar of capers broke. Caper vinegar dribbled about 30 feet before he realised.
That was the spill.
The thrill came when 3 small dogs all decided that caper vinegar is delicious. They licked and paddled in it, and slurped it all up. Except for a sticky residue, of course.

anyway, am rather excited by this week’s menu. Decided on chicken in honey mustard mayo. Beef mince in taco seasoning (which is REALLY easy to knock up), and got salsa, Sour cream, guacamole and wrappy things for Mr B. And the third option will be turkey cheese ‘casserole’ American style. Should be enough for 2-3 days each option. Well chuffed.

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262
You can’t post cheese scone pics like that and not post the recipe! I an drooling!

Tescos delivered today.
Major thrills and spills. Literally.
MR B dropped a bag in the hall and the jar of capers broke. Caper vinegar dribbled about 30 feet before he realised.
That was the spill.
The thrill came when 3 small dogs all decided that caper vinegar is delicious. They licked and paddled in it, and slurped it all up. Except for a sticky residue, of course.

anyway, am rather excited by this week’s menu. Decided on chicken in honey mustard mayo. Beef mince in taco seasoning (which is REALLY easy to knock up), and got salsa, Sour cream, guacamole and wrappy things for Mr B. And the third option will be turkey cheese ‘casserole’ American style. Should be enough for 2-3 days each option. Well chuffed.

Cheese Scones -makes 9/10 small scones
Carb content is 13g per whole mix therefore 1.3g carb per scone. Carb comes mainly from the ground almonds.
Ingredients
• 150g Ground Almonds
• 50g psyllium Husk – this makes them more scone like
• 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon English Mustard Powder
• 70g of Butter - melted
• 100g of grated cheese + some extra for tops before baking
• 2 teaspoon salt
• Pepper to season
Method
1. Preheat oven to 160 fan (or equivalent) and line tray with liner
2. Add all dry ingredients (except cheese) in good sized mixing bowl.
3. Melt the butter
4. Beat egg and butter together and then add a little at a time to the dry ingredients to right texture - not too sticky - and then mix in cheese. Keep some aside for decorating the scones
5. Sprinkle PH onto a board or surface and put ball of dough onto surface.
6. Cut 10 scones out, sprinkle grated cheese on top and put on prepared tray
7. Cook for 15 mins until firm and golden brown.

Adapted from a recipe from It wont diabeatus site
https://iwdu.co.uk/savoury-cheese-scones/
I prefer using the PH and have increased some of quantities - especially the cheese!-

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.3 FBG 7.1. Don't know why I'm bothering as food has been very limited today. @annabell1 - I did smile at your EVO as, since changing cars ( to one that actually works) to me EVO now means car is in Electric Vehicle mode. @Annb - in our house the lamb ( or boiling beef) for broth goes back into the soup. That is probably why no one wants anything else after a plate of Hubby's broth!
B. TAG and a slice of toasted LC bread with ham and coleslaw.
L. Nothing - boys were coming to stay so I was busy cooking their dinner and cleaning as No. 1 grandson is currently neurotic about Covid19!
D. Picked at about 3 teaspoons of mince as I cooked it and currently I've had 2 slices of ham as I'm past eating anything else.

It's been quite a trial to get eldest grandson to settle. As I said he is neurotic currently about covid19 and getting ill. I've told my son he really needs to make sure he doesn't hear the endless "briefings" that continue up here as they are full of doom and gloom and they've terrified some of the kids. He's convinced if he sleeps anywhere other than his own bed he'll catch something. It wasn't helped by the fact that when he stayed a few weeks ago he had the beginnings of a sickness bug which hit a couple of days later. Keeping them locked away for months and the constantly changing "rules" are not helping either. It's been very stressful as he was very upset and it took me a while to get to the bottom of it. He's sleeping now thankfully and he'll be fine in the morning. There's a certain person though that's never off our screens I would happily tear a strip off right now though! Rant over.

Reactions: annabell1

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Bed 7.3 FBG 7.1. Don't know why I'm bothering as food has been very limited today. @annabell1 - I did smile at your EVO as, since changing cars ( to one that actually works) to me EVO now means car is in Electric Vehicle mode. @Annb - in our house the lamb ( or boiling beef) for broth goes back into the soup. That is probably why no one wants anything else after a plate of Hubby's broth!
B. TAG and a slice of toasted LC bread with ham and coleslaw.
L. Nothing - boys were coming to stay so I was busy cooking their dinner and cleaning as No. 1 grandson is currently neurotic about Covid19!
D. Picked at about 3 teaspoons of mince as I cooked it and currently I've had 2 slices of ham as I'm past eating anything else.

It's been quite a trial to get eldest grandson to settle. As I said he is neurotic currently about covid19 and getting ill. I've told my son he really needs to make sure he doesn't hear the endless "briefings" that continue up here as they are full of doom and gloom and they've terrified some of the kids. He's convinced if he sleeps anywhere other than his own bed he'll catch something. It wasn't helped by the fact that when he stayed a few weeks ago he had the beginnings of a sickness bug which hit a couple of days later. Keeping them locked away for months and the constantly changing "rules" are not helping either. It's been very stressful as he was very upset and it took me a while to get to the bottom of it. He's sleeping now thankfully and he'll be fine in the morning. There's a certain person though that's never off our screens I would happily tear a strip off right now though! Rant over.

It's the boiling of the meat that I can't come to terms with. I think the flavour is much better if roasted first. Just my opinion, of course. MIL always knew I was a spoiled southerner, and my dislike of the meat in the broth, or after it, just proved it. In fact, she wouldn't touch the cheapest meats, like offal, which we were brought up on. I have just remembered the first chicken we had; must have been around 1954 or 5. It was late on Christmas Eve and my mother didn't have anything in for our dinner on Christmas day (she wasn't the most organised person in the world) and we passed a butcher's shop which had one, scrawny chicken hanging in his window. It still had all its feathers and its head on (but I think it had probably been drawn). It was late and the butcher was selling it off cheap. We took the chicken home and my brother and I were set to plucking the beast. Then the head was cut off. It was even more scrawny looking without its feathers. But disorganised though she was, my mother could cook. The neck, liver, heart etc went into the gravy and we had a great Christmas dinner and felt very special because we had chicken! (And sage and onion stuffing, Yorkshire puddings and potatoes to bulk it out.)

I fried off some of the lambs' heart slices with onion and mushrooms. It was about one heart's worth so there's plenty left. Very nice meal. Might do something with some of the rest for breakfast tomorrow.

I get the impression that Em isn't particularly worried about the covid virus. She keeps to the rules and she wears a mask (made by her brother - he has been making masks for friends for the last week or so), but she seems very happy-go-lucky and unconcerned. More concerned about the damage she did to her Dad - she swung from the handle of their big American style freezer and accidentally pulled the door open, hitting No 2 son in the eye with the corner. It stunned him for a while and the wound was pouring blood. That frightened her and she ran for her Mum. He had to go to the hospital and get patched up - just clips across the wound, no stitches. But he is sporting quite a black eye and tells everyone that Em beat him up!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Annb The first Christmas dinner I remember was when I was two - about a couple of months before Christmas my Dad (a chef) brought home a live turkey to fatten up for Christmas dinner. By the week before Christmas the turkey was huge and had turned in to a family pet. My father tried but couldn't bring himself to do the deed so enlisted the help of a neighbour (a dentist) to help out. The pair of them got very drunk in preparation then chased the poor turkey around the garden before finally being successful. Then, after a week of hanging, it needed plucking and drawing - which my Dad said was the worse bit. On Christmas day as the meal was being served my sister commented about how strange it was not to have the turkey running around in the garden - well that did it - Christmas dinner was served up with tears and I was the only person who could eat it.

