What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.9

A trying day of communication problems because I am deaf. Today it was counter Perspex screens, combined with the clear face shields worn by staff, and the sun shining in through, reflected from the shop windows opposite, creating so many reflections (that looked like multiple exposures by the camera) that I was unable to lipread the staff. Their faces behind these 'clear' screens which looked like none had been cleaned, or cleaned badly so everything was smeared, along with the reflections, made their faces look like hungry ghosts or banshees...

The transcription app I have on my phone was unable to cope either because their voices were too muffled. And by this time I was too exhausted to continue. But someone came along whom I normally deal with and helped the person dealing with me who did not know her job. But the reflections and dirty smeared counter screen meant I couldn't lipread him either. Then the cash till was playing up, and neither person could ring up my purchases. Finally it was done. And I could pay. The queue behind me by the time they finally keyed in the right numbers into the till lead out of the shop. I was totally exhausted. I slept a couple of hours when I got home, and have been dozing on and off since. It is 6pm now. And I have an entire day which has been wasted.

I might as well give up any contact/communication with real people, stay at home, and order everything online...

This digital painting in SketchesProApp I have been doing while half dozing. Inspired by Lin Fengmian.

I have a hospital appointment tomorrow. Even more communication problems with this mask wearing, protection stuff. People mumble behind a mask, and so my phone cannot transcribe their voices. People don't want to take your pen and paper from you these Covid times, to write their replies...

I might as well become a total hermit...I am drowning in this sea of mask/people protection that is these normal Covid times.

I need another sleep...

View attachment 50051
Hug for communication issues winner for the artwork and best wishes for tomorrow.

Reactions: dunelm

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good evening all :)

4.2 yesterday and 4.4 today

upset tummy yesterday evening so early to bed rather uncomfortable :sorry: better today in time for shopping, then back over to mum's for what we thought would be a shopping delivery, a quick vac round in the sitting room and half an hour sitting in the garden ;)

No such thing, Mum had a 'while you're here could you ...?' list :hilarious:
so now we're knackered and it's pretty hot here so we're hiding out inside (like @SlimLizzy we have thick stone walls ;))

Phone call from the Health Centre when we got back to say my appointment with the DN on Friday is cancelled because she's off sick, 'phone the Health Centre in the middle of next week to make a new appointment' :(

The recycling bin has been emptied whilst we were out so that went to plan at least :D

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@Muddy Cyclist - two lovely waterfalls, they look like they will provide good, inspirational source material :)

@gennepher - smart badger art but hugs for the phone trauma and to both you and Popeye for the heat stress :( Hope you get better sleep tonight.
I love your birds and foliage in the style of Lin Fengmian, really colourful and balanced :joyful:

Thank you for the information on the app, I will give it a try perhaps ;)

@dunelm - the ink dripping is going well, great scale in the first landscape and fantastic sculptural texture in today's :joyful:

art bit - was watching a bit of video of someone driving about in America, which is where the inspiration for this came from, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out :) painted on Hahnemuhle Britannia
View attachment 50034

Hope your upset tummy is okay today...

Thanks @geefull

Your painting is very effective on the larger iPad screen as well as on the small phone screen.
I like it very much.

Reactions: dunelm

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just check that when posters use the term spike in relation to foods/meals they mean a rise of 2 or more on their meter at 2 hrs (or later if it is delayed)
We eat - blood sugars go up - all nice and normal - after 2 hours it goes back down - good old organs, well done - or not - so a spike - that’s another bit of foodstuff off the menue.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone on a delightfully cool and drizzly start to the day here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of prawn salad with feta and an egg came in at 5.1 this am

Eldest son moving in today at some point. He has sold his house and bought a train wreck so needs a base until he has sorted out his new purchase - the building is sound but the interior needs quite a bit of work which will include mixing lots of plaster and skimming walls and ceilings. I shall await the before and after photos and have the town cryer shout his praises from the town square.

Still playing around with washes and drips - more depth of colour perhaps but you never quite know how these things will turn out. Have a pleasant day if you can. I need some koffy.

View attachment 50043
Interesting washes and drips @dunelm
The black bits look like squirrel or hedgehog faces...

Reactions: jjraak and dunelm

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.9

A trying day of communication problems because I am deaf. Today it was counter Perspex screens, combined with the clear face shields worn by staff, and the sun shining in through, reflected from the shop windows opposite, creating so many reflections (that looked like multiple exposures by the camera) that I was unable to lipread the staff. Their faces behind these 'clear' screens which looked like none had been cleaned, or cleaned badly so everything was smeared, along with the reflections, made their faces look like hungry ghosts or banshees...

The transcription app I have on my phone was unable to cope either because their voices were too muffled. And by this time I was too exhausted to continue. But someone came along whom I normally deal with and helped the person dealing with me who did not know her job. But the reflections and dirty smeared counter screen meant I couldn't lipread him either. Then the cash till was playing up, and neither person could ring up my purchases. Finally it was done. And I could pay. The queue behind me by the time they finally keyed in the right numbers into the till lead out of the shop. I was totally exhausted. I slept a couple of hours when I got home, and have been dozing on and off since. It is 6pm now. And I have an entire day which has been wasted.

I might as well give up any contact/communication with real people, stay at home, and order everything online...

This digital painting in SketchesProApp I have been doing while half dozing. Inspired by Lin Fengmian.

I have a hospital appointment tomorrow. Even more communication problems with this mask wearing, protection stuff. People mumble behind a mask, and so my phone cannot transcribe their voices. People don't want to take your pen and paper from you these Covid times, to write their replies...

I might as well become a total hermit...I am drowning in this sea of mask/people protection that is these normal Covid times.

I need another sleep...

View attachment 50051
Oh dear and a big hug for frustrating communications issues - fabulous painting - great colours. Hope your hospital appointment goes well - perhaps you should write a “how to communicate successfully with a deaf person with emphasis on masks and screens”. It may be of use to hearing folk who may not be thinking carefully about how to fully help.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.30am FBG 6.9
That's very high for me. Maybe late night chocolate? (only 2 squares) or peas with dinner? Disturbed night? Some very strange dreams!
Or
Lack of strenuous exercise yesterday?
Probably a combination, but whatever the cause am not happy with that reading.

The weather has changed, we are no longer baking in high temperatures, but are forecast 10 days of rain showers. Already after just one night of gentle drizzle am sure the grass is taller.

However last night I finally managed to finish Fridays jobs list. Saturdays was already done. So now working on Tuesday/Wednesday . There was no list for monday. Today's list= finish the previous lists...

It's astonishing how demotivating a grey day can be.
I am still waiting for this rain @SlimLizzy
Clear blue skies here...

I get that down on a grey day as well. I don't understand how it can drag one down so much?

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear and a big hug for frustrating communications issues - fabulous painting - great colours. Hope your hospital appointment goes well - perhaps you should write a “how to communicate successfully with a deaf person with emphasis on masks and screens”. It may be of use to hearing folk who may not be thinking carefully about how to fully help.
Thanks @dunelm

I already have one of those notices I carry around in my bag at all times.

I find hospitals to be the worst of places for communication.

The thing is, I am mentally and physically exhausted afterwards, and it can take a day or so to recuperate.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
A better day today in Cumbria with a light breeze and strong sunshine and at a temperatureof 18 deg C at present it seems plenty warm enough.
Yesterday it reached 14 deg with a constant drizzle and cool breeze all day.
What a difference!

Tomorrow I shall be picked up on the eye hospital transport to go to Preston down the M6 for a eye appointment to check my state of health to get my remaining cataract in my right eye done within the month. So I hope its not too hot and I don' t like not being in control and being driven!
It will be great having my telescope dominant eye back to normal....I hope!

Face mask to be worn for at least six hours except when eating my nosh.
D.
Hugs for the powerlessness of not being in control and being driven @lindisfel

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We eat - blood sugars go up - all nice and normal - after 2 hours it goes back down - good old organs, well done - or not - so a spike - that’s another bit of foodstuff off the menue.
Just so but what is considered a spike - .3, .8, 1, 2 or what? I often read that such and such "spiked" someone but the term seems to be nebulous.

Reactions: jjraak

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

4.5 today

a really warm day today although not too bad inside the big shed at the charity ;)

Mum's visitor has arrived although rather late because they missed a connection so we shall be over there tomorrow for a cuppa ;)

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@dunelm - interesting washes and drips again, bit of a whirlpool effect going on today :) It's sometimes a surprise how the level of colour ends up as things dry isn't it :sorry:

@SlimLizzy - I do agree with you about the effects of dismal days :(

@lindisfel - wishing you good fortune for the eye appointment and a hug for the need to be transported there by someone else, (mr gee isn't keen on that either).

@gennepher - another stunning painting today but a big hug for the ongoing masking hassle :sorry:, I hope tomorrow goes better for you. Rest well and take care.

@ianpspurs - for myself I've always considered that a spike is an unexpectedly larger or faster rise. For example a bg rise of 2 or under and then settling back again towards my baseline would be what I would expect (certainly what I'd prefer anyway ;)), a spike would be more extreme than that.
rise - a nice gentle curve up and down, spike - a nasty pointy thing :D

Cause for rechecking a food on another day and dropping it or mitigating the portion if it happened again :angelic:

art bit -
still working on the occasional sunset :) painted on Hahnmuhle Britannia

upload_2021-6-17_21-25-38.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just so but what is considered a spike - .3, .8, 1, 2 or what? I often read that such and such "spiked" someone but the term seems to be nebulous.
Probably is; some recent research has shown that certain foods will cause a spike in non-diabetics but as to how high you go to call it a spike does seem nebulous - when does a blip become a spike? - unless of course some medics have come down on a figure? Another hand grenade into the frey.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

4.5 today

a really warm day today although not too bad inside the big shed at the charity ;)

Mum's visitor has arrived although rather late because they missed a connection so we shall be over there tomorrow for a cuppa ;)

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@dunelm - interesting washes and drips again, bit of a whirlpool effect going on today :) It's sometimes a surprise how the level of colour ends up as things dry isn't it :sorry:

@SlimLizzy - I do agree with you about the effects of dismal days :(

@lindisfel - wishing you good fortune for the eye appointment and a hug for the need to be transported there by someone else, (mr gee isn't keen on that either).

@gennepher - another stunning painting today but a big hug for the ongoing masking hassle :sorry:, I hope tomorrow goes better for you. Rest well and take care.

@ianpspurs - for myself I've always considered that a spike is an unexpectedly larger or faster rise. For example a bg rise of 2 or under and then settling back again towards my baseline would be what I would expect (certainly what I'd prefer anyway ;)), a spike would be more extreme than that.
rise - a nice gentle curve up and down, spike - a nasty pointy thing :D

Cause for rechecking a food on another day and dropping it or mitigating the portion if it happened again :angelic:

art bit -
still working on the occasional sunset :) painted on Hahnmuhle Britannia

View attachment 50055
Yes @geefull, there was a lot more colour on the paper when it was wet - but when dry, most of it seems to have evaporated with the water. I’m liking your red skies and the reflections in the water and dotted on the sides of the hills.

Reactions: jjraak

lindisfel

Expert
Have a good friday everyone, I hope all your days prove to be fruitful without frustrations.

The weather looks set fair here in the North with bearable temperatures and a sunny day. It looks like the south will be having poor weather, but I doubt travelling to Preston will be far enough south.

The ineptitude of the N.T. by their failure to remove vegetation from the Farnes is deplorable. 1000s of Arctic Terns are now failing a second year after going to the Southern Ocean twice. The N.T. say they can't keep staff safe, due Covid, whereas the RSPB on the Coquet can! Pathetic.
D.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a bright yet cloudy day here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of chicken with celeriac chips and came in at who knows this am - my monitor died during the night so will need to fit another one.

Son’s house move went without a hitch yesterday - and then he went to work (night shift) - something to do with gear boxes for tractor engines - still he is now back and in bed and has the weekend off.
We were thinking about going to the little house on the prairie for the weekend but the outlook is not promising - still, can’t believe everything that the druids and pine cone gazers at the beeb come up with. Not much better than the head out of the window technique.

Bad art day yesterday - two rejects so painted a tree - I like trees. Hope that everyone has a fruitful Friday, especially those being driven down motorways for eye appointments. Koffy time.

upload_2021-6-18_6-53-23.jpeg

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I just check that when posters use the term spike in relation to foods/meals they mean a rise of 2 or more on their meter at 2 hrs (or later if it is delayed)
For me, especially when I was trying to figure out what my specific (in)tolerances were to amounts of carbs it was if it went above what would have been considered normal, but yeah broadly any rise in that 2 hour period from first bite I would view as a spike.

I suppose with meds it normalises it somewhat...

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been having a mixture of.protein powders when I don't have much time to eat and it has really helped my energy levels. I couldn't cope with just 2 meals a day either - so the protein powder makes an ideal light meal.
I was fine and had half the cauliflower and broccoli cheese and only woke up this morning feeling a little peckish.

With all the rain, I think I might be daring and do a baked sweet potato for lunch with some brie and bacon and then hopefully if the weather improves, have the other half of the cauliflower cheese for dinner tonight as it can be chucked in the 'meecrowahvey' (a la Nigella) or (as I prefer) the Popty-Ping.