What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil the recipe is on my CMT if you want! They "ripen" stored airtight, and the erythritol bite disappears. They are quite dry-- not sure how to deal with that. Was the sprinkle of oat fiber too big?
I first met David Tennant in Doctor Who, and then he was in The Crown for (?)3 seasons. What's this show you're talking about?
@Annb your family is having a bad time of it healthwise-- hugs to all! Perhaps DIL can find a midwife just to comfort her along these next few weeks?
Heading over to the pet thread!
Thanks for that. I thought they looked good for dunking in tea or coffee. A cream cheese icing might be good too?
You've got the wrong "Doctor". Matt Smith was the Dr Who in the Crown. He followed David Tennant in Dr Who. This is quite a role for David Tennant in Des. Dennis Nilson was a particularly chilling serial killer over 5 years from about 1978 - 1983. Chilling in the fact he was so ordinary. It was his delivery when he talked about what he did that was jaw dropping. Google him and you'll see what I mean.

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum - my greenhouse tomatoes are still fruiting but not as much as previously although the black Russians are doing better than the beefsteak tomatoes. My outdoor grown in tubs tomatoes (swapped as seedlings from other gardeners) look very sorry for themselves but the big surprise is the feral cherry tomato plants that grew in and amongst other veg from tomatoes that self seeded last year - they are just starting to fruit and their flavour is by far the best. Next year I will get Mr C to hack back the raspberries a bit and grow loads more mangetout, fennel and kohlrabi.

LOL

I just had a conversation with the new DN. I'd completely forgotten how different our way of dealing with our diabetes is.

Note to self: NEVER, EVER tell a DN that you have fasted for four days, regularly skip meals and snacks and avoid carbs as much as possible...

You can probably guess the way the conversation went. :shifty:

Basically she can't suggest anything apart from insulin.
Sound advice unless you have one like my DN.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thanks for that. I thought they looked good for dunking in tea or coffee. A cream cheese icing might be good too?
You've got the wrong "Doctor". Matt Smith was the Dr Who in the Crown. He followed David Tennant in Dr Who. This is quite a role for David Tennant in Des. Dennis Nilson was a particularly chilling serial killer over 5 years from about 1978 - 1983. Chilling in the fact he was so ordinary. It was his delivery when he talked about what he did that was jaw dropping. Google him and you'll see what I mean.

I watched a different programme last night about Nilson (factual type prog) and someone who interviewed him several times after his arrest said Nilson said he knew what he had done was bad but he didn't understand why everyone was making such a fuss - and that if they hadn't managed to catch him after 15 he would have carried on and on to 150!

Reactions: maglil55

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:

B: Mug of coffee with 150 ml of almond milk, tsp of Splenda and 10 ml of double cream.
L: Roasted chicken breast, mozzarella, a tomato, 100g of bean salad and10g of light mayo. A pear and 20g of 90% chocolate.
Afternoon snack: An oatcake with 20g of St Augur.
Pre-supper: 10g of Walnuts and 20g of almonds, Pimm's and sugar-free lemonade (this bottle is nearly finished and I shan't buy another.)
Supper: Prawn salad, raspberries and 2% Greek yoghurt, 2 chocolates. :oops:
Late night munchies: Quorn 'ham'.

About 80g of carbs.

Do you all work on absolute carbs or net carbs, which I believe deducts the grams of fibre you've had?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb all the best for tomorrow, will be thinking of you!
@PenguinMum what a garden you've had! I have high hopes for a few things next spring...would be first attempt in at least 10 years. I planted some squash an pumpkins, and something ate them. No idea. Possums? We lived in a house that had a fig tree long ago. Got about two figs per year lol.
@Chook we call them volunteer cherry tomatoes, and yes, they are the sweetest,, with the best "back-bite". And arrgghh with your new DN
@maglil55 I hope you can keep on with your physio, sounds like it's very beneficial. Oops re which Doctor was Who. Well, they were both great! I will look up Dennis Nilson. Sounds like a true psychopath.
@Mauriac net carbs. It took me a while to figure out how anybody could eat all this food around here and come in under 20, or 10! Lol
Breakfast took several hours because of getting up crack of dawn and getting to grandbaby's house before 7:30 (I know, maglil, I know, you do this blindfolded and one hand tied behind your back lol). Total was2 boiled eggs, pecan guacamole (guess away!), flax crisps/dilute soymilk, a corner of ginger cookie
Lunch I missed the chicken opportunity, ate more pecans
Supper who knows but there will be spinach/hm dressing and flax crisps/dilute soymilk.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs to all who are facing health issues, bgs rising for no understandable cause and/or pet or family worries. I love this thread and feel like you are all friends who give me insights into their lives and put my concerns/issues into perspective.
Caring got complex today but it has been harder for a few weeks now hence I’m really working on my stress management doing more meditation and exercise - they do help me big time so I’m determined to keep going. I’m in it for the long haul....
Early morning swimming very enjoyable - booked for tomorrow too.
Lunch one slice of bacon, two eggs and half a buttered toasted chaffle followed by a few pieces of 100% montezumas choc with orange oil
Mid pm a handful of mixed nuts eaten in response to stress rather than hunger!
Dinner herb and lemon chicken with salads followed by SF jelly a few raspberries and spoon of yoghurt and cream
Now off out for a stroll busy day ahead tomorrow including a Zoom meeting at 10 so will need to rush back for shower etc after my swim I just managed it on Monday so know it’s doable!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hugs to all who are facing health issues, bgs rising for no understandable cause and/or pet or family worries. I love this thread and feel like you are all friends who give me insights into their lives and put my concerns/issues into perspective.
Caring got complex today but it has been harder for a few weeks now hence I’m really working on my stress management doing more meditation and exercise - they do help me big time so I’m determined to keep going. I’m in it for the long haul....
Early morning swimming very enjoyable - booked for tomorrow too.
Lunch one slice of bacon, two eggs and half a buttered toasted chaffle followed by a few pieces of 100% montezumas choc with orange oil
Mid pm a handful of mixed nuts eaten in response to stress rather than hunger!
Dinner herb and lemon chicken with salads followed by SF jelly a few raspberries and spoon of yoghurt and cream
Now off out for a stroll busy day ahead tomorrow including a Zoom meeting at 10 so will need to rush back for shower etc after my swim I just managed it on Monday so know it’s doable!

it's sad we have to choose one rating because I would have chosen agree, winner, hug and like for your post! xx

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I read "mince fried" as "fried mice"......
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
:hilarious:
@Goonergal -- Agree with you on working from home. I don't really do well with this either. Miss the interaction with students and with my colleagues. Alas, the university administration has decided on one more semester of this
Today some colleagues I wasn’t expecting to see turned up. It was so exciting to see people that I hadn’t seen in months. Hugs all round!
Note to self: NEVER, EVER tell a DN that you have fasted for four days, regularly skip meals and snacks and avoid carbs as much as possible...
Oops! Have you ever checked out the PHC’s list of doctors/health practitioners that use low carb/nutrition as part of their approach? There might be someone in your area and I believe some do remote consultations: https://phcuk.org/map/
@Goonergal - I'm in the same boat. No sign at all of my pool/gym reopening as it is impossible to do it economically.
Really want the pool to open!

A bit too much food again today. Unfortunately I’ve discovered that the Sainsbury’s near the new office is an Aladdin’s Cave - they stock the 90% Godiva, Montezuma’s 100% with orange and cocoa nibs, Lindt 90% and the sharing size of Serious Pig snacking cheese. Godiva and the snacking cheese was on today’s menu :D

Breakfast was Greek yoghurt and snacking cheese
Lunch was fried eggs, bacon and halloumi - different cafe today. Much nicer bacon, so will be going back there.
Dinner was air fried lamb ribs with chilli oil and salt. Yum.

The bar of Godiva slid down in between times.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit too much food again today. Unfortunately I’ve discovered that the Sainsbury’s near the new office is an Aladdin’s Cave - they stock the 90% Godiva, Montezuma’s 100% with orange and cocoa nibs, Lindt 90% and the sharing size of Serious Pig snacking cheese. Godiva
I don't want to be a country bumpkin any more:arghh:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Enjoy your tea "party" today. I hope all your family recover soon. Fingers crossed for you all.

