What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He is out now & has been out a lot since he got home...comes in when called that's such a relief & hi is enjoying his life so are we.
It is so lovely he is enjoying his life again.and

Archie had a stroke about 5 weeks ago and we thought that the vet would put him down, but he made a full recovery. It is lovely that he is enjoying life again.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It must be very obvious to you all that I'm not happy with LC just now. Maybe I need to establish some realistic expectations. I know the official >42 A1c guidelines (feels too high for me) but what is the consensus on here? Also, I've never considered saying I'm in remission - where do folks feel that starts?

Last edited:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

4.7 today

Apologies, suffering from a bit of burn out I think :(

I will have to try to book a blood test for my annual review shortly, not looking forward to it for some reason

Seeing the progress towards Spring and more 'normal' life is great but I'm ashamed to say that it seems to have aroused a weird childish streak in me the last couple of days. I want it 'NOW' how silly is that, I'm usually so rational.

No hugs required, I'll be fine, it just took me by suprise :)

We managed to get some garden tidying done at mum's yesterday, finished chopping at her frost damaged hedge and a couple of bushes and had a bonfire to get rid of the bits, which felt like progress :)

Now to go back through the posts I've missed and catch up. So glad to be part of this community :joyful:

art bit -
I need to do the next batch of scanning - this is one of those paintings inspired by Adrienne Pavelka

upload_2021-3-1_13-47-0.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

4.7 today

I will have to try to book a blood test for my annual review shortly, not looking forward to it for some reason

Seeing the progress towards Spring and more 'normal' life is great but I'm ashamed to say that it seems to have aroused a weird childish streak in me the last couple of days. I want it 'NOW' how silly is that, I'm usually so rational.

We managed to get some garden tidying done at mum's yesterday, finished chopping at her frost damaged hedge and a couple of bushes and had a bonfire to get rid of the bits, which felt like progress :)

Now to go back through the posts I've missed and catch up. So glad to be part of this community :joyful:

art bit -
I need to do the next batch of scanning - one of those paintings inspired by Adrienne Pavelka

View attachment 47764
Sympathy for the concern over blood tests. Rationally, if anyone here should breeze into the Drs knowing full well tests would confirm just how excellent is their control you should. But we aren't chemicals in a test tube. As far as rational is concerned you are but being rational misses all the best parts of life. Another piece of art much to my taste.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That was really bad of the insurance company. Thank goodness you were really 'on the ball ' and didn't let them get away with it.
It was a combination of the emergency vets (not our own one) & the insurance company...the emergency vet made a diagnosis during the triage examination said it was a stress condition without any further investigation & the insurers seized on that...I soon kicked that into touch they picked on the wrong cat.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

4.7 today

art bit -
I need to do the next batch of scanning - this is one of those paintings inspired by Adrienne Pavelka

View attachment 47764
I am suffering from a bit of irrationality on something at the mo @geefull so, I would like to offer this hug.
t4617.gif

We just have to talk ourselves into a better place over it all. I get annoyed with myself because I feel I have wasted a day or part of it doing this irrationality bit...it is just trying to cope in these difficult times. And I think it is a valid feeling. So be kind to you.

Anothery great painting. I like it. Sculptural hills and sand.

Take care.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It must be very obvious to you all that I'm not happy with LC just now. Maybe I need to establish some realistic expectations. I know the official >42 A1c guidelines (feels too high for me) but what is the consensus on here? Also, I've never considered saying I'm in remission - where do folks feel that starts?

I am never too sure about this topic as the medics of the world chop and change depending whereabouts on the planet you get out of bed in the morning and what year you are in. It’s a bit like our “5 a day” or “10,000 steps”. USA I seem to remember dropped into the new normal a couple of years ago with 4 (20) to 5.6 (38), then prediabetes at 5.7 (39) to 6.4 (46) and diabetes at .65 (48) and above. I think those figures are right but do check. So getting the numbers down to 38 if yo want to dive that deep.
I guess that eventually there will be a dead good pill or a bit of gene splicing and then an expensive watch like the promised Samsung one that gives your blood sugars (long term savings on the discs perhaps).
I have just stopped thinking about it too much and pretty much stay away from food that is white or contains ingredients that are white - apart from salt and cream and egg whites (e before i has exceptions I believe).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am never too sure about this topic as the medics of the world chop and change depending whereabouts on the planet you get out of bed in the morning and what year you are in. It’s a bit like our “5 a day” or “10,000 steps”. USA I seem to remember dropped into the new normal a couple of years ago with 4 (20) to 5.6 (38), then prediabetes at 5.7 (39) to 6.4 (46) and diabetes at .65 (48) and above. I think those figures are right but do check. So getting the numbers down to 38 if yo want to dive that deep.
I guess that eventually there will be a dead good pill or a bit of gene splicing and then an expensive watch like the promised Samsung one that gives your blood sugars (long term savings on the discs perhaps).
I have just stopped thinking about it too much and pretty much stay away from food that is white or contains ingredients that are white - apart from salt and cream and egg whites (e before i has exceptions I believe).
Thank you for the reply. 38 seems more realistic than 42 and 48 way too high. I would be interested in other people's ideas/opinions. This is all to much like wiggling a loose tooth for me. I am beginning to regret reading this. I probably shouldn't follow up on footnote 73:arghh:

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am suffering from a bit of irrationality on something at the mo @geefull so, I would like to offer this hug.
t4617.gif

We just have to talk ourselves into a better place over it all. I get annoyed with myself because I feel I have wasted a day or part of it doing this irrationality bit...it is just trying to cope in these difficult times. And I think it is a valid feeling. So be kind to you.

Anothery great painting. I like it. Sculptural hills and sand.

Take care.
It's not surprising gennepher in the current climate really...I have some days when I feel more positive then others...the working from home online shopping I rarely go out...vaccination next week if my INR levels are in good range so everything is contingent on so many uncontrollable factors...considering we're still relatively sane we're doing okay.

Reactions: jjraak

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes

Hmmmm very interesting, I cannot provide numbers and as already pointed out official guideline numbers change over time, sometimes who shouts loudest becoming the accepted normal.
Bitter experience has proved to me that Low Carb does not work for me, I need carbs to function, but I avoid the high carb foods, it's a very fine balancing act.

I would never expect to put a number on remission, for the stated reasons.

What I can add is that I analyse how I feel and how much energy I have and make adjustments accordingly.

I live with diabetes and other more dangerous health conditions, but above all else I try not to let these complications dictate my life.
Life is for living and bringing enjoyment into lives.
Sinatra sang about " I did it my way " not a bad epitaph.

My tuppence worth, now dig out the roller skates and enjoy your third childhood.

Reactions: RFSMarch

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I always set my Libre to what is expected of 'normal' folk, but I guess my data is skewed because I manage with a mixture of meds and LC.

Then again - I firmly believe that we can only ever put our diabetes into remission (as T2s). It is a debate I have with my cousin's husband A LOT. He claims a lot about reversal but he and my cousin eat the same stuff that landed them with a diabetes diagnosis, only going back to being well behaved 4 months or so before their next test. Neither of them monitor their BG in any way. Both are overweight and moan about not losing any weight, but neither want to change their eating habits in the long term. Always the short term prior to their annual blood letting and then back to the old ways.

For me, remission would be consistently at the level non-diabetics would be at... so for me that would be BELOW pre-diabetic levels, with NO meds. That sounds like it could be likely for you if you break whatever plateau you are balancing on now... and I liken that to the plateaus you get trying to lose weight via calorie deficits (a la MFP) when it takes a while to drop that final threshold.

FWIW I think you will achieve that magic 'remission' word and keep below that level, but appreciate right now it must be as frustrating as hell for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: alf_Josiah

lindisfel

Expert

4.7 today

art bit -

View attachment 47764

Oh dear geeful, but I just can't see you morphing into Veruca Salt! :)

Reactions: ianpspurs

lindisfel

Expert
I always set my Libre to what is expected of 'normal' folk, but I guess my data is skewed because I manage with a mixture of meds and LC.

Then again - I firmly believe that we can only ever put our diabetes into remission (as T2s). It is a debate I have with my cousin's husband A LOT. He claims a lot about reversal but he and my cousin eat the same stuff that landed them with a diabetes diagnosis, only going back to being well behaved 4 months or so before their next test. Neither of them monitor their BG in any way. Both are overweight and moan about not losing any, but neither want to change their eating habits in the long term. Always the short term prior to their annual blood letting and then back to the old ways.

For me, remission would be consistently at the level non-diabetics would be at... so for me that would be BELOW pre-diabetic levels, with NO meds. That sounds like it could be likely for you if you break whatever plateau you are balancing on now... and I liken that to the plateaus you get trying to lose weight via calorie deficits (a la MFP) when it takes a while to drop that final threshold.

FWIW I think you will achieve that magic 'remission' word and keep below that level, but appreciate right now it must be as frustrating as hell for you.
Remission is fine Ian, but claiming being cured is decidedly risky.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
Hmmmm very interesting, I cannot provide numbers and as already pointed out official guideline numbers change over time, sometimes who shouts loudest becoming the accepted normal.
Bitter experience has proved to me that Low Carb does not work for me, I need carbs to function, but I avoid the high carb foods, it's a very fine balancing act.

I would never expect to put a number on remission, for the stated reasons.

What I can add is that I analyse how I feel and how much energy I have and make adjustments accordingly.

I live with diabetes and other more dangerous health conditions, but above all else I try not to let these complications dictate my life.
Life is for living and bringing enjoyment into lives.
Sinatra sang about " I did it my way " not a bad epitaph.

My tuppence worth, now dig out the roller skates and enjoy your third childhood.
Great post Alf!

lindisfel

Expert
Thank you for the reply. 38 seems more realistic than 42 and 48 way too high. I would be interested in other people's ideas/opinions. This is all to much like wiggling a loose tooth for me. I am beginning to regret reading this. I probably shouldn't follow up on footnote 73:arghh:
42 is the start of prediabetic in UK.
48 is the start of diabetic in UK.
38 is said to be the start of damage to one's cardiovascular system.

But I can't believe if all of us were on 38 we are equal!
It depends on a number of factors, not least is how long we hang on to our red blood cells.

I think hba1c is just a finger in the wind!

Then again I have reactive hypoglycaemia so hba1c is just the area under the graph.
D.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows

Then again - I firmly believe that we can only ever put our diabetes into remission (as T2s). It is a debate I have with my cousin's husband A LOT. He claims a lot about reversal but he and my cousin eat the same stuff that landed them with a diabetes diagnosis, only going back to being well behaved 4 months or so before their next test. Neither of them monitor their BG in any way. Both are overweight and moan about not losing any, but neither want to change their eating habits in the long term. Always the short term prior to their annual blood letting and then back to the old ways.

I'm brand new, relatively speaking to the wonders of Diabetes with a formal T2 diagnosis in January this year with an initial HbA1c over 70, now dropped into the high 40s.

My regular diabetes nurse is a miracle and basically says - the lower the number, the better the quality of life. So, to get there all refined carbs and sugars have gone, beer is a distant memory, desserts kicked into touch...exercise now up there too.

I'm on Metformin but aiming to ditch that when it's feasible for me...

I'm aiming at 38 HbA1c by June - a tough target, but that's the goal...

Listen, we're all on your side and support comes as standard

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning I haven't been here for such a long time...lots of issues to deal with that seemed never ending...first my niece got covid & ended up in hospital she has been home for a few weeks & is slowly recovering...second poor Charlie got so terribly ill & there were two questions 1)can he recover 2) kinder to put him to sleep... this went on for a month & he was an inpatient at our vets for just over three weeks...finally after horrendous surgery & many other invasive treatments he is home we got him back a little over five days ago he can now go out & is enjoying his freedom again...we still need to keep an eye on him but so far he is doing well...the vets bills have gone up to another level insurance did cover some of it but there was still a sizable sum to cover...so no luxuries or treats the rest of this year but we'd rather have him...FBG hasn't been the first thing on my mind understandably normal service will resume when I feel ready...
Good to see you popping in to say hi and bring us up to spec with news as traumatic as it's been for you lately. Hugs for the stress in your life but winner for getting Charlie through his health issues. Take care.

Reactions: HarryBeau