Worrying all the time

Elaine karen

Hi everyone can I jus ask what milk is best please. My Dr and DN say I need to put a bit of weight on where I lost alot of weight through diabetes. But I have been told I've got 2 gallstones and got to watch fat intake. So vicious circle. So I normally have lactose semi skimmed which is 5.1g which I think is good with my cereal. But I've looked at soya milk and it says no carbs or sugar. In the meantime my dietician says she wants me to have semi skimmed because we all need carbs still. My sugars do spike still with the lactose but DN said its ok because levels start coming down after 2 hours. Don't know what to do. Many thanks for advice

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I think a gall stone flare up should be best avoided & try & find calories from other sources, maybe nuts?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this a continuation of your previous thread with this title? I am not sure why you need to drink more milk instead of eating more low carb food instead.

Elaine karen

Is this a continuation of your previous thread with this title? I am not sure why you need to drink more milk instead of eating more low carb food instead.
Sorry for confusing you still trying to work forum out. It's not a case of drinking more milk, it's what milk do diabetics normally recomend. Because someone I work with mentioned soya milk

Elaine karen

How many carbs are in the cereal or porridge you're eating?
If you're eating regular cereal I don't think the carbs from the milk will make much of a difference.

Carbs will make your blood glucose rise, no matter the source, so I'd have a look at the back of your carton of soya milk and your carton of regular milk and choose the one with fewer carbs.
The soya milk carton has got zero fir carbs and sugar. Its only dietician says I need the carbs as well as calcium. Thank u

Reactions: Antje77

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
It would be helpful to know whether you are Type 1 or Type 2 and what treatment you have been prescribed.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Altho0ugh you need to avoid fats due to gall stones you can still have proteins and your body can get the glucose it needs from proteins. Your body doesn't actually need any carbs as long as it can get glucose from the other foods you eat which would normally include fats so some common sense is needed.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for confusing you still trying to work forum out. It's not a case of drinking more milk, it's what milk do diabetics normally recomend. Because someone I work with mentioned soya milk
It would really help us other members if you could fill in the profile and information so we know what type of diabetic you are, and what diabetic medication you are on, if any. This is because some suggestions may not be suitable for all types of diabetics or all types of medications. We wouldnt want to offer inappropriate suggestions.

Reactions: Elaine karen

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As far as I can see the OP is T1
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/the-heat.183127/
Diagnosed in October 2020?

So I don't really see an issue with carbs, particularly if she wants to gain weight. Go the semi-skimmed milk, if that's what you like @Elaine karen . My recommendation would be to listen to your doctor and DN. The low carb advice here is primarily intended for T2s, though some T1s find their levels easier to control with low carb.

Karen if you click on your name at the top right of the forum, you can go into your profile page. There you can enter your diabetes type.

Reactions: lucylocket61

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi everyone can I jus ask what milk is best please. My Dr and DN say I need to put a bit of weight on where I lost alot of weight through diabetes. But I have been told I've got 2 gallstones and got to watch fat intake. So vicious circle. So I normally have lactose semi skimmed which is 5.1g which I think is good with my cereal. But I've looked at soya milk and it says no carbs or sugar. In the meantime my dietician says she wants me to have semi skimmed because we all need carbs still. My sugars do spike still with the lactose but DN said its ok because levels start coming down after 2 hours. Don't know what to do. Many thanks for advice
Gallstones are formed by calcium and cholesterol. Mainly hereditary like high cholesterol. Look at your cholesterol levels. You need high HDL ok. Watch cholesterol not fat you're eating. Walk alot too. If you have no stones now then on making these changes... you won't get any. Sludge is caused by an ill gallbladder. Sludge isn't stones.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Your Dr may find you will never have any issues or pain from your 2 stones and they may pass out of your system without any I'll effects. Only a portion of people have dangerous stones.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do the two gallstones you have been diagnosed with actually cause problems @Elaine karen ? If not then I would concentrate on eating and drinking things that are suitable for your diabetes lifestyle and only consider changes for the gall stone disease if and when they cause a problem.

Reactions: ickihun

Elaine karen

Do the two gallstones you have been diagnosed with actually cause problems @Elaine karen ? If not then I would concentrate on eating and drinking things that are suitable for your diabetes lifestyle and only consider changes for the gall stone disease if and when they cause a problem.
No I didn't even know I had them was only wen thy scanned me last year thinking I had pancreas cancer, that they found them but dr said get them out bcos later in life maybe more difficult. But thy really don't bother me so feel inclined not to hav them out. I ask for 2nd scan. Need to get head around diabetes 1st.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No I didn't even know I had them was only wen thy scanned me last year thinking I had pancreas cancer, that they found them but dr said get them out bcos later in life maybe more difficult. But thy really don't bother me so feel inclined not to hav them out. I ask for 2nd scan. Need to get head around diabetes 1st.
I'm a poster with multiple health conditions and once I have my diabetes running well I feel hugely better ad anything on top runs much smoother. I've just had my gallbladder removed and the incisions have healed beautifully. Even better than an op's wounds 2yr ago. I'm on hugely less insulin but I'm a type2 not type1. I've been heavily monitoring my bgs 6 times a day before and after my op. It has paid off. I'm assuming I've healed better inside too. I'm trying to research how to avoid/reduce scar tissue but not alot around but it's well known diabetics heal slower..... Hence this is an advantage or disadvantage it's unknown. I'll always be interested in my health regardless of which area is needing the iminient attention but keeping my bgs to the best they can be is keeping the backbone of your health in the right place.
Ps. NHS won't want to remove gallbladder in someone in their latter years so surgeon is right. The earlier the better as we don't need our gallbladder. I can eat same food. Even immediately after laparscopic cholecystectomy.
You're wise to put your type1 first. There is some excellent knowledgeable type1s on here who know where your coming from. It is different for type2s but everyone no matter their type has to have good diabetic control to get the best outcome from any operation.
You will rock this but it takes time. Time you must give yourself. Don't be rushed. If it's an elective operation.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some time ago now, I knew someone who was diagnosed with gallstones and was told they'd need an operation, but somehow they were overlooked and by the time it was realised the scan was out of date, so another one was organised, and no stones were found.
I suspect that they stopped doing low fat dieting - I know they were eating fried foods - and that the gall bladder emptied itself.
For many a life without a gall bladder is not a problem, but it is still a serious operation.

Your dietician is wrong about the need for carbs - I usually eat 40 gm of carbs a day for their taste, texture and the vitamins and minerals they contain, but they are not essential - I often manage to survive for a day or so without any but others go total carnivore and seem to be OK.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

I see from your previous posts you are prescribed Novomix? Are you instructed to take fixed doses?
If you have been advised to take semi skimmed as part of your diet, & it is to your taste? Then stick with with that.

There can be issues with changing diet & using a fixed working profile of insulin in that there isn't the same flexibility one might get with an MDI or pump regime... The fats in certain diatary combinations can delay digestion which in turn could cause a drop as exogenous the starts to work before the BG has a chance to give it anything to work with..?

Testing with your meter is key. Did you mention a while back you use a Libre too?

Elaine karen

Hi,

I see from your previous posts you are prescribed Novomix? Are you instructed to take fixed doses?
If you have been advised to take semi skimmed as part of your diet, & it is to your taste? Then stick with with that.

There can be issues with changing diet & using a fixed working profile of insulin in that there isn't the same flexibility one might get with an MDI or pump regime... The fats in certain diatary combinations can delay digestion which in turn could cause a drop as exogenous the starts to work before the BG has a chance to give it anything to work with..?

Testing with your meter is key. Did you mention a while back you use a Libre too?
Yes I got the libre 2

Reactions: ickihun