What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Annb -- Sorry to read about the nosebleed and the achy throat. Hope things will improve tomorrow.
@PenguinMum -- Congrats on the fabulous HbA1c result.
@shelley262 -- Sounds like you are really enjoying getting out to swim everyday. Keeping my fingers crossed that your arms will be fine tomorrow after receiving the vaccinations.
@Bex72 -- Glad to hear that none of you were hit very hard with the virus. Keeping my fingers crossed that things will be looking up even more very soon.
@maglil55 -- Can you ask something about the cauli risotto -- Do you sweat the cauli rice in butter before adding liquid? Approximiately how many minutes of cooking and stirring does it take until it is done?

Today's menu ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinted espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Some of the boeuf bourgignon. Half a toasted DD keto roll with butter. A slice of egg-liqueur cake.

Dinner: Romaine lettuce with h/m Cesar's dressing, gouda and lamb strips cooked sous vide and then fried. Half a DD keto roll toasted with butter and smoked goose breast. A slice of the egg-liqueur cake. A bit of the chili-cheeese burger (without the bun) my husband had ordered. Some red wine.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bex72 I am sorry to hear yous have the dreaded COVID - take care mrs

@zauberflote the water can be cold here even on a summer's day!

@ianpspurs I had to phone my DN and ask/fight for a blood test despite it being 18 months from the last one - and she was not happy at me asking for it and tried to put me off but I had made up my mind that I was not prepared to wait possibly another 6 months (or more) which would have been 2 years since previous bloods test *sigh* the shy kids get nothing ...:banghead:

@DJC3 I am the same with the opened packet of nuts because I know they are there I want them ..:hungry: Also, was it you who made the cabbage and bacon soup, if so, can you please share the recipe - I am now looking for low carb soup ideas

Brunch - greek yoghurt with berries and flaxseeds and goji berries also. Mug of earl grey with watered down semi skimmed milk as I like a lot of milk in my tea (baby tea)

Dinner - 2 smoked gammon steaks with melted mozzarella on top and a little pineapple. 2 squares of 90% dark lindtt and a cup of earl grey with watered down semi skimmed milk (latest experiment which I think I will be going with - less carbs and saturated fat)

I also confess to having some combo nutty mix and cheese a little while ago - I had the munchies but now feel so full.

Hi this is the ham and cabbage soup. I boil spuds separately and just add them to the other bowls of soup. You need an instant pot/ pressure cooker in order to get the ham stock to begin with. https://www.feistytapas.com/2017/01/instant-pot-ham-and-cabbage-soup/
Other soups which are popular here are https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-no-noodle-chicken-soup - I make this a lot
And https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/ethiopian-spicy-doro-wat-soup unusual with the hard boiled egg in it but it was a great hit with everyone.
You’re right about opened pack of nuts. I usually put them in a Tupperware right at the back of a cupboard to save me from myself!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 10.4 today. Could be worse.

Water, tea and pills so far. Had to start off with a full dose of Co-codamol today - could barely move but the Co-codamol has had an effect and I am now able to move around a lot more easily.

In a while I will make the cabbage thoran which Bex72 write about. It sounds so good and I am looking forward to it.

Dinner will be a couple of sausages and maybe some scrambled eggs. I have some mushrooms in the fridge as well, so will have them as well.

Em is due to come in on her way home from school this afternoon so it will be her chance to make the apple strudel she was asking about. I will get her to add some vanilla cake crumbs left after the "tea party" (several fairy cakes still in the box). She will probably want to add dried fruit as well - I never liked apple with dried fruit, but I'm not going to be eating it. There will be no cinnamon - her Mum can't take cinnamon, for some reason. Have to think of another spice to use instead. Ginger? Cardamom? Cloves? Have to get Em to try them and decide.

Elder granddaughter is still being kept "stable" and on opiates to reduce her pain. Doctors have acknowledged that the longer she is kept on painkillers and on medicine to stop her feeling sick, the more likely it is that the baby will be born addicted to them and will have to spend some time being weaned off. Sounds ridiculous to me - she is now almost at 36 weeks and the baby should be allright being delivered now. Even if she is small, it would, surely, be better kept in intensive care while she grows, rather than, later in intensive care being weaned off drugs. Her mum has been on steroids to help develop her lungs and put on some weight. We all think it would be better to deliver her now. The hospital doesn't see it that way, obviously. I'm really not sure what we can do. It may be that I am only getting half the story and there may be a good reason for all this.

Reactions: maglil55

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@zauberflote here are pics of the pack and ingredients.
20200929_222335_001.jpeg
20200930_084335.jpeg

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG 10.4 today. Could be worse.

Water, tea and pills so far. Had to start off with a full dose of Co-codamol today - could barely move but the Co-codamol has had an effect and I am now able to move around a lot more easily.

In a while I will make the cabbage thoran which Bex72 write about. It sounds so good and I am looking forward to it.

Dinner will be a couple of sausages and maybe some scrambled eggs. I have some mushrooms in the fridge as well, so will have them as well.

Em is due to come in on her way home from school this afternoon so it will be her chance to make the apple strudel she was asking about. I will get her to add some vanilla cake crumbs left after the "tea party" (several fairy cakes still in the box). She will probably want to add dried fruit as well - I never liked apple with dried fruit, but I'm not going to be eating it. There will be no cinnamon - her Mum can't take cinnamon, for some reason. Have to think of another spice to use instead. Ginger? Cardamom? Cloves? Have to get Em to try them and decide.

Elder granddaughter is still being kept "stable" and on opiates to reduce her pain. Doctors have acknowledged that the longer she is kept on painkillers and on medicine to stop her feeling sick, the more likely it is that the baby will be born addicted to them and will have to spend some time being weaned off. Sounds ridiculous to me - she is now almost at 36 weeks and the baby should be allright being delivered now. Even if she is small, it would, surely, be better kept in intensive care while she grows, rather than, later in intensive care being weaned off drugs. Her mum has been on steroids to help develop her lungs and put on some weight. We all think it would be better to deliver her now. The hospital doesn't see it that way, obviously. I'm really not sure what we can do. It may be that I am only getting half the story and there may be a good reason for all this.
Hug for you and elder granddaughter. I pray the baby can be born without addiction but if not both lives are secured and treatment solves the problem. Life sure ain't dull for you but as Rod said, you wear it well.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Annb,
I am very hit and miss with plants. I am very good at buying trays of bedding plants and letting them die. However, it has been very hot this year and I bit the bullet and decided to grow veg in my front garden as it gets so much more sun. It was really successful but helped by having my sister living with us (awaiting divorce) as she did most of the watering and feeding. I have to work out what to do with the green tomatoes. I'm thinking green tomato and lentil curry.
I love Thai basil, I hope your seeds behave well.
Which Island are you? My husband always recalls an smazing school trip he gad to Skye. The closest I've been is probably Ben Nevis. x

The special lamps Neil bought for me seem to have helped the indoor plants - apart from the parsley. Maybe that has been the problem all along - low light levels. One day, I will manage to grow things indoors. Outdoor plants seem to do allright, which is why I have ordered all the fruit bushes. They will be grown in tubs - probably an issue in itself, because we are surrounded by grazing land and the grass/weeds just keep spreading into our garden and smothering everything planted - other than montbretia, willow, ferns and other tough plants. Even the mint was strangled.

Our Island is the Isle of Lewis - the most northern of the Outer Hebrides. It is soggy for much of the year but we have big skies. The land is fairly low lying and we can see a whole lot of sky at all times. Can't see much else when it's raining, of course. We have a saying here - if you can see the mainland, it's going to rain; and if you can't see it - it's raining already. A bit unfair, we do have our good days and it's actually been drier these last 2 or 3 years, than normal.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The special lamps Neil bought for me seem to have helped the indoor plants - apart from the parsley. Maybe that has been the problem all along - low light levels. One day, I will manage to grow things indoors. Outdoor plants seem to do allright, which is why I have ordered all the fruit bushes. They will be grown in tubs - probably an issue in itself, because we are surrounded by grazing land and the grass/weeds just keep spreading into our garden and smothering everything planted - other than montbretia, willow, ferns and other tough plants. Even the mint was strangled.

Our Island is the Isle of Lewis - the most northern of the Outer Hebrides. It is soggy for much of the year but we have big skies. The land is fairly low lying and we can see a whole lot of sky at all times. Can't see much else when it's raining, of course. We have a saying here - if you can see the mainland, it's going to rain; and if you can't see it - it's raining already. A bit unfair, we do have our good days and it's actually been drier these last 2 or 3 years, than normal.

Ann - Have you considered trying your herbs outdoors? The only things I even start indoors are ginger, and lemongrass.

The ginger only stays indoors until I am comfortable it has a root system, and the lemongrass was a little longer, as it was rather slow sprouting. Coincidentally, I have been hardening that off over the last several days and planted it out yesterday.

I've kept a little lemongrass back in the cold frame, as a bit of an insurance policy, but I have plenty seeds left too.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am growing chives, Thai basil, sweet basil, tarragon and trying to get parsley to grow for me. I planted some seeds of it months ago and all that happened was one spindly little sprout popped up and then never grew any further. I never have success with parsley - even the parsley that I bought from the garden centre to grow outdoors, hasn't done very well.
We've bought parsley already growing in a pot (the flat leaf variety) and it does ok for a while but doesn't really seem to thrive. The same with thyme. Basil does the best for us. We currently have what looks like a basil forest in a pot. It's been growing like crazy since the spring.

@Bex72 Sorry to hear about your family's covid outbreak. Hope you're all over it soon.

Could you make green tomato chutney with the green tomatoes?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ann - Have you considered trying your herbs outdoors? The only things I even start indoors are ginger, and lemongrass.

The ginger only stays indoors until I am comfortable it has a root system, and the lemongrass was a little longer, as it was rather slow sprouting. Coincidentally, I have been hardening that off over the last several days and planted it out yesterday.

I've kept a little lemongrass back in the cold frame, as a bit of an insurance policy, but I have plenty seeds left too.

I do have some herbs growing outside. They won't survive the winter and I am still hoping to have some growing indoors to keep us going until spring. I might have left it too late though.

Outside I have some sad looking parsley,some bay, some mint, some rosemary, some sage, some basil and some lavender - even sadder looking than the parsley. That's another thing that doesn't do very well here. Now, if we could eat willow or montbretia we'd be well in.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ann B for your message.
My husband says that he used desiccated coconut in the cabbage thoran but only a couple of table spoons rather than half a cup.
I would never have thought of combining coconut and cabbage. As you make this dish it must work - I'll have to try it.

Reactions: Antje77

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Seem to have a serious case of the munchies at the moment. Having munched my way through most of the ‘snacky’ bits and bobs in the flat, it’ll have to come to an end.

Aside from Lindt 90%, today’s food has been:

Breakfast of salami and chorizo
Lunch of 2 Barnsley lamb chops picked up alongside a haul of oxtail and ribeye from the butcher this morning
Dinner of air fried chicken wings coated in chilli oil and salt

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening.
B= much tea with almond milk - 2 with 2 x tsps inulin; Moana and joy from Granddaughter. Snack: - 800 mls CWC and Monin SF caramel syrup. Lunch : Pastrami salad with vinaigrette topped with chia and flaxseeds lots more Assam tea. Main meal:Mackerel and 100 gms avocado chunks (from frozen) salad with more spiffing vinaigrette and seeds. I think it is the taste of ACV that drives my fondness for salad with vinaigrette. @Mrs T 123 - I probably should badger Drs for A1c and full bloods but I have been thoroughly disillusioned with LC since Jun’19. Any “poor” result could make me say stuff it. One theory is the little rugger that was growing away on my bladder impacted my bg at that point. May be of interest to some.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Missed swimming this morning as had bad reaction in the arm where I’d had the pneumonia vaccination- it’s still sore but kept me awake last night with a lot of cramping in the upper arm muscle- not a place I usually have cramp so gave it a miss and hope to get back to it tomorrow.
@Goonergal think it’s harder to control the snacking when stuck indoors and with wet dismal weather outside let’s hope it’s brighter tomorrow and the temptations are all gone!
Breakfast one each of bacon rasher and egg with half a toasted chaffle
Lunch and pre lunch got a bit tempted by my pot of mixed nuts so ate too many, then had lc seed crackers with Stilton and a slice of prosciutto
Mid pm to cheer myself up two Montezumas 100% mini eggs
Dinner two lamb chops, celeriac chips and coleslaw then pudding of a DGF gingerbread with yoghurt.
Definitely ate more today than comfortable with but I’m trying to be kind to myself during a very stressful period atm so will just try and get back to it tomorrow!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening.
B= much tea with almond milk - 2 with 2 x tsps inulin; Moana and joy from Granddaughter. Snack: - 800 mls CWC and Monin SF caramel syrup. Lunch : Pastrami salad with vinaigrette topped with chia and flaxseeds lots more Assam tea. Main meal:Mackerel and 100 gms avocado chunks (from frozen) salad with more spiffing vinaigrette and seeds. I think it is the taste of ACV that drives my fondness for salad with vinaigrette. @Mrs T 123 123 - I probably should badger Drs for A1c and full bloods but I have been thoroughly disillusioned with LC since Jun’19. Any “poor” result could make me say stuff it. One theory is the little rugger that was growing away on my bladder impacted my bg at that point. May be of interest to some.
The light up gin looks interesting would be a good pressie for someone I know! Thank you for link @ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Hug for the sore arm @shelley262 . I’m having flu jab on Saturday but not pneumonia as far as I know. Hope it’s better tomorrow.
Today I had black coffee as usual. Then a friend came round for coffee just as postman delivered my new DGF order so I felt we should try the new coffee&walnut one. It was lovely, and good to have actual cake texture rather than the brownie/ blondie for a change, Nice as they are.
Lunch was 2 air fried chicken drumsticks 1 slice Edam then chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner was the Iceland spicy king prawn thing @maglil55 put me on to. Had it with wilted spinach then a lc custard with strawberries.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 thanks for the soup ideas - they float my boat.

@shelley262 sorry about the sore arm - you are quite right be kind to yourself and yeah tomorrow's another day ...

@Goonergal I am eating too much 90% lindtt too and ... nuts ... and ... cheese ... and ...

@Annb Hope all goes well with your grand daughter and the new baby - they are in the best place

Brunch - 1 slice seriously low carb toasted with guacamole and chia seeds on top. Mug of earl grey.

Dinner - Omlette with mushrooms, onions, cheeses and tomato. 2 squares of 90% Lindtt dark chocolate .. and then another 2 squares after that (tasty)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb hugs for mother-to-be. So hard to know the full story. I am glad that she was moved when she was, though! And I would never imagine mint losing an encroachment battle-- it's as bad as bamboo! My sister and I planted a tiny herb garden in the parking lot of our parents' business one college summer. The mint ran through the whole gravel parking area, and the parsley survived a southern Vermont winter due to a good snow cover. I made alot of thyme jelly, which was oddly tasty on peanut butter sandwiches!
A very tired day today, missed 3 hours of sleep. I knew I'd need lunch to keep rolling-- it's an all-day watch-the-baby fest, and he's in a fussy spell. Daddy wrecked his back Sunday morning and still home from work, Mommy up with baby twice in the night and I'm sure she wanted to fuss and wail just as much as he has!
Bfast was spread out over hours. 3 boiled eggs, pecan guacamole, spiced flax meal made into an edible paste with the soymilk. No time to make crisps. Taking poor waily baby for second walk so Mommy could hear herself teach.
Oooo thanks @SlimLizzy! The first ingredient is potatoes! Aside from those, it looks like "cream of green stuff" soup, easy to throw together. You have better quality packaged food there than we do here, for sure.

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Lunch: small packet of Cheesies followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon coffee shop visit: coconut cappuccino and birthday cake phd bar.
Dinner: salmon with peppercorn sauce and roasted veggies followed by SF jelly, cream LC vanilla and raspberry granola.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@zauberflote here are pics of the pack and ingredients.
@Annb hugs for mother-to-be. So hard to know the full story. I am glad that she was moved when she was, though! And I would never imagine mint losing an encroachment battle-- it's as bad as bamboo! My sister and I planted a tiny herb garden in the parking lot of our parents' business one college summer. The mint ran through the whole gravel parking area, and the parsley survived a southern Vermont winter due to a good snow cover. I made alot of thyme jelly, which was oddly tasty on peanut butter sandwiches!
A very tired day today, missed 3 hours of sleep. I knew I'd need lunch to keep rolling-- it's an all-day watch-the-baby fest, and he's in a fussy spell. Daddy wrecked his back Sunday morning and still home from work, Mommy up with baby twice in the night and I'm sure she wanted to fuss and wail just as much as he has!
Bfast was spread out over hours. 3 boiled eggs, pecan guacamole, spiced flax meal made into an edible paste with the soymilk. No time to make crisps. Taking poor waily baby for second walk so Mommy could hear herself teach.
Oooo thanks @SlimLizzy! The first ingredient is potatoes! Aside from those, it looks like "cream of green stuff" soup, easy to throw together. You have better quality packaged food there than we do here, for sure.
I noticed the potatoes first as well, but carb level was low enough for me. @4.2 per 100ml, 11g per 250g portion.

Reactions: zauberflote