The tea party was great fun and a good time was had by all. Neil kept his distance most of the time. I really have slowed down over the last while - it took me right up until 3.30 to get everything done. But it was worth it, even if I can't move for the moment for the pain in my legs and back.

I've been avoiding Metformin since Sunday, to prepare for the Endo/Sigmoid/oscopies and organising my week to fit in but I had a phone call this afternoon from the hospital cancelling the appointment. It has been moved to next Wednesday instead. So back on the Metformin until Sunday and cancel the blood test appointment until the following Monday. Apparently, somebody is in more urgent need than me. Fair enough. As long as I get it done some time soon.

Brunch was about noon and consisted of a few mouthfuls of egg mayo. I kind of grazed on bits and pieces of cheese, prosciutto as I prepared the mini quiches and after it was all over, the filling from 3 left over mini quiches. Lots of tea and glasses of water to keep me going.

Em and her brother went home with a "doggy bag (box)" of tarts, cakes and mini pizzas. Great grandchildren went home with a rather large box of a mixture of goodies for the family. They were pretty tired after running wild among the trees in the garden. One thing that worked very well was "Jammie Dodgers" topped with a glazed strawberry and chantilly cream. Very quick to do and quick to disappear. The one who ate most of them was Gr grandson who NEVER eats fruit or veg but today enjoyed the strawberries. Maybe a start. Was surprised to note how much weight Braidie has lost. He's still plump, but nowhere near as overweight as he was this time last year.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.8 FBG 6.5 - @zauberflote, not quite one arm behind my back! Trying to get two fussing boys over busy roads to the school is an acquired art! Hubby comes with me for the afternoon return journey as they are at opposite ends of the school. I have the advantage of picking them up at 8.30am. However, now DIL has reopened her clinic I also give her a lift there and back rather than let her take public transport. Nilson was as I said chilling. Kenneth Okendon (one of his many victims) was very chilling.
@Chook - what channel was the factual Nilson on?

B. TAG
L. Slice of skinny bread toasted ( made it yesterday) with pate.
D. Lidl noodle carbonara. Graham's Goodness Ice Cream & raspberries.

Spotted an interesting recipe on Diet Doctor. Lasagne made with that wafer thin chicken slices. I think that could work quite well.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The tea party was great fun and a good time was had by all. Neil kept his distance most of the time. I really have slowed down over the last while - it took me right up until 3.30 to get everything done. But it was worth it, even if I can't move for the moment for the pain in my legs and back.

I've been avoiding Metformin since Sunday, to prepare for the Endo/Sigmoid/oscopies and organising my week to fit in but I had a phone call this afternoon from the hospital cancelling the appointment. It has been moved to next Wednesday instead. So back on the Metformin until Sunday and cancel the blood test appointment until the following Monday. Apparently, somebody is in more urgent need than me. Fair enough. As long as I get it done some time soon.

Brunch was about noon and consisted of a few mouthfuls of egg mayo. I kind of grazed on bits and pieces of cheese, prosciutto as I prepared the mini quiches and after it was all over, the filling from 3 left over mini quiches. Lots of tea and glasses of water to keep me going.

Em and her brother went home with a "doggy bag (box)" of tarts, cakes and mini pizzas. Great grandchildren went home with a rather large box of a mixture of goodies for the family. They were pretty tired after running wild among the trees in the garden. One thing that worked very well was "Jammie Dodgers" topped with a glazed strawberry and chantilly cream. Very quick to do and quick to disappear. The one who ate most of them was Gr grandson who NEVER eats fruit or veg but today enjoyed the strawberries. Maybe a start. Was surprised to note how much weight Braidie has lost. He's still plump, but nowhere near as overweight as he was this time last year.
I was just about to wish you luck for tomorrow. Like was for the successful tea party certainly not for such a short notice cancellation. It's no consolation but a friend's brother was experiencing signs of a heart attack, GP's receptionist told her to take him to hospital in a taxi. She did, it was a heart attack and he's now on a 35 week waiting list to have a stent fitted. He's also been told another attack will be fatal. That's in Glasgow! It's not just the islands. I would be so upset in your position. Here's hoping next week happens without a hitch. xx

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bed 6.8 FBG 6.5 - @zauberflote, not quite one arm behind my back! Trying to get two fussing boys over busy roads to the school is an acquired art! Hubby comes with me for the afternoon return journey as they are at opposite ends of the school. I have the advantage of picking them up at 8.30am. However, now DIL has reopened her clinic I also give her a lift there and back rather than let her take public transport. Nilson was as I said chilling. Kenneth Okendon (one of his many victims) was very chilling.
@Chook - what channel was the factual Nilson on?

B. TAG
L. Slice of skinny bread toasted ( made it yesterday) with pate.
D. Lidl noodle carbonara. Graham's Goodness Ice Cream & raspberries.

Spotted an interesting recipe on Diet Doctor. Lasagne made with that wafer thin chicken slices. I think that could work quite well.

I think I downloaded it. It was called Dennis Nilsen: Britain's Most Evil Killers on Sky Crime Series 1 Episode 7 - it's available for download. :)

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the UK and Europe the fibre is listed separately from the carbs, so carbs on the package are net carbs.
Sorry to sound dim but I just want to be sure. If I buy something that says on the packet 10g of carbohydrate and 2g of fibre, I count it as 10g, not 8?
I can empathise. I took early retirement 9 years ago and it was a good thing as my partner started to developed severe osteoarthritis a few years after. It is now very severe and he also has balance problems and in May developed a problem with the sight in his right eye, which has since become severe. He is waiting for laser surgery (with no sign of anything happening). Consequently I have to do pretty much everything (although I'm certainly not complaining) which sometimes stresses me.

It's ridiculous really, when I think that mother managed a husband and two children and did all the shopping, cooking and cleaning and never seemed to break a sweat and I, doing less, get stressed. When I was working I had a demanding job and had to juggle far more things than I do now (which is mainly domestic tasks plus the usual personal admin). I also went out a lot more than I do now and did my share of the home tasks. Sometimes though, today was one, I feel it's all getting on top of me and I get totally stressed. Once I felt on top of things I felt ok.When did I become so hopeless?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
F07ADA70-26B9-460B-947A-867EF4B9ED97.jpeg
Third day of my holibobs :) Managed to walk over the often aimed for 10,000 steps today, first time since January. I think my foot ops are proving successful so far.
Anyway today’s food:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: sausages and a leafy salad followed by DGF orange and chocolate brownie with cream and LC Chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: coconut cappuccino and a Jaffa carb killa bar.
Dinner at Café Rouge: a deconstructed chicken fillet burger with a fried egg (no bun) with a side salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola once back at our lodge.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Haven’t read back on post yet but will do so later. Today has been a day of myriad minor frustrations. Started with my blood refusing to come out to play so couldn’t get HbA1c sent off.
Breakfast of zero carb scrambled eggs then sent my BG up from 6.5 to 7.0
Should maybe have fasted the rest of the day but the postman arrived mid morning with my latest order of DGF goodies and I was fed up so had a ginger cake and cup of coffee. It was lovely. Reminded me of a carrot cake I used to make, maybe Delia’s recipe? It was quite a ginger spiced cake anyway. I think these would be great with your cream cheese frosting @maglil55
Various other little irritating events, my lunchtime avocado refused to let go of its stone and I ended up with a green mess on my salad and tin of mackerel.
This evening was fathead pizza as grandchildren here and they like to help and decorate their own. I Realised 2 minutes after putting the bases in the oven that I’d forgotten to add the eggs so had to scrape them off the baking trays and mix the eggs in.
Having a glass of wine now, good thing there was only 1 glass left in the bottle.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb That's horrible for you as I get yourself psyched up for these things, plus you want to get the result so that you can 'move on'. I'm pleased that the party went well though and you all had a good time.