Type 1'stars R Us

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Afternoon guys, not working this afternoon as I'm off to the hospital for laser treatment on my left eye. It was so foody/misty this morning, but the sun came out and it's glorious weather outside.
Autumn went in the garden again today, she is doing well and I watched her jump up onto the back fence, my heart was in my mouth in case she jumped down over the back ( I know she will at some point, but still feeling a little anxious) so I called her name and she came running to the open window. She got some dreamies treats and lots of praise for being a good girl :cat:
Autumn can certainly go through the cat litter lol, hopefully daughter and her partner will get some tomorrow, as It's too heavy for me to carry.
Enjoy the rest of the day and keep safe.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon all, I remember as a kid my Dad having a tin for our fireworks and being very sensible. That didn't account for forgetting to put the lid on the tin and a jumping jack being let off (not by him) and of course jumping into the tin. Fortunately the only damage was all our fireworks going off at once.

Because so many people have fireworks at home these days, I'd prefer to see them only sold to licensed displays. Even here in rural Somerset they do a lot of damage, scaring wildlife and domestic pets, to the extent that some panic so badly they get injured or worse. Call me a killjoy and I don't care :grumpy:

Pretty rural where I am.. These were big.. When I had Scraps about, it never bothered him much.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So,

I just got tagged into an "old boys" school, Full year Facebook site photo that got posted.
Someone made it trippy "3D" panoramic of it.. Nice...

Took me a while to find the 11year old me... Remember the day well.. Sort of..
Tripping on a porcine insulin hypo following the "herd" like a sweaty wreck & attempting to stand on a gym bench at the back...
1979. I look like Harry Hill in the shirt & jacket with a Beatles haircut.

Nice composure...

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, waiting for the liver dump to see how big it'll be today. No badge.
Lobster yesterday was great, a total treat because the fish man won't be around for 4 weeks. Today's jobs include working in the garden and perhaps a little window cleaning.
Hope everyone's doing well.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Waiting for the sun to come up so I can hit the road on my bike. Also waiting for ibuprofen to kick in and make my shingles pain lessen, which might help me relax and go back to sleep. Need one, or the other, or both.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Mornin’ all.
It wasn’t fish pie last night @SueJB, it was a pre-prepared curry that needed eating. Husband had ordered it in his online delivery, rescued it just in time. I’d rather have had lobster, or fish pie. Fish pie tonight. Lockdown heightens the importance of what to cook for supper.
How’s everyone doing so far in this second lockdown? I’m more relaxed about it, better prepared, but I did ring up and ask the studio provider for a refund for all the mud pie making I was hoping to get back to by next year. It’s a place with the kind of ventilation that doesn’t matter when there’s no wily virus roving around and I don’t want to tempt it, plus it looks as though they don’t expect it to be open again for quite a while.
Thank goodness for all the places for walks, and for good books.
4.3 waking today, it seems the pattern’s set.
Oh those porcine insulin hypos, @Jaylee, in my mind’s eye there’s a picture of a slightly damp, hypo-haired little boy.

Reactions: hh1 and karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Jollymon You might try some L-Lysine, It used to help me when I had shingles. I used to take Quantum Super Lysine Plus and it would help within a couple of days any time I had a flare up. I also took humic acid.

Reactions: Jollymon

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

Brief sit down between some "constructive destructive" garden activity. Combination of the last garden bin day of the year on Monday, sunny day, confined to house and garden, having done the once a week shop at 7.00 a.m. (though a walk before it gets dark and the fireworks re-start may be on the cards) and better access to a bush that really needed sorting now I have a temporary fence up whilst the demolition work continues (please, let this be the week they get to putting up my Proper Fence!) and a legally absent from home elderly neighbour who I won't be disturbing with possible noise has worked to give some "Let's just get on with it all" energy. 50g of carbs all used up with no insulin kind of energy used so far this morning.

Work-wise, with several of my students now shielding as a result of sudden changes to the Clinically Extremely Vulnerable list, you'd think work would be simpler - but no, we have to be providing accessible work for them via their e-mail/drive or for posting (after suitable paperwork quarantining...) for them to be doing so Friday was absolute chaos! We zoom-called two of them which was highly entertaining and are planning on trying to do that again.

Actually, I'm pretty relaxed about this lockdown - I'd planned plenty of non-computer related projects for when I got frustrated at being limited, I had quietly re-stocked my normal supplies in the run-up to Thursday, and have gone back to the routines I'd established last time, with just the addition of being in work. It seems to be OK. No panicking here.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waiting for the sun to come up so I can hit the road on my bike. Also waiting for ibuprofen to kick in and make my shingles pain lessen, which might help me relax and go back to sleep. Need one, or the other, or both.

Hi there Jollymon - I experienced shingles a year or so ago. You have my sympathies. It's a most unpleasant thing.

I was fortunate to be diagnosed early, so could have some anti-viral meds to help shorten the duration of the attack. I have no idea if it did, but the medics were a bit concerned as it was on my face, around one eye. Joy!

One thing I did learn though was that whilst it is worth trying Ibuprofen, or such like to ease the pain, often it needs something a bit beefier to make a difference. As you are experiencing nerve pain, it could be that you might benefit from something like Amitriptyline. I managed to avoid it, but there has been some work done which suggests that amitriptyline can also shorten episodes.

Obviously, I'm not trying to diagnose you with anything, just share what I learned.

I do hope you begin to feel better soon.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been making the most of the weather to get as much clearing done in the garden as possible, some what I'd usually do but also a lot as part of the simplification plans for the future. As a result I've been totally knackered several evenings this week and looks like this will be another one. Still, helped to get bgs down today after a complete misjudgenment of a Chinese meal last night...

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
@DCUKMod and @Marie 2 thank you for the shingles pain advice. I need some. I will really try anything because the pain is terrible.

This is the third time I’ve had it, and this time it really hurts. After the sores healed I was told I could/should try to get the shingles vaccination. I found this cut the nerve pain in 1/2, but it was still tremendous.

For the 2nd shot in that series is when I learned how badly the vaccination hurt. Maybe the 1st shot was just a distraction.

The weather was good here so I pulled the cap off my Jeep. But in reaching in the back to pick up something for the floor I scraped off my cgm sensor off the back of my arm. I was disappointed, but found the manufacturer will replace it. So the problem is solved.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Honestly @Jollymon I am confused as to the vaccine once you've had shingles. My doctor said to wait 6 months until after all symptoms went away, ( mine never disappeared for 6 months in a row until it finally stopped completely) another years later said 3 months. A friend was told to only wait a month after who had it at the same time. I had not heard of taking it while you have it. The powers that be are always coming out with new info or new medications though.

A prescribed anti viral does help the sooner it's caught the better. I would keep having flare ups for a couple of years though and did not want to keep taking antivirals each time. Although it was put on refill status as needed because I guess it's common enough to happen. But instead I took the above mentioned humic acid specifically for the immune system and Super Lysine Plus as soon as I recognized it was happening and I could tell the difference within a couple of days and never had huge issues anymore. I doubled my dose the first couple of days.

Also neem ointment, neem soap, neem shampoo, neem spray helped ease the topical soreness pain.

Reactions: Jollymon

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, pretty damp here this morning, might be a reprieve from full-on clearance and potting up of decent plants for sale for charity. Maybe this equates to your 'constructive destructive @Japes - I like that! However, woke on a mystifying 12.8 - no overnight hypo, no unusual eating, can't explain that at all, unless I dreamt about eating cake.....

@Jollymon so far I've not had shingles and hope I never do, but I have firends who have and who aren't complainers but have been brought to their knees by the pain and discomfort of shingles. Hope you find relief soon.

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi all, I am newly diagnosed type 1 just last week and trying to come to terms and get organised with my new diet and of course monitoring my blood sugars.

One thing I love is tea, I have swapped to decaf and skimmed milk and I am also going to trial fruit teas instead however I am worried about the impact of caffeine. (I love hot drinks and they get me through my working week!)

Homw many teas/coffees to do you tend to drink per day, does it affect your blood sugar? Also I have seen people in the forums stating they are having their hot drinks with cream? Is this better?

Reactions: karen8967

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Homw many teas/coffees to do you tend to drink per day, does it affect your blood sugar? Also I have seen people in the forums stating they are having their hot drinks with cream? Is this better?
Hi @Choosehappy , and welcome to the forum!
I usually drink a liter of coffee with milk a day and often two big mugs of tea as well. Doesn't seem to affect my blood glucose much, although I may need a little insulin for the milk.

When scrolling through the forum it's useful to check what type of diabetes people have. Many T2's control their diabetes by upping the fats and lowering the carbs in their diet. As a T1 you can inject for your food, although many of us find getting the dosing right on lower carbs easier.
Why did you change to skimmed milk? Nothing wrong with that but if you prefer something else I'd drink what I prefer!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've been making the most of the weather to get as much clearing done in the garden as possible

Hi, I cleared my back garden yesterday, again !! 2 1/2 bin bags of leaves, hard work, but I'm glad I got it done and had my own little Autumn :happy::cat:for company, good exercise too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi all, I am newly diagnosed type 1 just last week and trying to come to terms and get organised with my new diet and of course monitoring my blood sugars.

One thing I love is tea, I have swapped to decaf and skimmed milk and I am also going to trial fruit teas instead however I am worried about the impact of caffeine. (I love hot drinks and they get me through my working week!)

Hello and welcome :) I am an avid uncompromising tea drinker, but I have tried de caf tea at night, because I am a terrible sleeper, best one was Yorkshire tea, it's got a bit of clout :)

Reactions: Choosehappy