What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Oh Chook - That must be disappointing about your appointment.

If you have access to your medical records, there may be more context on there. I can see emails and letters between the hospital and surgery/referring GP, as well as my own letters I receive directly.

I wonder if there's anything on there.

I'm waiting for a post-clinic letter from an appointment a couple of weeks ago. I should receive my own directly, but can't resist a peep on my record to see if anything has appeared there.

I'm not very good at waiting. :(

I'm not very good at waiting either so i phoned my GP to find out what the problem is and he already knew - basically Its a covid problem - that hospital isn't taking any new referrals because there aren't enough fit staff. He's referred a few other people there who have all received the same letter. He's looking into seeing if any other reasonably local hospital is in a better position.

The only problem with that idea is that this was a sort of second opinion situation when I specifically asked to be referred to one particular consultant who had been highly recommended to me. The person I normally see at another hospital is completely useless - just tells me to take Tramadol.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not very good at waiting either so i phoned my GP to find out what the problem is and he already knew - basically Its a covid problem - that hospital isn't taking any new referrals because there aren't enough fit staff. He's referred a few other people there who have all received the same letter. He's looking into seeing if any other reasonably local hospital is in a better position.

The only problem with that idea is that this was a sort of second opinion situation when I specifically asked to be referred to one particular consultant who had been highly recommended to me. The person I normally see at another hospital is completely useless - just tells me to take Tramadol.

Sorry to hear about your cancelled appointment. We're still waiting for clinics to start up again - all cancelled after the start of the covid thing. But they should have told you why. At least our local hospital is offering telephone consultations.

BG is pretty bad today - started off with 12.5 and still rising.

Meant to have avocado for breakfast, but the 2 that were bought 2 weeks ago are STILL not ripe, so decided to have soft cheese and RyVita instead. Then added a peach that was getting a bit soft.

I made the mistake of thinking that BG was high anyway, so it wouldn't do too much harm if I had a biscuit about 2 pm with a cup of coffee. BG currently 16.3! So, I guess it did.

I have some cold chicken and some salami in the fridge, so that will help a bit, with my, still empty stomach, I should think, as long as I take a large dose of insulin. Not sure what the connection is between high BG and hunger. Bit of a chicken and egg situation, I think.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
@DCUKMod and @Chook sorry to hear about the crowded hospital and especially cancelled apppointment, Our experience in the big Portsmouth hospital last Friday couldnt be more different. Mr PM referred from GP within 48 hours for investigations into bad migraines, variable sight, hearing. When we arrived at the car park for our 2pm appointment the car park was less than a quarter full. The plan was for me the driver to wait in the car. After 5 hours I got a text that they had done two rafts of tests and he was awaiting a brain scan. The inside of the hospital was empty (and it was visiting time so I wonder if visiting is suspended, and only the patient allowed to present in outpatients. Usually that place is as busy as a small city! After a 7 hour outing Mr PM was discharged with no serious issues.
Anyway to food
Today breakfast usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch small plate Emmenthal spoon cheesey coleslaw and 3 cherry toms.
Supper will be chunky fish fingers with broccoli.
Nearly the weekend so a Blood Orange gin & soda.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick entry - friends coming over at 7 for cheese and wine evening so both items will feature later!
Managed OMAD but did struggle at lunchtime and gave into a handful of salted almonds whilst cooking my one meal although will be technically two meals by end of day! I just wanted to stick to my time restricted eating so moved it on a bit. Back to my normal times tomorrow.
Frittata with ham and cheese and mushrooms with a bit of garlic sausage and salads - probably because of the nuts could not eat the whole of my half of the frittata so popped rest in fridge for lunch tomorrow. My delivery today from Ocado included some hAlf price offer OPPO ice cream I’d given into - so was tempted and had a couple of spooons with cream delicious.
I’m so excited my pool picked up the phone eventually and I’m booked for a swim at 8am tomorrow so looking forward to it. Will be odd with new rules and no shower and there will probably be more chlorine than normal but wonderful feeling. Love swimming.
EDIT lovely evening with friends one glass each of red and white wine, range of cheese, Lc hm seeded crackers and a few more salted almonds!

Last edited:

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I love swimming too but our pool will remain closed until September.
I have just had today's OMAD of sea bass and tuna and my 4th pint of water. May have a decaf coffee later.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
@DCUKMod and @Chook sorry to hear about the crowded hospital and especially cancelled apppointment, Our experience in the big Portsmouth hospital last Friday couldnt be more different. Mr PM referred from GP within 48 hours for investigations into bad migraines, variable sight, hearing. When we arrived at the car park for our 2pm appointment the car park was less than a quarter full. The plan was for me the driver to wait in the car. After 5 hours I got a text that they had done two rafts of tests and he was awaiting a brain scan. The inside of the hospital was empty (and it was visiting time so I wonder if visiting is suspended, and only the patient allowed to present in outpatients. Usually that place is as busy as a small city! After a 7 hour outing Mr PM was discharged with no serious issues.
Anyway to food
Today breakfast usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch small plate Emmenthal spoon cheesey coleslaw and 3 cherry toms.
Supper will be chunky fish fingers with broccoli.
Nearly the weekend so a Blood Orange gin & soda.

