1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UserABC2021, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

It is so lovely he is enjoying his life again.and

Archie had a stroke about 5 weeks ago and we thought that the vet would put him down, but he made a full recovery. It is lovely that he is enjoying life again.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 (in remission!) · Master

It must be very obvious to you all that I'm not happy with LC just now. Maybe I need to establish some realistic expectations. I know the official >42 A1c guidelines (feels too high for me) but what is the consensus on here? Also, I've never considered saying I'm in remission - where do folks feel that starts?

• Informative Informative x 7
    #40422 ianpspurs, Mar 1, 2021 at 1:47 PM
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  3. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

good afternoon all :)

4.7 today

Apologies, suffering from a bit of burn out I think :(

I will have to try to book a blood test for my annual review shortly, not looking forward to it for some reason

Seeing the progress towards Spring and more 'normal' life is great but I'm ashamed to say that it seems to have aroused a weird childish streak in me the last couple of days. I want it 'NOW' how silly is that, I'm usually so rational.

No hugs required, I'll be fine, it just took me by suprise :)

We managed to get some garden tidying done at mum's yesterday, finished chopping at her frost damaged hedge and a couple of bushes and had a bonfire to get rid of the bits, which felt like progress :)

Now to go back through the posts I've missed and catch up. So glad to be part of this community :joyful:

art bit -
    I need to do the next batch of scanning - this is one of those paintings inspired by Adrienne Pavelka

upload_2021-3-1_13-47-0.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ianpspurs

Sympathy for the concern over blood tests. Rationally, if anyone here should breeze into the Drs knowing full well tests would confirm just how excellent is their control you should. But we aren't chemicals in a test tube. As far as rational is concerned you are but being rational misses all the best parts of life. Another piece of art much to my taste.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    #40424 ianpspurs, Mar 1, 2021 at 2:00 PM
  5. HarryBeau

HarryBeau Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ahh well done Archie it's such a relief when they come through

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. HarryBeau

It was a combination of the emergency vets (not our own one) & the insurance company...the emergency vet made a diagnosis during the triage examination said it was a stress condition without any further investigation & the insurers seized on that...I soon kicked that into touch they picked on the wrong cat.

• Winner Winner x 4
  7. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Expert

I am suffering from a bit of irrationality on something at the mo @geefull so, I would like to offer this hug.
    [​IMG]

We just have to talk ourselves into a better place over it all. I get annoyed with myself because I feel I have wasted a day or part of it doing this irrationality bit...it is just trying to cope in these difficult times. And I think it is a valid feeling. So be kind to you.

Anothery great painting. I like it. Sculptural hills and sand.

Take care.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I am never too sure about this topic as the medics of the world chop and change depending whereabouts on the planet you get out of bed in the morning and what year you are in. It’s a bit like our “5 a day” or “10,000 steps”. USA I seem to remember dropped into the new normal a couple of years ago with 4 (20) to 5.6 (38), then prediabetes at 5.7 (39) to 6.4 (46) and diabetes at .65 (48) and above. I think those figures are right but do check. So getting the numbers down to 38 if yo want to dive that deep.
    I guess that eventually there will be a dead good pill or a bit of gene splicing and then an expensive watch like the promised Samsung one that gives your blood sugars (long term savings on the discs perhaps).
    I have just stopped thinking about it too much and pretty much stay away from food that is white or contains ingredients that are white - apart from salt and cream and egg whites (e before i has exceptions I believe).

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. ianpspurs

Thank you for the reply. 38 seems more realistic than 42 and 48 way too high. I would be interested in other people's ideas/opinions. This is all to much like wiggling a loose tooth for me. I am beginning to regret reading this. I probably shouldn't follow up on footnote 73:arghh:

• Informative Informative x 2
    #40429 ianpspurs, Mar 1, 2021 at 3:10 PM
  10. HarryBeau

It's not surprising gennepher in the current climate really...I have some days when I feel more positive then others...the working from home online shopping I rarely go out...vaccination next week if my INR levels are in good range so everything is contingent on so many uncontrollable factors...considering we're still relatively sane we're doing okay.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hmmmm very interesting, I cannot provide numbers and as already pointed out official guideline numbers change over time, sometimes who shouts loudest becoming the accepted normal.
    Bitter experience has proved to me that Low Carb does not work for me, I need carbs to function, but I avoid the high carb foods, it's a very fine balancing act.

I would never expect to put a number on remission, for the stated reasons.

What I can add is that I analyse how I feel and how much energy I have and make adjustments accordingly.

I live with diabetes and other more dangerous health conditions, but above all else I try not to let these complications dictate my life.
    Life is for living and bringing enjoyment into lives.
    Sinatra sang about " I did it my way " not a bad epitaph.

My tuppence worth, now dig out the roller skates and enjoy your third childhood.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. RFSMarch

RFSMarch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I always set my Libre to what is expected of 'normal' folk, but I guess my data is skewed because I manage with a mixture of meds and LC.

Then again - I firmly believe that we can only ever put our diabetes into remission (as T2s). It is a debate I have with my cousin's husband A LOT. He claims a lot about reversal but he and my cousin eat the same stuff that landed them with a diabetes diagnosis, only going back to being well behaved 4 months or so before their next test. Neither of them monitor their BG in any way. Both are overweight and moan about not losing any weight, but neither want to change their eating habits in the long term. Always the short term prior to their annual blood letting and then back to the old ways.

For me, remission would be consistently at the level non-diabetics would be at... so for me that would be BELOW pre-diabetic levels, with NO meds. That sounds like it could be likely for you if you break whatever plateau you are balancing on now... and I liken that to the plateaus you get trying to lose weight via calorie deficits (a la MFP) when it takes a while to drop that final threshold.

FWIW I think you will achieve that magic 'remission' word and keep below that level, but appreciate right now it must be as frustrating as hell for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #40432 RFSMarch, Mar 1, 2021 at 4:00 PM
  13. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Oh dear geeful, but I just can't see you morphing into Veruca Salt! :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. lindisfel

Remission is fine Ian, but claiming being cured is decidedly risky.
    D.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. lindisfel

Great post Alf!

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
  16. lindisfel

42 is the start of prediabetic in UK.
    48 is the start of diabetic in UK.
    38 is said to be the start of damage to one's cardiovascular system.

But I can't believe if all of us were on 38 we are equal!
    It depends on a number of factors, not least is how long we hang on to our red blood cells.

I think hba1c is just a finger in the wind!

Then again I have reactive hypoglycaemia so hba1c is just the area under the graph.
    D.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  17. BRSBRI

BRSBRI Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm brand new, relatively speaking to the wonders of Diabetes with a formal T2 diagnosis in January this year with an initial HbA1c over 70, now dropped into the high 40s.

My regular diabetes nurse is a miracle and basically says - the lower the number, the better the quality of life. So, to get there all refined carbs and sugars have gone, beer is a distant memory, desserts kicked into touch...exercise now up there too.

I'm on Metformin but aiming to ditch that when it's feasible for me...

I'm aiming at 38 HbA1c by June - a tough target, but that's the goal...

Listen, we're all on your side and support comes as standard

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Quote for today FB_IMG_1567706869258.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. BRSBRI

BRSBRI Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Muddy Cyclist

Muddy Cyclist Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good to see you popping in to say hi and bring us up to spec with news as traumatic as it's been for you lately. Hugs for the stress in your life but winner for getting Charlie through his health issues. Take care.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook