What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 What are the beef wrap things? Think I must have missed a post but they sound like something I’d like.
The Eye appointment sounds a bit stressful but I’m glad you have another reprieve. I had the glasses steaming up problem last week when I went to get new reading glasses from Boots ( Dennis had eaten my old ones - I’d stupidly left them on the arm of my chair when I went to the kitchen!)
Hugs for the guinea pig and distraught grandson. It’s a hard thing for a child to come to terms with. The Wonder book arrived btw - I’m looking forward to reading it with the girls when they are next round.
Thanks for the DGF review - I’ve been tempted by the Not Carrot Cake but still have quite a few others in the freezer so I’m trying to make myself wait until the next batch.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All
Seem to have missed lots. Its been a bit of a topsy turvy week here. Fishfinger Firsday happened on Friday. Thurs night was Chicken & chorizo pasta bake with the non pasta bit separated out for me with cauli rice. Eldest son arrived Wed night, is staying at a nearby hotel but comes to us for meals SD of course. He had a negative test done before he travelled. We must keep his Dad safe. So hard not to be able to hug him but he came now because wont be able to at Christmas.
Tonight we are having an Indian t/a delivered so I will need to be careful,I usually irder Chicken Shaslik and cauli bhajee but I MUST stay away from the popadoms, they are my undoing!
@maglil55 sorry about the guinea pig but you have a very kind and thoughtful little boy who will become a great a pet owner and dad. You should be very proud.
@zauberflote I keep forgetting to reply to the raking of acorns post. It was the first day I was recovered enough to be outside with the sun shining. Also I was raking with a garden rake on grass so very little bounce! No doubt the novelty factor will wear off as they keep coming down.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 What are the beef wrap things? Think I must have missed a post but they sound like something I’d like.
The Eye appointment sounds a bit stressful but I’m glad you have another reprieve. I had the glasses steaming up problem last week when I went to get new reading glasses from Boots ( Dennis had eaten my old ones - I’d stupidly left them on the arm of my chair when I went to the kitchen!)
Hugs for the guinea pig and distraught grandson. It’s a hard thing for a child to come to terms with. The Wonder book arrived btw - I’m looking forward to reading it with the girls when they are next round.
Thanks for the DGF review - I’ve been tempted by the Not Carrot Cake but still have quite a few others in the freezer so I’m trying to make myself wait until the next batch.
Dennis ate my glasses sounds like a news headline The beef wrap thing is very simple. Thin slices of frying steak wrapped "beef olive style" around long slices of red onion and various colours of peppers. Season with salt, pepper and herbs and I cover in a sauce I make with onions, tomato, little monk fruit golden (sometimes - depends on the tomatoes), some veggie stock and chilli to get heat into it. Pop in the oven for 35 - 40 mins. I make batches of them, pack in metal trays and freeze. They're handy if I'm in can't be bothered mode as I take a pack out to thaw for next day and they're tasty.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 the Dr almond chocolate = hint of Tobelerone - not as much as the image implies. My tastes differ wildly from everyone else here but I like it- This is the calendar first time either of us have ever had an advent calendar. @zauberflote DIL was in charge of dogs - she works at vets. Julie stayed with them all night. B=Tea; 11.00 am; CWC; L= Cheese + cucumber sandwich, more cuc and some leaves, tea. EM: Mackerel and avocado salad . Menu may change as yesterday 90.9 yo MIL was without water and heat from 2.00 am . Water brought a ceiling down. Emergency co turned water off, said they’d be back- didn’t. Hours of very terse phone calls and 80 mile round trips. @DJC3 dog ate my glasses - nice twist on homework excuse but hug.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dennis ate my glasses sounds like a news headline The beef wrap thing is very simple. Thin slices of frying steak wrapped "beef olive style" around long slices of red onion and various colours of peppers. Season with salt, pepper and herbs and I cover in a sauce I make with onions, tomato, little monk fruit golden (sometimes - depends on the tomatoes), some veggie stock and chilli to get heat into it. Pop in the oven for 35 - 40 mins. I make batches of them, pack in metal trays and freeze. They're handy if I'm in can't be bothered mode as I take a pack out to thaw for next day and they're tasty.

They sound delish! I predict they will enter life in this hacienda.

Yesterday evening was fish and chips for MrB and a break from the tandoori chicken I usually do to accompany a small Jenga of pilfered chips. I had Black Farmer's Jerk Pork Sausages. I don't "do" sausages very often, but they caught my eye the other day on the supermarket shelf.

Unlike so many packaged offerings, there was loads of jerk-style heat in the bangers. I may have to hide the remainder from the person who told me the smell of them cooking (in the AF) was taunting his when I was picking up the click and collect at the F&C establishment.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dennis ate my glasses sounds like a news headline
That made me laugh, as did @DJC3 ’s account of Dennis eating them.
I’ll give liver another go at some point - need to work up to it though.
@Mrs T 123 welcome back and congratulations on the new job.

OMAD today and it was well worth waiting for. Dinner of roast lamb shoulder - used the gas oven for a change. Really delicious.

743F2A98-09AA-4536-960C-ECAC2337EC7D.jpeg
5E73CAC6-30DB-4C9F-A75E-687718D0598D.jpeg

Edited to correct tag

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 the Dr almond chocolate = hint of Tobelerone - not as much as the image implies. My tastes differ wildly from everyone else here but I like it- This is the calendar first time either of us have ever had an advent calendar. @zauberflote DIL was in charge of dogs - she works at vets. Julie stayed with them all night. B=Tea; 11.00 am; CWC; L= Cheese + cucumber sandwich, more cuc and some leaves, tea. EM: Mackerel and avocado salad . Menu may change as yesterday 90.9 yo MIL was without water and heat from 2.00 am . Water brought a ceiling down. Emergency co turned water off, said they’d be back- didn’t. Hours of very terse phone calls and 80 mile round trips. @DJC3 dog ate my glasses - nice twist on homework excuse but hug.

Now that's an Advent Calendar I could go for too apart from the white chocolate but I daresay I could stomach white chocolate in limited numbers.
I can empathise over the water damage. This time last year we had just completed many repairs having returned from holiday to find our bedroom ceiling on our bed, hotly followed by the TV deciding to go and our boiler blowing on the day we almost bought the new TV. Messy and probably more disruption in current times. Hugs for poor MIL.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 those beef olive type things sound wonderful, thank for the recipe, I must try them.
@ianpspurs hugs to you too, for the stress of poor Mils water and the 80mile emergency dash, what a horrid day.
Today I woke up hungry so had breakfast for a change: Dr Almond Schwarzbrot topped with avocado topped with poached eggs. Bland and boring in taste and texture - what @ianpspurs would call functional food I guess; filled a hole.
Lunch: a few seedy crackers. 50g St Agur cheese and 10g (!) sliver of pear.
Dinner was a fabulous air fried duck breast. Sautéed mushrooms and Parmesan cabbage with it. Made Boulangere potatoes for the others which I’d have enjoyed. Also wish I could have had a glass of Shiraz with the meal - it would have been perfect then. October is a long month!
@Goonergal that looks like a perfectly cooked lamb shoulder - sometimes a conventional oven is best.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote Maybe the kitchen witch would perform duties better with a more positive title - kitchen queen or kitchen wiz perhaps?

Lunch: 2 chipolata 2 rashers streaky 1 and a bit scrambled egg and a lc pancake. Very filling and very tasty but will leave the sweetner out of the pancake next time. I never did like mixing sweet and savoury and it's even more noticeable now I'm off most sweet stuff

Took the exploding fish dish back to lidl. Refunded no problem but I would have liked to see them take the remaining stock off sale. Apparently it has to go to Central quality first.

Boy cooked dinner tonight, chilli. Waiting to test result of beans but I did skip the rice. Having a glass of red to compensate

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: chicken drumsticks and a small packet of Cheesies followed by Greek yoghurt, strawberries and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Mid afternoon black coffee and a raspberry phd bar.
Dinner: Spanish chicken and mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and strawberries.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Dennis sounds a little handful - this made me laugh hehe.

@zauberflote Well done you on keeping up with the barre classes.

@maglil55 Virtual hug for your distraught grandson and the glasses - varifocals are soo expensive and if you have 2 pairs you would need to swap them over when driving/reading what a pain that would be.

@Goonergal your food looks lovely - my mouth is watering.

I have not tried the DGF yet does it spike anyone/how much does it raise your BG| by?

Brunch - greek yoghurt with berries.

Dinner - 3 bratwurst sausages with 2 eggs and cheese on top. 2 squares of 90% Lindtt dark with peanut butter on top (this is becoming my new habit) - it's lovely

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@PenguinMum I figured it was really because you felt better enough to get out there and work up a little LC sweat (acorn flour is LC don't you know [grain of salt required; I have no idea if it is or not, but it must at least be HF!])
@ianpspurs big hugs for MIL household disaster and people who say they'll do a thing not doing it. Not quite how she or you planned to spend the night or day. I think your menu might be allowed to change after all that! Sometimes helping family comes before helping self... we all know and do that.
@Goonergal how do you "work up to" liver? Either you do or you don't!
@MrsA2 fear not, the kitchen witch goes back a very long ways, to a tiny hand-crafted witch on a broom who wound up in the kitchen-- and I want to say it was my mother's kitchen when I was an older teen! Haven't seen it in decades, maybe 5 of them. She is generally a comfortable soul, but it's sure nice to have somebody to blame when things go wrong! She would be highly offended at having to accept a new title
Mrs t 123 the peanut butter on the 90%-- how do you then eat it? I do like chocolate with peanut butter but not so much combining it with 90%. I am pretty sure @Goonergal has a recipe for a fudge or the like that's sweetened, LC, and successfully combines the two. From when she was baking for office occasions I think.
Saturday bfast avocado, pecans, boiled eggs, 1.5 Lindt 90% verrrrryyyy slowly while washing dishes (still haven't replaced the dishwasher that died the third week we lived here!), flax crisps/dilute soymilk by which time it was 1:00 so I had some provolone and half a Lindt, and started cooking.
I fell for a Hello Fresh (ingredient delivery service) "deal" and had three meals to prepare. Spent all day, grill smelling enticing, roasting potatoes, green beans, salmon, carrots, and meatballs. The salmon/veg was for tonight. I tasted the potatoes and ate my share of beans straight off the grill. The meatballs got frozen in their fancy rice with the carrots, which I tasted generously. The third meal will have to wait, as then I moved on to an "everybody else" dessert. Proceeded to set myself up to "may as well be hung" for all of Abraham's flocks and herds as for the little roast veg lamb. Not doing very well on the self control here.
Supper my share of salmon plus MrZF's skin, spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/soy
MrZF benefits from the dessert tonight. The rest is for lunch tomorrow.
Good night all, me too, and good morning as it comes!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am pretty sure @Goonergal has a recipe for a fudge or the like that's sweetened, LC, and successfully combines the two. From when she was baking for office occasions I think.

@Mrs T 123 @zauberflote has a very good memory! See recipe attached. I use chopped almonds/almond butter but peanuts/peanut butter would work. In fact any chopped nuts/nut butter. Do you have the app Copy Me That? A few of us have shared recipes that way and it’s great for storing recipes you come across on the web - can even go direct from a post here into the app.

9B63F63C-785D-4CE6-A24D-A411A56A7131.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mrs T 123 @zauberflote has a very good memory! See recipe attached. I use chopped almonds/almond butter but peanuts/peanut butter would work. In fact any chopped nuts/nut butter. Do you have the app Copy Me That? A few of us have shared recipes that way and it’s great for storing recipes you come across on the web - can even go direct from a post here into the app.

View attachment 44881

I can vouch for the deliciousness of these!

Reactions: Goonergal

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote I’m still laughing at your comment on ‘working up to liver’ !
I used to get those Hello Fresh boxes a few years ago before dx and when I was working. I thought they were great, I still have some of their recipe cards which are either low carb or easily adaptable.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@zauberflote -- Hugs for the broken dishwasher, it took us four years to replace ours, so know the feeling.
@ianpspurs -- I agree on the stollen -- I have never liked it, even when I could still eat regular stollen. So sorry to read about the incident at your MIL's.
@Mrs T 123 -- Great to see you back. Congrats on your positive attitude and on your new job (sorry you lost your old one).
@DJC3 -- Those pears sound wonderful and slicing them thinly, as you did, should be okay for blood sugar impact. I always found they go well with blue cheese and walnuts. (Funny story about Dennis and the glasses:hilarious:).
@maglil55 -- Hugs to you, your grandson and the guinea pigs -- what a truly horrible day.

The day before yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Two scrambled eggs with spring onion tops and feta. A side of radishes and half a DD keto roll with butter.

Lunch: Went out for our weekly shopping and wine in the evening trip -- so no lunch.

Dinner: Out for red wine, later upon getting home some döner meat and a smallish piece of cheese.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@LaoDan -- Food looks absolutely delicious. Is this all lamb Chinese style? Or only the first dish?

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinted espresso with cream and erythritol. A chunk of cheese.

Lunch: Four quail breasts. Baba ghanoush.

Dinner: Another quail breast, a tiny bit of cauli mash and zucchini and bellpepper in tomato cream sauce. A DD keto roll with butter. Red wine.

Found a recipe for cauliflower tabouleh, which looks delicious -- and not too high carb, if you leave out the raisins. Will probably try it today.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hello all,

@LaoDan -- Food looks absolutely delicious. Is this all lamb Chinese style? Or only the first dish?

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinted espresso with cream and erythritol. A chunk of cheese.

Lunch: Four quail breasts. Baba ghanoush.

Dinner: Another quail breast, a tiny bit of cauli mash and zucchini and bellpepper in tomato cream sauce. A DD keto roll with butter. Red wine.

Found a recipe for cauliflower tabouleh, which looks delicious -- and not too high carb, if you leave out the raisins. Will probably try it today.
The first is water with Sichuan peppers, the second is raw lamb, so it’s basically cook it yourself. Usually I order quail eggs and lotus root too but I was solo today