Glad to hear that Mr PM was given good news at the hospital. Has there been any information on what IS wrong as well as what ISN'T?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That's tricky, when it's a named referral. I guess you'll be weighing things up for a day or two. Or if you're very like me, having a grumpy sulk for a bit.

Does the person you want to see have a private practise? Sometimes it's worth the money to get it done.

I know when I saw the Endo I now see on the NHS, privately, he was pretty clear about that being a stepping stone to his NHS clinic. As it transpired, there was a hiatus between one and the other - neither his fault nor mine.

When I saw him privately, he even asked my GP to run all the tests he wanted done - there were over 30 of them. She was fine about it.

For me, the cash was worth it.

Oh, and as far as food is concerned, we just had some delightful lamb chump. Yay!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's my burrata dish, very yummy!

Oven baked tomato slices and mushrooms, lukewarm snow peas, a raw onion, some sundried tomatoes in oil, salt, pepper, little bit of balsamic vinegar and half of the burrata :hungry:.

116426755_10221457324416867_2649553502765197952_o.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All

B: LC hot choc, no Bovril today.
L: tidying up the fridge; cheese n ham rollups with some mozzarella blobs in pesto
D: chicken breast in honey mustard mayo. May have some goatsmilk yog later :D

day off tomorrow. Hoping the weather holds. The weeds have loved the recent rain, and I need to decimate them asap!

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Peanut phd bar.
No lunch again, nurses pre op appt today. Amongst a load of other questions, she asked if I had any food allergies, I said carbohydrates!
Snack of M&S crispy bacon strips when I got home.
Dinner: chilli with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Peanut phd bar.
No lunch again, nurses pre op appt today. Amongst a load of other questions, she asked if I had any food allergies, I said carbohydrates!
Snack of M&S crispy bacon strips when I got home.
Dinner: chilli with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Funny for your carb allergy I’ll remember that one!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your good wishes for the appointment yesterday folks. Very much appreciated and I’m very happy to report I have another 6 months reprieve. I saw the same doc as last time who extolled the virtues of a ketogenic diet for everything including cancer prevention. She’s been doing it for a year and looked noticeably trimmer than last time I saw her. We talked more about Keto than my scan result I think!
To jump into the conversation by @Rachox and @DCUKMod the Royal Marsden was very quiet inside. No visitors are allowed except in palliative care and children’s wards. Like Rachox said I guess it’s because it’s specifically a cancer hospital not a general Hosp. It was certainly daunting going to the appointment without a hand to hold.
On to yesterday’s food.
Nothing except black coffee in the morning.
Lunch a cobb salad ( chicken, bacon, cheese, egg, avocado, lettuce, tomato) all cut into tiny dice. Had mayo and olive oil rather than the dressing.
Early evening shared a bottle of champagne. Woohoo!
Dinner at a Lebanese place. Olives first, then Some kind of chicken kebab and salad. A couple of very tasty dips/ dressings. One very garlicky the other very hot and spicy. Glass of red with it.
Setting off home in a few minutes. Have coffee at the moment and will stop at M&S en route for lunch picnic.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your good wishes for the appointment yesterday folks. Very much appreciated and I’m very happy to report I have another 6 months reprieve. I saw the same doc as last time who extolled the virtues of a ketogenic diet for everything including cancer prevention. She’s been doing it for a year and looked noticeably trimmer than last time I saw her. We talked more about Keto than my scan result I think!
To jump into the conversation by @Rachox and @DCUKMod the Royal Marsden was very quiet inside. No visitors are allowed except in palliative care and children’s wards. Like Rachox said I guess it’s because it’s specifically a cancer hospital not a general Hosp. It was certainly daunting going to the appointment without a hand to hold.
On to yesterday’s food.
Nothing except black coffee in the morning.
Lunch a cobb salad ( chicken, bacon, cheese, egg, avocado, lettuce, tomato) all cut into tiny dice. Had mayo and olive oil rather than the dressing.
Early evening shared a bottle of champagne. Woohoo!
Dinner at a Lebanese place. Olives first, then Some kind of chicken kebab and salad. A couple of very tasty dips/ dressings. One very garlicky the other very hot and spicy. Glass of red with it.
Setting off home in a few minutes. Have coffee at the moment and will stop at M&S en route for lunch picnic.

Truly wonderful news on the scan DJC3, and your dinner didn't half sound delicious too.

I'm currently plotting what flavours my air fried chicken will be endowed with this evening. As it's easy, and I'm lazy, I think I'll knock a double batch of this marinade up, and freeze the rest. It freezes very well, and works with all manner of carriers.

https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/2609649-tandoori-lamb-chops

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast 2xCWC, nut granola. I seem to have gone off eating more at breakfast. May be it's the hot weather, or is this contributing to the sometimes out of control snacking later in the day?
Lunch out:
I don't fancy the Plat du Jour. And it was high carb. So spotted a tasty looking dish on another table and said I'll have that. Asked for ham salad, most places do that. So what I got was:
Salade de Gesiers (chicken gizzards) which I quite enjoyed, MrSlim said it was disgusting.
Jambonette avec salade: a ham hock with cider sauce, scraped that off, seemed to be mostly cornstarch and sugar. Big pile of lettuce with dessing.
Dessert Fromage Blanc with raspberry Coulis? Sauce? Cômpote? Wasn't too sweet. Ate the lot. Meal had been low carb with water to drink.
Fromage blanc is yogurt a little further towards cheese.
Later glass of wine and another of water.
When we got home shared a bottle of rosé had snacks cheese for me, bread and cheese for him. Another bottle of wine was shared, Then I had chorizo melt, and because it was so tasty ate the other one as well. No wonder i have been putting on weight and having higher than i would like BG.
This is me getting back on track. Really?

