Abstenuary February, anyone?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya @Pipp personally I don’t intend to give up almond flour it’s the overdoing of nuts I think that’s the real issue. I do a bread with no nut flour instead using vital wheat gluten if you are not gluten intolerant - I’m lucky in that I can eat gluten . I’m still going to have a few sweet treats made with almond flour - as few carbs in a very small portion. My problem is snacking on nuts and keeping going back to nut tin. I’m not a nut butter addict thankfully but realise that snacking nuts are too much for me.
Thanks, @shelley262 . I think I was most likely in denial, classing almond flour with the big bag of almonds we always have in the larder. Most likely could do without the almond flour bread, but to never have the almonds to munch on, or walnuts with my morning yogurt, is a bit of a blow. Yet needs must, I guess. Just wondering what can I use as a replacement comfort food.
It looks as if I could do with a total rethink of my diet.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, Abstenruary started for me by giving up breakfast, cutting down majorly on wine and chocolate and putting the bag of nuts in the cupboard.
First couple of days no change to weight or bgs, then 4 days in row of fbg 4.8 or 4.9 which is longest lowest run ever. Thought, yes , cracked it.
But since then fbgs be up to high 5s, even a 6, weight up 4 lb .
What is going on? Support needed

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kept to my food and exercise plan today. I’ve lost 3 kgs since reducing my portion sizes, so very happy with that :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, Abstenruary started for me by giving up breakfast, cutting down majorly on wine and chocolate and putting the bag of nuts in the cupboard.
First couple of days no change to weight or bgs, then 4 days in row of fbg 4.8 or 4.9 which is longest lowest run ever. Thought, yes , cracked it.
But since then fbgs be up to high 5s, even a 6, weight up 4 lb .
What is going on? Support needed

No idea what’s going on but happy to offer support.
It happens to me quite a lot and I’ve no idea why, sometimes everything works the way it’s supposed to, then, just when you think you’ve cracked it, it turns out you haven’t!
All we can do is keep plugging away, and know that whatever the results, they would have been a lot worse if we’d carried on our old ways. Stick with it, you’re doing great.

Reactions: MrsA2

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been looking at Diet doctor dairy free meal plans. They look good, as many of their recipes do, BUT a lot have nuts in. Presumably this is to compensate for the fat in cheese and cream. It’s going to be a ****** to give up nuts as well as cream I can see.
I’m happy to buy packets of ground almonds for cooking, but buying packets of whole nuts to use in recipes/ salads etc really is going to be a cause for concern.
I might end up going back to carnivore yet @Goonergal - things are looking a tad complicated, meat is, at least, simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. @MrsA2 sorry you’re struggling. Perhaps start a thread with your question - it’d likely be helpful to many people and will avoid derailing this one. Have a few thoughts so promise you’ll get at least one response :D

@DJC3 since going mainly carnivore, I’ve not felt much need to add fats to food - mostly I go for the fattier cuts and the juices boiled down make a decent sauce (but then I’ve never been much of a sauce/mixed up flavours on a plate kind of person).

Doing well on the avoidance of choc front. Probably helped by not going out so much (i.e. walking past fewer shops!) but the cravings post eating seem to be dissipating too.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found sticking to my plan today hard, especially after going for a bitterly cold walk, felt cold and hungry on getting home, but just warmed up with a black coffee. So ended up not straying from my plan.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 I can identify with all you are experiencing regarding diet atm.
Full on carnivore a bit too much for my digestion to cope with though. I need the leafy veg. I am beginning to think giving up cream, nuts and reducing cheese was a bit too ambitious, too. I have started to crave carbs. Resisted so far. No change in weight. Have had some strange highs and lows of BG, with bigger variance, although daily averages the same as usual. Though too many variables changed to draw conclusion. Including a covid jab, and less getting outside due to weather, and incresed asthma symptoms.
Plodding on.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. @MrsA2 sorry you’re struggling. Perhaps start a thread with your question - it’d likely be helpful to many people and will avoid derailing this one. Have a few thoughts so promise you’ll get at least one response :D

@DJC3 since going mainly carnivore, I’ve not felt much need to add fats to food - mostly I go for the fattier cuts and the juices boiled down make a decent sauce (but then I’ve never been much of a sauce/mixed up flavours on a plate kind of person).

Doing well on the avoidance of choc front. Probably helped by not going out so much (i.e. walking past fewer shops!) but the cravings post eating seem to be dissipating too.

Well done on choc avoidance. I nearly caved in yesterday. I had an email saying Montezuma’s were having a sale on Absolute Black. I got as far as clicking on ‘buy’ for the mixed selection box before seeing it was sold out. Phew! Hastily left the site then.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I can identify with all you are experiencing regarding diet atm.
Full on carnivore a bit too much for my digestion to cope with though. I need the leafy veg. I am beginning to think giving up cream, nuts and reducing cheese was a bit too ambitious, too. I have started to crave carbs. Resisted so far. No change in weight. Have had some strange highs and lows of BG, with bigger variance, although daily averages the same as usual. Though too many variables changed to draw conclusion. Including a covid jab, and less getting outside due to weather, and incresed asthma symptoms.
Plodding on.

We seem to be both plodding on. It’s a good description; not much else we can do I guess.
I’m finding cream and nuts easier to do without at the moment as it was only me who ate them, so I don’t need to buy them ( and as I don’t go shopping much these days it’s not so hard there either)!
Cheese is harder as everyone here eats it so there’s always a ton of it in the fridge looking at me. Like you I’m trying to reduce cheese rather than give up entirely. Not sure I’m ready for that yet.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on choc avoidance. I nearly caved in yesterday. I had an email saying Montezuma’s were having a sale on Absolute Black. I got as far as clicking on ‘buy’ for the mixed selection box before seeing it was sold out. Phew! Hastily left the site then.
It’s so easy to get tempted by a sale and a buy now button. I saw a news article about the Cornish cheese company who had a cheese mountain because hospitality businesses who they supply didn’t need it and their new massive batch of Cornish blue would be past best beforeany reopening. So of course I went to look at their site and all smaller wedges sold out so how did I end up buying a 1kg lump which was available! It’s due by DPD on Tuesday- although after reading your story about dpd @Mrs T 123 I’m crossing fingers it turns up! May well be gifting some to others as can’t plan a cheese and wine party and trying to keep cheese portions low! The tempting stuff is definitely harder to pass by!

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s so easy to get tempted by a sale and a buy now button. I saw a news article about the Cornish cheese company who had a cheese mountain because hospitality businesses who they supply didn’t need it and their new massive batch of Cornish blue would be past best beforeany reopening. So of course I went to look at their site and all smaller wedges sold out so how did I end up buying a 1kg lump which was available! It’s due by DPD on Tuesday- although after reading your story about dpd @Mrs T 123 I’m crossing fingers it turns up! May well be gifting some to others as can’t plan a cheese and wine party and trying to keep cheese portions low! The tempting stuff is definitely harder to pass by!
I think it's just me who has had probs with them (surprise surprise) - they were in my street delivering yesterday but not for me! yesterday's excuse for not delivering was "due to an unexpected issue". I am sure you will be fine ...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven’t strictly kept to plan today :wideyed: I had a planned day off walking, waiting for the milder weather we are due this coming week. However food went a bit pear shaped as hubby offered to cook the roast! It was so nice having dinner cooked and my blood sugars have been in the fours all day, so had a tiny roast potato and a tiny Yorkshire pudding with my meat and veg!

Reactions: shelley262

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Time for an update from me. :)

Haven't had any choc for ages (since my first post on this thread).
Amazingly easy! Really I have forgotten about it.

Re-introducing plant foods has been much more challenging.
My guts are happily coping with nuts and seeds, but can only tolerate around 1 portion of veg a day, and sometimes not even that. 5 portions a week seems doable, from things like courgettes, peas, mushrooms. I’ll be making broccoli and stilton soup this week. Which will do my lunches. I am loving hummus again.

it has been fun having more variety and there has been a proportional decrease in animal products. But i still feel a teensy bit of relief when I have a meal that is 100% carni. Because I know there won’t be any repercussions.

overall, am rather pleased.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgive me thread for I have sinned once again...and also forgive me for a non abstinence post..

The last tub of Oppo in the freezer has been calling to me and I have succumbed the past 2 nights (as well as hubby's 70% cooking dark chocolate! which is surprisingly nice and only £1 a 100g bar in Waitrose, the excuse last night being "valentines").

Even more annoyingly on waking both mornings I am lighter! Is this the start of an oppo and dark cooking chocolate phase... hmmm not sure but..

The things I'd do for you lot!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is the view I have everyday

upload_2021-2-15_11-28-30.png

I am in a good place as I am able to take the chocolate without slipping to the left. It got me thinking about food quality, with a wave of guilt. I realised how lucky I am, today I made coconut flat breads rollups with duck scrambled eggs, berries, waitrose Greek yogurt and Waitrose creme fraiche

(fillings: bacon, smoked salmon, duck)
upload_2021-2-15_11-45-56.png

I have been fortunate enough to eat like this for few years, making Keto / Carnivore easy. Having seen what is distributed to families in need of support over this time, I am not sure of the point I am making, but I do feel a little uneasy. But keeping with the thread, the variety means nuts...what nuts.

Reactions: Goonergal and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kept to plan and more today. I’ve been aiming to walk at least one mile a day, but today I walked two, which isn’t much for some but believe me it’s an achievement for me after foot surgery last summer. The temperature was in double figures which helped! Food wise kept to plan :)

Edit for typo

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So far this month:
Nuts avoided, with exception of very small amount of ground almonds.
Cheese less than 4 ozs
Chocolate none
Cream none
However, no discernable reduction in fasting or other blood glucose levels, and a weight increase of 0.8kg. Could be due to the slight increase in butter and yogurt consumption.

As it is now the season of Lent, going to stick with the no cream, or nuts, but do some fasting, too. Following low carb enough fat, and daily average over the week of 900 cals. Mixing it up, so some days more food than others.
I did eat low carb pancakes last night as a final feast.
Of course, Sundays are traditionally exempt from fasting, so red wine will still be on the menu.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Note to self. A 4 hour eating window doesn’t mean eating continuously for the 4 hours! The less said about today the better. At least the barred chocolate has stayed off the menu.