Celebrating real foods

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having used ‘Abstenuary February’ for a bit of a reset, I’m setting up this thread for those who want to chat about low carb real foods.

Quite genuinely, for me, there is no general sense of ‘loss’ or need to replace the ‘beige’ carbs, but addiction issues mean that staying away from processed foods, whether they be the ‘full-sugar’ or ‘low-carb’ versions of things like bread or sweet ‘treats’, or even nut butters, is really important.

So having reset and cut out the stuff I don’t want, the idea of this thread is to be more positive/celebratory in tone and to share ideas about real foods, whether that be what you’ve eaten today, an interesting recipe or just the positive impact eating low carb real foods is having on your diabetes (kind of taking it as read that this doesn’t include banana milkshakes or fruit smoothies :D:D).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fab idea!

I am currently very much enjoying a batch of stuffed peppers . Hot or cold, they are equally delicious.

they are baby peppers, sliced lengthways, stuffed with cream cheese, sprinkled with jalapeño dried flakes - but any cheese or sausage or other choice would do. Then wrapped in smoked streaky bacon and into the oven for 20 mins at 180 degrees.

There are all sorts of variations for this recipe online, and the ones that use whole jalapeños rejoice in the delightful name of ‘atomic buffalo turds’. Google it, if you don’t believe me. A highly questionable name, but a delicious food.

The ones I make are just the 4 simple real food ingredients. I resisted the temptation to jazz them up with other stuff out of bottles and jars.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the idea of this thread although lazy as I am, ever since I had my list of food items sorted, I have rarely deviated or tried finding new recipes... :D

All I can say is, I do a reset ever few days by completing an extended fast of 60+ hours. When I do eat, it is Low Carb food and the reduced BG is motivation enough for me to not stray from this diet.

Also, worth mentioning that every time I complete my extended fast, the sense of achievement is very high which coupled with positive health benefits has most definitely helped in keeping my mindset hopeful and positive. :)

Reactions: DJC3

Hotpepper20000

Does bacon count as real low carb food? It’s really the only thing I eat that comes in a package besides cheese and yogurt
My go to right now is bacon and avocado for breakfast. I’ve had to start eating breakfast again after years fasting in the morning because of pain meds for a bulging disc.
last night I made lamb meat balls with cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and chille with a yogurt garlics sauce.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does bacon count as real low carb food? It’s really the only thing I eat that comes in a package besides cheese and yogurt

I think so. At least, it does in my world. So does cream cheese (see my post above).
We have to live in the real world, don't we? And unless we are running our own small holding, with our own pigs and sides of bacon hanging from the rafters, we have to buy the stuff. I did make some of my own bacon a year or two back (used the River Cottage recipe), which was surprisingly easy, and delicious. But I think I over-cured it a bit, since it was rather hard.

Hotpepper20000

I think so. At least, it does in my world. So does cream cheese (see my post above).
We have to live in the real world, don't we? And unless we are running our own small holding, with our own pigs and sides of bacon hanging from the rafters, we have to buy the stuff. I did make some of my own bacon a year or two back (used the River Cottage recipe), which was surprisingly easy, and delicious. But I think I over-cured it a bit, since it was rather hard.
I agree, we usually try to make sure the bacon come from a local farmer so even better.
I think I will be trying the pepper recipe. I have everything in my fridge.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad this has sparked some interest.

@nutribolt get where you’re coming from. I’ve always been a fusspot when it comes to food, which is why keto and carnivore appeal to me - never did like too many things on the same plate or cared too much for sauces. However, I am trying to expand my limited horizons a bit by experimenting with meat and fish that either I haven’t had before or haven’t cooked for myself. Courtesy of Waitrose and their 3 for £10 offer, next week I’ll be taking delivery of veal mince, venison mince, venison steaks, fresh tuna and wild Keta salmon, among other things. I’m in awe of your long fasts.

@Hotpepper20000 bacon definitely counts - sounds like you’re ahead of the game on real foods, but sorry about the disc pain.

And without wanting to lower the tone too much, @Brunneria, looking at some of those recipes, the spicier ones would definitely have me producing my own ‘atomic turds’. :D:hilarious:

Hotpepper20000

Glad this has sparked some interest.

@nutribolt get where you’re coming from. I’ve always been a fusspot when it comes to food, which is why keto and carnivore appeal to me - never did like too many things on the same plate or cared too much for sauces. However, I am trying to expand my limited horizons a bit by experimenting with meat and fish that either I haven’t had before or haven’t cooked for myself. Courtesy of Waitrose and their 3 for £10 offer, next week I’ll be taking delivery of veal mince, venison mince, venison steaks, fresh tuna and wild Keta salmon, among other things. I’m in awe of your long fasts.

@Hotpepper20000 bacon definitely counts - sounds like you’re ahead of the game on real foods, but sorry about the disc pain.

And without wanting to lower the tone too much, @Brunneria, looking at some of those recipes, the spicier ones would definitely have me producing my own ‘atomic turds’. :D:hilarious:
Now I just have to figure out how to post a picture of stuffed peppers.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always cooked, mostly with real food. I like the idea of seasonal and local, but not of the inflated prices that sometimes accompany such!
Tonights task was to a make a sweetheart cabbage be the main ingredient to feed 3 adults without the other 2 noticing the meal was mainly cabbage.

Spices to the rescue.
Melt butter (or coconut oil) in sauce pan. Add tablespoon mustard seeds until pop. Add a bit of turmeric, pinch dried chilli and quarter red pepper finely chopped (later looks like the fresh chilli recipe called for but larder was bare)
Add finely sliced carrot batons (just 2 small carrots) . Cook 5 minutes, turning regularly.
Add shredded cabbage. Cook 10 - 15 more minutes until cabbage soft and carrots cooked.
Served with grilled bacon.
Yum

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mayonnaise highlights the problem of deciding what is real food. Hellman's "Real" Mayonnaise is 78% rapeseed oil which many people seem to despise. Cheese and bacon are processed foods that don't occur naturally, where do we draw the line?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mayonnaise highlights the problem of deciding what is real food. Hellman's "Real" Mayonnaise is 78% rapeseed oil which many people seem to despise. Cheese and bacon are processed foods that don't occur naturally, where do we draw the line?
I draw the line at an ingredients list I don't recognise, or with a lot of items on it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Personally I’d view commercially produced mayonnaise as processed food, not real food. Cheese and bacon are processed - but not heavily so. The intent of this thread is to focus on celebrating foods that are fresh, with minimal - ideally 1 - ingredients. However, it’s perfectly acceptable to talk about a bit of mayo here and there.

I’d welcome a discussion on what constitutes real/processed food, but in another thread as such a debate would be derailing this one. Over to you.....

Hotpepper20000

I make my own mayo with olive oil and farm fresh eggs

Reactions: Brunneria

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Old rule
If granny wouldn't recognise it Don't eat it
If it has more than 5 ingredients Don't eat it
might be a little difficult !!!!:)
Carol

Reactions: Chrisc9492 and DJC3

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ohh Last night I scored some reduced Iberico pork from Waitrose. It was quite exceptionally delicious. Thin slices, quickly fried. Actually it reminded me that pork is often better beaten thin and flash-fried. Stops it being dry and tough, as it can go sometimes.

Also, almond-flour chaffles with smoked salmon and cream cheese for breakfast this weekend. Does this count? Feels decadent but really simple and not as pricey as you might think.

On bacon, Finnebrogue nitrite-free bacon is good. Tasty and meaty!

I didn’t do so well on Abstenuary February because I was massively snowed under at work so couldn’t get out for walking. Not bad on food, I have cut my nut intake down and I don’t eat rubbish anymore anyway, but I did want to get outside more. It’s much easier now so I think I need to implement ‘Marching into March’ for myself!

Reactions: DJC3 and Ceppo

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That pork sounds delicious @TeddyTottie - lucky you!

I have some ox cheek bubbling away at the moment. Smells delicious.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MrsA2 hello. I read your cabbage recipe with great interest. One of my favourites at present is sweetheart cabbage fried in olive oil with, chopped onion and pieces of bacon. Yum

Reactions: MrsA2

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I cooked a beef stew (just 2kg beef, a can of Guinness, onion and new potatoes for Mr B)
Today will be pork in scrumpy (just 2kg pork shoulder steaks, a can of scrumpy, and onion)
I do tweak the seasonings a bit at the end, and Mr B usually adds cauliflower or broccoli cheese to his bowl.

so now I have to do The Freezer Shuffle to reorganise the blocks of cauli/broc cheese to fit the stews in...

but I have 1.5kg of basa fillets that can come out of freezer, be cooked into a smoked cheese and cream sauce, portioned up, and then back in the freezer.

phew! That’ll set up up for a nice long restful stint of pulling real food ‘ready meals’ meals out of freezer while I avoid much time in kitchen ;) win win win :hilarious:

Reactions: pms543 and HSSS