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad to hear that Mr PM was given good news at the hospital. Has there been any information on what IS wrong as well as what ISN'T?
Thanks Ann we were so relieved. They assume it is migraine and if it gets worse go to GP for meds currently taking paracetemol. A friend on zoom said one paracetemol, one ibuprofen taken with caffeine really works. The thing is he had summer migraines before but not for many years but he is asthmatic and also gets really bad hayfever and takes pills for that all through the season so dont know if thats a factor.
On to food so as not to derail. Very high FBG today which always spoils the day so had smaller bit of HiLo toast, lots of tea. Dont know if I can skip lunch but will probs have a very small bit of something, cheese or egg. Supper will be panfried cod with a few scallops and broccoli. Usual couple of orange gin & soda for that Friday feeling.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Truly wonderful news on the scan DJC3, and your dinner didn't half sound delicious too.

I'm currently plotting what flavours my air fried chicken will be endowed with this evening. As it's easy, and I'm lazy, I think I'll knock a double batch of this marinade up, and freeze the rest. It freezes very well, and works with all manner of carriers.

https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/2609649-tandoori-lamb-chops

Thank you. That is a super easy and delicious looking marinade. Duly added to CMT

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@DJC3 - congratulations on the result if your hospital visit xx
@SlimLizzy - great news that Mr Slim has returned

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup (blueberry and lavender)
Lunch: egg mayo on ryvita
Dinner: BBQ (too hot to cook indoors) - Linda McCartney burgers, cucumber salad from greenhouse and a courgettes / tomatoes / fennel (again from the garden) cooked over the BBQ in a foil try with butter and garlic

Wine will definitely be consumed

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast 2xCWC, nut granola. I seem to have gone off eating more at breakfast. May be it's the hot weather, or is this contributing to the sometimes out of control snacking later in the day?
Lunch out:
I don't fancy the Plat du Jour. And it was high carb. So spotted a tasty looking dish on another table and said I'll have that. Asked for ham salad, most places do that. So what I got was:
Salade de Gesiers (chicken gizzards) which I quite enjoyed, MrSlim said it was disgusting.
Jambonette avec salade: a ham hock with cider sauce, scraped that off, seemed to be mostly cornstarch and sugar. Big pile of lettuce with dessing.
Dessert Fromage Blanc with raspberry Coulis? Sauce? Cômpote? Wasn't too sweet. Ate the lot. Meal had been low carb with water to drink.
Fromage blanc is yogurt a little further towards cheese.
Later glass of wine and another of water.
When we got home shared a bottle of rosé had snacks cheese for me, bread and cheese for him. Another bottle of wine was shared, Then I had chorizo melt, and because it was so tasty ate the other one as well. No wonder i have been putting on weight and having higher than i would like BG.
This is me getting back on track. Really?

Glad to see that Mr Slim is home. That will be a relief for you, not to mention the jobs he can help with now.

Food - FBG high at 13.2, despite upping the basal dose last night, so just mugs of tea until 12.30 when I had 2 eggs scrambled with some double cream. BG before insulin and eating was 13.5. Still hungry, of course but will have to wait until later to have anything else. Probably chicken and mushrooms.

I'll also have to make some soup, using the stock from the roasted lamb but will have that tomorrow. Need to be careful about the veg content though.

Had a call from the GP surgery receptionist - they need a repeat sample - no explanation so either the first one wasn't done properly or they've found something that needs checking.

My cleaning lady came this morning, so the floors are all sparkling clean for a change. I got her to use the steamer - it was either that or bleach since I'm not too sure how the detergent we have deals with virus or bacteria. Turns out she also had a really bad cough back in January, but did not self isolate at any stage and continued doing her cleaning jobs. She is also a care worker for the local authority so who knows what she has been unintentionally spreading.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. A bit behind (again!).

Excellent news @DJC3 so pleased for you.

Struggling to remember yesterday’s food, except that there was a lot of it including too much almond butter/cream, 2 delicious Barnsley chops and some very disappointing lamb neck.

Today started with the remains of the almond butter/ cream before my early morning walk. Managed to get down onto some previously unexplored bits of the Thames riverbed and really enjoyed the morning sun. Lunch was a carnivore pizza topped with pepperoni, chorizo and Polish sausage. Unlikely to be anything else as still full and dealing with a very hot flat - peaked at 32.5 centigrade. Has dropped a couple of points now but cold drinks are a bigger priority than food.

Medichecks and optician’s visits tomorrow morning.