Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Larry and Steve, good names! No, I don’t think you’re being too cautious, it’s such a risky big step.
I’ve heard of people who’ve put stuff from the litter tray round the garden to let a new cat Know it’s where they live.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Larry and Steve, good names! No, I don’t think you’re being too cautious, it’s such a risky big step.
I’ve heard of people who’ve put stuff from the litter tray round the garden to let a new cat Know it’s where they live.

I have used our cats used litter out in the garden before , so I will do that, probably next week.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning, Friday again. Off out food shopping soon and awoke on a 7.9 this morning.

I have a x-ray appointment this afternoon as my right foot has been causing me pain, especially underneath the heel, also my heel bone is protruding out more than the left one, it's looks like a hard golf ball, also I can hardly bring my right foot upwards towards my leg. In the summertime, which I didn't link with the above problem, I keep getting a blister underneath the right heel only, seems to be related now.

Have a good day and a safe one too:)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I love snorkeling, so it's worth figuring out. Don't get me wrong I know I'm blessed I get too!!!!

But 3rd time changes needed for dosing for snorkeling. When I started going out for 3 hours, my blood sugars started climbing after about two hours. I gather it has something to do with the lactic acid build up that your body can't deal with and it releases glucogen and cortisol to deal with it, only since we don't make insulin, well you know..............

But last time I didn't climb, in fact I dropped and went to the car and drank some chocolate soymilk and went back out for my 3 hours. This time I drank half a container before and dropped in 30 minutes.................so I went back to the car and drank the other half and dropped in 15-30 minutes...........sigh, so I went and sat in the car, waited for complete digestion and the rebound climb and after an hour of sitting went back in at an 8.7 and then was able to stay out for another 2 hours. I gather once you get used to the exercise your body doesn't/won't react the same.

I will have to start out higher like I used to, reduce basal more, maybe eat something higher fat so it absorbs slower while I'm out there.....something. I really don't want to try to take something out with me to eat lol............and it's a pain to come back in to get something to eat.

We're headed into winter so water will be a little colder, not quite as much sun all the time so I might not want to go out for 3 hours soon............or as much anyways

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ouch @Robinredbreast, I really hope the fix isn’t a one thing too drastic and you can get to walk more comfortably.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At last there’s a bit more sunlight today, so far, even though it’s still cloudy. I can do a load of washing, and charge the power bank for the sensor change time recharging of the MM. We try to use solar as much as possible, but it does mean the washing mounts up when the weather’s grey. The ultimate climate saving paradox, the thing we’re doing our tiny bit to prevent prevents us doing our tiny bit.
Another 4.00 rising morning after a carb correction in the early hours; I often seem to be inbetween, and not just on doses: I’d like a nighttime Levemir dose of 9.25, clothes size 13, a 28 hour day, Fiasp doses in 0.25 units, another 1.75” on my height. There’s no pleasing some people. Luckily some shoes can still be found in the old 5.5 size.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, up on a 5.1, happy with that. @Robinredbreast, like @Fairygodmother I hope that's something simple to fix. I had two surgeries on my foot a few years ago, and whilst waiting for it to heal each time I realised just how valuable my feet are!

@Marie 2 could water temp have anything to do with it? Or the level of energy you use? I know I'm stating the obvious but there's a heap of difference between floating along and real swimming. I hope you work it out as it's hard if you can't do something you love for whatever reason.

I'm off out to the carpet shop to order new carpet for my spare room. Then I have to paint the walls before they come to fit it. Probably won't do that today as it's not raining right now and if it doesn't when I get back I'll be outside.

Have a good one all, and tomorrow's the weekend!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Starting with a couple of :banghead: :banghead: 's for this post.

SO, my GP's surgery has decided to switch off my online ordering facility. Instead I just get everything on my repeat prescription from the in house Lloyds pharmacy at a certain date.

I am about to run out of test strips and need to get them but I will also get 1 packet (5 pens) of long acting insulin, 1 packet (5 pens) of rapid acting insulin that I don't have room for in the fridge and a month's worth of antihistamines which I don't need at the moment.

The oldest insulin pens are probably going to be get binned along with the stock of antihistamines that I have. When you consider that there are people in the US reportedly struggling to afford insulin, the idea of being forced to simply discard it is difficult to reconcile.

On top of this madness, Menarini have made the Glucomen LX Plus obsolete and have sent me an Areo2 meter under the lifetime warranty scheme. (I don't like this meter but that's another story). The GP's surgery have asked Menarini to send me another one even though I'd already told them I didn't need it or want it. So now I have 2, one I tried and one unopened in its shipping condition which will probably also get binned.

Have written to the practice manager today to ask if they want the meter back and if the online ordering can be re-instated.

I am grateful for the NHS but I do despair sometimes at some of the decisions being taken.

Finishing with a couple of :banghead::banghead: 's for good measure.

Yes, I'm replying to myself to pick up on the story, or part of it.

Mrs Urb went to the pharmacy on Tuesday to pick up her own meds and offered to collect mine. So I get home from work to find that she's got the insulin (the item that I don't need) and nothing else.

"Didn't they give you needles and glucose test strips ?" I ask. "No" she says.

So I phone the next day and it turns out that the bloke who told me all my meds would be available on a certain date and gave me a chit to hand in to collect them, was telling porkies. I have to phone the pharmacy and order them apparently. But I didn't order the insulin so why did they have it available when Mrs Urb' went there? Very odd.

Also my GP had apparently cancelled my test strips (hopefully this was a mistake due to the Glucomen LX becoming obsolete ) - nice one!

