1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UserABC2021, Apr 24, 2019.

1. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 (in remission!) · Master

Hug for communication issues winner for the artwork and best wishes for tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Expert

Hope your upset tummy is okay today...

Thanks @geefull

Your painting is very effective on the larger iPad screen as well as on the small phone screen.
    I like it very much.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

We eat - blood sugars go up - all nice and normal - after 2 hours it goes back down - good old organs, well done - or not - so a spike - that’s another bit of foodstuff off the menue.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gennepher

Interesting washes and drips @dunelm
    The black bits look like squirrel or hedgehog faces...

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. dunelm

Oh dear and a big hug for frustrating communications issues - fabulous painting - great colours. Hope your hospital appointment goes well - perhaps you should write a “how to communicate successfully with a deaf person with emphasis on masks and screens”. It may be of use to hearing folk who may not be thinking carefully about how to fully help.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. dunelm

Thanks @gennepher I was a bit disappointed in it but never mind.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gennepher

I am still waiting for this rain @SlimLizzy
    Clear blue skies here...

I get that down on a grey day as well. I don't understand how it can drag one down so much?

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. gennepher

Thanks @dunelm

I already have one of those notices I carry around in my bag at all times.

I find hospitals to be the worst of places for communication.

The thing is, I am mentally and physically exhausted afterwards, and it can take a day or so to recuperate.

• Hug Hug x 8
  9. gennepher

Hugs for the powerlessness of not being in control and being driven @lindisfel

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. gennepher

Thank you @ianpspurs

• Friendly Friendly x 6
  11. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 (in remission!) · Master

Just so but what is considered a spike - .3, .8, 1, 2 or what? I often read that such and such "spiked" someone but the term seems to be nebulous.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

good evening all :)

4.5 today

a really warm day today although not too bad inside the big shed at the charity ;)

Mum's visitor has arrived although rather late because they missed a connection so we shall be over there tomorrow for a cuppa ;)

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@dunelm - interesting washes and drips again, bit of a whirlpool effect going on today :) It's sometimes a surprise how the level of colour ends up as things dry isn't it :sorry:

@SlimLizzy - I do agree with you about the effects of dismal days :(

@lindisfel - wishing you good fortune for the eye appointment and a hug for the need to be transported there by someone else, (mr gee isn't keen on that either).

@gennepher - another stunning painting today but a big hug for the ongoing masking hassle :sorry:, I hope tomorrow goes better for you. Rest well and take care.

@ianpspurs - for myself I've always considered that a spike is an unexpectedly larger or faster rise. For example a bg rise of 2 or under and then settling back again towards my baseline would be what I would expect (certainly what I'd prefer anyway ;)), a spike would be more extreme than that.
    rise - a nice gentle curve up and down, spike - a nasty pointy thing :D

Cause for rechecking a food on another day and dropping it or mitigating the portion if it happened again :angelic:

art bit -
    still working on the occasional sunset :) painted on Hahnmuhle Britannia

upload_2021-6-17_21-25-38.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@gennepher a really stressful day. I do hope that you are feeling a bit better now after some rest.

I do like your painting.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. dunelm

Probably is; some recent research has shown that certain foods will cause a spike in non-diabetics but as to how high you go to call it a spike does seem nebulous - when does a blip become a spike? - unless of course some medics have come down on a figure? Another hand grenade into the frey.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    #45934 dunelm, Jun 18, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  15. dunelm

Yes @geefull, there was a lot more colour on the paper when it was wet - but when dry, most of it seems to have evaporated with the water. I’m liking your red skies and the reflections in the water and dotted on the sides of the hills.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Have a good friday everyone, I hope all your days prove to be fruitful without frustrations.

The weather looks set fair here in the North with bearable temperatures and a sunny day. It looks like the south will be having poor weather, but I doubt travelling to Preston will be far enough south.

The ineptitude of the N.T. by their failure to remove vegetation from the Farnes is deplorable. 1000s of Arctic Terns are now failing a second year after going to the Southern Ocean twice. The N.T. say they can't keep staff safe, due Covid, whereas the RSPB on the Coquet can! Pathetic.
    D.

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. dunelm

Good morning everyone from a bright yet cloudy day here in the dark and dangerous north
    The wonder wheel of chicken with celeriac chips and came in at who knows this am - my monitor died during the night so will need to fit another one.

Son’s house move went without a hitch yesterday - and then he went to work (night shift) - something to do with gear boxes for tractor engines - still he is now back and in bed and has the weekend off.
    We were thinking about going to the little house on the prairie for the weekend but the outlook is not promising - still, can’t believe everything that the druids and pine cone gazers at the beeb come up with. Not much better than the head out of the window technique.

Bad art day yesterday - two rejects so painted a tree - I like trees. Hope that everyone has a fruitful Friday, especially those being driven down motorways for eye appointments. Koffy time.

upload_2021-6-18_6-53-23.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  18. RFSMarch

RFSMarch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For me, especially when I was trying to figure out what my specific (in)tolerances were to amounts of carbs it was if it went above what would have been considered normal, but yeah broadly any rise in that 2 hour period from first bite I would view as a spike.

I suppose with meds it normalises it somewhat...

• Informative Informative x 5
  19. RFSMarch

RFSMarch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was fine and had half the cauliflower and broccoli cheese and only woke up this morning feeling a little peckish.

With all the rain, I think I might be daring and do a baked sweet potato for lunch with some brie and bacon and then hopefully if the weather improves, have the other half of the cauliflower cheese for dinner tonight as it can be chucked in the 'meecrowahvey' (a la Nigella) or (as I prefer) the Popty-Ping.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

5.5 for me FB_IMG_1607497859618.jpg

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook