What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner: chicken drumsticks, leafy salad, coleslaw and a small packet of Cheesies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the meatza looks great and you have great self control if it’ll last you 3 days!
I took that as a challenge so here's today's meal; day 3 of my meatza :)
Now to think of something to cook tomorrow.

162961336_10223124676059616_1772484609463380341_o.jpg

Cat Maartje is starting to settle in his new home, although he had a bit of a setback today after getting stuck in the litter box. It's one of those closed litter boxes with a door, which is new to Maartje, so his new owner had to save him. After that it was back under the closet for the afternoon, but earlier today he came out for cuddles so I think he'll do just fine :)

I also bought things to put in a box to send to my aunt, who is currently recovering from a broken hip. She told me she was hungry in the evenings because dinner is served so early. So she has been hiding the applesauce from dinner to save for a late night snack. Which is ridiculous, as she has a visitor every day and she has a fridge in her room as well. Besides, she has T2, so the applesauce isn't likely to improve either sleep or healing :facepalm:.
I have a very pretty box which I'll fill with hard cheeses, dried French sausages, cheese pops, mixed nuts, a small knife and a small cutting board, and freshly made chocolate/nut things. And a small black dog stuffed animal, because her own small black dog is now with family for the time being.
I'll keep everything in the fridge until monday afternoon and bring it to the post office right before the post comes to collect packages :)
She won't go hungry again for the rest of the week, and she's likely to go home after next weekend, as she's recovering ridiculously quick!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took that as a challenge so here's today's meal; day 3 of my meatza :)
Now to think of something to cook tomorrow.

162961336_10223124676059616_1772484609463380341_o.jpg

Cat Maartje is starting to settle in his new home, although he had a bit of a setback today after getting stuck in the litter box. It's one of those closed litter boxes with a door, which is new to Maartje, so his new owner had to save him. After that it was back under the closet for the afternoon, but earlier today he came out for cuddles so I think he'll do just fine :)

I also bought things to put in a box to send to my aunt, who is currently recovering from a broken hip. She told me she was hungry in the evenings because dinner is served so early. So she has been hiding the applesauce from dinner to save for a late night snack. Which is ridiculous, as she has a visitor every day and she has a fridge in her room as well. Besides, she has T2, so the applesauce isn't likely to improve either sleep or healing :facepalm:.
I have a very pretty box which I'll fill with hard cheeses, dried French sausages, cheese pops, mixed nuts, a small knife and a small cutting board, and freshly made chocolate/nut things. And a small black dog stuffed animal, because her own small black dog is now with family for the time being.
I'll keep everything in the fridge until monday afternoon and bring it to the post office right before the post comes to collect packages :)
She won't go hungry again for the rest of the week, and she's likely to go home after next weekend, as she's recovering ridiculously quick!

That warmed my heart! What a lovely thoughtful gift for your aunt.
I’m so glad Maartje is starting to settle, in spite of litter box issues.
I’m still amazed your meatza lasted 3 days. I reckon I’d have eaten it in one, it looked great.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Well!
Breakfast nut granola, CWC
CWC
Lunch, 2x ryvita spread with butter and mayonnaise. 2x hardboiled eggs. Was very rushed so no time to mash eggs into mayonnaise.
Cup of tea
Tea,
Coffee
Dinner takeaway from chip shop ( almost bound to be disaster, should have said no) sea bass, prawns, green beans.
Was supposed to be sea bass in a wrap with salad, planned to leave the wrap.
However when it arrived was battered fillet and worse the prawns were also in batter and swimming in oil.
Popped all in the oven on paper to drain off some of the oil.
Cooked some green beans to go with the fish. Peeled the batter off both fish and prawns. (You should know that I have not been able to eat deep fried battered fish for years, decades even, well before prediabetes. Always made me nauseous, often cast it back.)
So tonight, peeled batter off, cat begging for his share, but struggling because it was hot. Eventually had few tiny crisp chips. Maybe 10. Kept thinking I wanted/ needed more, had spoonful of peanut butter, which seemed to settle me down.
Wine and tonic to drink
Trying to cut down on alcohol.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday 11:30 frittata
Then family emergency intervened so fasted until 11 am today
2 scrambled egg, then
1pm mussels with 50g French bread, as libre experiment and yes, straight up to 9.7. Bread definitely off menu for ever
Dear hubby did then remind me I had been saving my Christmas first ever Godiva 90% for a special occasion, had 2 squares OMG lovely stuff. Could have eaten the whole bar in one go, so ate square of lidls 85% to kill the craving.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Thursday’s supper was my usual treat of Chunky Cod Fingers and roasted Med veg.

Yesterday brekkie was a break from the usual. I trialled two slices of Dr Almond bread buttered with a teaspoon of marmalade on each. After 2 hours my BG had only increased by 0.5. Next time I will also test after 1 hour and it will only be an occasional treat. The marmalade was Thursday Cottage Reduced Sugar Orange Marmalade which was half the carbs of the one Mr PM uses! I can’t tell you how good it tasted though. Lunch was wafer thin roast beef and coleslaw with small amount of crumbled cheddar over the top. Supper was red mullet and scallops panfried in lemon butter and remainder of Roast Med veg. Th
This morning was my usual brekkie of slice HiLo toast and tea. Lunch was prawn cocktail Little Gem leaves and a small avocado. Tonight is Indian t/a so will be Tandoori King Prawn, cauli bhajee and one popadom.
On Sunday Mr PM usually cooks me some bacon and eggs.
Early evening we plan to bbq a selection of meats.

@Antje77 I can only i agine the delight on your aunt’s face when she gets your parcel. Its good to hear that Maartje is settling, cats respond well to kindness and attention.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bad bad hubby has been learning to cook again
D : aubergine curry with last nights leftover takeaway biryani to test on my libre
Blueberries and cream
Then he produced h/m full sugar Eccles cakes!! Including his own butter flaky pastry. Tried to stop at one bite. Got to 3 before walking away
Bad bad hubby

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and a Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheap, tasty, low carb and likely an abomination to 'real' food lovers, as it has multiple shortcuts on the real food part.
I cooked the broccoli and the snow peas. I fried an onion and some mushrooms with a drop of Thai fish sauce.
And then I fried some garlic and a chilli pepper and added a chopped up block of pressed frozen whiting, the cheapest fish there is. And I added half a (99 cents) pack of surimi sticks.
I put everything together, added some water and the contents of the little bags of flavouring coming with two packs of the cheapest brand of instant dry ramen (duck flavour and shrimp flavour). (I threw the noodles away because even the chickens won't eat them.)

It was a very nice meal, and there's enough left for two smaller portions, so I'll have the same with an added tuna melt muffin the coming days :hungry:

163324299_10223132304250316_3287829055965803081_o.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Today I had a cheese crusted omelette with salad for lunch. https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/jills-cheese-crusted-keto-omelet I used to make this quite a lot and I’d forgotten how good it is
Fab rib eye steak for dinner ( reverse seared - wish I’d taken a photo but I was too eager to get stuck in) with salad leaves and avocado, fried mushrooms and a couple of glasses of wine.
2 mugs of cocoa tea instead of pudding. This is working very well and once again thanks to @Goonergal for telling me about the tea.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late Sat morn breakfast yesterday as I went for my blood tests early, griddled steak and eggs and tomatoes, cold meat and salad with some goat cheese mixed through it, pork chops and veggies, gravy for dinner.

The goat cheese has a nice bite to it for a mild cheese, it would be good on jatz crackers except for the carbs.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast, grain free nut granola. CWC
CWC
Lunch. 2x ryvita buttered ( not trying to lose weight, just a convenient base with known amount of carbs) 2 eggs, generous tbs mayonnaise, slice of ham, cup of tea
Watching rugby is thirsty work. Started on the wine.
Dinner for the men: chicken with lemony potatoes and ham, for me yesterdays chicken and new potatoes rewarmed - resistant starch and all that. Bang bang cauliflower and spring greens. Small amount of wine went in the gravy, drank the rest of the bottle. Shocking! But delicious.
Several pieces of wenslydale cheese with apricots. Not really a low carb food, but much better than the cheesecake I was considering.
Lemon tea at bedtime.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Scrambled eggs & bacon
Cheese Chips (two slices of cheese)
Almonds (2 lots of 5 almonds)
Chicken Satay Stirfry (no rice)
4 coffees (dash of milk and Equal Sweetener)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday 16 March bed 7.8 FBG also 7.8. I have a cold lurking! Grandson is managing to mid morning and school is happy me teaching is not detrimental (he's well ahead) so they're happy to try to edge him in slowly as he's not panicking or having meltdowns. @DJC3 & @PenguinMum - I'd hoped to mix up a batch of my flour substitute today to have a go at a carb reduced shortbread but I ended up with a lot of other prep and cooking. Hubby wanted steak pie (but made from scratch!) and I have a huge pot of trippa alla romagna on the go (Italian tripe) since the butcher sourced a load for me. Still, I'll get there. I'm behind again.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing
D. A fishy assortment. A cold poached salmon fillet with 6 large prawns and a slice of smoked salmon. Some waldorf salad and 4 mozzarella balls. A DGF coffee and walnut. Still finding it a bit dense.

Wednesday 17 March bed 7.8 FBG 7.6. Cold now full blown.
B. TAG and SLC toast with Dairylea.
L. Nothing apart from water and paracetamol!
D. More fishy stuff - last of the prawns and smoked salmon, mozzarella balls, last of the waldorf salad and a few mini tomatoes. A DGF St Clement's.

Thursday 18 March bed 7.2 FBG 6.9. Cold is easing but still needs paracetamol.

B. TAG and 2 of 8foods red pepper and tomato crackers with M&S whipped cheese.
L. Nothing
D. Duck stir fry with cauliflower rice, mix of pea shoots, mushrooms and bamboo shoots and Thai red curry. A few cherries.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunch - 1 slice slc bread buttered with corned beef & tomato. 1 Lemon drizzle DGF. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - warm chargrilled chicken & avocado salad. 1 ginger DGF warmed in microwave with double thick cream drizzled over the top

@maglil55 DGF delivered to me this morning :) - it only arrived at Peterborough at 8pm last night - so hopefully the Peterborough carry on has finished
Fingers crossed. Mine was the same. It arrived at Peterborough in the afternoon and left in the evening. I've just put a SLC order in and, yes, I've ordered the hot cross buns. I reckon I can have a very low carb day to allow for them.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Rachox they look awesome and not too many ingredients, the butter seems to be key!
Traditional Scottish shortbread is only flour, butter and caster sugar. The issue with us is, of course, the flour. My mother and grandma used to add some cornflour to the mix which apparently helps to make it "short". Sugar can be solved with Monk Fruit (which with a whizz in a processor can become caster). Butter, I was taught to get it cold, cut into cubes and rub into the flour quickly. If the butter started melting your fingers were too warm! So always wash you hands in cold water and put your mix back in the fridge (or then the aired pantry). Add the sugar and they also added 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Almond flour on it's own won't produce the shortbread taste I'm longing for. I might have to do a bit of milling with the Kenwood as well! My education in baking as a child has stuck with me! (Oh, you have to refrigerate when the dough comes together).

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slc rolls (1 on fried egg & the other on bacon). Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - 1 small naughty slice of pizza from son's take-away and 3 chicken drumsticks with mayo. Sweet of gooey peanut butter & 90% lindtt melted in microwave with double cream drizzled over the top. Large glass of pepsi max

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday bed 6.6 FBG 6.7. Grandson managed another 25 mins today. We'd hoped to get him to lunch as it's only half day on Friday but it was just too long. Still, another 25 mins is good. Cold has gone so I was able to head up to brother's. I'm really not sure how much he is taking in. It is requiring a huge effort to focus on tasks. Still eating and no pain. I was there a long time today.
B. TAG and 2 8foods red pepper crackers with whipped cheese.
L. 2 mugs black tea.
D. Iceland's wild shrimp thing with 2 sliced mushrooms, more chopped tomato, thai red curry, spiralised courgette (did I say Hubby had bought me an electric spiraliser? ) Few more cherries.

@DJC3 - I noticed you had made it to Iceland. Did you find the broccoli/cauliflower things? @annabell1 - your chicken and cauliflower/pumpkin dish looked excellent. I think both your's and @Rachox's recipes will make good cookies but I'm trying the near impossible - to reproduce Scottish Shortbread with flour! If I can just get the taste right.....

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3