Breakfast: usual Sunday brunch - chaffle, fried eggs, mushrooms and 100g baked beans
Lunch: definitely will not be needed
Dinner: experimenting with making broccoli and Stilton soup - I'm hoping that, as it will be thickened with double cream, I won't need anything else

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All
Friday was an odd day so was the eating.
I had a brunch of a small cheese roll, same as Mr PM, later had a packet of Quavers from a hospital vending machine. Needed and 12g carbs which wasnt bad.
10pm supper of small portion chicken curry.
Yesterday back to normal so breakfast was slice HiLo toast butter lots of tea.
Lunch was egg mayo with salad.
Supper was a lamb chump chop and roasted veg.
A half bottle of red, disappointing prefer gin these days, and some very good carb free baked cheese snacks from The Serious Pig (no SOH I suppose!).
Today Sunday have boiled a small piece of gammon so that will be supper with eggs and chips for Mr PM, some form of eggs for me.
Lunch was a small cheese salad and brekkie was the same as yesterday.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG was 9.8 so the new insulin isn't working as well as it seemed to at first. At least it's still in single figures.

Brunch - Made a couple of fritters with a little waterchestnut flour and chopped up heart, some onion, garlic and mushrooms - and egg, of course. Carbs - not much (just 1 tbsp of the w/chestnut flour) and not too many calories either, I imagine.

2nd meal will be some of the ox cheek and some cabbage. No further cooking needed - it's all ready to go. Again, only carbs will be in the cabbage. Calories can't amount to very much.

No idea what the total calories and carbs will be. I have no way of working it out.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Chaffle making today Ive posted below if anyone wants to make them.
Chaffles

To make 10 Chaffles - 2 gram of carb per chaffle approx

Heat up the waffle maker – I use a non-stick electric one

Meanwhile measure out into a bowl:

250g of full fat cream cheese

120g of Almond Flour

4 eggs

3 teaspoons of Psyllium Husk

1 and a half teaspoons of Baking Powder

Using electric whisk - whisk up until all well mixed.

Leave to stand a few mins the PH will thicken it up.

Use a tablespoon to get right amount of chaffle mix – should do 10 waffles without stinting.

Drop the spoonful of mix into the maker – cook for 2.30 mins as re-heating later.

As each one cooks take it out and put to cool on the cooling tray. They can then be frozen for later use and reheating. I put kitchen towel between to keep separate.

For lunch I made with four of them into a couple of toasties for our lunch. Mixed grated cheese with some salami, mustard, salt and pepper and used a a filling. made a sandwich with a smear of butter on outside of 'toasties' and fried for a few mins whilst cheese melted inside - wonderful.

Rest frozen for future use - will be doing a lasagne whilst mum here next week so mainly using as substitute pasta sheets as they work quite well. Also some frozen to use as toasties or toasted with breakfast. Also just made some choc truffles will put these and how to make them on next!!
IMG_8738.JPG
IMG_8737.JPG

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
IMG_8740.JPG
https://iwdu.co.uk/no-added-sugar-chocolate-truffles-2/

Saw this chocolate truffles idea on the' it wont diabeatus site' so as it mentioned Montezumas bars and I happened to have one with almonds in the fridge which I find a bit bitter - I love the mint and the orange oil Absolute Black bars but the Almond - maybe its the nuts - is less enjoyable to turning it into truffles sounded a good idea. Posted a picture of them just about to go into freezer!
I adapted the recipe to suit me using the 100 percent bar with Almonds. I also used powdered eyrithritol and vanilla flavouring as nuts in the choc. I also tipped the mix onto a silicone tray dusted with Lidl cocaa powder (lowest carb one on offer - 8.8 per 100g)) divided mix up into 26 small blobs and put them into little petit four cases I happen to have in cupboard as easier I thought to freeze and take out to eat! The Bar of choc was 8g of carb, I used about 20 grams of cocoa powder so 2 grams at most so whole lot comes in at 10g of carb - so each choc is 0.38g of carb so could justify two in a portion!!! Edit didnt add in the cream to carb count but only a small amount so maybe need to count each cho as about 0.5g of carb. May need to taste one in a few mins with my cup of tea - they should be set! Edit - they are delicious and just added another photo of them packed into smaller portion boxes to keep in freezer for future treats!
IMG_8739.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ann B & @Chook - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at your old christmas dinner stories - they were great :happy: - I can only eat cooked chicken as it puts me off it cooking it from raw (just me) so I wouldn't have survived in the bad old days eh. I remember when I first got married also I thought I was wife of the year when I cooked chicken *** au van from raw and then I couldn't eat it - my hubby got the lot. I was also the same with frozen mince if I see the blood sitting on the top I can't eat it (he got all the mince too!)

