What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And back on topic: I've just had a cracker with butter and a lovely very mature hard cheese :hungry:.
Tonight I'm going out for dinner, so not a clue what I'll eat yet, and to what extent I'll avoid carbs. Update will follow :)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
We have just discovered that fuchsia berries are edible. We have lots of fuchsia bushes in the garden - they grow very well here. Neil is just harvesting some berries for me. We tasted a couple and they taste a bit like grapes - very thin grapes. Quite pleasant. Now I'm wondering how to use them - to make jam or jelly, or syrup requires sugar. Just wondering if I could just bottloe them in a less sugary liquid. Does anyone have a recipe, or experience?

We have also discovered that there is a fuchsia plant called fuchsia berry, and I'd like to try to get hold of some. At present can't find a supplier, but I'll keep looking.

Reactions: zauberflote

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
We have just discovered that fuchsia berries are edible. We have lots of fuchsia bushes in the garden - they grow very well here. Neil is just harvesting some berries for me. We tasted a couple and they taste a bit like grapes - very thin grapes. Quite pleasant. Now I'm wondering how to use them - to make jam or jelly, or syrup requires sugar. Just wondering if I could just bottloe them in a less sugary liquid. Does anyone have a recipe, or experience?

We have also discovered that there is a fuchsia plant called fuchsia berry, and I'd like to try to get hold of some. At present can't find a supplier, but I'll keep looking.

I had no idea - I always throw them away! How interesting!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Hey @ianpspurs good to see you!
@Annb I just found a simple syrup recipe with minkfruit- MONKFRUIT LOLOL-- one cup each of monkfruit and water, bring to boil, simmer 4-5 min until dissolved. You could but try!
Today hopes to be:
Bfast avocado, pecans, again scrambled eggs because nobody boiled any yesterday, 2 cherry tomatoes that looked a little squishy, <1/4 square Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Lunch maybe not?
Supper a dilemma.. barre class at 6:30 today so I do have to eat some of my supper at 4 or 5:00, and finish off after class.
No rain was forecast for today, but if that's not rain I'm hearing,,,,,,, hmmmmm

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@Annb I remember Clarnico Mint Creams. Did you also buy iced caramels with your pocket money. They were such pretty, pink and white cubes.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb I remember Clarnico Mint Creams. Did you also buy iced caramels with your pocket money. They were such pretty, pink and white cubes.

No, I never bought those. I didn't like caramel then. I did develop a taste for it later, but that's a distant memory now.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @ianpspurs good to see you!
@Annb I just found a simple syrup recipe with minkfruit- MONKFRUIT LOLOL-- one cup each of monkfruit and water, bring to boil, simmer 4-5 min until dissolved. You could but try!
Today hopes to be:
Bfast avocado, pecans, again scrambled eggs because nobody boiled any yesterday, 2 cherry tomatoes that looked a little squishy, <1/4 square Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Lunch maybe not?
Supper a dilemma.. barre class at 6:30 today so I do have to eat some of my supper at 4 or 5:00, and finish off after class.
No rain was forecast for today, but if that's not rain I'm hearing,,,,,,, hmmmmm

That is the same as for a simple stock syrup, although I've never used monkfruit. I might just boil up some apple juice and bottle the fuchsia fruits in that. Em and her niece and nephew just called in (children of granddaughter, currently in hospital in Aberdeen) on their way home from school. They enjoyed the fuchsia "berries" - surprisingly because they are not very sweet.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember Clarnico mint creams but not iced caramels. As we're reminiscing about confectionery, do you remember New Berry Fruits? My grandmother used to love those. You can still buy them but they have changed the design of the packaging unfortunately. This is how I remember them. Why change it? It's such a simple and attractive design, and pleasantly retro rather than outdated I would say.

1cd46c4718064db8658a3ac263a83b27.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

I do hate having to wear my ‘mod hat’ on this thread as the friendly, chatty banter is what makes it one of the best threads on the forum and one of the reasons I check in here a few times a day. Having said that, could I gently point out that the thread is in the low carb section of the forum and is primarily about the food we’re eating to manage diabetes.

So having killed the joy, dinner was a repeat of lunch. Liked it so much that rather than freeze the remaining pork belly slices, I chopped them into small pieces, salted, coated in chilli oil, air fried and enjoyed.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will you be coming (or should it be going) back with him if he is needed over here this winter?

I've been trying to remember where I heard of a cat being called Cat before - finally remembered - it was Holly Golightly's cat in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
And Cat in Red Dwarf played by Danny John Jules. There again he had mutated from a Cat.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once I had finished work, I took Pup3 for a nice long canter next to the mobility scooter.
Think she is beginning to learn Left and Right. Maybe I should have learned the husky sled commands...
She is just getting fitter and fitter.
Anyway, flattened 1.5 batteries on a new route that we both thoroughly enjoyed.

only problem was the gorgeous scents of cooking that were coming from all the houses we were passing. Pizzas, fish and chips. Pies, gravy, grilled meats. By the time we got home I just fell headfirst into an air fried steak and halloumi fries. My plans for a longer more leisurely cook of cheesy mince went completely out the window!

B: kefir
L: chicken soup
D: steak and chips

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went cold turkey into low carb and haven't had any bread for 6 months....until tonight.
Eating up remainders before heading home from holiday couldnt think what else to do with 2 chicken drumsticks, cheese, tomatoes and olives between of us, so onto toast and under the grill it went...
Did make myself 2 slices but only ate the topping off one as got cold feet and palpitations
an hour to go until the 2 hour test...
Don't think I've been this nervous since exam days...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Lunch: 3 small ham slices followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and raspberry phd bar.
Dinner: gammon steak and mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream LC vanilla and raspberry granola.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I dunno how low you all go & or tolerances?

But last night my wife rustled up this with chicken eggs thick cut hams.. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/celeriac-hash-ham-hock-duck-eggs
They put the nutritional value to these recipies & what I bolused for on face value. It worked for me with my usual Insulin to carb ratio.. Stunning.!

Tonight I antisipate. Cauliflower cheese. .. :) & here it is....

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dang @Goonergal I was so womanfully restraining myself regarding American childhood candy, and had Just written a post mentioning one when I saw yours!

Reactions: DJC3

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
@Antje77 thought I'd let you know that I tried your sprouts in blue cheese today and mmmmmmmmmmmmm I'm in love. I had 250g of sprouts boiled, drained and mixed with 30g of danish blue, together with 2 veggie sausages wrapped in streaky bacon. Probably my most calorific meal since I started weight loss in May, but gosh it was well worth it and I skipped lunch in preparation! :happy::happy::happy::happy::happy: