What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back home this afternoon til the weekend, so looking forward to my coconut ‘porridge’ for breakfast tomorrow :)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevenses: black coffee with salted caramel phd bar
Lunch: Babybels followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC granola.
Dinner: gammon steak and roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Gosh, @Rachox . That's a brutal regime you have set yourselves.

How is your Mum, and any sight of being able to stretch the visits out to have a bit longer between them?

Who rescues the rescuer?

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gosh, @Rachox . That's a brutal regime you have set yourselves.

How is your Mum, and any sight of being able to stretch the visits out to have a bit longer between them?

Who rescues the rescuer?
Yup, the ends in sight, mums plaster comes off her arm soon, so then I’ll just be visiting alternate weekends

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm struggling to keep my BGs under 10 at the moment, didn't manage it at all yesterday. Not sure why - I feel fine. :shifty: :banghead:

Breakfast: sadly no scrambled eggs or omelettes this week as Asda delivered my double cream on its sell by date so refund applied for and received. So today I had some really disappointing fried eggs on Burgen toast.

Dinner: baked camembert with roasted cauliflower and broccoli

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm struggling to keep my BGs under 10 at the moment, didn't manage it at all yesterday. Not sure why - I feel fine. :shifty: :banghead:

Breakfast: sadly no scrambled eggs or omelettes this week as Asda delivered my double cream on its sell by date so refund applied for and received. So today I had some really disappointing fried eggs on Burgen toast.

My BG is back to its normal tricks as well. FBG 12.3, BG about 2 pm 13.5. Don't think I bent the rules by too much, and I put the new insulin up by 2 points to try to keep it low.

Had egg mayo for breakfast. Thought "What the heck, it's high anyway" and had 2 crispbreads with it. (Also took extra insulin before eating).

Had a pretty large chicken thigh just after 2 pm after more extra insulin. Right now, it's 7.1, which is surprising. Shouldn't really eat anything else today, but I suspect I might because I am hungry.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So thrilled - got my first proper haircut since COVID today - OH has kept it reasonable but great to get the hairdresser treatment including a very relaxing head massage!
@Rachox agree with @DCUKMod make sure you look after you too - but sounds like positive news re your mums plaster cast.
Also a first today as a new member of our my drs surgery PPG group via Zoom.
Lunch egg fried in smear of butter on slice of LC toast
Dinner Cajun chicken with tomato and Corriander salsa and coleslaw with glass of soda water with dash of dry white. Just about to have decaff coffee with one lc truffle

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't told you what I've eaten the last two days because I've been experimenting with a bit more carbs in my evening meals. To be precise, I've had ready made seasoned potato wedges from Lidl at 23 grams of carbs a portion with mayonnaise and lots of oven baked veggies and Turkish sucuc sausage. The veggies and sucuc spent 20 minutes in the oven, the potatoes about 50 minutes.
It still adds up to a fairly low carb meal, but way more carbs than I usually eat (unless you count the occasional Chinese take-away day, that is).
Eating low carb makes life a lot easier, and supposedly it keeps me from getting even fatter than I already am, both good things!
On the other hand, I don't want to completely lose touch on getting my insulin right when sharing higher carb meals with other people, so I figured I could use the practice, now sharing meals with people has been reduced to a minimum for months. Practising every once in a while decreases my anxiety on dosing when I'm invited for dinner.
And besides, I really enjoyed the rare treat! :hungry:

I'll be back later this week, as I bought a burrata cheese at Lidl, and I plan something very delicious and low carb with it!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Me too! Dinner this evening. Thank you so much for this suggestion, I loved it.
Lunch was salad of roast beef and turkey from butcher’s with his h/m coleslaw plus avocado, lettuce dill pickle and a couple of santini tomatoes.
I also bought a Swiss roll from the butcher - a local baker supplies him with a few cakes and as my granddaughters were round at lunchtime I thought they’d like it. They did, but the 7yo who has a knack of pairing very unlikely food decided to save a couple of slices of her hard boiled egg she’d had for lunch and top her Swiss roll with them . I thought nothing could be worse than her previous experiment dipping Soreen Malt loaf in hummus but I was wrong!

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Me too! Dinner this evening. Thank you so much for this suggestion, I loved it.
Lunch was salad of roast beef and turkey from butcher’s with his h/m coleslaw plus avocado, lettuce dill pickle and a couple of santini tomatoes.
I also bought a Swiss roll from the butcher - a local baker supplies him with a few cakes and as my granddaughters were round at lunchtime I thought they’d like it. They did, but the 7yo who has a knack of pairing very unlikely food decided to save a couple of slices of her hard boiled egg she’d had for lunch and top her Swiss roll with them . I thought nothing could be worse than her previous experiment dipping Soreen Malt loaf in hummus but I was wrong!

I'm glad you liked it! :):):)

Maybe you have to be 7y/o or Heston Blumenthal to appreciate those kinds of food combinations. :hungover:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad you liked it! :):):)

Maybe you have to be 7y/o or Heston Blumenthal to appreciate those kinds of food combinations. :hungover:

,,,,Or a Letitia Cropley. She'd be more fun, in my view.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar
Late Lunch, well hardly lunch! Went shopping with my daughter in the city centre, first time since lockdown, suitably quiet and the city council have done a great job creating one way routes around the centre with good clear signage. Anyway stopped at Nero’s had a coconut cappuccino and some pork scratchings I had in my bag!
Dinner: cheese and tomato omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - f/f greek yoghurt with berries and double cream drizzled over the top. cup of earl grey with double cream.

Dinner - salmon with mozzarella, pesto and tomato covered with hollandaise sauce with a large side salad and a large dollop of cheese coleslaw. Oh and 1 mini dark chocolate egg with peanut butter, I appreciate your recommendation @Goonergal , washed down with extra thick double cream.

I went for a long walk tonight with hubby as it was such a nice night - we went to a loch and on the way there we saw a deer - not too exciting - not like your snake and spider stories ladies.

Happy haircut @shelley262 - I bet you feel a million dollars - I know I did when I eventually got my hair cut and coloured :happy:

Virtual hug to @maglil55 for all your stresses just now.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just catching up.

@DJC3 your grand daughter sounds like me at a young age. Pickled onion and chocolate spread sandwich anyone?

Glad you liked the eggs @Mrs T 123

How do they compare both taste,nutrition and price with the posh ones?

In terms of carbs, pretty similar. Taste of the Posh ones is slightly milder and texture a bit lighter. More expensive. See screen shot of back of posh pack vs Sainsbury’s breakdown of the others.

On to food.

Yesterday was 100% choc peanut butter eggs as snacks in the morning.

Lunch was lamb ribs rubbed with salt and chilli oil and air fried.

Dinner was 2 pork belly strips chopped into chunks and air fried. With a dessert ordered from a local keto bakery. The shop has shut down but they are now doing orders for collection - about 1.5 miles from me. Bonus, my order was late so they delivered in person for free. Triple chocolate heart with a bit of cream.

Off out for my early morning walk now.

1019D3B2-6D14-47A0-AD98-764A4C5DE6B4.jpeg
1D8101BB-32C9-4448-BBBE-F6BF2B12A9F6.jpeg
BFA93FB3-49F7-42D4-9BBB-5764E3BB4338.jpeg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All
Yesterday had my usual breakfast of slice HiLo toast, butter and lots tea.
Lunch was mixed salad with Blue Shropshire crumbled over the top.
Supper was odd, due a fortnightly shop tomo. 3 high meat sausages and leftover broccoli. 3 strawberries.
Today same breakfast.
Lunch will be the same salad with who knows what protein added.
Supper will be Bolognese with courgetti.
There may be a snifter or orange gin & soda beforehand.
I know my menu is very dull compared to others but I am so enjoying eating my homegrown lettuce, tomatoes, radishes and spring onions. My baby cukes are looking promising too, now that would be a miracle since they are outside.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Went to pick courgettes for dinner this evening and found something has already been munching them (not dogs, they don't like raw courgette). So, no courgettes for dinner. :arghh:

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered HiLo soldiers
Lunch: realised last night that my BGs have risen since I started skipping lunch. I obviously need to re-think this.
Dinner: roast aubergine and halloumi and Aldi black bean spaghetti (1.6g carbs per 100g) with Sacla black olive pesto - the black bean spaghetti is a bit of an acquired taste but I'm getting there!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 11.3! Not winning this one. Probably need to add to the insulin after all.

Brunch was strips of roasted lamb neck with gravy.

Dinner might be cold chicken, or it might be some berries with yoghurt. Can't decide, but I think I've probably had enough chicken for a day or so and I rather fancy the idea of a berry salad.

Spent the morning getting everything off the floor for my cleaning lady to come and give my floors a thorough clean (I haven't been making a very good job of it myself). She just phoned to say she can't make it until Friday now. So that was a waste of time and energy. Still, I've found a few more things to throw out while I was at it, so it can't be bad.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did I do yesterday's food? Am losing the plot... sorry if this is a repeat.

Yesterday
B: Bovril and LC hot choc
L: think I forgot to eat
D: chicken breast in honey mustard mayo. Rather strong. Which was lovely, but actually made me cough. lol. so will dilute with a bit more mayo next time

Today
B: Bovril and a LC hot choc
L: 6 cherries spread over 2 hours, and a chunk of vintage cheddar
D: will be the turkey mince in the orange, balsamic vinegar thing from the LC cook book. Going to be interesting...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must not buy any more meat. Repeat. I must not buy any more meat.

When you pop out to the post office and return with 2kgs of lamb neck, 4 Barnsley chops and 1kg of chicken wings and the freezer is already full :D Tetris duly completed and fridge also well stocked.

Had cake for breakfast - with yesterday’s bakery delivery came a free Orange brownie - less than 1g carbs. Pretty good with some clotted cream.

Lunch was a few small chicken wings salted and coated with chilli oil followed by another of the chocolate cakes delivered yesterday with clotted cream (last of the cakes).

Dinner will be mince fried with eggs and onion.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been sorting stuff out and found the diet sheet given to me by the local dietician who works with the diabetes clinic and was horrified to think I actually tried to eat it. It is actually at least twice what I would normally eat and contains much too much carb (she disagrees with low carb diets). Just to let you all see what was officially recommended as a diet designed specifically for me, I am going to copy it here:

BREAKFASTS

One of -

• 2 oz breakfast cereal + 150 ml semi-skimmed milk + 1 small banana
  • 3 tbsp porridge made with 200 ml semi-skimmed milk + 1 med slice wholemeal bread with margarine and jam or marmalade
  • 2 med slices wholemeal toast, margarine + 150 ml orange or pineapple juice
  • 2 small rashers grilled bacon, 1 slice wholemeal toast, 1 grilled tomato
  • 1 sliced banana (or other fresh or tined fruit), 1 small pot nat yoghurt
  • 2 slices wholemeal bread and margarine, 4 thin slices ham or turkey
LIGHT MEALS

One of -
  • 2 medium slices wholemeal toast and margarine + 1 small can baked beans
  • 2 medium slices wholemeal bread + 2oz cream cheese or 1 oz cheddar + mixed salad
  • 6 oz baked potato + 4 oz cottage cheese OR 1 small can baked beans + ½ oz grated cheddar
  • 2 slices wholemeal bread + 100g pilchards in tomato sauce + 2 sliced tomatoes
  • 2 slices wholemeal bread + margarine, 100 g tuna or smoked makcerel + mixed salad
  • 2 egg omelette (mushroom, tomato, cheese or ham filling) + 1 slice wholemeal toast
  • 1 large ladle lentil soup or scotch broth + 1 wholemeal rolll + 2 slices cold ham or turkey
  • 3 tbsp breakfast cereal + 150 ml semi-skimmed milk + 1 small banana

MAIN MEALS

One of -
  • 100 g roast chicken/beef/pork + green beans, carrots 3 – 4 egg sized potatoes, 2 tbsp gravy
  • 150 g boiled pasta + 150 g pasta sauce + mixed salad
  • 100 g cauliflower + 50 g cheese sauce, garden peas, grilled tomato + 2 slices wholemeal toast
  • 100 g lean pork chops, cabbage, carrots, 150 g mashed potatoes, 2 tbsp gravy
  • 150 g grilled steak, 100 g baked new potatoes, mixed salad/vegetables
  • 4 grilled fish fingers, 100 g baked beans, 75 g oven chips
  • 150 g slice of pizza, mixed salad
  • 75 g chicken fillet, cut into strips, stir fried in 1 tbsp oil, add mixed chopped vegetables + 1 tbsp soya sauce with 100 g boiled rice
  • 100 g gammon steak, grilled, 1 pineapple slice, 150 g mashed potato, 2 tbsp canned sweetcorn and 1 other vegetable
SNACKS

2 of -
  • 1 small pkt nuts or dried fruit
  • 1 slice bread or toast with butter and jam or peanut butter or cream cheese
  • 125 g pot diet yoghurt
  • 1 bowl breakfast cereal + 200 ml semi-skimmed milk
  • 1 mug diet hot chocolate
  • 1 digestive or 2 rich tea biscuits
  • 1 pot (150 g) custard or rice pudding
  • small bowl fruit salad (bananas, grapes, apple in orange juice)
  • 1 scone or pancake with butter + jam or cream cheese
  • 1 mug soup (cuppa soup , tinned or home made)
  • 2 medium sized oatcakes with 1 oz cheddar cheese
Every item in the diet sheet is carb heavy. How can anyone think that is healthy, never mind weight reducing. It is actually far more carbs than I could eat and quite a few more calories, I imagine.

Is it any wonder I gave up on that fairly rapidly?

Anyway, today's food - I am giving the chicken a bye and having berries with greek yoghurt. Probably in about an hour.