What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes at times not when my sons were eating stuff pie with puff pastry lol
It can be tough when others around you are having things you might usually have enjoyed, but, honestly, it gets easier, and as you start to see positive things for yourself, it reinforces how well you're doing.

Reactions: zauberflote

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Not long back from some great night walking. Running a series of errands - picking up a parcel from our old office (turned out to be a Libre sensor that had been sent to the wrong address in September. Two for the price of one as they also sent one to my flat; haircut and then home on the train.

TMAD. Lunch at cafe - 2 fried eggs, bacon and some grated cheese.
Dinner at my favourite wings place near the old office. Mix of lemon pepper and garlic Parmesan flavour. Got some free and now have enough for lunch tomorrow.

@DJC3 excellent news on the job. Sure you’ll do a fantastic job.

Thank you! Sounds like a successful day for you too - haircut, a bonus Libre and great wings! I really like the sound of them (Another one for the air fryer to do list)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
11am - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. 2 slices slc bread toasted with corned beef & tomato all washed down with a mug of earl grey tea.

7pm - mussels & stuffed peppers with cream cheese followed by chilli salmon and large side salad. Small bar of aldi moser roth 85% and another mug of earl grey.

@Goonergal I have my hairdo booked for next week when we come out of lockdown - can't wait - I am beginning to look a bit rough!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast CWC, nut granola
Two orange and choc chip cookies, sadly MrSlim does not like them and I do.
Lunch: lettuce, three cherry tomatoes, some tiny bell pepper and smoked mackerel.
Before dinner BG 5.8
Dinner pork escalope, reheated baked potato with Butter and a little cheese, carrots, sprouts and brocolli stem.
Wine,
Two hours 7.6 bit high
Coffee with cream
Lemon tea at bedtime.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- Congrats on the job offer. I am sure you have impressed them with your caring, your dedication, and your good work. You will be stellar running the new center.
@Sugarlisa -- In the beginning it's hard to watch others eat what you can no longer have. My husband used to eat by himself in a separate room so I wouldn't be tempted -- fortunately no longer necessary now. Btw, you are doing a really great jobs, your menus look perfect.
@Antje77 -- What is Beerenburg?
@shelley262 -- Potato fibers give the cauli mash (or the celeriac mash) a bit of a potatoish flavor, so this is in addition to improving the texture. The potato fibers I order have about 8g of carbs per 100g, but you only need very little of it in the mash. I use three tablespoons of potato fiber for a whole head of cauliflour (so an additional 2g of carbs altogether) and the mash usually lasts for around 5 days -- so in terms of carbs, it is really negligible.

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. A DD keto roll, one half with h/m mayonnaise and roastbeef, the other half with mayonnaise and cheese. Two scrambled eggs.

Lunch: Nothing.

Late afternoon: (Really hungry after recording lectures all day) macadamia nuts, roquefort and Kaltbach cheese, turkey salami and cornichons. Red wine.

Dinner: Nothing.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- Congrats on the job offer. I am sure you have impressed them with your caring, your dedication, and your good work. You will be stellar running the new center.
@Sugarlisa -- In the beginning it's hard to watch others eat what you can no longer have. My husband used to eat by himself in a separate room so I wouldn't be tempted -- fortunately no longer necessary now. Btw, you are doing a really great jobs, your menus look perfect.
@shelley262 -- Potato fibers give the cauli mash (or the celeriac mash) a bit of a potatoish flavor, so this is in addition to improving the texture. The potato fibers I order have about 8g of carbs per 100g, but you only need very little of it in the mash. I use three tablespoons of potato fiber for a whole head of cauliflour (so an additional 2g of carbs altogether) and the mash usually lasts for around 5 days -- so in terms of carbs, it is really negligible.

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. A DD keto roll, one half with h/m mayonnaise and roastbeef, the other half with mayonnaise and cheese. Two scrambled eggs.

Lunch: Nothing.

Late afternoon: (Really hungry after recording lectures all day) macadamia nuts, roquefort and Kaltbach cheese, turkey salami and cornichons. Red wine.

Dinner: Nothing.

I must admit I looked up Beerenburg, which this site sells, but it also sells sooooooo much more: https://www.holland-at-home.com/en/

Reactions: ziggy_w

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I had a bad day yesterday and binged on dark chocolate abit
But today will be a better day!
For today be happy to choose sensible. Which can also be delicious. Have you looked up low carb chocolate mug cakes?
Ready in just a few minutes. Gives that chocolate hit without the guilt and for extra luxury serve with cream. Enjoy.

Reactions: DJC3

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
For today be happy to choose sensible. Which can also be delicious. Have you looked up low carb chocolate mug cakes?
Ready in just a few minutes. Gives that chocolate hit without the guilt and for extra luxury serve with cream. Enjoy.
I will look these up thank you!

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Beerenburg is very popular in the province of Fryslân, where I live, and also strongly associated with sailing. It's based on jenever, which is funnily the word which led to your gin!
Jenever is distilled from barley, rye and corn, and flavoured with juniper. To turn it into beerenburg herbs and spices are added, but exactly which ones is a secret. It has around 30% alcohol, no carbs :)
I must admit I looked up Beerenburg, which this site sells, but it also sells sooooooo much more: https://www.holland-at-home.com/en/
And everything is about 3 times the price you pay here! :wideyed:
On the other hand, if you really want to you could try a rookworst! :hungry:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Beerenburg is very popular in the province of Fryslân, where I live, and also strongly associated with sailing. It's based on jenever, which is funnily the word which led to your gin!
Jenever is distilled from barley, rye and corn, and flavoured with juniper. To turn it into beerenburg herbs and spices are added, but exactly which ones is a secret. It has around 30% alcohol, no carbs :)

And everything is about 3 times the price you pay here! :wideyed:
On the other hand, if you really want to you could try a rookworst! :hungry:

Yes, I thought it was pricy, but for me there was a few reminders of my days living in Germany, and scuttling into The Netherlands some weekends.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Breakfast

I was lucky enough to get fresh farm eggs from my neighbour who got them from her friend she visited recently and she doesn't cook as she orders eats lite and easy meals so she gave me 8 fresh eggs which I accepted with thanks I'm a big egg eater so was appreciated and nothing beats fresh eggs took me back when I was younger we had backyard chicken and the best eggs

breakfast made fried ham and eggs on a slice of sour dough butter black coffee the eggs were so yummy...

Mowed my lawn this afternoon but by time dinner popped around realised hadn’t taken anything out of freezer was a little bit hungry as well so for Lunch/dinner find pasta in my cupboard so made pasta with red pesto sauce I actually measured the amount of pasta that is recommended on the pack for one person but only managed to eat half of it. So leftovers for another meal time. But it got me thinking about pasta or other carby foods as I've never measured what the recommended amount of pasta should be eaten I mean who does! when I ate pasta more frequently before being T2D and trying lower carb I would of eaten at least double serves not realising how much carbs are in a serve but based it on low fat eating certainly makes you think.

Snack a peach

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I thought it was pricy, but for me there was a few reminders of my days living in Germany, and scuttling into The Netherlands some weekends.
Sometimes buying something too expensive is very much worth the good memories that go along with it!

For the last couple of days I have mainly eaten leftover soup but very busy in the kitchen today with a festive meal. Not because of a special occasion but just because I can!

I already made the string beans with sambal badjak (a hot sauce), onion and garlic. I also made spicy mushrooms with chilli pepper, garlic, spring onion, soy sauce and ketjap (a sweet soy sauce). Will make mixed vegetables now: broccoli, bok choi, leek, cucumber and bell pepper to eat with a spicy peanut sauce, which I'll also have to make. Marinated chopped pork belly strips yesterday, so tonight (and the next 3 days or so) I'll only have to put the meat in the oven, reheat the peanut sauce and put a plate with the mixed veggies, mushrooms and string beans in the microwave :)

Last edited:

Sugarlisa

Breakfast was yogurt and blackberries with black currant herbal tea and water

Lunch was a lettuce wrap with salad and wafer ham inside with a glass of squash

Tea is cooking at present which is low cal cheeseburger casserole from the diet doc with salad and jalapeño with a glass of sugar free squash

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke at 3.30 (3.4) but went back to sleep - win. No idea if Swipey’s 4.4@ 6.35 was accurate. B= Assam TWAMIS mucho bucketos: Dockey: CWCSFCS and 3 Advent Calendar pralines; Lunch: SB beef sandwich,and tea and a little Kaltbach; EM : 2 Poached eggs and smashed avos on SB toast and 3 x 1.4 gms sqs Waitrose 1 90%. Comfortable with that lot taste wise..

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sugarlisa you are doing really well with your choices and avoiding temptation it will get easier over time plus count me in for the gin meet up! I love gin with soda water.
@ziggy_w thanks for info re potato fibre it’s a bit pricey here as it’s manufactured and sourced in Germany but may well try it - in the description they also suggest it as a flour for bread etc so will probably buy it and experiment when my oat fibre is used up. Would probably work as a thickener for gravy or sauce too.
Breakfast - two slices of my new LC loaf - @ianpspurs you’d be happier with the ingredients used in my latest loaf I swapped out butter in my recipe for extra virgin olive oil and went down to one egg which for 30slices is minimal. It tasted wonderful and probably because of the OO the crust was crustier.will let you know next week how my no egg version trial works out, I’m making changes slowly to see what works so having a trial next week at leaving egg out. I also think it should keep better if no egg or butter. Will post adapted recipe and photo if my no egg version works.
Lunch one slice of lc toast with cheese and one hm truffle
Dinner two lamb chops, stuffed mushrooms, a few new potato chips and salad. Pudding DGF lemon and blueberry cake with cream.
Managed swim early today and one booked for first thing tomorrow. Decorating will be finished this evening at youngest sons so his dog is going back to Brum tomorrow afternoon - he will be missed.