What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

Popeye getting some cooler morning outdoor air at 5 am at the study door.
I couldn't leave my bedroom door open into the garden all night because I was worried of waking up with Mr Brock next to me in bed in the morning...

Even with all my fans going and bottles of iced water in front of them, this bungalow was 26 deg C in my bedroom. I wasn't going to last out the night, I couldn't breathe. Popeye had put himself into barely breathing survival mode. (He has done that before) And he had 2 oscillating fans on him as well as a humidifier, and a tiny personal fan next to him, and the bottles of iced water in front of the fans.. He had no intention of moving off that couch.

Finally armed with torch, I sourced the garden for something flat and biggish. The only contender was the plastic table top. So I took the legs off, and wedged it behind the two cabinets either side of my bedroom door. Opened the bedroom door into the garden and wedged that open.

Went back to bed and prayed Mr Brock would not make a midnight visit...I also liberally put peppermint essential oil on the under side of the picnic table (facing the garden) hoping it might deter Mr Brock.

Popeye woke me up at 3 am. He wanted to know why I had my bedroom door open and what was this barrier across the door. I had been worried he might get out over it, but he didn't.

Keep cool...somehow...drink plenty water or beverage of your choice...

E25DDC81-64D7-45F9-8042-F4F48CE8DE1A.jpeg

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from our little house on the prairie
The wonder wheel of ‘let’s have a salad for a change’ came in at 5.6 this am.
Must be officially Summer - all the grandchildren eligible to attend school are released from having to know anything and their brains will atrophy over the next six weeks, after which they will deny ever having learned anything that crops up in September. Eldest two are busy testing and not going out in anticipation of a trip to Spain with maternal grandparents. They will be visiting on Saturday so we have dug out our stash of Euros for them to use up before they reach their use by date, having festered, unused, in a drawer for the past two years.

Art bit today - a bit minimalist, just a couple of spurges, unsized rice paper, about a third width A4. Have a bombastic bin day. Try saying that while slurping Monsoon Malabar - only just found out that the Monsoon bit is the name of drying process.

upload_2021-7-21_6-51-40.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.5

I couldn't leave my bedroom door open into the garden all night because I was worried of waking up with Mr Brock next to me in bed in the morning...

Even with all my fans going and bottles of iced water in front of them, this bungalow was 26 deg C in my bedroom. I wasn't going to last out the night, I couldn't breathe. Popeye had put himself into barely breathing survival mode. (He has done that before) And he had 2 oscillating fans on him as well as a humidifier, and a tiny personal fan next to him, and the bottles of iced water in front of the fans.. He had no intention of moving off that couch.

Finally armed with torch, I sourced the garden for something flat and biggish. The only contender was the plastic table top. So I took the legs off, and wedged it behind the two cabinets either side of my bedroom door. Opened the bedroom door into the garden and wedged that open.

Went back to bed and prayed Mr Brock would not make a midnight visit...I also liberally put peppermint essential oil on the under side of the picnic table (facing the garden) hoping it might deter Mr Brock.

Popeye woke me up at 3 am. He wanted to know why I had my bedroom door open and what was this barrier across the door. I had been worried he might get out over it, but he didn't.

View attachment 50522
26 deg C - very hot and got to feel for pets - I took the temperature of the pavement on our street the other day - 56 deg C - ouch for paws. I am now envisaging you designing some form of Heath Robinson Punkah to further the air circulation but then a punkawallah just means the person with the fans - and you already have fans.

upload_2021-7-21_7-1-20.jpeg

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.5

View attachment 50522
@gennepher thank goodness you found a way to keep cool overnight and that Popeye is OK.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.6:this morning. Another sunny but not horrendously warm day here in East Anglia. Off shortly for the first dog walk of the day. The second dog walk will be in the evening when it is cooler.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
26 deg C - very hot and got to feel for pets - I took the temperature of the pavement on our street the other day - 56 deg C - ouch for paws. I am now envisaging you designing some form of Heath Robinson Punkah to further the air circulation but then a punkawallah just means the person with the fans - and you already have fans.

View attachment 50525
Thanks @dunelm

So, a treadle footpad working the fan, reading the book, and getting exercise at the same time...very effective...

That is horrendously hot for little paws...56 C...

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
7.20am FBG 5.6
visit to the Mairie yesterday produced the phone numbers of three local tree surgeons. None are answering their phones. It seems likely they are Jullietistes. So visited some friends who called another friend and eventually through a convoluted chain of acquaintances came up with an English tree surgeon. (This was after they had tried two more French ones. )
Tree surgeon is coming this morning to take the tree down.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7.20am FBG 5.6
visit to the Mairie yesterday produced the phone numbers of three local tree surgeons. It seems likely they are Jullietistes. So visited some friends who called another friend and eventually through a convoluted chain of acquaintances came up with an English tree surgeon. (This was after they had tried two more French ones. )
Tree surgeon is coming this morning to take the tree down.
Sad that the tree has to come down. Wonder what caused it to suddenly lean. Will you take cuttings and grow more?
https://www.gardenguides.com/124654-start-walnut-tree-cutting.html

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to yet more summer for us crazy Brits still on these shores. My mandatory mackerel and avo salad produced a very, very beige indeed 5.2. Ceiling fans in our "lounge" and master bedroom work amazingly well - both were on my remove asap list but last summer showed their value. Our dogs love "their" paddling pool:arghh: . @gennepher hug for yourself and Popeye in the heat. @dunelm enjoy the LHOTP and grandchildren. We have 1 today, then 3, then 5 . then 6.9 @SlimLizzy good news on the tree surgeon - Jullietistes:). As a teacher I was more of an Aoûtien until the pre-results day at least. I bailed out of landscaping yesterday after moving 800 litres of playbark and some gravel boards. Project tbc. @Krystyna23040 no thunderstorms your way either? Literally chill out folks.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to yet more summer for us crazy Brits still on these shores. My mandatory mackerel amd avo salad produced a very, very beige indeed 5.2. Ceiling fans in our "lounge" and master bedroom work amazingly well - both were on my remove asap list but last summer showed their value. Our dogs love "their" paddling pool:arghh: . @gennepher hug for yourself and Popeye in the heat. @dunelm enjoy the LHOTP and grandchildren. We have 1 today, then 3, then 5 . then 6.9 @SlimLizzy good news on the tree surgeon - Jullietistes. As a teacher I was more of an Aoûtien until the pre-results day at least. I bailed out of landscaping yesterday after moving 800 litres of playbark and some gravel boards. Project tbc. @Krystyna23040 no thunderstorms your way either? Literally chill out folks.
Thanks @ianpspurs
I wouldn't mind some ceiling fans!!!!!!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from our little house on the prairie
The wonder wheel of ‘let’s have a salad for a change’ came in at 5.6 this am.
Must be officially Summer - all the grandchildren eligible to attend school are released from having to know anything and their brains will atrophy over the next six weeks, after which they will deny ever having learned anything that crops up in September. Eldest two are busy testing and not going out in anticipation of a trip to Spain with maternal grandparents. They will be visiting on Saturday so we have dug out our stash of Euros for them to use up before they reach their use by date, having festered, unused, in a drawer for the past two years.

Art bit today - a bit minimalist, just a couple of spurges, unsized rice paper, about a third width A4. Have a bombastic bin day. Try saying that while slurping Monsoon Malabar - only just found out that the Monsoon bit is the name of drying process.

View attachment 50523
Brilliant @dunelm
I like this very much :)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.5 today

back from our weekly shopping trip and got everything sorted out and put away plus the bin is out ready for the 'scavvy' wagon so we feel free to sit down with a large mug of good coffee before we go to mum's ;)

we have a surprisingly cool and misty morning here for now (13-14'C) :)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@ianpspurs - lift and shift in high temperatures is no fun, we managed to get a bit of grass mowed at mum's yesterday but had to knock off because it got too hot :sorry:

@SlimLizzy - that will be a relief, shame to lose the walnut tree but better that than the house :sorry:

@gennepher - a fun story of Popeye and his girl ;) and a fine portrait of Popeye contemplating the garden. I'm glad we don't have such heat but your solution for overnight cooling was inventive as always :)

@dunelm - a striking bit of minimalist art today, I like it very much :)
those pavement temperatures would be unbearable for any pet feet (or for any human unwary enough to be barefoot ):(

art bit - trying to do a bit of art most days but I notice there tend to be a lot of seascapes, hope it's not too boring
upload_2021-7-21_11-39-39.jpeg

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Fbg this morning 5.2.

Water back on.

And my Amazing Grandson Has in 5 years gone from having virtually no academic qualifications to a BSc hons First in Economics we are euphoric. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.5 today

back from our weekly shopping trip and got everything sorted out and put away plus the bin is out ready for the 'scavvy' wagon so we feel free to sit down with a large mug of good coffee before we go to mum's ;)

we have a surprisingly cool and misty morning here for now (13-14'C) :)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@ianpspurs - lift and shift in high temperatures is no fun, we managed to get a bit of grass mowed at mum's yesterday but had to knock off because it got too hot :sorry:

@SlimLizzy - that will be a relief, shame to lose the walnut tree but better that than the house :sorry:

@gennepher - a fun story of Popeye and his girl ;) and a fine portrait of Popeye contemplating the garden. I'm glad we don't have such heat but your solution for overnight cooling was inventive as always :)

@dunelm - a striking bit of minimalist art today, I like it very much :)
those pavement temperatures would be unbearable for any pet feet (or for any human unwary enough to be barefoot ):(

art bit - trying to do a bit of art most days but I notice there tend to be a lot of seascapes, hope it's not too boring
View attachment 50536
Beatiful seascape @geefull and certainly not too much for me. Your depictions are about as close to the coast as I want to be thanks. Ageing is no fun. I used to love digging trenches in this weather:bigtears::bigtears:

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.