So I have needles and test strips on order now and will collect them next week. Good job I have a buffer stock.

Stay safe folks.

Last edited:

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Mrs Urb went to the pharmacy on Tuesday to pick up her own meds and offered to collect mine. So I get home from work to find that she's got the insulin (the item that I don't need) and nothing else.

So I phone the next day and it turns out that the bloke who told me all my meds would be available on a certain date and gave me a chit to hand in to collect them, was telling porkies. I have to phone the pharmacy and order them apparently. But I didn't order the insulin so why did they have it available when Mrs Urb' went there? Very odd.

So I have needles and test strips on order now and will collect them next week. Good job I have a buffer stock.

Stay safe folks.

This happens to me often. My Gp surgery sometime ignore my repeat prescription request for test strips (test strips only) but when they do that they always gives me something else I didn’t order (like lancets that I never ever order) as if that would replace test strips.. and I always wonder what they are thinking...

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
F6AFBECF-1173-4040-B9E3-4ECEAA3FC016.jpeg

Sometimes the ocean is tougher or has more or stronger currents. It was rougher waters but not tougher. But I love watching the turtles, I am trying out free diving and have picked up a couple of golf balls that I haven’t figured out how they got out there. But I always swim laps.

I like swimming and it’s like a giant swimming pool with no pool edges. People swim laps across a lot and I stop when I see a turtle. They eat algae at the bottom. Sometimes they swim alongside you or when they come up for air they will swim under you or circle you if you are just hanging out. So I am used to a level of workout with it now with the laps back and forth. It’s a very freeing feeling to just swim laps with no edges, you decide when to stop or turn around.

When I first switched to 3 hours plus I wasn’t used to it and I guess I had the lactic acid build up and was getting a liver dump. But now I am used to it more and just burning fuel? I am reminded of the soccer video where a type 1 who heaped on a pile of food for lunch without insulin and ended up at a normal number by the end of the afternoon. So I’m guessing I’ll have to start out at a higher number, with a more reduced basal, not stop it altogether because it’s supposed to help you to have some.

PS This was taken from out in the ocean looking in.

3D5E003A-FB84-42E8-9F9D-E37F259CD919.jpeg

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Also my GP had apparently cancelled my test strips (hopefully this was a mistake due to the Glucomen LX becoming obsolete ) - nice one!

Stay safe folks.
This would have me climbing the walls with frustration. I honestly don't understand how this can happen as pharmacists should only dispense what has been put on a prescription signed by a GP. So either GPs are messing it up or pharmacists are. Of course pharmacists are paid for each item they dispense.

If this isn't an independent pharmacy I'd be on to the CEO to complain about this. If we don't complain, nothing changes, and I can't bear the waste of medical supplies and people's time in sorting this nonsense out. It's important for everyone dependent on meds, and for T1s, we don't survive without ours - although your problem doesn't seem to be a lack of insulin! Good luck getting what you expect next week - do let us know what happens!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I missed a bus today so had to wait for another one, it was 8 minutes late :rolleyes: I had two x rays and was told It will take about 2 weeks to get the results back, but 3 hours later I received a text from my surgery to - Please contact the surgery to discuss your x ray results. This is not urgent and can be booked routinely. Thanks (GP's name and surgery's ) that was quick, so I will call next week.
Time for bed I think, goodnight zzzzzz

Reactions: hh1 and karen8967
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Robinredbreast, like @Fairygodmother I hope that's something simple to fix. I had two surgeries on my foot a few years ago, and whilst waiting for it to heal each time I realised just how valuable my feet are!

I love to go out for walks and keep active, so whatever it is, hopefully I can get it fixed. I never wear high heeled shoes, or squash my feet into narrow shoes either. As I have two bone conditions maybe that has somehow contributed to the problem. I hope you recovered well from the surgery's.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, windy and starting to get wet here - again. Meant to brighten up this afternoon so I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks @Robinredbreast I did recover just fine thanks. I have scar tissue on the sole and outer edge of my foot which builds up quite quickly because I spend a fair amount of time on my feet. Because of the location and the fact I'm not going to attack it with a scalpel I can't deal with that fully myself so I get to see a podiatrist regularly. What an under-valued service that is!

Hope you all have a good start to the weekend whatever you're doing.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning!

It's very wet and windy here, but might be better this afternoon, so I'm hunkering down, upped my basal dose (for one good thing about the last few months of very erratic activity levels has been much more confidence in altering a basal dose when knowingly inactive) and ignoring the world. I am so glad I let my gut instinct of topping up my basic supplies on a "go into one shop a day" basis over the last few days over-ride my half-term longing for 20 miles walk days. I am ready for whatever happens in the next month.....

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
New sensor day today so a couple of days’ calibrating to enjoy, not.
Like you @Japes, there are stocks at the ready, and luckily an online delivery tomorrow and the following Sunday. Must book another before all the slots disappear.

Reactions: karen8967

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
.........Of course pharmacists are paid for each item they dispense.

............,and I can't bear the waste of medical supplies.......

I'll let you into a little trick that pharmacies have cottoned on to. Mrs Urb' is a nurse in a care home and when a resident passes away they inform the pharmacy to stop the deliveries of repeat scripts.

The pharmacy keeps delivering the meds for 2 to 3 months afterwards and because the home cannot legally use named and labelled meds for somebody else, they go straight in the bin.

I know this is a case of n=1 but just imagine how much this is costing the NHS if it's being replicated across the country.

(The pharmacy in question is part of a high street chain.)