Gold star to @shelley262 on all your home cooking/baking - it looks fab - my mouth is watering while I am waiting on my Morrisons food delivery to arrive any time soon. Great idea for the almond chocolate if I don't like it too much and also great idea as substitute for pasta as I used to love lasagna.

Brunch - slices of corned beef and large mug of earl grey and double cream.
Dinner will be - cooked chicken drumsticks with nandos garlic piri pir sauce and a side salad and may be SF jelly and double cream or couple of squares of lindtt 90% dark chocolate.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Lovely day out at Kew Gardens today. Sun in and out, and one very brief spot of light rain, but managed most of the day in shorts and t-shirt.

Met a friend who lives nearby for a post gardens Thames towpath walk to Richmond and lunch in Five Guys. Bunless bacon cheeseburger with grilled onions and a touch of mayonnaise. The delicious ice cream/chocolate shop in Richmond was open, but had a queue so I swerved it.

Just eaten a dinner of leftover lamb from yesterday, pickled onions and a chunk of cheese.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to post yesterday’s food.
B: None
L: chicken tarragon mustard in white wine
D: cheese, matterson’s sausage chunks and garlic pickle

Today
B: Took a LC hot choc to park, in thermos, and enjoyed it on a park bench. Dog treats and games all round. Mr B had a coffee. The Park cafe Is back open, takeaways through the hatch, but their drinks are pretty dire, so we may not resurrect that tradition...
L: mexican mince, in lodough, with smears of (bought) guacamole, salsa and sour cream. Tragically forgot the cheese :( will add that next time. there are lots of leftovers :hungry:
D: probably not necessary!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all busy low carb cooking day but planned to build it into my eating plans so worked better!
Lunch toastie - cheese and garlic sausage - made with chaffles I cooked this morning.
Mid pm two lc home made truffles - for testing of course!
Dinner beef casserole- slow cooked during day and made with beef I had in freezer from our local community farm it’s dexter grass fed cattle and quite fatty but delicious - had with roasted celeriac and glass of red wine followed by sf jelly and cream. Just had decaff coffee with one more of my new truffles unfortunately they are rather nice! OH likes them too so they won’t last long! Good job they are so lowcarb.
I seem to be getting into a good routine of exercising first thing in the morning rather than eating breakfast and at the moment hoping to carry on in this direction. Major birthdays looming always make you review your fitness levels and my next one is in a week and a half!
@Mrs T 123 thank you for the gold star - I seem to batch bake less often these days than I used to but motivated by my mum coming to stay with us in a week. She’s 89 and likes her food but , like me, likes to keep her sugars lower and her weight stable if possible. Eating low carb - think she is on about 80/90g of carb a day having small amounts of bread and potatoes and a few medium carb veggies, so not keto like me but suits her and she happily motors along on this regime.
@DJC3 are you due to go to London this coming week or is it following week? Will be thinking of you.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Shelly262 another gold star from me for all your low carb goodies. I gave away my chaffle maker but I guess these would work as well in a frying pan? Just not so pretty. Those truffles look gorgeous too, good idea to get them into the freezer ASAP.
Yes London looms! Thanks for asking, We are off on Wed and back Fri ( I’m hoping this explains my skyrocketing fbgs)
Today I had DD breakfast sandwich around 10am. Went out for a lovely woodland walk with Dennis and family. Bit of drama when Dennis legged it to play with 2 Staffies he spotted the other side of the river: he hates water but ran through it to get to them without thinking, then panicked and didn’t know what to do. Daughter had to wade across and rescue him (it wasn’t deep) he was back on the lead in disgrace afterwards.
We had lunch from the cafe there - served through the hatch, and eaten sitting on a log. Cheeseburger in lettuce wrap. It was huge and it will see me through til tomorrow, too late to eat more now but I am enjoying a peaceful glass of red.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb