Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
@Fairygodmother
A Tandem Control IQ pump maybe? It's a pump linked to a Dexcom, "Advanced hybrid closed loop technology".
The way it works this side of the pond the Consultant would need to authorise that I have a pump and my bloods have, so far, been too good for that to happen. I couldn’t afford to self fund a pump so I think the only way for me to get one would be to the endure months of misery that’d accompany letting my bloods go to pot.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The way it works this side of the pond the Consultant would need to authorise that I have a pump and my bloods have, so far, been too good for that to happen. I couldn’t afford to self fund a pump so I think the only way for me to get one would be to the endure months of misery that’d accompany letting my bloods go to pot.
@Fairygodmother i have this pump in the UK and the criteria as you say is quite tough.. if you have good control the chances of getting is almost zero.. the cost to buy is about £3k and about £1800 for consumables each year without the dexcom

you alway have the option of winning the lottery :) if only!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Fairygodmother I know the problem with getting pumps and cgm’s over there. Although I had thought they had eased up on availability of pumps. But I knew the fancier ones were probably out.

With all the additional costs of Covid I don’t think it will change fast. But it has really seemed a shame that you are penalized if you have good control.

But I had wanted to know if it was a Tandem closed loop pump you were talking about. I looked for @urbanracer ‘s post as he is always keeping up on the latest. That seems to be the nicer one here right now and Omnipod is supposed to be coming out with one next year. I am curious about that one as I like tubeless pumps but I have a lower A1C than they aim for and I would have to give that up so I am not sure I will change that easily.

That is the drawback right now, it won’t let you set low enough settings for some to want it. So a lot of people have built their own loop systems.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Fairygodmother I know the problem with getting pumps and cgm’s over there. Although I had thought they had eased up on availability of pumps. But I knew the fancier ones were probably out.

With all the additional costs of Covid I don’t think it will change fast. But it has really seemed a shame that you are penalized if you have good control.

But I had wanted to know if it was a Tandem closed loop pump you were talking about. I looked for @urbanracer ‘s post as he is always keeping up on the latest. That seems to be the nicer one here right now and Omnipod is supposed to be coming out with one next year. I am curious about that one as I like tubeless pumps but I have a lower A1C than they aim for and I would have to give that up so I am not sure I will change that easily.

That is the drawback right now, it won’t let you set low enough settings for some to want it. So a lot of people have built their own loop systems.

apparently tandem are going to release a smaller patch'ish pump the t-sport i think.. obviously will have dexcom again... and as it has no buttons etc will have smartphone control...

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@searley Aww that is good to know, competition helps. Omnipod seems to be a little behind the times when they were the first to have the tubeless pump. They have the dash system, but that isn't a big deal at all. So it will be nice to have a more up to date tubeless pump, it will keep them on their toes and maybe be nicer. I just am really attached to having a tubeless pump.

I know of someone that was waiting for a pump to come out that you just put in large carb meal, med or small and it was supposed to handle all the rest of everything. She had been waiting for years to join the trials on it and finally did! And it was the biggest disappointment. She said the pump only kept her at 40-60% in range most of the time and even though it was supposed to learn, it never seemed to. She ended up dropping out of the trial after 2 months she felt so bad. It sounds like a wonderful idea though!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother i have this pump in the UK and the criteria as you say is quite tough.. if you have good control the chances of getting is almost zero.. the cost to buy is about £3k and about £1800 for consumables each year without the dexcom

you alway have the option of winning the lottery :) if only!

Hi,

That's my rough estimate on self funding a pump. Lol, sell the van & the money saved running it to buy consumables..
But then I'd litterally be going nowhere.. Certainly narrows the logistics down doing gigs. :banghead:

Technically, I didn't fit the criteria to get my Libre funded either? I just gave the endo a weak excuse that workwise I spent my days up to my elbows in muck & that testing was sometimes inappropriate.. Then I got a thumbs up.

Reactions: hh1

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi,

That's my rough estimate on self funding a pump. Lol, sell the van & the money saved running it to buy consumables..
But then I'd litterally be going nowhere.. Certainly narrows the logistics down doing gigs. :banghead:

Technically, I didn't fit the criteria to get my Libre funded either? I just gave the endo a weak excuse that workwise I spent my days up to my elbows in muck & that testing was sometimes inappropriate.. Then I got a thumbs up.

I don’t meet the criteria for Dexcom but am being provided it

Reactions: Antje77

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, lots of the stuff I was up to my ears with has been dealt with so I've been catching up with what's going on here. Fascinated by the techie stuff but I just don't fancy the idea of a pump; I'm happy having a Libre permanently stuck on me, but that's really as far as I want to go. And I don't think I'd fit the criteria anyway. Good on those of you who have them and for whom they're working well.

@Japes, good to hear from you, wouldn't want to be in your shoes - or those of any teacher - right now. My mantra throughout Covid has been 'this will end' but that must seem farther away for some of us than others. Hang on in there!

@urbanracer what's the latest on the thumb? Hopefully good news or at least progress in the right direction...

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fascinated by the techie stuff but I just don't fancy the idea of a pump; I'm happy having a Libre permanently stuck on me, but that's really as far as I want to go. And I don't think I'd fit the criteria anyway. Good on those of you who have them and for whom they're working well.

Hi

I agree.. i have a dexcom sensor and the pump attached.. and its a tubed pump so its similar to a cigarette pack attached by a 2foot string following you around... and if you wear nothing in bed.. it sort of follows you around like a lost puppy.. except a bit more annoying.. at least a puppy is warm!!

However, if life is not consistent and you have poor control because of it then a pump is great.. i have better control that i have in the last 10 years..

even just filling them, fitting new cannulas etc is a lot more fuss if you are happy and have good control.. stay that way :)

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
@urbanracer what's the latest on the thumb? Hopefully good news or at least progress in the right direction...

Thanks for asking @hh1, the good news is that my blood sugars seem to have stabilised. It happened rather abruptly so having taken an extra unit or 2, I was down to 2.4mmol. by 4am on Saturday morning. (Having not had mid-night hypo for a long time I'd forgotten how they feel.:yuck::yuck:) No unpleasant odours from the wound at the moment either so I assume therefore that the infection has subsided.

On Friday, the consultant told me he was pleased with the progress and that I just need to be patient. That's eaasier said than done when you cannot hold a pen to sign your own name. - I know! at least my thumb is still attached to my hand. :singing:Always look:singing:on the bright:singing:side of life:singing:.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone just wanted to say hello!
I am new to the forums and am excited to be a part of this community. :)

PS. Don't know if this is the right spot to write something like this
Hi there, and welcome!
Of course this is the right spot, it's a friendly chatty type 1 corner :)

But don't hesitate to check out other parts of the forum as well, there's all kinds of people and threads, so make yourself comfortable!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

Hi @Marie 2, late response I know. EoPatch, I think, a South Korean venture. It sounds as though it’s similar to a Tandem but I know too little to be sure.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting @Fairygodmother Looks almost identical to the Omnipod. Interesting!!!! Thanks!!!!!

It's good for 3.5 days. I'm assuming that means 3 days and 12 hours, which is better than Omnipod. Omnipod is good for 3 days and 8 hours which drives me a little nuts because if you have enough insulin to get through the night, you still have to change it out because of the only 8 hours extra. 12 hours at least will give you the choice to keep it through the late evening and night and be able to change it in the am.

I went to their website and it doesn't seem like it gives a lot of details though.The ADM shows a BG level trend but doesn't say what it uses to get it or exactly what it does, just says it makes some of the "burden" easier.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@hh1 Pumps aren't for everyone, that's for sure. You can get better control with it. I used to never dose for that 3 or 5 carbs or the 10 point correction, the pump, it's just a touch of a button. But with that also means it's on your mind more and needs certain attention and type 1 is something we have to think about a lot already. So it's a trade off.

Reactions: hh1

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all and a big hello and welcome to @Quinapril

Big day here, Christmas dinner with son and daughter in law and newly 4 year old grandson. Technically they were always part of our childcare bubble, but have only had the grandson in our house since September. The adults have always remained outside. We cancelled Christmas way before all the hoo ha and I put anything relevant into the freezer. Even have some crackers donated by our very kind neighbour. Three of the adults have had 2 jabs and the fourth the first. Very excited! There maybe lots of insulin involved in the consuming of this meal.