What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DCUKMod have you tried microwaving the onion? It uses much less water, or you can do it in olive oil. Goes faster too. That used to be one of my (I'm drooling here, really) favorite winter suppers-- a chopped up sweet onion nuked in olive oil, then add two egg whites or eggs and stir them in, zap a bit longer. Woe is me onions are so high carb!
@maglil55 we have had hurricane remnants pass over us. I've been vertiginous all day! Your burger thing sounds really good. I'd make it with turkey and no bun because we can't get these breads you are all eating here
Today food
Bfast avocado pecans boiled eggs flax crisps/soy
Lunch a whole lot of provolone, pecans, skyr yogurt/olive oil
Supper leftover "Greek" chicken, spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/soy
The barometric pressure today swung wildly down then a bit back up from the remnants of Zeta. The head spins!
Goodnight all and good morning sun!

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to say!

Lunch: cream of mushroom soup (inspired by a DD recipe) + psyllium, green leaf salad, 2 x keto-friendly coffee
Dinner: chorizo with lettuce, radish and celery salad, stevia hot chocolate

I'm admiring so many of your menus and recipes and am having fun working out some of the acronyms on this thread:

@ianpspurs CWC, I imagine you having "Cheese With Cheese"- seems appropriate
@maglil55, I've gone back and back through the thread, trying to work out what on earth this TAG is for your breakfasts, and I'm afraid my brain can only come up with "Tea And Gin", but that seems unlikely! :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod have you tried microwaving the onion? It uses much less water, or you can do it in olive oil. Goes faster too. That used to be one of my (I'm drooling here, really) favorite winter suppers-- a chopped up sweet onion nuked in olive oil, then add two egg whites or eggs and stir them in, zap a bit longer. Woe is me onions are so high carb!
@maglil55 we have had hurricane remnants pass over us. I've been vertiginous all day! Your burger thing sounds really good. I'd make it with turkey and no bun because we can't get these breads you are all eating here
Today food
Bfast avocado pecans boiled eggs flax crisps/soy
Lunch a whole lot of provolone, pecans, skyr yogurt/olive oil
Supper leftover "Greek" chicken, spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/soy
The barometric pressure today swung wildly down then a bit back up from the remnants of Zeta. The head spins!
Goodnight all and good morning sun!

Ah, great idea on the nuked onion.

Whilst the onions are just under 10gr per 100, carb, it is the only carb in the dish, and half an onion is likely to be under or around 100gr? For me, that's where the enjoyment versus minimising carbs comes into play.

Life is one big compromise.

The cheesy/egginess would hold together without the onion, with perhaps other flavours in there, like garlic, herbs, chilli or mustard. Ours often have a dollop of decent wholegrain mustard added.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Fruit salad and some cream again for breakfast. Then out to GP appointment. He can't find anything wrong with my lungs or my heart, though he could see that my ability to breathe is compromised, so has taken bloods and upped my diuretic dose. He thinks I might either be anaemic or have a reprise of my kidney problem of last year.

Lunch - just tea with pills.

Dinner will be Brussels sprouts with bacon.

Carbs only those in the fruit and the sprouts. Not too much.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to say!

Lunch: cream of mushroom soup (inspired by a DD recipe) + psyllium, green leaf salad, 2 x keto-friendly coffee
Dinner: chorizo with lettuce, radish and celery salad, stevia hot chocolate

I'm admiring so many of your menus and recipes and am having fun working out some of the acronyms on this thread:

@ianpspurs CWC, I imagine you having "Cheese With Cheese"- seems appropriate
@maglil55, I've gone back and back through the thread, trying to work out what on earth this TAG is for your breakfasts, and I'm afraid my brain can only come up with "Tea And Gin", but that seems unlikely! :)

I love your take on the acronyms. ‘Cheese with cheese’ and ‘Tea and Gin’ both sound like menu choices I’d make!
I made that DD cream of mushroom soup last week - it was a winner with the whole family.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s food so far has been gallons of black coffee and TWAM ( tea with almond milk for @OzBlossom )
Brussels pate with the Dr Amond walnut bread and a couple of airfried chicken drumsticks. Raspberries and clotted cream afterwards.
This evening as the weather is so gloomy I feel like a comforting stew so I’m trying this Angela Hartnett recipe https://www.telegraph.co.uk/recipes...um=Edi_Foo_New20201029&utm_campaign=DM1300706 I figure it’s about 8g carbs per portion including the onion and carrot. I’m hoping that walnut bread will be robust enough to dip in it too. I have a low carb custard left so that’ll be pudding.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Haven't had EM yet but I won't back down, no I won't back down. I nearly made an error and asked The Food Fairy to make Tuna melts but I saw an oopsie bread base just in time - phew. Could be tweaked into a fishcake somehow I guess. @PenguinMum , caulimash with wholegrain mustard needs work and access to the right kitchen equipment, I don’t think blitzing in a Nutri bullet with butter did it too many favours - texture was fine. On the plus side, it was a very long way from the most egregious food crime among the LC “wonderswaps.” @OzBlossom CWC is coffee with cream for me (and sf caramel for me) - unlikely to find me eating "cheese with cheese.” B=TWAM - obligatory lake thereof; 12:.00 pm; CWC and 32* gms Dr Almond, almond chocolate;. L Corned beef sandwich - skinny bread,; EM: Super salmon and avo salad with faxseeds atop - functional+
* gave the builder an 8 gms piece. I have also introduced him to skinny bread, cronometer and DD. Will it help the bill?

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Ah, great idea on the nuked onion.

Whilst the onions are just under 10gr per 100, carb, it is the only carb in the dish, and half an onion is likely to be under or around 100gr? For me, that's where the enjoyment versus minimising carbs comes into play.

Life is one big compromise.

I now have a little kitchen scale courtesy of DIL ("sometimes you have to mash the button like you really mean it" is true but hey, it was free!) so I'll have to weigh a Vidalia or Oso Sweet onion to get an idea. If I could fry up a huge batch and freeze it in portions, that would be nice. Thanks for the "carb count nudge"!!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Annb your mention of brussels sprouts tipped me into putting them on the shopping list! I'm going to have the grill fired up for my HelloFresh box one day soon-- will also g'roast the sprouts until they're buttery tender. I'm glad your GP is on top of things for you!
@ianpspurs these tuna melt muffins we're talking about have no bread. If I fix a tuna melt for MrZF, though, it's tuna salad on bread with cheese melted over. We used to eat at a great restaurant where my favorite was a tuna avocado melt-- so how about the tuna melt muffins with avocado on the side, or as mini-sandwiches on lettuce with avocado inside too. Hope the builder cuts you a special deal!!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Friday
Bfast boiled egg, avocado/flax/egg concoction (cannot grace this mess with the title of "bread"-- my proper-size pyrex dish is in the freezer filled with something or other, so I used a loaf pan, and then had to toast it in toaster oven for a while to make it not pudding. The charring from the toasting was very sweet, I'll say that!) with dilute soymilk, pecans
DS celebrated Friday by charcoal grilling burgers and chicken for our lunches. Nice. Half a chix breast and an even Jenga of.... Cheetos! (Slaps wrist)
Supper can't be more chicken but other son has gone shopping and cottage cheese was on the list. @OzBlossom I will be having cheese with cheese for supper!, spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/dilute soy, and probably pecans
Unsettling news that certain Walmarts in certain areas (and one of them is my local Walmart which I avoid anyway) have been removing all firearms and any remaining ammo from the store, in advance of next Tuesday's election. Makes me wish I'd ordered a top-up on my flax meal supply!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@zauberflote the concept of firearms even being available in a supermarket is quite mind boggling/scary and all sorts of other things.
@OzBlossom I’m also a cheese with cheese person. Not today, but it goes well with itself!

Today started out well food wise but has gone a bit downhill.

Lunch was 2 Waitrose 1 free range Cumberland sausages with some bacon wrapped halloumi fries. Delicious.
Then on a mid-afternoon stroll some almond butter and Lindt 90% found their way into my bag. Made up a batch of chocolate almond squares. They are very moreish. Amazingly there are still a few left.
Dinner was salami and chorizo with a bag of pork puffs.

Editing to say @maglil55 DGF have the carrot cake back in stock!

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Haven't had EM yet but I won't back down, no I won't back down. I nearly made an error and asked The Food Fairy to make Tuna melts but I saw an oopsie bread base just in time - phew. Could be tweaked into a fishcake somehow I guess. @PenguinMum , caulimash with wholegrain mustard needs work and access to the right kitchen equipment, I don’t think blitzing in a Nutri bullet with butter did it too many favours - texture was fine. On the plus side, it was a very long way from the most egregious food crime among the LC “wonderswaps.” @OzBlossom CWC is coffee with cream for me (and sf caramel for me) - unlikely to find me eating "cheese with cheese.” B=TWAM - obligatory lake thereof; 12:.00 pm; CWC and 32* gms Dr Almond, almond chocolate;. L Corned beef sandwich - skinny bread,; EM: Super salmon and avo salad with faxseeds atop - functional+
* gave the builder an 8 gms piece. I have also introduced him to skinny bread, cronometer and DD. Will help the bill?

OOooh, Ian. You need a Masha: https://www.lakeland.co.uk/18908/Masha-Electric-Potato-Masher

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. We don't usually do Lakeland and probably have something similar hiding in boxes. Whisper it quietly but we may be able to start unpacking after next weekend. No rush for cauli mash too soon.

I don't believe it's a Lakeland exclusive product. I just know they definitely sell it.

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and caramel carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a handful of pecans.
Dinner: chicken drum sticks, leafy salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy a happy belated birthday to you! I hope you had a lovely birthday and meal out.

@zauberflote I will try the old trick with the almond butter next time as all the liquid put me off it but I did think it tasted quite bland compared to the peanut butter.

@maglil55 received my order from SLC they seem to be really quick at delivering just now - they had said my order would be despatched in 6-7 days but I received it 4 days after placing my order.

Brunch - greek yoghurt with flaxseed, cinnamon and mixed berries. mug of earl grey

Dinner - 2 SLC rolls filled with burger, mushrooms, onion, a little 50% less sugar & salt ketchup and some cheddar cheese on top with a large glass of pepsi max.:hungry:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made some of the chocolate almond squares, very nice, very rich, very expensive, very moreish
May try a half quantity some time with peanut butter

B greek yog with seeds and blueberries and extra cream
L salad with ham, hardboiled egg, avocado... but best of all was with a friend. Food is so much better in company
D 2 rashers bacon and a hard boiled egg
Evening snack of biltong and a few pork crunches to go with 2 glasses of wine

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hotpot, beer and cake. I had never met a cake that was too sweet until tonight, truly death by chocolate. Hopefully no more birthday parties for a while

B9A6F0A6-4E70-47E6-BB40-B847602C212F.jpeg